[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I the only one who thinks that this album is the best representation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 17

File: 44949.jpg (48KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
44949.jpg
48KB, 500x500px
Am I the only one who thinks that this album is the best representation of metal music? The aggressiveness of sludge, mixed with some prog technicality to keep you on your toes and some stoner groove sensibilities that keeps the whole thing grooving and moving along. The riffs, hooks, solos and technical chops are all there along with a theme and lyrics that's interesting and poetic and that doesn't scare people off. The most interesting aspect however I think are the vocals. Many people just can't get into screamed vocals and this is where Troy Sanders' vocal delivery shines. He has this very natural shouted vocal technique that's on neither extreme but still amplifies the intensity. Brent Hills shriller backing vocals add a nice contrast. If this isn't the best representation of metal than it surely is the best starting point for going into extremer sub-genres that almost exclusivity have screamed vocals.
>>
>>70531630
I always rec this album to people who want to get into metal.
>>
>>70531630
>best representation of metal
So I take it you/the creator of this pasta haven't heard too much metal?
>>
You are not the only one but I'm not sure myself
>>
>>70531630
>Am I the only one who thinks that this album is the best representation of metal music?
maybe if all you've heard is this album and Sunbather

>surely is the best starting point for going into extremer sub-genres
correct. I rec either Leviathan or Black Sabbath's Volume 4 if people ask me for a good starting point
>>
>>70531667

I've heard plenty and I still think Leviathan represents best what the genre is about. I personally prefer their debut just for the sheer aggressiveness but Leviathan balances everything better.
>>
The first salvo of the indie-metal revolution came through bands like Isis, Gojira and Mastodon who combined proto-metal with indie rock and progressive pop punk, creating longer songs that used metal riffs and aesthetics but other than superficially entirely resembled what the previous generation of indie rock and emo, notably Fugazi, Jawbreaker and Rites of Spring, had made the mainstay of their own successful careers.
>>
>>70531709
Ah, I see, I misunderstood what you were ssying. I agree it is a very good representation and a great way to introduce people to metal. When trying to get people into extreme metal I usually start them off with Wolves in the Throne Room
>>
Its terrific album, Desu. I hope to see this band when they play in Cincinnati this summer, and cant wait to hear that new album. Once More Round The Sun was double plus good.
>>
File: 1483572199074.jpg (100KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1483572199074.jpg
100KB, 640x640px
>>70531630
yeah i'm a metalhead, mastodon, isis, converge, gojira, deafheaven vektor, the sword the list goes on....
>>
It's just a shitty meme metal album
>>
People that get into metal through Mastodon are just going to end up listening to other shitty pseudo-sludge pop bands, "post"-metal, and trendy atmoshit. The kind of people who feel compelled to make it a point that they certainly aren't "metalheads" (because that's lame) but can appreciate "heavy" music, displaying their "open-mindedness", even if the 10-15 bands they're touting are just socially acceptable indie bands with a metal veneer.
>>
>>70532076
this

if only nu-metal weren't already a thing; it'd make for a much better descriptor than "hipster metal"
>>
>>70532076
>>70532141
>>>/metal/
Go back to circlejerking your OSDM and weeb trash faggots
>>
>>70532167
lmao looks like someone got his shit l taste called out
>>
>>70532124
>this is what dumb ANUS fags actually believe

Yeah you;re not a true metal fan unless you listen to shitty deom of obscure 80s black metal bands whose frontman killed himself
>>
>>70532167
kys yourself
>>
>>70532197
Why are you cancerous fucks obsessed with calling out people?
Your general is a fucking joke and yet you still pretend you are above the rest of /mu/

>>70532217
Shut up
>>
>>70532207
>>70532228
hahaha, not even a big osdm fan but this is why i actually like the nonstop banter in that thread because it keeps thin-skinned faggots like yourselves out
>>
>>70532124

Everyone agrees that Mastodon went to shit after Blood Mountain. That's when all the "atmoshit" started.
>>
>>70532076
>>70532089
>>70532124
>>70532141
>>70532197
Stupid contrarian shitters

This is why everyone makes fun of metalfags like you
>>
File: hipster-1024x1024.jpg (244KB, 666x666px) Image search: [Google]
hipster-1024x1024.jpg
244KB, 666x666px
>>70532167
totally agreed fellow nu-male! :^)
>>
>>70532207
>>70532228
> UGHHHHHH why don't these plebs understand that, like, metal is SO problematic and for babbies unless it's pitchfork approved
> I bet they can't even name ONE Death Grips song!
>>
>>70532228
>Your general is a fucking joke and yet you still pretend you are above the rest of /mu/
sure, when the only metal you listen to is literal meme garbage like vektor and deafheaven or whatever pitchfork and fantano have been reviewing recently, you might not recognize much when coming to /metal/
>>
File: op0o6lfe.jpg (88KB, 1132x775px) Image search: [Google]
op0o6lfe.jpg
88KB, 1132x775px
>>70532076

This guy unironically listens to black metal.
>>
>>70532266
stay mad
>>
>>70532266
>This is why everyone makes fun of metalfags like you
and we don't really care because we aren't hipsters who listens to music for the image like you
>>
File: 1478484717444.jpg (266KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1478484717444.jpg
266KB, 960x960px
>>70532076
>>70532141
>>70532276
>>70532278
At least nu-males and hipsters have chance of getting laid unlike you autists who spend all day shitposting and jerking off to hentai
>>
>>70532301
i really, really, like this nu-male non-argument that anyone who isn't like them is a neckbeard virgin
>>
>>70532301
t. virgin
>>
>>70532278
>>70532283
I don't read Pitchfork you strawmanning fucktard
I listen to a lot of metal and I'm just tired of you contrarian imbeciles who need to shitpost every mildly popular album to death

>>70532289
Not an argument
>>
>>70532301

This guy can grow a better beard than most metalheads I've seen.
>>
>>70532297
>>70532297
>we don't really care because we aren't hipsters who listens to music for the image like you
But you clearly are because anything that is remotely accessible and not trve is garbage in your opinion
>>
>>70532329
>being this mad because someone on 4chan made fun of a band you like

get the fuck over it, most of it's just banter anyway, no one actually cares
>>
>>70532301
watching Tyrone enrich your girlfriend doesn't count as getting laid buddy

back to the vegan bake sale with you. Maybe her son will let you listen to Boris in the meanwhile
>>
>>70532372
>"hurr durr your band is shit, fucking autistic nu-male faggot"
lmao nice """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""banter """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" you have there idiot
>>
>>70532405
holy shit, you're mad as fuck
>>
>>70532415
Yes I am because I'm tired of dishonest retards shitting up my board.
>>
*makes popcorn for watching faggots argue in vain with each other over something that doesn't matter*
>>
>>70532437
go back to 9gag or youtube comments faggot
>>
File: Ricky_reactionface.png (148KB, 222x293px) Image search: [Google]
Ricky_reactionface.png
148KB, 222x293px
>>70532415
> butthurt nu-male mastodon fan lashes out at people with objectively better taste

I love this thread
>>
>>70532430
>my board

now this is autism
>>
File: anita_eats_popcorn.gif (3MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
anita_eats_popcorn.gif
3MB, 500x500px
>>70532451
>>
>>70532468

I've never heard Mastodon being associated with nu-males. Tell me more.
>>
>>70531630
I'll never get what people see in Leviathan. The mixing is fucking ass compared to Remission and the riffs are cheesy and generic.
>>
>>70532521
>>70532076
>>
>>70532521
they've become one of the poster bands for /mu/core drones who say "i don't really like to metal except for >>70532076"

i still like em, even though their last album wasn't very good
>>
>>70532141
Just call it nu-maletal
>>
>>70532468
>objectively better taste
lmao fuck off you retard
>>
>>70531739
>The first salvo of the indie-metal revolution came through bands like Isis, Gojira and Mastodon
So basically bands inspired by the Melvins instead of Metallica and Slayer
>>
>>70532545

That post doesn't prove anything. Does that guy even listen to metal? Also he seems to be too self-aware sporting his amish beard to be nu-male.
>>
>>70532545
>>70532560
But Mastodon are dudebro band, they are basically the new Metallica
>>
>>70532582
never seen a bro in real life who knew of them, just hipsters and metalheads
>>
File: 1416968773585.gif (3MB, 310x500px) Image search: [Google]
1416968773585.gif
3MB, 310x500px
>it's metal for people who don't really like metal
>>
>>70532582

The only album that won a somewhat mainstream metal crowd over was Crack the Skye. Mastodon's fanbase is too nerdy to be considered dudebro. There are literally a hundred other metal bands since 2002 that are way more commercially successful and get more radio play than Mastodon.
>>
File: OMRTS charts.jpg (131KB, 487x808px) Image search: [Google]
OMRTS charts.jpg
131KB, 487x808px
>>70532627
>>
>>70531739
>visits DMU once
>>
>>70531630
listen man, just disregard all the autists in the thread accusing you of being nu-male or whatever, but consider this:

metal is a huge, diverse genre, with a 40 year history. You roll in trying to claim one band kinda does it the best or is "the best representation", whatever that means. are you surprised that your attempt to reduce the whole genre to one representative band might engender some fucking harsh reaction?

the idea that you need to find the "best representation" of metal is what is fucken dumb here. nigga, just listen to what you like. if someone wants to get into metal, play them what you like. this critic, music journalist-style cherrypicking bullshit is false-metal as fuck. drink beer, fuck chicks, shut the fuck up, listen to fucken metal. jesus christ. quit trying to make it more complicated.
>>
File: metallicacharts.png (38KB, 394x1005px) Image search: [Google]
metallicacharts.png
38KB, 394x1005px
>>70532654

>they are basically the new Metallica
>>
Metal died in 1993. Only 12 good albums have been released since then (most of them in 1994, being already recorded by 1993). Metal achieved its creative peak in albums like Onward to Golgotha, Pure Holocaust, and The Red in the Sky is Ours, elevating the genre into a legitimate art form. Now, thanks to Slaughter of the Soul and Gojira, all its potential was squandered and the genre has been reduced into being mere gimmick ridden noise for drunk idiots (i.e. the lowest common denominator - stop trying to turn underground metal into AC/DC).
>>
>>70531630
yes its a good album
no its not the best representation of metal music
stop making metal fans look like one dimensional retards with shit posts like these
>>
>>70531739
it this isn't just copy pasted from somewhere, then its a very insightful post. But I highly doubt any user on this board is capable of saying anything like this.

So where'd you copy paste it from?
>>
>>70532881
http://www.deathmetal.org/faq/
>>
File: genexus.jpg (593KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
genexus.jpg
593KB, 1000x1000px
Fear Factory is hands down the best band in the world right now. They are not pretty good, they are pretty incredible. But more than just how good they are, They represent the first ripple in a massive change that we are about to go through musically as well as culturally. I think that over the course of the next 10 years we are going to see a sort of mini-renaissance similar to what we saw in the late 50s-60s post war. With pot and gay marriage soon to be legal federally its gonna be a whole new world. 2012 end of the world isn't the end of human life, its the end of one way of thinking and the start of another. Pot...cash...crop...money! As someone already said here on Reddit, The united states will be the only country in the world were pot is legal federally. We are gonna have jobs again, and money to burn. Money to spend on art and music. In a sense, a need will be created for GOOD art and music. Not something that is coldy manufactured by hitmakers. Fear Factory is leading the charge! They are proving that people CAN tell the difference between real and manufactured music! Im not saying Fear Factory are the next Metallica but they are making enough waves to make change. Moral of story, Fear Factory Rocks!!!! They (Burton Bell) are making real beautiful music that only happens when a talented person commits a lot of time to something that they are passonate about. Fear Factory is a real life "bedroom" band, they way it is meant to be.
>>
File: Gojira - Terra Incognita.jpg (28KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Gojira - Terra Incognita.jpg
28KB, 500x500px
>>70532076
>implying that this isnt one of the greatest metal albums ever
>>
>>70532124
big mastodon fan here, still big fan of black metal, doom metal, sludge metal, death metal, and other patrician varieties of metal. Liking Mastodon and liking harsher, less accessible varieties of metal are not mutually exclusive.
>>
It's so fucking hilarious because the assclowns who post in /metal/ threads (who are literal memes by their own standards) think that their opinions about albums that they "listened" to one time in the background while they play videogames have any weight at all. Ask any of them to expand on their "opinions" wuithout using a meme and you will be met with silence.
>>
>>70532853

>death metal/black metal
>creative peak

hahahahaha. Fuck your poser "br00tal" shit, fag.
>>
File: Incurso.jpg (578KB, 1400x1400px) Image search: [Google]
Incurso.jpg
578KB, 1400x1400px
It's like they're allergic to trying to write something good. Every riff they write needs to be as cluttered and frantic as can be with no regard to tone or direction.
Off the bat this is just another death metal album in name only, it has the growls, it has the distortion, and it has the hyper fast drumming, but everything is assembled so mechanically together, topped off with such digital cleanness and shiny pristine, like it wants to seem heavy but is so ashamed to be a part of the scene. There's no passion here, it's like some snobby music professors tried their hands at making "intelligent" death metal, they wrote a checklist for what they thought would be necessary to count as death metal and then filled it with needless complexity for that "intelligent" aspect. Riffs vary between being fast and intricate slurries of notes to being basic, but still fast, death metal chugs you've heard a million times over, everything wrapped up in a brick walled to fuck production where bass is only audible when the band wants to remind you that they do indeed have a bassist. Songs are long, aimless, and twist and turn without any bit of focus. Riff (and I use that term quite loosely here) leading into riff leading into solo leading into riff comprises the song writing ideas here, with some occasional orchestral samples thrown in to make this album seem grander than it is. It's a nauseating and headache inducing experience, while not as annoying as Brain Drill or Monumental Torment, it's equally as flashy and unnecessary. Completely irredeemable garbage with not one decent moment in its duration.
>>
File: aaa.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
aaa.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
Everything that ruined metal is documented in this one album. This album paints a picture of AC/DC shirt wearing pickup truck drivers heading to the meth house after swigging too much malt liquor while watching a marathon of Maury and Dog the Bounty Hunter. It's this single piece of drunken bafoonery that sapped all the creativity out of metal by showing people that they too can make money by playing groove based rock with faux-aggressive vocals and throwing pot leaf designs on t-shirts. It is the prototype for Korn.

Lyrically, everything that's wrong about metal now is found here. Phil Anselmo in all his heroin addled wisdom thought that, instead of coming up with something interesting to talk about, the mundane themes about the "tough street life" would resonate more with the hip-hop culture of mainstream America and, unfortunately, he was right. This was one of the key elements that were needed to allow angry suburban youth and meth head trailer park dwellers to relate with the stupidity of Pantera. All of these things are best exemplified in the after school special-isms of Walk and the cheap emotional appeals of This Love and Hollow. The f-bomb abuse suggests not a lot of time was spent on them, and feels more like something the Wu-Tang Clan would have come up with. The change to a more "urban" appearance in promo pics suggest about as much. These lyrics would make bands in the future reduce themselves to writing about mundane topics (the hood, street life) and shouting a bunch of disdainful words that mean nothing. It's just vague anger to "get people through a bad day", like the hip-hop or radio rock songs of the day.
>>
File: dino.jpg (7KB, 236x300px) Image search: [Google]
dino.jpg
7KB, 236x300px
I saw Dino Cazares at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Doritos in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bags and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bag and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
>>
>>70532955
the all-time classic. this shit is fucking hilarious and i like pantera
>>
File: famine.jpg (119KB, 770x582px) Image search: [Google]
famine.jpg
119KB, 770x582px
MY MUSIC IS NOT MEANT TO BE LISTENED TO ON A FUCKING COMPUTER
All these geeky little four-eyed virgin Black Metallers with streaks in their hair that spend their lives on last.fm writing bullshit and coming up with all sorts of rumours about bands that came from their dearest fantasies… I would like to tell them the following: every time I see your little spoiled faggot suburban streak-haired faces on last.fm or myspace, I think of putting an end to Peste Noire given how painful it is. Your faces alone could cause the demise of my band. Another thing I despise about the internet is this disconnection with reality : Black Metallers threatening each other on forums, calling themselves warriors and ‘Lords' and talking about killing people when in everyday life the only people these wimps can hurt are monsters in their video games
I am available at anytime of the day for a fistfight or any type of sword or crossbow duel. I just purchased an automatic pistol crossbow. It's a mix between a gun and a crossbow, it's like a pistol but it fires arrows. I killed a goat with a shot in the stomach at point-blank range by alluring it with grass; the beast died three hours later. I will do the same with you. I know that you like grass, like all sheep do
>>
>>70532941
>>70532955
>>70532971

I will report you for spamming if you continue. Let this be a warning.
>>
>>70531630
>I like heavy indie music but have no respect for the actual genre and what it represents
>>
>>70532955
This is pretty good. Lyrical content aside, you can't fuck with the groove and aggressiveness. Masculinity works way more in metal than femininity.
>>
>>70532999
It's not like this whole thread wasn't shit to begin with
>>
>>70533013

Fuck off faggot. This song alone is more aggressive than any flavor of the month atmospheric black metal shit you listen to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7D1TRXErBs
>>
>>70532922
it's pasta retard
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.