[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Working my way through the miles davis discography as someone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: Milestones.jpg (16KB, 280x282px) Image search: [Google]
Milestones.jpg
16KB, 280x282px
Working my way through the miles davis discography as someone who knows fuck all about jazz and pic related is my favourite so far.
Is that a good choice?
What are the highlights of his discography and do you have any suggestions for a new starter in jazz?
>>
>>70417134
2nd quintet stuff was the highlight of his career
ESP, Miles Smiles, Sorcerer, and Nefertiti plus a ton of amazing live recordings

It's not his most innovative music, but it's by far the most musically deep
>>
>>70417552
Thanks man, any non-davis recs for a newcommer?
>>
Miles Davis was a talentless hack who's only good album was Kind Of Blue since it was largely composed by other musicians.
>>
>>70417577
Blue Train
>>
>>70417578
>Miles Davis was a talentless hack

3 replies 3 posters

hmm.
>>
>>70417620
Thanks
>>70417630
That adds up, I've posted twice as OP including the original post
>>
>>70417577
Mingus
>>
>>70417732
Thanks
How do you deal with large discographies?
Do you listen to every one chronologically or pick the top rated and come back to the others whenever you feel like picking up that artist again?
>>
>>70417775
Not him but what's nice about jazz is that many great artists also play as sidemen, so once you get a bit more listening in, you can take a look at the discographies and see which ones have sidemen that you like and it just forms a never-ending web from that.

Oddly though, Miles and Mingus don't share very many players in common considering how big both of their discographies were.
>>
>>70417850
Cool, I love the drums in the miles davis quintet
I'll check him out when I've gotten through a lot of the 'essential artists'
>>
>>70417775
>pick the top rated

Wouldn't pay much attention to ratings. With such big and diverse discographies, jaded jazz critics have buried countless great records with average scores.

Take >>70417850 his advice and focus more on collaborations to pick up on eras and styles you like.
>>
Surprisingly I'm doing the same. 'Round about midnight or in a silent way probably my favourite so far.
>>
>>70417134
>Is this a good choice?

If you like it then its a good fucking choice.
>>
>>70419142
This guy knows.

Unless you have a specific goal when listening, like trying to find inspiration to improve your modal chops, then it really shouldn't matter how an album's received by other anons.
>>
When he joined Miles' band, Tony Williams told Miles that Milestones was his best record and one of the best jazz records ever made. So if you're not up to where Tony joins the band, then you agree with him.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.