[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can anyone explain to me what the fuck Ska is? I used to think

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1

Can anyone explain to me what the fuck Ska is? I used to think Ska was like really upbeat alt rock with brass (mostly trumpets) in the background, somebody once used Smash Mouth as a an example when explaining it to me. But then I google it and try to read some background on it, and it originated in 60s Jamaica? And for some reason its also associated with Hawaiian shirts? But also 60's black tie suits and shit? What the fuck?
>>
>>70425675
Read more dude
>>
There are multiple waves of it. The stuff with guys in suits is second wave, check out The Specials. The stuff like old Smashmouth and Goldfinger and stuff like that is third wave.
>>
>>70425675
Just read the Wikipedia page. What you thought of as ska is actually 3rd wave ska
>>
>>70425717
>check out The Specials

seconding, best ska band by far.
>>
>>70425675
American ska - Smash Mouth, Reel Big Fish, No Doubt, etc. Hawaiian shirts and Guy Ferrari hair.

Brit Ska - The Specials, Madness, The Beat, etc. Black suit and ties and pork-pie hats.
>>
>>70425801
The suit thing started in Jamaica
>>
If you don't hear similarities between ska and reggae then you gotta be deaf
>>
>>70425825
As part of the reggae/dub scene. These inspired the ska scene in Britain.
>>
>>70425825
Source?

Pretty sure it tied into the UK mod revival scene, hence dressing smart in suits
>>
Ska.

Defintion: Dead
>>
But what is operation ivy?
>>
>>70425888
It started as mockery of high culture. Like how the Sex Pistols wearing the Union Jack as a mockery of English culture or something. Reggae and ska (mainly reggae) were jamaica's punk movement.
>>
>>70425960
SHITE
H
I
T
E
>>
>Ask question
>Get legit answers and explanations

Holy shit /mu/ you're fucking cool. Thank you!
>>
>>70425991
Aw man, but I like energy
>>
>>70425973
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rude_boy
>many rude boys favored sharp suits, thin ties, and pork pie or Trilby hats

Seems you're right. Hard to imagine in Jamaica of all places.
>>
>>70425973
Hardly, when ska started in the late 50s suits were standard fashion, early Beatles performed in suits. 2nd wave 80s ska took the suit more as a symbol and the black and white aesthetic calling it 2tone.
>>
>>70426108
Jamaica was fairly conservative at the time, not quite the laid back stereotype we get these days.
>>
this is ska
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxtfdH3-TQ4
>>
>>70426118
Sorry, it wasn't in response to high society. It was because of the jazz fashion sense that was prevalent in Jamaica.
>>
It's crazy taxi music
>>
>>70426254
>jazz fashion sense that was prevalent in Jamaica

how did they regress so much
>>
If anyone is interested in some not so popular ska bands, check these out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV2XZhTbEBQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1plNdqBzw9o
>>
>>70426367
Jamaica is the most slept on country both musically and culturally in the Western Hemisphere. There's so much beyond DUDE WEED LMAO
>>
>>70426238
That's more like early reggae really. Dekker spanned rocksteady, ska and helped pioneer reggae. This is one of his ska hits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTp1Axm_3mU
>>
>>70426067
BIG
C
I
T
Y

4 u
>>
Where does Less Than Jake fit in?
>>
>>70426422
it's also a fucking gangland warzone

>There's so much beyond DUDE WEED LMAO
maybe with legalisation in the US, they'll legalise themselves to export. huge market potential that could help fix all their social troubles
>>
>>70426466
even better
>>
>>70426565
I know. It's a shame. All colonized places have ended up with the people there living in shit. But Jamaica is so disappointing because it had potential.
>>
>>70426552
Third wave ska
>>
Can anyone explain to me why /mu/ hates Seeed so bad?
>>
I've certainly never thought of smash mouth as ska.
>>
>>70425717
>So here I am, doing everything I can,
>HOLDING ON TO WHAT I AM
>Pretending I'm a superman.
>>
>>70425960
pioneer third wave ska
>>
>>70428276
Listen to their cover of Why Can't We Be Friends
>>
>>70426466
holy shit ska changed a lot.

btw are third wave ska and ska punk different things?
>>
>>70429052
generally speaking no

2tone beat developed into the heavier, brassier and faster ska punk sound pretty quickly. no doubt because punk was big at the time in the US anyway
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.