[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any Of Montreal fans on /mu/? If so, favorite album and why?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: ofMontreal-Paralytic-Stalks-600.jpg (608KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
ofMontreal-Paralytic-Stalks-600.jpg
608KB, 600x600px
Any Of Montreal fans on /mu/? If so, favorite album and why?

I have to say I think Paralytic Stalks has maybe grown to be my favorite.

Also, it's kind of funny but I think they've been one of my favorite bands without me not realizing it until recently when I looked at just how many records of theirs I've enjoyed and still listen to.
>>
>>70585726
Paralytic Stalks is extremely underrated. And yeah, I too did not realize for a while how much I liked them until I noticed how many albums of theirs I enjoyed.

What's your favorite album in the Cherry Peel-to-Aldhils Arboretum era, anon?
>>
>>70585726
Yes Paralytic Stalks is their best album, but it will never be considered that because Pitchfork panned it for no reason. Even the rating on RYM is pretty low.
>>
>>70585805
Probably Gay Parade from what I recall. Been re-listening to their discography recently but haven't gone back to that era much yet.
>>
>>70585726
Hissing Fauna, though Skeletal Lamping also blows me away. It has some of the best pop songwriting of last decade, and Kevin Barnes is really good at channeling his issues into his music.
>>
oM is literally the best band I have seen live. They put on one hell of a show. I cannot recommend seeing them enough.
>>
My favorite band, hands down. Seen them 3 times and have never witnessed a more charasmatic and engaging band live either.

List of albums from favorite to least:

Cherry Peel
Hissing Fauna
Sunlandic Twins
Paralytic Stalks
Satanic Panic
Aureate Gloom
Lousy With Sylvianbriar
Skeletal Lamping
Coquelicot
Gay Parade
False Priest
Innocence Reaches
Bedside Drama
Aldhils
Daughter Of Cloud

I just love the youthful innocence and idealistic wistfulness that Cherry Peel encapsulates so well. It's the sweetest album I've ever heard and the lo fi recording with the out of tune guitars just make it so DIY and authentic, and yet it's written with the talent of a veteran songwriter.
>>
>>70585863
>Kevin Barnes is really good at channeling his issues into his music

The song Famine Affair came on my shuffle earlier, and it was kind of amazing considering how much I can relate to that song at the moment...fuck
>>
Aureate Gloom

punk Kevin is best Kevin
>>
HF turned 10 a day or two ago so I've been thinking about their discography even though I haven't listened to it all lately.

It's all pretty good but I feel like Satanic Panic through Lousy is a fantastic run. Kevin began to discover his sound in SPITA then developed it bit by bit until it had completed the transition of innocent glee to mutated cynicism and strife in Paralytic Stalks. The narrative of the music and Kevin's relationship make it that much more impactful. Then Lousy is a nice little way to cap off the discography by serving as a fuck you to everyone Kevin forgot to harp on in the previous albums.

The last two albums have been pretty bad, IR especially. I think Kevin has exhausted everything he could ever say about love - healthy or failed - and the people in his life, and that's what his career is built on. Oh well, hopefully he turns it around eventually.
>>
>>70585726
love of monetreal, but kevin barnes hasn't made a good album since skeletal lamping which was a natural progression from hissing fauna. every album sense then seems unauthentic and forced like a turd stuffed in your ear. i think false priest, paralytic stalks, aureate gloom, and lousy are absolute shit, but I am most likely a little older than the rest of this thread and grew up during one kevin's different phases.
>>
>>70585726
Cherry Peel or The Early Four Track Recordings

no low moments imo
>>
>>70585981
gay parade
coquelicot
satanic panic

rest is fucking garbage apple advert indie-core
>>
>>70586145
I liked IR. Some of the tracks were shit but there were some that were really cool. The songs got a little more simple than on earlier stuff like Paralytic Stalks and Skeletal Lamping and whatnot but I think that was kind of foreshadowed with how Kevin started going from actual singing to kind of talk-singing progressively over the last few albums. I think he's just getting exhausted, which is extremely understandable when you take into consideration all the painful emotion he pours into everything he does

>>70585979
I REALLY want to see them live. They were a couple towns over about 2 months ago and I wanted to see them so bad, but it was on a Tuesday or something and I had classes and work. I thought about just calling off work and ditching class but I had no one to go with me either so I decided it was best to sit this one out. Hopefully Kevin doesn't end up killing himself before I can see them live
>>
>>70586211
>implying Paralytic Stalks isn't the natural coalescence of the Hissing Fauna-False Priest Run
>>
>>70585979
you need to see more shows. it's the same one everytime.
>>
>>70586510
This. Paralytic Stalks is pretty much the climax of Kevin's career where all the rage and depression just kind of explodes. After that he took a turn into a kind of "I don't even give a shit that everything is terrible anymore" thing
>>
File: 20161221_022156.jpg (3MB, 1932x2576px) Image search: [Google]
20161221_022156.jpg
3MB, 1932x2576px
Excellent live but it's worth it just for his brother's merch table
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.