/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Yo, I'm just getting into Bjork and holy hell, is this album

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: BjorkVespertine.jpg (38KB, 316x316px) Image search: [Google]
BjorkVespertine.jpg
38KB, 316x316px
Yo,
I'm just getting into Bjork and holy hell, is this album perfect or what? So far I've only heard Vespertine and Homogenic but I'm surprised I have not really gotten into her earlier, her work is fantastic and extremely consistent and artistic.

What does /mu/ think of Bjork?
>>
babby's first bjork album
>>
>>70604114
Yes, I literally said this and homogenic were the first ones I've heard.
>>
>>70604068
>>70604114
don't listen to this guy op, Vespertine is incredibly good. Great production with some pretty interesting feminine themes
>>
Biophilia her most underrated
>>
>>70604068
Good for you, man. Bjork is incredible. Some releases may be a little off-putting, but investing time in them really pays off. Vulnicura is an interesting listen, it's kind of the anti-vespertine. The relationship she sings about in vespertine falls apart in vulnicura and is just as good as vespertine in my opinion.
>>
>>70604201
I would definitely agree. That album is underrated. Certainly not her best, but it does not deserve most of the criticism it gets. It is a huge turning point in bjorks career as a song-writer, was incredibly experimental in its approach, and instruments used, and you see bjork experimenting pretty heavily with drone music on it. It's great.
>>
>>70604202
Sounds cool, I listened to Debut and Post and thought they were okay but they didn't really grab my like Vespertine and Homogenic.

Should I just keep going chronologically from here? Are there any actual "bad" Bjork albums or are they all varying degrees of good to great?
>>
>>70604250
>Should I just keep going chronologically from here
Yes. It's best to go through her works that way.

Medulla is a stranger album. A lot of acapella, but there are some GREAT highlights.

Volta is a lot more pop-y and has a lot of tribal style music. It also has 2 duets with Antony Hegarty which are absolutely fantastic.

Biophilia is a lot more electronic and drum based than her previous albums but still a very great album. Lots of science themes.

And Vulnicura is a lot like Homogenic, drum machines and BEAUTIFUL string sections. A very good album.

The only weak one of these is Medulla and even that has some amazing stuff.
>>
>>70604250
I would (and Bjork herself) has categorized Volta as just "okay." I definitely think it is the worst of hers. I'm really not a fan of the songs with Anohni on them, but the other songs on the album still all work together quite nicely and still flow, so I typically listen to it that way.

Post is really good. I would spend some more time with it. If you're familiar with electronic music there is a lot to enjoy there. Post, homogenic, and vespertine were all quite innovative for their time. Medulla is really good too, but it is by far her most obscure and experimental nearly entirely done acapella. Biophilia is described nicely here >>70604230
Given what you have liked so far, I would recommend vulnicura.
>>
>>70604333
Even the albums that aren't the best have some amazing tracks. I would call "Declare Independence" one of Bjork's most powerful songs and heaviest. And "Who Is It" from medulla is easily one of my favorite songs she's ever done.
>>
>>70604343
I definitely liked Post more than Debut on the listen that I did of each. Possibly Maybe stood out as a solid track.
>>
File: IAMBEAUTIFUL.png (90KB, 350x192px) Image search: [Google]
IAMBEAUTIFUL.png
90KB, 350x192px
>>70604377
>I would call "Declare Independence" one of Bjork's most powerful songs and heaviest

>TFW I realize I'm the only one who hates that song.
>>
>>70604418
I am probably the only person (as mentioned >>70604343 here) who absolutely can't stand the duets with anohni, so it's no big deal
>>
>>70604068
Wait til you hear Medulla. It's her most adventurous work and in my opinion it's her best.
>>
File: WTF.jpg (134KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
WTF.jpg
134KB, 750x750px
>>70604447
Oh that was you!....

...HOW FUCKING DARE YOU!
I wanted to find a reaction image of someone tackling another person but I couldn't find a good one so here's this.
>>
File: elsiane.jpg (88KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
elsiane.jpg
88KB, 550x550px
t. I've been listening to trip-hop for 10+ years and I can't hardly stand Bjork except maybe a couple of songs (Pagan Poetry is one) ...a little too abstract for me I guess.
>>
>>70604114
You retarded? Post is baby's first Bjork album
>>
If you liked Vespertine and Homogenic, you will probably also like Vulnicura. They are my favourite trifecta.

I don't like Volta a great deal. Medulla, whislt interesting listening, is not as good as the others.

Biophilia, Debut and Post are good too.

>70604418
I also dislike it.

>70604447
And I also dislike the duets.
>>
>>70604555
Probably because none of her stuff besides Homogenic is really trip hop.
>>
File: 1480300254139.jpg (7KB, 320x186px) Image search: [Google]
1480300254139.jpg
7KB, 320x186px
>>70604447

how can you not see the
>Dull
>Flames
>of Desire
>>
>>70604068

She's amazing, one of my absolute favourite artists, check out the Vespertine b-sides as well.

Can't wait for her new album which is all but confirmed to be out this year.
>>
>>70604561
irl sure, here? the vast majority of /mu/ is unable to form an opinion without the validation of critics and fellow anons

so no it really isn't
>>
>>70604152
>>70604114

lol mad me chuckle
>>
>>70604068

Vespertine is pretty far from my favorite. The production is gorgeous but it's so glacially paced. I don't have an issue with any one song but trying to listen to the album from start to finish nearly puts me to sleep. That said, if you really like it and Homogenic (which I personally like far more) then Vulnicura acts as a sort of closing act to those albums. It creates a sort of narrative arc documenting a woman on the prowl, her finding love, and the bitter dissolution of that love. Makes for a nice trilogy of sorts but be forewarned - Vulnicura is a more difficult album than Homogenic or Vespertine, but it works with the themes. Bjork made one hell of a grandiose breakup album, that's for sure.
>>
>>70604987

Play Dead is top shelf trip-hop, man.
>>
>>70605697
Pleb irl is still pleb here anon, maybe even more so
>>
>>70604987
>>70606122
Also Possibly Maybe
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.