[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this the most extreme album, regardless of genre, to ever

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 249
Thread images: 15

File: 232.jpg (50KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
232.jpg
50KB, 500x500px
Is this the most extreme album, regardless of genre, to ever achieve mainstream success in the US? It kind of blows my mind that an album that features Seth Putnam doing backing screams went platinum. I know a case can be made for Iowa but that album is just too cleanly produced and impersonal. The screams on Trendkill really sound anguished and ugly.

Reminder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opyVdN8GZtc
https://youtu.be/BWaHfVtnen4?t=266
https://youtu.be/_YqGCs1BR9I?t=200
https://youtu.be/RI3YYSMB3NY?t=204
>>
Close although Iowa is probably the heaviest major label album of all time.
>>
>>70314434
Shittest album they ever made. Including the hair metal phase.
>>
>impersonal
on the contrary i'd say Corey is one of the few nu metal vocalists that really sell their angst

also:
http://www.treblezine.com/swans-billboard-top-40-with-to-be-kind/
>>
>>70314451
It's their best album pleb
>>
>>70314451

I think it's their best. Their prior albums had a though guy/macho facade that I dislike. Trendkill is deeply personal and extreme, without losing the groove and southern metal trademarks.
>>
File: hah.png (230KB, 419x457px) Image search: [Google]
hah.png
230KB, 419x457px
>>70314442
>Iowa
>heaviest major label album
Yeah, no.

>>70314451
It's one of their better ones, you fucking idiot.
>>
>>70314442
>>70314434
These albums took rock to its logical conclusion. There was no further place to go with it, which is why it gradually died out during the 2000s.
>>
>>70314434
Suicide Note pt.1 >>>>> the rest of the album

And that song isn't heavy at all
>>
>>70314559
War Nerve is better.
>>
Eh...the problem I have with Iowa is how the songs are all basically the same. There's no variance to any of them.
>>
File: Disco_Volante_album_cover.jpg (62KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Disco_Volante_album_cover.jpg
62KB, 300x300px
>>70314442

Well Iowa got released on Roadrunner so that doesn't really count

For instance Disco Volante being released on Warner Bros. Records is pretty insane
>>
>>70314500
>listening to metal for the lyrics
pleb
>>70314504
It's the same shit they did their whole career but with shitter riffs and shitter grooves
>>70314492
>great southern memekill
>better than vulgar display of power
Stick to your nu-metal.
>>
>>70314559

Suicide note part 2 is without a doubt the most extreme major label metal song of the 90s.
>>
>>70314607
I always felt that's why critics don't like metal. It primarily relies on the instruments to tell a story, and trying to describe sounds is difficult.
>>
>>70314607

>vulgar display of power

Overrated. Holy fuck the tough guy Anselmo persona is so obnoxious.

>WALK ON HOME BOY

Yeah we get it Phil, you were one though motherfucker nobody could fuck with.

Everything is better on Trendkill. The intensity, the vocal performance, the guitar solos, the riffs, the bass lines and holy fuck the drumming is god tier.
>>
>>70314607
>Vulgar Display Of Power
>Pantera's best
Walk on home, boy.
>>
It's weird that Phil's career is still getting fucked over due to that salute controversy.
Rob Flynn capitalising on it and then videos of him yelling "nigger" surfacing was pretty funny though.
>>
>>70314652
>Vinnie Paul drumming
>Ever god tier
Also, like I addressed already
>Listening to metal for the lyrics
Pleb.
The riffs are objectively better on Vulgar Display. Dime solo's are also pretty much unanimously the same thing throughout his career. I would say either album had better solo's. But the composition on VDoP is significantly better cause Pantera were at the golden point of not being too green, and not being stale yet.
Overrated band anyway though. I don't see how you're all saying it's their best unless you're just being contrarian.
>>
>>70314709

Vinnie Paul had extreme dexterity when it came to double-bass. Trendkill is clearly his best drumming work.

>Listening to metal for the lyrics
>Pleb.

When deeply personal lyrics translate to intense vocal performances than it's something to care about. Anselmo was at a really dark place at the time and it shows in his vocal delivery. Nothing he ever did before or after matched the intensity.

>The riffs are objectively better on Vulgar Display

I'm not saying VDoP is bad, I'm saying it's overrated. The riffs on the album are fine and groovy but on Trendkill they're just way more visceral and extreme.

>Dime solo's are also pretty much unanimously the same thing throughout his career

Trendkill features his best solo performance, Floods. That's not even a contrarian opinion that's simple objective fact.

>Pantera were at the golden point of not being too green, and not being stale yet.

Vulgar was heavy enough to make people turn their heads and peak interest from a mainstream metal crowd. Trendkill scared a lot of people off with it's extreme sound. I'm not arguing what's more popular.

>I don't see how you're all saying it's their best unless you're just being contrarian.

I like the intensity. Also Suicide note part 1 is a nice emotional ballad. Floods is also a very interesting and atmospheric track.
>>
File: christgau1med.jpg (18KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
christgau1med.jpg
18KB, 400x266px
Reinventing the Steel [EastWest, 2000] *bomb*
>>
>>70314607
>>70314709
>lyrics don't matter in le metal
of course they do, if bands didn't think lyrics were important then they wouldn't write any. Even stupid lowbrow lyrics like Motorhead's or Venom's signify in a way that is supposed to complement the music. And most people who don't usually care about lyrics will still get annoyed if the lyrics are the wrong kind of stupid (Anselmo, for many) or pretentiously stupid (lots of Opeth songs, for me). For example, part of the reason modern Slayer sucks is because their lyrics got annoying and retarded.

caring about metal lyrics isn't pleb. Completely ignoring a part of the music (which the writer took time and effort to create) is pleb, and you probably aren't paying enough attention to the music you listen to if the lyrics never enhance or degrade your experience
>>
>>70314978
This is objectively correct though, RtS is shit.
>>
FOR EVERY FUCKING SECOND
THE PATHETIC MEDIA PISSES ON ME
AND JUDGES WHAT I AM
IN ONE PARAGRAPH
LOOK HERE
FUCK YOU ALL

You sure he wasn't talking about Christgau here? :^)
>>
Probably. I can't think of anything that's as vicious.
and Floods is the best Pantera "ballad".
>>
>>70315009
t. non-musician pleb
Slayer were never good. The reason they suck is their shitty, sloppy playing, and the fact that the only talented member of the band was only in it for like half their career.
>>
"At that time (mid-1990s), all the great metal bands were starting to soften their sound and go more commercial. I felt we just had to keep on doing what we did and play as heavy as our style would allow."

-- Phil Anselmo
>>
>>70315089
>what is Hell Awaits

Good memepinion, though.
>>
File: 41BGYJm5POL.jpg (18KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
41BGYJm5POL.jpg
18KB, 500x500px
Here's an interesting question. Is this the heaviest album to achieve mainstream success that doesn't have screamed vocals? It certainly is the heaviest album to go diamond.
>>
TGSTK is also mixed just perfectly. The right balance of heavy, but also clean, sharp, and not excessively loud. Too bad this was lost a few years later when nu metal was at its peak. Albums like The Sickness are almost unlistenable by contrast.
>>
>>70315089
>t. non-musician pleb
wrong, but I really hope you're not one of those naive formalist metal fans
>person who enjoys VDoP shitting on '80s Slayer
wew
>>
>>70315124
>what is Hell Awaits
Oh, just one of the most over-rated, sloppy, poorly produced albums in metal history, performed by the most fake, poser band in metal history.
>>
>>70315164
The Abbot brothers were from a production background, probably helped a lot.
>>
>>70315164

Yeah, I really like the production on TGSTK. Cowboys sounds kinda echoy, while Vulgar and FBD have this weird metallic-sounding tinge. TGSTK sounds really organic. RTS sounds too compressed.
>>
>>70315197
It's mixed better in my opinion than VDOP which is a bit on the muddy side.
>>
>>70315177
Cool buzzwords, senpai.
>>
File: 002[1].jpg (565KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
002[1].jpg
565KB, 1000x1000px
this album was kind of successful, right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhj2P5MKvgQ
>>
>>70315167
>use satanic imagery on literally every album
>christian
>supposedly most "brutal" metal band ever
>fans literally carve slayer into their skin with blades and light it on fire
>vocalist has never been in a mosh pit
>pulls out of a show cause of an earache
Fuck Slayer, they're posers.
Also, like I said, I think VDoP is the best album by an extremely overrated band. It's not like it's in my classics pile or anything.
>>
>>70315207
Reinventing the Steel came out in 2000 when brickwalling was at its peak, so that's kind of self-explanatory. One of the worst things to ever happen to music production.
>>
>>70315231

This is what people who don't listen to metal think metal sounds like. The vocals are just ridiculous.
>>
>>70315222
Buzzwords is a buzzword. Doesn't make me less right.
>>
Iowa is definitely a hard album to listen to because of how brickwalled it is.
>>
>>70315234

Kerry King is an honest to god satanist. At least that's what he says.
>>
>>70315249
The fact that you are wrong makes you totally not right.
>>
>>70315270
Of course he does.
He's a walking meme.
Also a shit guitarist.
>>
>>70315234
you sure love macho posturing and calling out "posers." Are you sure you're not a big Pantera fan? or did you just discover your first black metal band, or something?
>>
File: repentless.jpg (55KB, 638x723px) Image search: [Google]
repentless.jpg
55KB, 638x723px
>a 50 year old man wrote these lyrics
>>
>>70315396

>macho posturing
>in metal

You don't say.
>>
>>70314434
I don't know where you're getting your information or maybe you have different definitions but this did not achieve mainstream success. Cowboys from Hell was their only mainstream success.
>>
>>70315403

Anyone who's still a slayer fan at this point is a hardass.
>>
File: u.png (656KB, 850x476px) Image search: [Google]
u.png
656KB, 850x476px
>>70315248
Brutal/Deathcore/Grindcore is NOT Music!
>>
>>70314603
Do you have a list of the entire Warner brothers catalog?
>>
>>70315443

>Cowboys from Hell was their only mainstream success.

No, it's Vulgar. Walk was a one of the biggest metal hits of the 90s. Still mind blowing that TGSTK went platinum.
>>
Slayer's never done anything as heavy as Suicide Note Part 2. Phil's screams are fucking unreal. Also how the fuck does Dime get a guitar to make those sounds?
>>
>>70315396
Nice memes bro. I don't give a shit about "poser" fans and shit, but Slayer made money off pretending to be these edgy, brutal, satanist guys when they're the exact opposite.
>>
I fucking love Pantera and Slayer, but I have to say Slayer is lyrically more brutal. Compare Angel of Death or Payback to slaughtered or this song.
>>
>>70315488

Fuck off, I don't like cookie monster "br00tal" vocals.
>>
>>70315507
Do you mean the dissonant high notes? It's pretty basic desu.
>>
>>70315507

>Slayer's never done anything as heavy as Suicide Note Part 2

They can't because they're strictly a thrash metal band. Thrash metal isn't that brutal to begin with.
>>
>>70315546
>>70315507
Lyrically, yes, Slayer is definitely more brutal. But if you compare the playing and the tone and sound of the vocals, Pantera is the more brutal band. Slayer definitely has them beat on brutal lyrics though.. Also if you actually read some of the lyrics on The Great Southern Trendkill album, you will find that they are pretty fucked up... For example, this song is actually about a suicide note.
>>
>>70315573

>Slayer definitely has them beat on brutal lyrics though

There's a fine line between brutal and edgy.
>>
>>70315503
Yeah fucking right. I barely even remember what that song sounds like and I was 18 in 1995. After Cowboys from Hell they were strictly niche no matter how many albums they sold.

You wanna talk crazy song on an extremely mainstreambum? Endless Nameless on Nevermind. Of course it was a hidden track but it was there and I don't think any of us need to debate how massive that album was.

And I just saw Phil last night actually.
>>
>>70315593
This. Slayers lyrics are the Manson lyrics of the 80s.
>>
Slayer's albums always had such terrible, thin, muddy sound that it was really impossible for them to be that heavy. Metallica even had more face-pounding songs like Battery.
>>
>>70315514
you know the actors in a play are not really the characters they are performing, right?

you know Slayer's first three albums are landmarks of early edgy, brutal, satanic thrash, right?

(btw, how many people in satanic bands do you know of who actually practice theistic satanism and not just laveyan LARP satanism?)
>>
>>70315595

>After Cowboys from Hell they were strictly niche no matter how many albums they sold.

That's not true, CFH came out in 1990. Vulgar sold more in less time. Vulgar is what got them truly big.

Metal in general was niche in the 90s. Still doesn't change the fact that Pantera went platinum multiple times and sold out huge venues during that time. Their fanbase was extremely loyal.
>>
As Dave Mustaine said, "The occult is a really hard thing to get into. It takes up a ton of your time and then it's hard to get back out of it again. Why turn to the Devil? He's already here."
>>
>>70315660
Pantera were almost the only band keeping mainstream metal alive in the 90s.
>>
>>70315629
get better speakers & turn up the volume
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0hTE_oFOoQ
>>
>>70315639
>you know the actors in a play are not really the characters they are performing, right?
People who's job is pretending are different to musicians. Slayer make out like they're being authentic when they aren't.
>you know Slayer's first three albums are landmarks of early edgy, brutal, satanic thrash, right?
Any band that use satanic imagery consistently are shit. The fake ones are just worse cause at least the legit ones are being authentic. Which has pretty much always been a core value of the metal world.
I don't see your point.
>>
>>70315680

Mustaine was a degenerate lowlife in the 80s. No wonder he became born again.
>>
>>70315660
Fine then we can talk about platinum but that does not equal mainstream. Maybe mainstream metal but that's it. But fib craziest and/or most violent song on a platinum and above album.

The first band I thought if was Faith no More
>>
>>70315629
I kind of agree. RTL and MOP both have a much fuller, louder sound than any Slayer album and Tom Araya can't touch James Hetfield for aggression. His vocals always sound a little too goofy, like he doesn't take the songs that seriously.
>>
>>70315701
>bass guitar being more prevalent = not thin muddy mixes
Their production sucks and always has.
>>
>>70315704

Also Rick Rubin, a hip-hop producer, produced their biggest album. That means Slayer is responsible for rap and nu-metal.
>>
>>70315734
>like he doesn't take the songs that seriously.
He doesn't. He's just trying to sound edgy.
>>
>this thread
It's like I'm actually back in the 9th grade.
>>
>>70315701

How much more echoy and tinny can the production be? The answer is none.
>>
>>70315660
>Metal in general was niche in the 90s.
Bull fucking shit

Are you seriously not intimately familiar with Faith no more? Do you not understand how massive metallica one was? Do you you not think guns n roses were metal? Appetite was insanely popular and mainstream.
>>
>>70315753
A lot of people like to say Rubin lost it since the late 90s, but if RIB is an indication, he always sucked.
>>
>>70315769
Go back to waifu-fagging over Grimes then.
>>
>>70315704
>People who's job is pretending are different to musicians. Slayer make out like they're being authentic when they aren't.
lol no, the vast majority of metal bands are putting on a performance. Tom has never pretended to be a real Satanist and Kerry has always been an authentic edgelord atheist as far as I know. I don't know why you think they're trying to deceive anyone
>Any band that use satanic imagery consistently are shit.
I'm scared to find out what kind of metal you actually listen to
>>
>>70315782
Metallica turned to shit radio rock in the 90s and AFD was an 80s album. Guns were hard rock anyway, not metal.
>>
Tom Araya was raised a Catholic just like Iommi and Butler, that's where all the Satanism came from.
>>
>>70315766
I always felt Het's angst was more real since he'd lost both his parents by 16.
>>
>>70315803
Wtf is afd

Justice won the Grammy in 1990

And yes guns n roses were fucking metal just because it's not fucking thrash doesn't meant it's not metal.
>>
>>70315550
fuck up, plen
>>
Slayer also cheated and used studio editing to speed their songs up. A lot of that shit they couldn't really play live, but Metallica back in the day often played even faster than the record.
>>
>>70315782

>Are you seriously not intimately familiar with Faith no more?

They were alternative. Alternative music in general blew up in the 90s.

>Do you not understand how massive metallica one was?

They're the only exception. The black album came out in the early 90s and they ditched their thrash style for a more mainstream oriented sound even further with load and reload.

>Appetite was insanely popular and mainstream.

That came out in the 80s, during a time when glam metal was still popular and topping charts.

Alternative music and grunge killed metal during the 90s. Metal was the butt of all jokes.
>>
>>70315841
Appetite For Destruction and no, GNR aren't metal. They were trying to resurrect Aerosmith and Exile-era Stones on that album.
>>
>>70315867
Then I'll take that as no. Go listen to the first two Patton albums then get back to me. I'm not even reading the rest of your post.
>>
>>70315740
I mean the first two albums have a lot of production flaws, but RIB (non-remaster) and South of Heaven sound extremely nice on good speakers
>>70315776
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18lPKkOaU40
also, this is one of the best metal production jobs of all time so I don't think reverb and tinniness are necessarily bad for metal
>>
>>70315883
They were way fucking heavier than aerosmith. Do you not think Poison were metal?
>>
>>70315788
Putting on a performance isn't the same as an entirely fake persona. Tom has consistently tried to seem like a badass when in reality he's as much of a pussy as any pop singer.
He's literally scared of mosh pits. He isn't part of the metal community in any realistic way.
>dark imagery and consistent satan-spamming are the same thing
kek. Testament don't use a lot of satanic imagery. Maiden don't unless it serves a purpose for the theme of an album/song. Metallica never did. Megadeth didn't. Judas Priest didn't.
Those are just the biggest of the biggest bands.
>>
>>70315867
>Alternative music and grunge killed metal during the 90s. Metal was the butt of all jokes.

Correct. Pantera were the one exception because they dropped all the sci-fi/Tolkien/Satan crap and went for alternative-style lyrics.
>>
>>70315901

>Do you not think Poison were metal?

Are you not familiar with glam metal? That was a real genre.
>>
>>70315906
>Testament don't use a lot of satanic imagery. Maiden don't unless it serves a purpose for the theme of an album/song. Metallica never did. Megadeth didn't. Judas Priest didn't

Priest did on one song (Saints in Hell), but that was never played live, so...meh.
>>
>>70315841
off the top of my head, I can't even think of any metal-style riffs on AFD
>>
>>70315923
>what does consistently mean
>>
Bands like Poison and Warrant were really hard rock rather than metal.
>>
>>70315915
Exactly so I'm saying guns n roses were metal. My point is that afd was insanely popular and mainstream which carried over to their 90s albums to keep them mainstream and popular.
>>
Hard rock is based on the blues scale, it usually stays in 4/4 time and it deals with realistic topics like sex. Metal tends to be based on scales borrowed from classical music and can use widely variable time signatures, also it has more in the way of sci-fi and fantasy subjects.
>>
>>70315929
My Michelle, for one. But GnR were a metal band who ventured into other genres.
They weren't thrash metal, or influenced by it, but it's still metal. If Deep Purple are metal GnR definitely are.
>>
>>70315942
Guns lost it on the bloated UYI messes and then they broke up. By the time they finished the UYI tour in the summer of 1993, they'd become almost completely irrelevant. Alternative rock quickly made them outdated.
>>
>>70315961
>metal can't be blues based
Isn't this a Pantera thread?
>>
File: 1381306897166.jpg (49KB, 463x463px) Image search: [Google]
1381306897166.jpg
49KB, 463x463px
>>70315961

>Metal tends to be based on scales borrowed from classical music
>>
Say, Warrant--Cherry Pie. That's pretty much the type hard rock song.
>>
>>70315980
Well that's the 90s and uyi was still metal that was very popular and very mainstream. To a possibly undetermined degree of riding the captains of their absolutely insanely popular afd. I cannot understate how popular that album was.
>>
>>70316020
Fucking autocorrect

Captains = coattails
>>
>>70314434
I prefer VDOP and RTS but this one is also great.
>>
>>70316015

I'd call it glam metal. Too hard for hard rock.
>>
>>70316015
It's Glam Metal.
>>
Dime sure was great at copying James Hetfield's tone/riffs.
>>
>>70314434
I'm finishing this album now and as a Faith No More fan I'm not that impressed especially considering how vastly more popular and mainstream they were. The comparison is a fucking joke.
>>
>>70315906
>He isn't part of the metal community in any realistic way.
ok but he gave the metal community 3 of its most important albums. it does not matter much to me if he is a lame, successful old guy now. That sort of thing matters to kids who post on youtube about how Metallica totally sux cuz they sold out and are gay
>kek. Testament don't use a lot of satanic imagery. Maiden don't unless it serves a purpose for the theme of an album/song. Metallica never did. Megadeth didn't. Judas Priest didn't.
ok? Those bands combined are worth about 20 good albums if I'm being generous. Your blanket rule that "any band that use satanic imagery consistently are shit" excludes hundreds if not thousands of great records. It's one of the most naive fucking metal opinions I've ever heard
>>
>>70316090
If he was alive no one would give a fuck about him. He'd be as big of a joke as Phil is.
>>
>>70316080
That song just has power chords, there's no riffs in there. No riffs=no metal. If you'd asked any real metalhead back then if Poison and Warrant were metal, they'd laugh you out of the building.
>>
>>70316090
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc-19z52Da0
my favorite song from AJFA
>>
>>70315403
i think i wrote this song when i was 13
>>
>>70316093
I'm not talking about using in on the occasional album cover, I mean making it part of their bands identity. There aren't too many bands outside of blackshit who do that.
>>
>>70316090
Listen to the intro on Living Through Me. That could just as well have been on TBA.
>>
>>70316112
>Riffs can't be made of power chords
Lrn2guitar
>>
>>70314434
>dad has a vintage pantera t shirt from trend kill days
going to cop it off the fag when he dies
>>
>>70316148
They can be (say, Black Sabbath--The Wizard) but Cherry Pie just has chords.
>>
>>70316165
>No respect for his father
Filthy nu-male or edgy teenager?
>>
>>70316128
tons of important '80s bands and a huge amount of black and death bands, especially underground. It really sounds like you haven't listened to much non-mainstream metal at all
>>
>>70316188
It literally has riffs the whole way through it. It's objectively glam metal.
>>
>>70316090

You can still hear some Ace Frehley influence on Trendkill. It's insane how much he was influenced by him to the point of being buried in a Kiss casket.
>>
>>70316148
Yeah...it's called groove metal.
>>
>>70315494
https://www.discogs.com/label/1000-Warner-Bros-Records
>>
>>70316234
Kiss were the first heavy music a lot of people Dime's age were exposed to. Kurt Cobain even secretly liked them.
>>
>>70316219
Dark imagery =/= satan. I would actually say the same about you. Black metal isn't the only genre of underground metal. There are plenty of death metal bands who don't, too. But even then. Those aren't the only 2 genre's of underground metal. You should expand bruh.
>>
>>70316245
>Only groove metal can make riffs out of powerchords
You sound as retarded as the guy who thinks cherry pie doesn't have riffs in it.
>>
>>70316188
...Have you ever actually heard Cherry Pie?
>>
>>70316289

Wish me luck
>>
>>70314603
Pretty insane? Far from it. This album is literally nothing more than Naked City worship which is a far crazier album although on a WB sublabel Nonesuch. Combine that with Faith No More having editions of their Albums on WB then its really not that surprising let alone insane.
>>
Vulgar Display is a good album to lift weights to.
>>
>>70316509
?
Mr Bungle sounds nothing like Zorn/Naked City
>>
>>70316601
What in the literal fuck

I will amend it to say that it is little more rather than literally
>>
Putnam is the only good part of this record
>>
>>70316601
Have you never heard Disco Volante? I just started the 2nd song and I'm already laughing at you.
>>
and the 3rd song is literal Naked City worship
>>
>metal
grow up
>>
>>70316830
I know, right? This thread sounds like arguments I used to have when I was 15.
>>
>metal
more like Mattel
>>
It has Seth from AC on it so it must be brutal
>>
>>70316830
>>70316878
kys
>>
>>70316115
Cowboys From Hell is just The Four Horsemen with a Texas flavor.
>>
>>70314674
>southern white guy that uses confederate flags on stage says racist shit
>people don't like that
i mean, it's not that weird
>>
>>70316962
There's entire verses on that album where Phil imitates James Hetfield and Henry Rollins.
>>
I cannot believe no one yelled White Power last night.
>>
Suicide Note pt 2 is Pantera's best song
>>
>>70316090
>>70316115
lyl I read somewhere that George Harrison didn't like to listen to any music for fear he'd unconsciously steal something.
>>
>>70315029
It has a couple great songs though

>revolution is my name
>when I die I'll cast a shadow
>>
>>70315234
>theyre not tough guys for the camera so i cant listen to their music
this post summarizes pantera's entire fanbase
>>
>>70318019
The issue is they ARE tough guys for the camera, but they're total pussies.
How can you be the singer of one of the big 4 and never have been in a mosh pit?
He's literally scared of metal culture.
>>
>>70315861
Citation needed
>>
>>70318273
It's unsubstantiated. I don't think they do, because if they did they'd be able to play in time.
>>
>>70317005
honestly lol
>>
>>70318068
Judas Priest actually were as well. Rob Halford said he was uncomfortable about the razor blade cover on British Steel because of how razors were associated with punk rock. Also Tipton and Downing said that they somehow ended up at a Hell's Angels gathering in a bar during one of their first US tours and they were scared and hightailed it out of there.
>>
>>70318648
Well, they were a pretty gay band desu.
>>
>>70315988
that is objectively true, you musically illiterate /mu/ drone
>>
>>70316015
>>70316112
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RisWH8iMLdE

It has riffs but they're just basic penatonic stuff without any of the Aeolian/Dorian scales found in metal riffs.
>>
>>70318068
the only one who does the tough guy posturing is kerry king, and who gives a fuck? their albums through seasons in the abyss are all great.

also metal culture is largely shit
>>
>>70318834
Also that song is 4/4 time and has too simple of a structure for metal.
>>
>>70318648
Glenn Tipton's recollection of this incident: "At that time (1978), most of the bikers in the US were still big on Blue Oyster Cult. Someone invited us to a party that turned out to be filled with Hell's Angels members. It was total chaos in there. Guys drunk, passed out everywhere, getting into fights, teeth laying on the floor, blood, that sort of thing. Neither of us had ever had anything to do with bikers and Ken with his long hair and everything...we decided to just get out of that place as quickly as we could."
>>
>>70319074
lyl
>>
>>70318923
Except they aren't good albums, the only decent member of the band was lombardo, and he was only there for half their career, and a great drummer means less than nothing if the rest of the band can't play to him. Araya can't play with his beats, which is a bassists entire fuckin job. Kerry King is one of the sloppiest guitarists ever, and Jeff had a couple of kinda decent solo's but just did the same shit over and over again, and couldn't write for shit. Plus Tom Araya is objectively the shittest vocalist of the big 4.
All of their albums, like someone said earlier, have this really shitty thin, muddy production too, and their guitar tones are both shit, and pretty much indecipherable from each other. >>70318648
At least Priest made decent music though.
>>
>>70319555
Well how about you criticize their music to start with and not their fucking personal lives?
>>
>>70318932
It's Glam Metal, which is still metal.
And there are a million bands, Pantera included, that virtually never write outside of 4/4 and the usual intro/verse/chorus/verse/solo/chorus structures.
>>
>>70319615
I did earlier in the thread, then added the fact that they're poser as shit afterwards.
>>
>>70319555

Araya is a better vocalist than Mustaine. And Hetfield vocals went to shit during Black Album.
>>
>>70316694
What Naked City song does Chemical Marriage sound like?
>>
File: christgaut98t.jpg (71KB, 212x244px) Image search: [Google]
christgaut98t.jpg
71KB, 212x244px
Reign In Blood [Def Jam, 1986]

I'm not about to check out the complete works of Venom to see if you can't do better, but anyone wondering what gets Washington ladies up these days is welcome to buy, beg, borrow, or steal this piece of, quote, speed Satanism, un quote. Rick Rubin focused, CBS passed, guitar's quicker than a theremin on reverb. And to top it off, "Jesus Saves" mauls the enemy, which as we all know isn't Jesus, or Satan for that matter. B+
>>
>>70319651
I can't stand Mustaine's vocals but I would still unironically put him above Araya.
Also I've seen Metallica a few times in the past 10 years and his vocals are still great whenever they play the classics.
>>
>>70319776
James's vocals were shit in the late 2000s but he's gotten better in recent years and regained some of that aggression.

Come to think of it, that's also true of Rob Halford.
>>
"I'm not sure if thrash would exist without glam rock. There was a giant hatred for that that fueled a lot of thrash. Maybe some know the story - Metallica growing up in Los Angeles right in the heart of glam, right at the peak of glam and your Motley Crues, your Ratts, your Poisons, all that stuff was based in L.A. and we were the hated figure, but they were hated even more. We were thrown out of clubs because they thought we were punk rock. The Big Four name was not coined by us. It's been in the press for a long, long time and way back. So there's no limit to the number of big thrash bands that were respected in those days. I would say, personally, I would say Exodus would be number five."

-- James Hetfield
>>
>>70314488
i think this is where nu-metal was destined to fail

when all those bands were first becoming big it was because in part that they were actually the embodiment of that edge.

jon davis from korn was a strung out sexual assault victim

corey taylor was a cocaine addict who ODed as a teenager

the whiny singer from staind was homeless

the singer from linkin park was a meth head.

nothing bad happened to fred durst he's just always been a dipshit

but once all those guys got rich and happy there's nowhere for your songwriting to go other than to sound fake and contrived
>>
>>70319909
Fred Durst is a real nigga bruh don't even be trippin like that you whack as hatin' nigga
>>
File: o-DEE-SNIDER-facebook.jpg (396KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
o-DEE-SNIDER-facebook.jpg
396KB, 2000x1000px
>>70319909
"I remember how, after we'd made it big with Stay Hungry, I bought a mansion in LA and sat down next to the pool trying to write the next teen angst anthem and drawing a complete blank."
>>
>>70319983
Yeah...once you have money, all the hunger and drive are lost.
>>
>>70314541
i would say the overflow of post-grunge did it in more than those two records did.
>>
>>70320152
LOOK AT THIS PHOTOGRAPH
>>
>>70319682
It's a short song so I think we can take it increments. I assume 0:47-1:02 needs literally no explanation. Just trying to knock out the easy stuff first. And also not to say that this style is exclusive to Zorn but given the other similarities like in the next song I think it's important.
>>
>>70316962
CFH was literally Pantera ripping off Exhorders Slaughter in the Vatican sound.
>>
>>70320454
Ok so this portion again occurs again for a grand total of 30 seconds and with some very slight rounding and general similarities I think we can shave off the last 9 seconds which brings us to

150 seconds

Is it really worth debating 150 seconds of a 69 minute album? I'll just give it to you for the sake of argument.
>>
>>70319074
IDG how Blue Oyster Cult are a biker band unless the only song of theirs you've ever heard was Before The Kiss, A Redcap.
>>
>>70320631
Because bikers were into them.
>>
File: circular-reasoning1.jpg (76KB, 425x399px) Image search: [Google]
circular-reasoning1.jpg
76KB, 425x399px
>>70320699
>>70320631
>>
>>70315769
>Kanye
I think you are in 9th grade
>>
>unironically discussing metal
This board is more underage than I could have imagined.
>>
>>70320552
>0:47-1:02
Naked City invented swing rhythms?
>150 seconds
Of what? You've counted 30 seconds in two portions.
>Carry Stress in the Jaw is a Naked City song
Once again, it doesn't sound like anything in particular Naked City put out except maybe Speedfreaks, but that's assuming that Naked City has some sort of a patent on the "genre switcheroo" genre.

Mr Bungle was influenced by Naked City and even collaborated with John Zorn, but dismissing them as "Naked City worship" is just dumb, considering they have had much more going on than just that (plus that term itself sounds pretty exciting anyway).
>>
>>70319909
>the singer from linkin park was a meth head
Gonna need a source on that
>>
>>70320910
Grimesfaggot spotted
Lol just leave bb
>>
>>70315089
you have approximately zero idea what you're talking about, don't you?
>>
"On top of everything else, the media accused us of being Nazis for making a song about Dr. Mengele. I mean, it's not as if the song exactly depicts him as a nice guy."

-- Kerry King
>>
>>70320911
Speedfreaks is absolutely not the only song they do that. And no one has a patent on anything but it's not just about genre switching. It is specifically about jazz metal. And I mean with horns and shit not just some metal band like Atheist playing something that's arguably Jazzy
>>
>>70319555

>>70321034 T H I S

whatever overrated osdm or brutal death your contrarian ass is into would not exist without slayer
>>
And specifically jazz thrash metal
>>
>>70321110
what the fuck does this irrelevant kerry "manchild" king quote have to do with anything?
>>
>>70321119
>Mr. Bungle
>Jazz metal
Now I've heard everything

Their albums aren't even metal bar a few songs each, and Chemical Marriage is their only track I'd call remotely "jazzy" all through, you can find a few snippets in stuff like The Bends and Travolta but that's it
>>
>>70321130

no it wouldn't exist without celtic frost.
>>
>>70319686
Never thought I'd see him give a metal album a B+.
>>
RIB makes Master of Puppets look like toddler stuff, man.
>>
>>70321130
>le nothing exists in a vacuum argument
Pleb.
Slayer wouldn't exist if the beatles and elvis didn't make rock n roll white, doesn't mean they owe their success to them, does it.
So bands took what slayer were trying to do and made it actually good, that doesn't make slayers music good.
No one's actually tried to refute anything I've said, you's just thrown buzzwords around, "Oh you're just being contrarian" "You don't like the band I worship blindly? You must have no idea what you're talking about".
Couldn't be more pleb if you tried.
>>
>>70321439
Master of Puppets is in time, and has decent production. It's objectively a better album.
>>
>>70321402
I think because Reign in Blood was so ridiculous and over-the-top that he couldn't help but get a kick out of it.
>>
>>70321485
Metallica were better at writing songs and melody/hooks but Slayer has the edge for sheer face-smashing aggression.
>>
>>70321551
Master of Puppets is a thicker, bigger sounding album, which makes a song like Battery or Damage, Inc feel far more aggressive than the empty sounding guitars on basically any Slayer album.
>>
>>70321512
The songs are short, fast, and Tom's delivery is pretty comical. That's pretty much all the stuff Christgau thinks makes a good rock album. I can see why he'd not like something like Metallica S/T (which got a bomb rating).
>>
RIB sounds heavy if you have a good sound system (not laptop speakers).
>>
>people saying Rick Rubin's production is bad

ok bud sure thing haha lol
>>
>>70321722
I'm an audio engineer. I know what good speakers sound like. It's a thin, muddled, poorly produced waste of engineering, with tracks bleeding all over each other. Fast and messy =/= heavy.
>>
After listening to MOP and RIB, I find it easier to headbang to the latter. Definitely more driving than anything on Puppets except Battery.
>>
>>70321755
Every good producer has bad mixes. Plus, a lot of the time you're subject to what the band thinks is best for their sound. A lot of the time they'll have their heart set on a certain guitar tone, or certain things like that and because they're paying you, you just have to deal with it and do the best with what you have to work with.
>>
>>70321820
>Plus, a lot of the time you're subject to what the band thinks is best for their sound

Most famously, on AJFA where Lars insisted on that typewriter key drum sound.
>>
>>70321818
But at the same time, you won't find yourself humming any Slayer songs afterwards like you would, say, For Whom The Bell Tolls.
>>
>>70321722
The snare sound on RIB is god tier

>>70321763
>>70321763
It had better production than any other metal that was going for that level of intensity at the time
>>
>>70321928
Yeah, Metallica have bad mixes too. MoP isn't one of them. KEA, RTL and MoP are better than anything in the rest of the big 4's discography.
>>
>>70321820
Though I still have to wonder what was with Bowie mixing Raw Power so thin when Iggy Pop has even said he wasn't happy with the production there.
>>
>>70322006
>It had better production than any other metal that was going for that level of intensity at the time

Really. Imagine how brutal that album sounded in 1986.
>>
>>70321222
Yeah and that song is filled with shifts to thrash/death metal

Just like naked city and on more than just one song. And btw when I saw Mr bungle for this tour people called it jazz metal and you're literally the first person I've ever heard take issue with it.
>>
>>70320051
the reason why not 1 real gangster rapper has had longevity
>>
>>70322028
Yeah I don't think he understood what Iggy was going for at all. Sometimes great musicians are not good producers.
>>
>>70322138
That's why I respect 50 so much tbqh. He saw his numbers dropping and jumped straight into the business world and built his own empire. Still releases singles and albums, sure, but he barely focuses on them.
>>
Iggy brickwalled the shit out of Raw Power in the remaster. In the liner notes, he says he couldn't get the sound he was going for on the original mix, but avoids directly attacking David Bowie, a good friend and colleague.
>>
>>70321222
Travolta? We have been exclusively talking about disco village on which there are numerous examples you missed for instance the one I'm on right now Phlegmatics

Oh I'm sorry are clarinets not jazzy enough for you? Wtf are you doing man literally
>>
>>70322391
God fucking damn autocorrect

Village = volante
>>
Not gonna lie lads, I'm not really into metal, but am starting to enjoy early Metallica.
How does a band like Iron Maiden fit into this whole genre? Do they deserve their praise and longevity?
>>
>>70322510
Iron Maiden is normie as fuck but their debut is bretty gud
>>
>>70322510
Maiden were central to the NWOBM sound. They do deserve praise for their albums up to Powerslave, but they should have just...stopped in the early 90s.
>>
>>70322510
Iron Maiden was one of the firsts and was very influential.
>>
>>70322568
What is NWOBM?
>>
>>70322568
At least Metallica don't pretend they're still relevant.
>>
File: facepalm.jpg (35KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
facepalm.jpg
35KB, 600x600px
>>70322614
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_wave_of_British_heavy_metal
>>
treat
>>
Depends on what you mean by commercial success. I would say that Slayer's Reign in Blood is a good contender.
>>
>>70322714
According to the post the line is apparently drawn at platinum and only the extreme songs have to be counted because that Panera album is filled with John denver tier shit.
>>
>>70322856
There's like two slow songs on the album. Geez.
>>
>>70320984
>Bennington's parents divorced when he was 11 years old and his father gained custody of him.[3] After the divorce, Bennington started abusing marijuana, alcohol, opium, cocaine, methamphetamine,[4][6] and LSD.[3]
>At the age of 17, Bennington moved in with his mother and was banned from leaving the house when his mother discovered his drug activity.[3] He worked at a Burger King and used his money for cocaine and crystal meth[9] before starting his career as a professional musician.[4]
>>
>>70314434
just bumping up to remind that ``This Love'' has the best fucking guitar solo ever recorded
>>
What a shitty thread
>>
File: images (2).jpg (7KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
7KB, 259x194px
it depends on what you mean by success, I'll leave Napalm Deaths Scum album out for discussion
>>
>>70320152

that came from bands like Oasis and Gin Blossoms though, not Pantera and Slayer
>>
>>70315488

the ted poster in the background kills me every time
>>
>>70315029
>>70317990
>forgetting Death Rattle, which made it into SpongeBob
>>
>>70315861
>Metallica back in the day often played even faster than the record.
This is true, and makes listening to Puppets-era bootlegs more fun. They stopped doing it in the Justice era though.
>>
>>70317105
Does that make his music Outsider art?
>>
I like Vulgar Display but to each his own. While we're on the subject and I've heard them mentioned in this thread, why do people like Slipknot?
Thread posts: 249
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.