[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>there are actually people on /mu/ who think rock music has

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

File: Jools-Holland-Image.jpg (823KB, 2001x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Jools-Holland-Image.jpg
823KB, 2001x2000px
>there are actually people on /mu/ who think rock music has inherently more artistic merit than electronic and hlp hop music
>>
but it does
>>
>>70608956
It does though.
>>
>>70608956
it does

we all know that edm is inherently cookie cutter shit and pushed by record label executives to make money. all the "artists" are created in a board room.

it doesn't matter if their supposedly "underground" and labeled things like "house" or "techno" or "garage" or "jungle" or "footwork". it's all the same shit and has no merit whatsoever.

/bleep/ can suck my dick
>>
File: 170px-Johannes_Brahms_1853.jpg (11KB, 170x234px) Image search: [Google]
170px-Johannes_Brahms_1853.jpg
11KB, 170x234px
>my popular music is better than your popular music

Plebs
>>
>>70608963
>>70608973
>>70608977
Wow OP, I can't believe you were right.
>>
>>70608977
What about artists like Oneohtrix Point Never, Boards of Canada, or Tim Hecker?
>>
>>70609000
heavy trips
>>
>>70608963
>>70608973
>>70608977
>>70609000
man this is as embarrassing as a youtube comments section for Led Zeppelin
>>
Rock music sucks at just about everything it tries to do.

In-depth complexity? Classical and jazz got you covered along with their ilk.

Visceral, "body" music? Everything electronic music's more dancey stuff to it's more abrasive industrial/harsh noise/power electronics stuff got you covered.

Exploration of timbres and textures? That's what the more ambient and experimental genres of electronic music offer.

Lyrics? Folk, country, hip hop, etc. all got you covered.

Culture in its context for older definitions of civilizations? Actual traditional music has it.

Rock music is the boring middle ground that ultimately offers nothing at all.
>>
File: ComeOnNow.jpg (56KB, 960x600px) Image search: [Google]
ComeOnNow.jpg
56KB, 960x600px
>Lyrics
>hip hop
>>
>>70609039
jack of all trades, a master of none
but oftentimes better than a master of one
>>
>>70608956
All music has artistic merit. Problem is, is that with electronic and hip hop being relatively new genres compared to rock, is that survivor's effect hasnt kicked in. Nobody remembers the shitty music from the 70s. But, we do remember the good albums. Same with hip hop; llmatic is still spun by everyone, as is SAW with electronica. Good music is out there for all genres, as is bad music, they're just young genres.
>>
>>70609094
Electronic music has been around longer than rock.
>>
>>70609094
most dance music isn't rooted around albums also
>>
>>70609094
This. Classical music circles all of popular music twice, even thrice over with the amount of mediocre to bad composers but they're completely lost to time.
>>
>>70609079
Not really. A lot of avant garde classical for example covers the complexity, visceral, and exploration of timbres/textures all in one all at once better than rock ever can.

Hip hop also tends to bring visceral rhythmic grooves with far better lyrical play than rock music as well.
>>
>>70609119
Wait, what? Im encompassing all rock music; including the blues. I may be 100% wrong though. Electronic didn't gain particular traction until late 70s, though.
>>70609126
True, but the rule still applies
>>
>>70609162
Scaheffer, Halim and Co were recording electronic music in the 40s
>>
>>70609162
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_music
>>
>>70609157
rec me some of this avant garde classical pls
>>
>>70609162
Lol, people talking out their ass when a simple google search (>>70609181) has the actual facts
>>
>>70609212
Stockhausen
>>
>>70609212
Stockhausen - Kontakte
Pendericki - Threnody To The Victims Of Hiroshima
George Crumb - Black Angels
>>
>>70609226
>>70609234
ty
>>
>>70609181
>>70609174
>>70609215

Blues, which directly fed into the creation of rock and roll similar to Futurists experimenting with electric sonic stuff fed into electronic, started after the civil war as free slaves were able to transfer their slave songs to other instruments.
Im not really quite sure what point you're trying to prove.
>>
>>70609039
May not contribute much to the widespread concept of music, but it offers energetic entertainment more than other genres. Who wouldn't want to see The Who in their prime for example?
>>
>>70609305
That the blues are blues and rock is rock.

Electronic music is anything made with electronic instruments.

Or were you comparing rock to another actual genre like techno? House? Ambient?
>>
>>70609317
>but it offers energetic entertainment more than other genres
Not really. Electronic music has it beat by a long shot, literally offering more energetic entertainment (look at how long these shows go on compared to The Who.) The Who were more about that "rock star" celebrity bullshit.
>>
>>70609327
I was comparing it to more structured genres, yeah. Techno, specifically.
>>
>>70608956
>it's a "/mu/ not only conflates all 40 years dance music with Americanized cookie cutter 'EDM' that's in the charts, but the whole of electronic music as well" episode

ffs
>>
It does. They are right.
>>
>>70609356
Okay then yes, techno is young atm compared to rock. Nobody could remember techno from the 70s because it didn't exist until 1983 but anyone who is into techno knows Jeff Mills, Belleville 3 and Cybotron.
>>
>>70609391
[citations needed]
>>
>>70608995
Underrated post
>>
>>70608977
How often are you going to keep posting the same bullshit?
>>
>>70609503
lmao at this triggered bleep fag

it's fucking true idk why you guys try so hard to be special snowflakes
>>
>>70609537
I primarily listen to metal, you're just a faggot
>>
>>70609537
What if you were the tryhard all along?
>>
>>70609537
did someone on bleep make fun of you or something? it's just banter bro
>>
>>70609537
>it's fucking true

It objectively isn't.

>>70609613
His gf run off with a DJ
>>
>>70609631
DJs are talentless they all just press play on their macbooks to a prerecorded playlist of their shitty ass music that's been ghost produced by some swedish guy and all sounds the same and wave their hands in the air
>>
>>70609645
Again, objectively false.

Have you got any actual arguments or just b8?
>>
>>70609645
ya know i had the same opinion when i was 12 and red hot chili peppers was my fav band
>>
>>70609645
Rock requires no skill, a bunch of hacks who barely know any theory trying as hard as physically possible to show off how good at playing their instrument they are. They hop around on stage for a while "shredding" extremely boring phrases that all sound the same.
>>
>>70609656
>>70609668
prove me wrong then
>>
>>70609689
You would ignore it if we did.
>>
>>70608963
>>70608973
>>70608977
Hello rockists. Want me to help your find steak recipes on your iPad? I know technology can be very hard to understand for people of your age. Don't fret.
>>
>>70609689
The onus of proof is on you with your silly baseless claims.
>>
i dont know how you could even know what juke is and think that it's corporate wtf
>>
>>70609732
>DUDE 4 ON THE FLOOR LMAO
>>
>>70608956
Get back in your box until NYE Jools
>>
classical >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> jazz >>>>> rock = electronic genres / hip hop = pop
>>
I hate to post a serious response in a thread of memes and shitposts, but I do feel there is more that can be done with form/ song structure and melody in a rock or electronic song than a hip hop song. With rock we have plenty of progressive, post-rock, fusion and otherwise experimental music to prove the genre's scope, while electronic has plenty of ambient, techno, IDM etc to back it up. The genre confines of hip hop are more inherently limiting than the almost meaninglessly vague tags "rock" or "electronic". Hip hop's popularity is disproportionate to its scope as a genre.

Of course part of this is about what the listener values in music, and what a hip hop listener values above all (lyrical composition) is largely irrelevant to electronic (and rock, despite what some of its lovers might tell you)

Also hip hop is still evolving, whereas rock has likely already peaked, or at least played most of its hand at this point. So I guess we'll see
>>
File: 1481789728681.jpg (763KB, 1601x1166px) Image search: [Google]
1481789728681.jpg
763KB, 1601x1166px
>>70612070
Turntablism is the hip hop art of manipulating sounds and creating music using turntables and a DJ mixer.
Modern day turntablism is the closest hip hop music gets to art music.

John Oswald described the art: "A phonograph in the hands of a 'hiphop/scratch' artist who plays a record like an electronic washboard with a phonographic needle as a plectrum, produces sounds which are unique and not reproduced—the record player becomes a musical instrument."
Turntablism repertoire has written notation, creating a musical part or score for their compositions and pieces. Great examples are DJ Yoda & Heritage Orchestras Concerto, Martin Tetreaults musique concrete for turntables, Kid Koalas Your Moms Favorite DJ, eriKm and DJ Spookys Ice Music works.

Of course, the history of the turntable being used as a musical instrument though has its roots dating back to the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s when musique concrète and other experimental composers (such as John Cage, Halim El-Dabh, and Pierre Schaeffer), used them in a manner similar to that of today's producers and DJs, by essentially sampling and creating music that was entirely produced by the turntable. Cage's Imaginary Landscape No. 1 (1939) is composed for two variable speed turntables, frequency recordings, muted piano and cymbal. Even earlier, Edgard Varèse experimented with turntables in 1930, though he never formally produced any works using them.

This school of thought and practice is directly linked to the current definition of hlp hop-related turntablism, though it has had an influence on modern experimental sound artists and composers such as Christian Marclay, Kid Koala, Otomo Yoshihide, Philip Jeck, DJ QBert and Janek Schaefer. These artists are the direct descendants of people such as John Cage and Pierre Schaeffer and are often credited as a variant to the modern turntablist DJ and producer.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.