[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've tried and failed many times to get into jazz, however

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

I've tried and failed many times to get into jazz, however this album fucking ROCKS. What other jazz artists have this kind of passion and energy?
>>
>>70564646
havent heard that messengers record, but most jazz band have top tier passion and energy
>>
>>70564646
Have you listened to other Blakey albums?
>>
>>70564646
Horace Silver and the Jazz Messengers - s/t (same band as you posted but with Horace Silver on piano instead)
Cannonball Adderley - Somethin Else

These albums definitely "rock" and have a lot of passion, and are very consistent too
>>
>>70564664
I'm not a fan of the casual blowing over a chill beat: Coltrane, Davis, Rollins, Peterson, Monk etc. are all super talented but I don't find them emotinally engaging whatsoever. The drum intro to A Night in Tunisia gives me goosebumps every time I hear it, it's like he's trying to hit through the drums.
>>
>>70564755
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6NCx0wcrC4
>>
>>70564755
Rule of thumb for jazz: look up all the musicians that are playing on an album you like
>>
>>70565372
this

also op check out max roach. he was very much like blakey in that he was a drummer bandleader who composed and performed very chaotic and intense hard bop
>>
>>70564755
Try Mingus. The Clown and Blues and Roots might swing hard enough for you. Skip the Black Saint and the Sinner Lady until you have found a comfortable spot in the jazz world.

I'm a trumpet player, so here's my recs... give Dizzy Gillespie a shot. The Trumpet Kings at Montreux is a lovely listen for some crazy trumpet shit. Also try out John Faddis- Legacy. Probably one of the most fantastic intros to any jazz album.
>>
>>70564755
>I'm not a fan of the casual blowing over a chill beat: Coltrane, Davis, Rollins, Peterson, Monk etc
you've obviously never listened to any of those musicians past the 50s then
>>
>>70564646
try just listening to bebop
>>
File: Front.jpg (2MB, 3300x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Front.jpg
2MB, 3300x1500px
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.