[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Only reason Dilla gets more respect is because he's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: madlib.jpg (92KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
madlib.jpg
92KB, 800x500px
Only reason Dilla gets more respect is because he's dead.

Discuss.
>>
>>70551138
NIGGA DEAD!
>>
Dilla was directly involved with and at least partially responsible for the sounds of Slum Village, The Roots, late-career A Tribe Called Quest, The Pharcyde, De la Soul and Common among others. He is near-objectively one of the most influential hip-hop producers to ever live.

Madlib did one amazing collab and then a bunch of interesting solo work with almost no impact on the genre. The two are not even close to comparable and the only people that think so are people who just listened to Madvillainy for the first time
>>
>>70551324
lol
>>
>>70551324
>influential
doesn't automatically make him better
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J_Dilla_discography#Production_credits

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madlib_discography#Albums_produced_entirely

Compare the albums they produced and whose are talked/listened to more today
>>
>>70551371
Then what makes him better? Other than Madvillainy what does he have that beats Donuts, Fantastic Vol. 2, Water for Chocolate or anything else Dilla produced
>>
>>70551371
Nothing automatically makes anyone better. You could say this about anything anyone said about the quality of someone's music. Pointless thing to say.
>>
>>70551422
be honest, have you heard any other madlib work bar madvillainy
>>
>>70551449
Pinata and the Blue Note remixes. It's good, I like Madlib as a producer, that's not my point.

If you know more about Madlib than me, then answer the question. What does he have that makes his catalog better than Dilla's other than one undisputed classic and a couple great albums with arguably not much staying power?
>>
>>70551501
That's not the point. Sure, Dilla was able to work with better names.
But sonically, Madlib is just on another level. And the fact that he is overlooked, by fans and other potential collaborators is the point of the thread.
>>
>>70551501
>hasn't listened to the unseen
>hasn't listened to the further adventures of lord quas, arguably the best rap production of all time
>hasn't listened to the beat konducta series
>hasn't listened to yesterday's new quintet, and all of it's off shoots
>hasn't listened to sujinho
>hasn't listened to jaylib

must be fun being a pleb
>>
>>70551601
Not even to mention the fucking
m e d i c i n e
s h o w
>>
>>70551558
I'm skeptical. Madvillainy and Donuts are two of my favorite albums but just based on what I know about both I think they're pretty close in terms of actual ability/production quality. Who knows though

>>70551601
I try :(
There are only so many hours in the day for music and a lot of them are taken up by Autechre
Beat Konducta is on my list though
>>
>>70551678
Even if you've heard only those two albums, you can tell how diverse Madlib is compared to Dilla.

Dilla, as great as he was, had his habits and he was comfortable in those. If you hear one Dilla track, you've heard 80% of his catalog. There is a reason why there are "Dilla style" beats.

Madlib, on the other hand, has no style and isn't afraid to make more eclectic and experimental stuff.
>>
>>70551771
sure, a jack of all trades but master of none but
>If you hear one Dilla track, you've heard 80% of his catalog
even madlib himself would call you an idiot
>>
>>70551771
I definitely agree with that. Although as much as I love Madlib's diversity and experimentation I can't fault Dilla for sticking to what he knows. There's not a lot of variation but the quality level is consistent enough that it's still enjoyable.

I'll admit that I should definitely give Madlib another chance, though. Is Beat Konducta a good next step?
>>
Apples and Oranges
>>
in fact you're an idiot if you don't recognize that typing in 'dilla type beat' and 'madlib type beat' will get you just about the same amount of results from wannabe soundclown producers, they both have clear styles to emulate

dorks are so desperate to avoid being a part of the 'dilla saved my life t-shirt' club that they'll just tear him down in favour of madlib who'd probably smack them irl
>>
File: jaylib.png (12KB, 1348x156px) Image search: [Google]
jaylib.png
12KB, 1348x156px
>>70551903
>>70551771
Not that this is very scientific....
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.