[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>finally get to hang out with music majors and performers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 4

File: 1479087165736.jpg (27KB, 639x475px)
1479087165736.jpg
27KB, 639x475px
>finally get to hang out with music majors and performers
>mfw they're all plebs

Half of them just listened to the same pop music every else did and the most "patrician" of them were only at basic /mu/tant levels. Despite playing and studying classical music they didn't give two shits about it outside school/work. When I asked one of them why he liked a certain song, he just said "I dunno, I just do," and when I asked if he thought about the music theory behind it, he just said, "I don't really think about that stuff if it's not for school."

You people lied to me. Enough with that "you have to play music to be a true patrician" crap.
>>
Dont worry about what is patrician or not, just listen to what you like. I used to worry about that a lot and it constricted my tastes, now that ive let go of it, ive found music I like more, and more of it.
>>
srs question when the fuck has anyone here discussed music theory behind songs, am i looking in the wrong threads or something is there some fucking hidden general where you guys have intelligent dicussion
>>
Yeah, this is a very common trend. The reason people get music majors isn't because they love music, its because their parents told them to "DO WHAT YOU ARE PASSIONATE ABOUT!!!" They end up using their fake love of music as an excuse to not have to get a real degree. People just want to feel "artsy".
>>
>music majors

Try talking to some people who actually make money playing or writing music. That's usually a different case.

People who make money TEACHING music can have some of the best taste of anybody, but can also have terrible taste too. That one's a grab bag.
>>
>>70302261
you're describing true patricians though
I think the people who I don't know if I agree with what I just said, right? So why, I mean, this is easy to see.
>>
>>70302508
I've only ever seen this on /mu/ in relation to jazz
>>
>>70302516
lol I guess I never thought of it that way
>>
File: fs1477697282740.png (375KB, 785x757px)
fs1477697282740.png
375KB, 785x757px
>talk to music majors
>they're all either band geeks, jazz nerds, or those people who love acapella groups
The jazz guys are usually cool but the rest are insufferable
>>
>>70302261
>When I asked one of them why he liked a certain song, he just said "I dunno, I just do," and when I asked if he thought about the music theory behind it, he just said, "I don't really think about that stuff if it's not for school."
That literally is the true patrician way.
Only plebs care about having an image of listening to obscure music, and think that every song that you like needs to be dissected on a technical level to appear smart. Music is about feeling and emotion, listen to what you like, not whats cool, and only use theory when your stuck in a rut making your own music.
>>
>>70302261
are you seriously retarded enough to believe in the whole 'patrician/plebian' thing? Do you really think your taste is good or "patrician" just because you listen to something that is more obscure than someone else?
>it doesn't, it just makes you an insufferable hipster
>>
>>70302508
/comp/, /classical/, and jazzthreads

also: did you know you can just MAKE threads about things you want to discuss??? crazy right
>>
>>70302802

Anyone not stupid would agree that it's better to be more thoughtful about what they listen to and disregard superfluous stuff like popularity and hipness, and that knowledge of music theory would increase their understanding and connection to music, turning them into a patrician listener. But apparently that isn't the case and everyone should be praised for their ignorance.
>>
>>70302746
>>70302802
>how plebs try to justify their shit taste

"lol just eat what u wanna eat, if my favourite food is big macs that have been sitting underneath my carseat for 2 months, it just FEELS right so its fine!!!"
>>
>>70302261
>classical music
maybe they just didn't care for modern music?
>>
>>70302261
Dude music major types are plenty as shit
>>
>>70302522
yeah man my guitar teacher knew about a lot of the albums I brought up in conversation, was actually one of the only people I could talk to about music properly
>>
File: 1475162954849.jpg (110KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1475162954849.jpg
110KB, 633x758px
>>70302885
>Haha, look at those plebs having a good time! What a bunch of idiots!
pic related
>>
>>70302873
see
>>70302516

although I would like to add that sometimes its the case that they have natural talent or early music training and their parents either pushed them into music majors or they believe they can become famous performers

it doesn't take good taste to be able to sing or play violin like a pro, see: every flavor-of-the-week chinese kid who will 'blow your le mind' by playing lizst at the age of 6
>>
>>70302925
>Haha, look at those plebs having a good time! What a bunch of idiots!
yeah, exactly. its like watching a someone get spooked by his own shadow, nobody's denying you genuinely felt an emotion but you're still an idiot.
>>
>>70302516
music degrees are ridiculously difficult though, it's legitimately one of the hardest majors out there with some of the most work involved. Especailly performance, performance is fucking brutal.
>>
>>70302885
agreed, sorry main.. music is a very delicate thing thats easy to be fucked up, and if anybody thinks its "subjectively good", they're wrong
>>
It's like this for every major that exists.

There are people who study film who don't give a shit about Tarkovsky and Bergman and only care about shit like Star Wars.

There are people who study marine biology who don't give a fuck about menhaden or important baitfish and only care about cute sea turtles and dolphins.

There are people who study computer science who don't care about anything other than making money.

Just find the people who do care, even if it's only one or two people, and you will start to feel better about the world.
>>
>"Is it me who is wrong about music taste?
>"No it must be the people who actually dedicate all their energy to music, know how to perform, compose, and know theory"

I wonder if /mu/ will ever wake up to the reality that you fucks know nothing about music and circlejerk about pleb trash without realizing it's simplistic pleb trash.
>>
>>70302261
>Being surprised that the musical equivalent of weightlifters don't lift weights in their spare time
>>
>>70302652
Fuck acapella. Tasteless as fuck 99% of the time
>>
>>70303237
This is a pleb opinion, just so you know. It's fine to have, I just hope you don't pretend that your opinion means anything.
>>
>>70303277
You're retarded dude. Chorusfags are the biggest plebs on the planet.
>>
>>70303324
You couldn't compose a song right now if your life depended on it.
>>
I can't seem to figure it out either. I've known music majors who are in love with pop music. I can't help but want to hit them, really bro? Christ, I'm glad you're preparing to join your church band while working at Whole Foods. Learn them scales, so you can widdle out the most irrelevant phrasing of notes as quickly as possible, and make sure to nail jazz theory 2 since the real jazz musicians were learning from some white "PhD" (hint: jazz is dead unless you can be Amy Winehouse). Also, hopefully your Gregorian Chants 101 can work some spooky influence into your next prog album. This time I'd like to hear some "original" chord changes thank you very much (you might want to try some diminished sevenths).
>>
>>70303368
He might not be able to but he is right
>>
>>70303277
I think he means that acapella isn't necesarily inherently bad, its just usually "tasteless" as he says. Indeed, most of it is "muh harmonious chords, muh sweet vocals lmao" 90% of the time. I like boyz II men btw
>>
>>70302261
>>70302261
>>70302652

College jazz jam band guys are some of the chillest motherfuckers you can run into. I used to frequent a thursday jazz night at my college's local bookstore (used to be at an underground coffee shop until the location shut down due to how lowkey it was), dudes were so fucking chilled out. They played whatever they wanted and had the craziest range, would get cameos from the crazy talented jazz teachers that felt like jamming with randoms, called people up to lead the band, etc. It was a fucking enigma, especially since that all took place at the most normie fucking public university in America.

The instrumentalists that made up the band were known for being the most talented mofos of the department too. So fucking tight.
>>
>>70303173
projection
>>
>>70303368
Lmao, way to project. You don't even know me.
>>
>>70302873
>"dude it's only good music if they have less than 100 hits on their bandcamp page"
>"dude it's not good music if you can search for it on youtube"
>"bro I am a patrician, trust me I have rated over 1,000 albums on RYM..."
>"so what if my opinion coincides with pitchfork? they are patricians too!"
-You
>>70302885
I listen to shit you've never even DREAMED of buddy; you're the only basic-bitch here. You think you're a patrician when your music library is in .mp3 format? How can you claim to have good taste when you just borrowed opinions you read on scaruffi's page? You wear shoes you bought at the mall you drove to in your AUTOMATIC shitbox and you're trying to lecture _me_ on what it means to be a patrician?

Don't make me laugh buddy.
>>
>>70303173
also appeal to authority

moron, see
>>70303139

its like all the goddamn health and pharmacology majors who still believe that weed fries your brains and MDMA causes brain cancer and crazy shit like that
>>
>>70302929
implying lizt is bad
>>
>>70303495
wow this post is either satire or you have serious mental issues, lmao
>>
>>70302508
Often enough. In threads like "List your favorite album and why", the why often involves a pretty complex answer about how the artist conveys their emotions through their music. It kind of sucks that OP is surrounded by morons when most /mu/tants could easily describe why they like a song, but the people who have committed their lives to studying music can't.
>>
>>70303139
>There are people who study computer science who don't care about anything other than making money.
i hate to say this is me but its the one thing im good at that will get me a job
how 2 stop being a parasite and carve my own path as a creative
>>
>>70303591
you don't have to be creative in that field, people just expect all fine arts majors to be skillful master artists for some reason. I mean maybe they have promising careers writing those shitty annoying songs for commercials, or ringtones. half the people in my major (visual fine arts) want to do stupid shit like concept art illustration, drawing anime, video games texturing (no joke), etc...
>>
>>70303510
If you smoke weed regularly and you're under 25, it does fry your brain. You get slower.
>>
>>70303591
>how 2 stop being a parasite and carve my own path as a creative
step 1 you gotta stop typing like that brah

step 2 just go for it you'll do fine, don't be afraid of feeling passionate
>>
>>70303746
Slow as in stupid or as in you can't think as quickly? Is that why J Mascis talks like he's drowning in molasses?
>>
>>70303746
the brain is pretty malleable, I don't think intelligence is what people think it is

also, i used to smoke a bunch of week in early 20s now i don't
>>
it only has possible to create the discussion of music passion for the song with memory as it attached to the mind
can you say as much if you can't say anything about the world?
you need the understandings of yourself at first and then the understandings of your world at second before you can even have an understandings of a song at third
nobody of college, nobody of young can hope to speak about music
only with long times of study on all of life could you even say why you like a song such as welcome to the jungle
>>
>>70303801
He has a disorder where he doesn't produce some hormone. That's what I think is interesting about the dude, he uses his guitar to express himself in a way that he can't by just talking to people.
>>
>>70303801
You lower your IQ which means that you're worse at problem solving. Also, it hasn't been studied (or proven for that matter), but plenty of anecdotal evidence shows that heavy smokers have trouble recalling information well after they quit.

I still think that all drugs should be legal for everyone over 18. I just don't buy into the "weed can never harm you, it's medicine bro lol" meme.
>>
File: 1466003068372.jpg (14KB, 552x539px) Image search: [Google]
1466003068372.jpg
14KB, 552x539px
>>70303859
>>
>>70303906
music is a game only few can play
a dice roll as you will
a devil in the basket
songs are souls with sound inside then
a progress that gathers noises around us
the magic inside
>>
>>70302261
no shit, same with lit majors

a lot of them are just kids who've been given the freedom to burn their parents' money on pretending to look like artists
>>
>>70303551
Makes you wonder if the people talking about the artist's emotions are being for real or just want to sound deep
>>
>>70303746
no it doesn't, fucking retard. the most damaging effect weed has on your brain is reduced short-term memory which only occurs irreversibly if you smoked all the time as a teenager. it has little if any negative cognitive effects on adults.
>>
>>70303859
this made me laugh
>>
>>70303973
I'm just saying that it's a lot better to say something like:
>I really like When You Sleep from Loveless because it mixes pop music with a lot of feedback in a way that's never been done before
Than
>i dunno i just like the song

There can be an ongoing discussion about music, and I think it's important because you might sway someone to listen to a song differently and change their opinion of it.
>>70304001
Isn't that what I said? Studies show that weed is harmful to the mental faculties of people under 25. Maybe you smoked a bit too much when you were a kid if you couldn't follow that.
>>
>>70303878
sure it can't harm you but my memory surpasses most (quit smoking a few years back)
the brain is a muscle so if you don't ever try to retain anything you might as well be a vegetable anyway
>>
>>70302261
It was a meme all along and you fell for it desu
>>
>>70303954
God I hate those fucking English majors who think Neil Gaiman is the best writer of all time.
>>
>>70304076
>Isn't that what I said? Studies show that weed is harmful to the mental faculties of people under 25. Maybe you smoked a bit too much when you were a kid if you couldn't follow that.
...are you really this retarded or do you just reply to posts without reading them?
>>
>>70303495
>I listen to shit you've never even DREAMED of buddy; you're the only basic-bitch here. You think you're a patrician when your music library is in .mp3 format? How can you claim to have good taste when you just borrowed opinions you read on scaruffi's page? You wear shoes you bought at the mall you drove to in your AUTOMATIC shitbox and you're trying to lecture _me_ on what it means to be a patrician?
>Don't make me laugh buddy.

pasta has potential
>>
There are generally two types of music majors

1. Highschool band losers who weren't good at anything else so they picked music

2. People who been playing music since teens/childhood and wanted to study it to take their playing to the next level
>>
>>70303454
sounds sick, what university was it anon?
>>
>>70306151
This is not rare at all, I'd imagine it happens at every big university. Here at Virginia Tech we have the exact same thing at a hookah bar
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.