[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Albums or artists that you unfairly dismissed at first,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7

ITT: Albums or artists that you unfairly dismissed at first, but now in retrospect you think are really pretty good, or at least not nearly as bad as you originally thought.

Im pretty sure the only reason I hated this album on release was that I heard people calling it "hipster music", and at one point in time I thought being a hipster was the worst thing you could possibly be.
>>
Vampire Weekend were definitely the textbook definition of college hipster

But yeah they were still good (are they even still together?)
>>
Contra is definitely a quality album, if overhyped and college-y. I think one of their guitarists quit to pursue solo projects, but supposedly they'll have a new album out some time this year.
>>
pretty much majority of my library were once artists i hated but now like
>>
What do people mean by college-y? I would associate this album with high school. In college, I would think of music that pushes the envelope a bit more, even obnoxiously or pretentiously so.
>>
>>70370968
Think new england yuppies in the autumn, wearing sweaters and collared shirts, drinking in pubs with dark hardwood floors, vacationing at their parents beachhouses in cape cod during the summer.

Granted, their self titled EP is more college-y than contra, but its the same aesthetic basically. Preppy kids listening to indie rock.
>>
s/t = Contra > MVotC

honestly, the only people I've ever met who genuinely dislike this band are contrarians trying to distantiate themselves from the "hipster" crowd and who most of the time barely listened to their actual songs or turboplebs
they're fucking great
>>
>>70371073
the preppy aesthetic was a facade, m8
look it up
>>
>>70370968
I agree. College-y albums make me think of shit like TMR
>>
File: fun - aim and ignite.jpg (74KB, 300x306px) Image search: [Google]
fun - aim and ignite.jpg
74KB, 300x306px
>>
The Lumineers
>>
>>70371121
>honestly, the only people I've ever met who genuinely dislike this band are contrarians trying to distantiate themselves from the "hipster" crowd and who most of the time barely listened to their actual songs

Thats what I mean, this was literally me when this album first came out, whenever that was.

Another artist I hated, despite never actually listening to the music, was Kanye. I only knew him as that outrageous douchebag celebrity who says wacky stuff and makes headlines every few weeks. But then I started coming here and you faggots memed me into listening to MBDTF, which I immediately loved. But for some reason I still held a weird irrational hatred for him, and sort of for hip-hop/rap in general, so I didnt listen to any of his other albums for months, just listened to MBDTF on repeat.

Then one day I finally got over myself and listened to college dropout. Hearing We Dont Care that first time blew my mind a little bit, I loved it right away just like MBDTF. Im pretty sure that was when I first started to actually pay attention and listen to music, and full albums, instead of just whatever random songs I liked on youtube. The beatles and whatever other normie shit I thought I liked, but only listened to because it was really the only music I knew existed outside of top40 pop.

Sorry for the blog
>>
>>70371324
that's funny, because I used to have respect to kanye until I actually listened to his music. stealing samples from much more talented artists and posing it as your own is not good musicmanship.
>>
File: 220px-Fobfolie.jpg (9KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Fobfolie.jpg
9KB, 220x220px
>>70369887
>>
silencer-death pierce me
>>
>>70371366
It's not good musicmanship, but if you like how it sounds it doesn't matter. You can make a case about how talented he is though.
>>
File: Blackparadecover.jpg (32KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Blackparadecover.jpg
32KB, 300x300px
>>
File: upthebracket.jpg (50KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
upthebracket.jpg
50KB, 500x500px
>>
>>70369887
I used to hate them because i had the urge to hate each and every rich kid in this planet
I'm over that though
>>
>>70373239
I mean I can't blame you, they were probably only a few steps removed from being an NPR-approved Mumford and Sons-core band
>>
>>70369943
pretty sure they are but it's too damn bad that Rostam left
>>
>>70371233
I remember seeing lots of rave reviews for this before Fun took off.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.