[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tomorrow Never Knows makes every Beach Boys song sound like Paul's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

File: thiskillsthebrianwilson.jpg (686KB, 1500x1493px) Image search: [Google]
thiskillsthebrianwilson.jpg
686KB, 1500x1493px
Tomorrow Never Knows makes every Beach Boys song sound like Paul's granny shit in comparison
>>
Is /mu/ still on 'the beach boys are good' meme?
>>
Revolver (and Rubber Soul) have better songs,

But Pet Sounds is the better album
>>
>>70387643
This. I don't understand how anyone could see it differently. It doesn't diminish the importance/legacy of anything Brian did, but that song alone is on an entirely different level.
>>
>>70388055

an entirely lower level, it's a lazy piece of shit song and a complete disaster, le backwards sounds clown shit

not even in the 50th percentile of songs on Revolver
>>
>>70388315
lol r u drunk?

That song single-handedly spawned psychedelic rock which in turn led to prog, and kraut. It's a fucking crucial song.

Yes, pet sounds influenced the beatles on Sgt. Peppers, but tomorrow never knows was a complete game changer.
>>
>>70388315
le barnyard toots horn tour of america shit
>>
>>70388494

uh the song sounds like some gypsy indian scale warmup exercise repeated for 3 minutes, not revolutionary at all it's just some eastern shit mixed with 'dude lsd' and noise
>>
>>70387643
Not that far off
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31pCY1uDRzY
>>
>>70388725
I'm not going to argue with you there. Some crucial elements of the song had long been parts of music in other cultures, but those aspects were entirely absent from the pop music of the time, which greatly expanded the scope of pop music and added to the influx of eastern beliefs into the western mindset, and the "dude lsd" aspect, though I agree it is dumb, was certainly revolutionary and crucial to the start of psychedelic rock and important in the import of experimental aspects to popular music at the time. You don't have to like the song, just recognize it's importance.
>>
File: John2.jpg (29KB, 600x467px) Image search: [Google]
John2.jpg
29KB, 600x467px
>>70387643
Except it's the worst song on the album and possibly one of the worst songs by The Beatles... Although to be fair The Beatles always sound shit when they use Indian instruments.
Power rankings of the songs on Revolver.

Taxman
Yellow Submarine
Here there and everywhere
Got to get you into my life
Good day sunshine
For no one
And your bird can sing
Eleanor Rigby
I'm only sleeping
I want to tell you
Doctor Robert
She said she said
Love you to
Tomorrow never knows
>>
>>70390396
>Yellow Submarine over Eleor Rigby and I'm Only Sleeping
wew
>>
>>70391496
I have a hard on for those sound effects like "Full speed ahead", the waves and those swirls/pumps of the machinery. Plus its fun as fuck.
>>
>>70387657
t. Butthurt Beatles Fan
>>
>>70388494
>beatles fans actually think this
>>
reminder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO_LX-m74uw
>>
>>70388494
holy shit this can't be a serious post

>single-handedly spawned psychedelic rock with in turn led to prog, and kraut.

>1912: beatles invented music
>>
>>70392514
Name a psychedelic song like tomorrow never knows
>>
>>70387643
best Beatles track - way ahead of it's time
>>
>>70390396
>She Said She Said that low
Fuck right off my guy that's one of their best songs
>>
>>70391703
Listen to Admiral Halsey by McCartney it has the "full speed ahead" bits in it
>>
>>70392636
dude it doesn't matter if there's anything like it, just do some research. the byrds were using feedback before the beatles, bob dylan was using psychedlic imagery before the beatles, and jefferson airplane was sonically far ahead in psychedelic rock as a genre in 1965, a year before revolver

and those are just the well known examples. just cause you like the beatles doesn't mean they ever did truly groundbreaking shit at every turn
>>
>>70392815
literally everybody knows that lol do you think youre educating me

name a song like tomorrows never knows. u cant
>>
>>70392852
my apologies, i thought you were the retard that said the beatles single handedly spawned psychedelic rock.

at the time of tomorrow never knows it was very important, i'm not disputing that.
>>
>>70390396
>Yellow Submarine is 2nd
>>
>>70392815
>>70392931
I'm that retard. Feedback =/= psychedelic. Punk heavily utilizes feed back and has pretty much no psychedelic influence. psychedelic =/= the sonic cues of psychedelic music. Also, I would categorize the majority of dylan's imagery as absurdist, though admittedly mr. tambourine man is definitely psychedelic. Jefferson airplane was a blues rock band in 65. If you want to credit them with influencing west-coast acid rock as though it were psychedelic rock, then sure, I'll go along with that. I would like to delineate between the acid rock of the west coast and the psychedelic rock of the beatles, pink floyd, and the zombies from the UK that was of a VERY different variety musically.
>>
>>70393492
that should say psychedelic imagery =/= the sonic cues of psychedelic music. my bad.
>>
>>70393492
to devalue those individual accomplishments as creating psychedelic rock and giving all the credit to the beatles just because of 'muh tape loops' is actually seriously retarded.
>>
Norwegian Wood is psychedelic as well. So is Rain. Tomorrow Never Knows is an impressive track but it wasn't the game changer you seem to say it is.
>>
It should also be noted the first time psychedelic rock was used as a music descriptor wasn't for the Beatles but for 13th Floor Elevators.
>>
Eight Miles High was recorded on January 24 and 25 of 1966 and released on March 14 of the same year. Tomorrow Never Knows was recorded on April 6, 7 and 22 and released on August 5 of 1966.

Again, Tomorrow Never Knows is a very impressive record, but it wasn't the instigator of the psychedelic movement.
>>
Music critic Richie Unterberger states: "Trying to pin down the first psychedelic record is nearly as elusive as trying to name the first rock & roll record. Far-fetched claims have been advanced for songs running from the Tornados' futuristic 1962 number 1 instrumental 'Telstar' to the Dave Clark Five's massively reverb-laden 'Any Way You Want It'." XTC's Andy Partridge interprets psychedelia as a "grown-up" version of childrens' novelty records, believing that many of its musicians were trying to emulate those records that they grew up with. The first mention of LSD on a rock record was the Gamblers' 1960 surf instrumental "LSD 25".

In terms of bridging the relationship between music and hallucinogens, the Beatles & the Beach Boys were the most pivotal. In 1965, the Beach Boys' leader Brian Wilson started experimenting with song composition while under the influence of psychedelic drugs, and after being introduced to cannabis by Bob Dylan, members of the Beatles also began using LSD. The phenomenal success of these two bands allowed them the means to experiment with new technology over entire albums. The Beatles' May 1966 B-side "Rain" was the first pop recording to include reversed sounds, & drug references began to appear with the Beatles' "Day Tripper" (December 1965) & the Beach Boys' "Sloop John B" (March 1966).

In Unterberger's opinion, the Byrds, emerging from California's folk scene, were more responsible than the Beatles for "sounding the psychedelic siren". Drug use & attempts at psychedelic music moved out of acoustic folk-based music towards rock soon after the Byrds "plugged in" to produce a chart topping version of Dylan's "Mr.Tambourine Man" in the summer of 1965, which became a folk rock standard. The song's lyric, the narrator requests: "Take me on a trip upon your magic swirling ship". A number of Californian-based folk acts followed the Byrds into folk-rock, bringing their psychedelic influences with them, to produce the "San Francisco Sound".
>>
>>70387940
no
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.