[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>"Yeah, I love folk" >"Joanna Newsom, Sufjan

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

File: file.png (810KB, 1300x957px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
810KB, 1300x957px
>"Yeah, I love folk"
>"Joanna Newsom, Sufjan Stevens, Bon Iver, the list goes on"
>>
>>70362365
Don't forget Fleet Foxes and Father John Misty
>>
>>70362380
You're right. Mark Kozelek, too
>>
>>70362391
>>70362380
>>70362365
>im a SERIOUS folk fan
>nick drake, nico, van morrison.... my taste is a little more developed than most
>>
>>70362455
That's a slight step up, but only a slight one. Except for Van Morrison which, while good, isn't even slightly folk.
>>
Am...am I a pleb, /mu/? I thought this was folk?
>>
>>70362468
>folk is my all time favourite genre
>townes van zandt, leonard cohen, bob dylan, the list goes on
>>
>>70362488
>folk music
Dock Boggs
Rita Abatzi
Michael Coleman

>pop music
Mark Kozelek
Joanna Newsom
Sufjan Stevens
>>
>>70362365
> don't forget Andrew Bird
>>
>>70362504
nah still pleb

try roy harper, smog, comus, The Pentangle. and phil ochs
>>
>>70362520

>Folk isn't allowed to be new
>>
>>70362543
>Danny Kroha
>Frank Fairfield
>The Black Twig Pickers
>Barna Howard
>Kaia Kater
>>
i've never seen such autism in one thread

>>70362535
comus are fucking garbage
>>
>>70362535
>comus
poseur detected
>>70362543
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popular_music
>>
>>70362558
>>70362567
>can only discredit comus
nice try plebs
>>
>>70362597
>only listens to the folk equivalent of mallgoth
baka
>>
>>70362617
That should read
>only listens to the """folk""" equivalent of mallgoth

Otherwise, yeah, you got a point
>>
>>70362617
if you're calling smog and roy harper mall goth
give me your address now so i can rape your whole family
>>
I remember people sucking Sufjan Steven's dick only one year ago. Same with Father John Misty. They're not folk, but they're good
>>
>>70362655
I still suck Sufjan's in the year 2017.
However, I would not really call him folk, although their are elements.
>>
>>70362655
The point isn't that Sufjan is bad it's that he's got as much to do with folk music as Jerry Seinfeld
>>
>>70362365
Guys, where can I download Ys by Joanna? I found only one torrent on TPB and it's not working.
>>
>>70363720
google "joanna newsom ys blogspot"
>>
>>70362535
>and phil ochs
Patrician detected
>>
>>70362365
Its weird how people associate alternative rock with an acoustic instrument=folk.

I think folk becoming distorted as genre can be traced to the folk revival of the Greenwich village scene and the folk rock scene that spawned from it,

For the most part the revival was actually what I would consider "folk" songs, that being songs with no clear origin and a multitude of arrangements, often dating way back and being passed on orally.

However what Dylan and others started doing was essentially acoustic contemporary ballads, breaking away from the traditional folk chord progressions and techniques. The popularity of these caused the mass public to associate anything acoustic with "Folk". They weren't helped by the vigorous marketing of bands as "Folk" or "folk rock"

>>70362543
I think folk can be new but anything written and recorded by a single artist from conception to CD isnt really folk. An example of folk (in first world countries could be choir songs shared by congregations with no real author attached to them.)
>>
out of curiosity do you guys consider woodie guthrie to be a folk singer?
>>
>>70363720
slsk
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.