[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

these guys are alright, but nowhere near as inventive and extraordinary

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: radiohead.jpg (86KB, 980x551px) Image search: [Google]
radiohead.jpg
86KB, 980x551px
these guys are alright, but nowhere near as inventive and extraordinary as critics and people make them out to be. so why did everyone focus on them so much? why all the hype?
>>
becuz thy gud
>>
>>70288802
idk I find it fascinating that five people can remain a functioning band for so long and make consistently good music.
>>
They're a brilliant access point to music forms more challenging to someone who might never have listened to music not centred around the rock format before. You're more likely to listen to Kid A than Selected Ambient Works if your favourite album is The Bends, simply because its made by your favourite band
>>
>>70288802
-they brought a lot of relatively obscure influences into the mainstream consciousness and made them palpable
-in particular they transferred these influences into good POP songs. pop songwriting is an often unfairly dismissed talent which is odd considering how much /mu/core relies on it
-they underwent a radical stylistic change and continued to make good music

i think it's very easy to sit there and dismiss them when you're into music and you can download can's discog for free in 5 minutes and then go 'HAHA LE PLAGIARISM' but that's a pretty facile statement. anyone with a bit of brains about them should be able to see why they're so beloved, even if you don't fully appreciate them yourself (and i have to say In Rainbows is the only post-Kid A album that I REALLY like, but i still understand the hype even if I'm not fully invested)
>>
>>70288892
re: pop songwriting being dismissed
teenage insecurity, wanting to look superior for liking obscure crap
>>
>>70288892
i'm not dismissing them don't get too abrasive about it damn, jesus fuck
i already knew of aphex twin and other warp artists before them before discogs, and zappa already had plenty of avant garde influences AND he himself was experiment while still being fairly popular

I love pop songwriting, but critics called them inventive and innovatie WHEN critics are supposed to know more musical history than the average joe

I swear you can't try to have to have a talk about artists without people getting defensive like maniacs this is getting tiring
>>
>>70288958
>pop not being dismissed
Pop is an inferior form of music.
I don't try to "seem" superior, I am.
>>
>>70288984
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKJ2CeVEzPo
>>
>>70288976
only weird dads like zappa
>>
>>70289288
nah
>>
>>70289288
lol
>>
the way i see it, radiohead took pop rock music to its apex with ok comp for which they have popular acclaim, and then took it in the next logical direction by pushing into experimental territory thereby alienating themselves greatly. even though they lost a lot of fans because of kid a they continued to experiment and push boundaries all while remaining publicly relevant and i think that contributes to why they're so beloved critically.

also they make good music
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.