[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

But what has crept in is that everyone’s a commentator now.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 8

File: 1482948576867.jpg (90KB, 428x403px) Image search: [Google]
1482948576867.jpg
90KB, 428x403px
But what has crept in is that everyone’s a commentator now. The Internet is giving voice to everybody thinking that someone gives a shit what they have to say and they have the right. I think, in general, that has created a toxic environment for artists and led to some very safe music. Artists are trying to make music to please the tastemakers that tell the sheep what to like. It’s a vicious cycle and I think it’s unhealthy. I don’t see any Princes emerging on the scene today. I see a lot of people making formulaic, made to please, vegan restaurant patron-type shit. And I think it creates an environment where people are too fuckin’ worried about what other people have to say. And people who have never made anything think it’s OK to talk shit about stuff they have no right to talk about. You got a Facebook account? Nobody gives a fuck. You haven’t achieved anything.
_ Trent on recent interview

Is he right?
>>
I get his point but the backlash to this exact phenomena has created some really interesting stuff too
>>
I think this just high lights Trent‘s still existing insecurity more than anything else. He may say he doesn't care but this shows that he still pays too much attention to it.
>>
>>70288459
I think druing Hesitation Marks he says that he refuses to pay any attention to any reviews, but then he got really kind of mad and probably sad over people's first perception of "Everything", he even commented upon fan-made videos, saying he turned it off as quickl as he could

I think he was reffering to this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaWe_4AaH8Y

Or this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy8OvqzRL9k
>>
>>70289893
Never saw these before and they're funny as fuck. But it's something he should expect since it's his happier song ever.
>>
>>70290156
He was dissapointed since people didn't get the point, it's actually not a happy song. The choruses are really heavy

>All the walls begin to dissolve away
>Feel your hands begin to shake
>And just who you think you used to be
>All begins to bend and break

>But this thing that lives inside of me
>Will surely rise and wake
>And his seed that bleeds right through to me
>As it comes to grab and take

He still should have expected it, here's his reaction, to people's reaction to it.

>To me, 'Everything' is a descendant of Fear and Joy Division and New Order. Somehow, that song has become representative of this as my 'happy album,' although I don't hear it as such.”

>“It's certainly not meant to make you feel like, 'Look at how great everything is!' But it seems to be the shocking moment of the record. We've not played it onstage, only in rehearsals. It's become an irritant to me.”

>Yeah, I meant that song to feel kind of absurd. You know, it's an arrogant, bold statement that might appear defiant but is actually, in my opinion, kind of self-destructive. And by the end of the song, when it doesn't resolve as nice and rosy with me running through a field of dandelions, clouds come over and there's a sense of getting what you asked for.

And his reaction to the video itself

.I saw about the first five seconds of it, and it lessened my faith that I am reaching an audience that is open-minded enough to understand what I'm trying to do. That's what I thought off the bat. And then I thought, "I really don't care what you think." We wouldn't be sitting here doing an interview, because my career would have been over 24 years ago, if I'd have listened to what I think people want to hear from me. [But] this is just my off-the-cuff thesis here. I'm sure it's riddled with holes that I'll be reminded of on the Internet any minute now.
>>
>>70288358
yeah, but he missed the part where all the uncreative autists quarantine themselves on shitholes like /mu/ so it doesn't really matter
>>
>>70290318
Link to interview where Trent confesses his reaction to Everything so people don't think I'm just pulling stuff out of my ass.

http://www.npr.org/2013/09/04/218961237/trent-reznor-im-not-the-same-person-i-was-20-years-ago
>>
>>70290156
Adrift And At Peace is his happiest song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxq37RukKaA
>>
>>70288358
the majority of people will always listen to music that caters to them. and the majority of artists will always create music to cater to them. that is how popular music is
>>
what happened to his neck?
>>
>>70289893
he got meme'd on and he can't handle it.
>>
>>70290524
I think it is due to people missing the point, for example, he posted this on his official website declaring it as an official clip of this song before taking it down for whatever reason, but he probably enjoyed it either way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1ZMKfFHU3U
>>
>>70290474

It was during his post-neck NIN phase.
>>
>>70290545
I get that, I personally love Everything and hate how people dismiss that song. I can see why it's frustrating for him, but it's just a funny video.
>>
>>70290318
I don't mean the lyrics, it's obviously not a happy lyric, but the pacing still happy as fuck.
>>
>>70290545
I love this song and i will always defend it
>>
>>70290674
I agree, the videos are funny, I think that as time goes on people are warming up to Everything and to Hesitation Marks overall, Trent should alreadly know that when he goes to a different direction with an album it will take a good while for people to see that it's actually really good. The Fragile at first wasn't all that liked either.
>>70291117
The chorus when heavy guitr kicks in is totally the opposite of that, imho.
>>
File: 1484168701302.jpg (141KB, 634x902px) Image search: [Google]
1484168701302.jpg
141KB, 634x902px
More like nine inch gut lmfao
>>
>>70291209
That's probably between 2010-2013, he has 4 kids now
>>
>>70291209
i want to suck his dick tbqh
>>
>>70291209
more like nine inches tall lmfao
>>
>>70291209
>>70291496
He has lost the weight since then,Trent's apperance went through a lot of reformations, he used to looks anorexic as fuck, then he got that weird ass pedo mustache.
>>
File: 1481573161476.png (896KB, 796x800px) Image search: [Google]
1481573161476.png
896KB, 796x800px
>>70291496
>>
>>70288358
>Artists are trying to make music to please the tastemakers that tell the sheep what to like

that's always been true though. if anything its better now because people can get famous through the internet and not have to worry about pleasing a record label.
>>
File: Fragile era Reznor.jpg (172KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
Fragile era Reznor.jpg
172KB, 640x640px
HNNNG
>>
>toxic
I'm so sick of seeing this fucking word
>>
B A S E D

>>70293477
who that slut?
>>
>>70288358
>5' 7" manlet spends his entire life being angry about being a 5' 7" manlet

lol when will they ever learn
>>
File: 1482544969672.jpg (103KB, 765x715px) Image search: [Google]
1482544969672.jpg
103KB, 765x715px
>Not The Actual Events as Broken
>the next LP as TDS
>>
>>70293616
it's not going to be like that at all
>>
>>70288358
>think it's OK to talk shit about stuff they have no right to talk about
That just comes off as stupidly arrogant. Nobody can critique his music unless he says so? Fans can voice whatever opinions they fucking want to. Whether you listen to them or ignore them is entirely up to you.
>>
>>70293369
>people can get famous through the internet and not have to worry about pleasing a record label

Please name some of these "famous" musicians who don't have to worry about "pleasing a record label" so I can laugh at you.
>>
File: snape.jpg (19KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
snape.jpg
19KB, 640x480px
>>70292451
*blocks your path*
*casts spell*
>>
>>70293729
Trent Reznor
>>
>>70293729
trent reznor
>>
>>70293761
>>70293767
Damn...
>>
>if anything its better now because people can get famous through the internet
>>70293761
>>70293767
>>70293773
>Trent Reznor got famous through the internet
lol

Try again, dummies.
>>
>>70293807
I mean, recently, yes.

The Slip, Ghosts, Not The Actual Events. The best way to get these albums is by through internet.

>>70293667
I think Trent may have been talking about normies who's taste in music is very "closed" and attack anything that does not fit their comfort zone, at least that's what I think he meant. If he meant it any other way he is being kinda retarded.
>>
>>70293740
fu
>>
>>70293477
whats going on in thid photo:?
>>
>>70293903
Trent Reznor making out with some chick.Getting closer to god.
>>
>>70293807
you asked for famous musicians who don't have to worry about pleasing a record label, not musicians who got famous through the internet.

as for the latter, there are a bunch of rap artist and also vaporwave producers.
>>
>>70293918
also Filthy Frank is pretty popular, right?
>>
>>70293729
Soulja Boy
>>
It's like he has been on /mu/ and he hates you trendy fuckers! Ha!
>>
>>70293882
>>Trent Reznor got famous through the internet
>I mean, recently, yes.
Nope. Try again though, dummy.
>>70293918
>musicians who got famous through the internet who don't have to worry about pleasing a record label
No, this is exactly what I asked for. You just can't name any. But please feel free to name all these famous rap artist and vaporwave producers (lmao!) who got famous through the internet and don't have to worry about pleasing a record company.
>>
>>70293996
he actually may have posted here, i'm sure someone has the screencap
>>
>>70288393
like what
>>
>>70294008
I don't know how Trent could even fit the bill seeing how long he has been doing his thing. You literally asked for this, let me copy paste you.

>Please name some of these "famous" musicians who don't have to worry about "pleasing a record label" so I can laugh at you.

So, perhaps you should just learn to express yourself better you autist.
>>
NIN were barely big. Sure they played huge gigs like woodstock 94 and had a few hit songs but no one really cared about them outside certain circles. Back then, they were a divebar band compared to truly important bands like Radiohead. Also Trent made more of a living doing chores for other bands than NIN. He's only doing this to cash in on the nostalgia market for aging mallgoths. Sad!
>>
>>70294008
Pink Guy
Most if not all vaporwave producers
>>
>>70294118
nice pasta
>>
>>70294135
Not an argument
>>
>>70293729
Joey Badass, Chance the Rapper, Odd Future, Mac Demarco

It's ok if you don't like them, but I don't think they would be as well known without the internet
>>
>>70294118
>Also Trent made more of a living doing chores for other bands than NIN.
Source.

>>70294118
> He's only doing this to cash in on the nostalgia market for aging mallgoths.

If that were the case he wouldn't take so much risks with NIN, we would never see stuff like Ghosts or "Year Zero" come to be, he hasn't made a samilliar album, ever. Each of his albums are different, perhaps Trent is a true artist who enjoys making music.
>>
>>70293995
>Soulja Boy
>By the end of May 2007, "Crank That (Soulja Boy)" had received its first airplay after Way met with Mr. Collipark to sign a deal with Interscope Records
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soulja_Boy
Sorry, try again.
>>70294096
The quotes around famous imply incredulity at the claim being made, anyone with even the slightest ability to read would have understood that. Stay stupid though.
>>70294130
>Pink Guy
>famous
lol
>>70294151
So none of those artists are signed to record label they "have to please"? Think before you post next time please.
>>
>>70294118
pretty triggered by this pasta desu
>>
File: 81cpVFGmRfL._SL1437_-11-640x640.jpg (111KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
81cpVFGmRfL._SL1437_-11-640x640.jpg
111KB, 640x640px
NIN never made an album as good or influential as Kid A
>>
>>70294296
this is so true
>>
>>70294296
this is so false
>>
>>70294253
Not a major label, no. Most of them got quite famous while on indie labels, or even on their own labels (Odd Future)

I think Joey Badass had several million hits on his mixtape and played the Tonight Show before he got signed.
>>
>>70294296
>no one got triggered by my pasta better keep posting

Sad!
>>
File: 4HgSpk3.jpg (230KB, 598x792px) Image search: [Google]
4HgSpk3.jpg
230KB, 598x792px
>>70294343
>>
>>70294341
this autist keeps moving the goalposts, just stop replying to him
>>
>>70294341
>Not a major label
>moving the goalposts
lol, nice try though.
>>
>>70294365
>if anything its better now because people can get famous through the internet and not have to worry about pleasing a record label >>70293369
>Please name some of these "famous" musicians who don't have to worry about "pleasing a record label" so I can laugh at you >>70293729

No, I haven't. You just can't back up the claim you made. Simple as that.
>>
>>70294383
Well I figured that was understood. Indie labels aren't really restrictive as far as creative control goes. And like I said, Odd Future, Joey Badass, and Chance all had millions of hits and major appearances before being signed.

I don't really care about it, I just haven't really heard a great argument to the contrary yet. So your position is that the internet doesn't help people get famous?

I just think things are better now than they were in say the late 90s, early 2000s, before the internet was very useful for finding new music. Trent Reznor feels the opposite. What's your argument in favor of Trent Reznor's opinion?
>>
>>70294452
i'm not the dude you're arguing with
>>
>>70288358
in my world, this man is nobody.
>>
>>70294471
so you listen to indie pop and memerap then?
>>
>>70294468
>So your position is that the internet doesn't help people get famous?
Again: nice try. It's pretty simple what I'm asking for: See >>70294452
>if anything its better now because people can get famous through the internet and not have to worry about pleasing a record label >>70293369
>Please name some of these "famous" musicians who don't have to worry about "pleasing a record label" so I can laugh at you >>70293729
>>70294470
Sure, whatever you say.
>>
>>70294539
Again, Joey Badass, Chance the Rapper, Odd Future. Trust me man, I've been following these peoples' careers from the start. They all became famous before they were signed.

All I'm saying is that I think it's easier to be an "outside the box" artist now, because you can get exposure and plays for free on the internet.
>>
>>70294592
So none of these people are signed to a record label have to worry about pleasing? Like I said, nice try.
>>
>>70288358
in short order, nobody will believe anything on the internet (broadly speaking) anyway

the tower of babel will fall, just as it always does

so chin up, trint, you won't have to read people calling out your recent, tepid releases as the borefests that they are for much longer
>>
guys I can't unhear Liturgy's Generation in The Idea of You
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMp524f8rso&t=835s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm6j1TGWfQo
>>
>>70294790
Besides, no one listens to people at Facebook of all things, probably the main thing that triggered him.
>>
>>70288358
Is he talking about our soundcloud threads?
>>
>>70294842
Probably just Facebook.
>>
Sounds like butthurt. I mean you shouldnt give a shit either way. Music had to cater to plebs even more before the internet gave artists a platform where they could leave out the middleman. Also tront is not as great as hes hyped up to be and its weird how 90's sounding industrial is this popular in 2017
>>
>>70296985
>Also tront is not as great as hes hyped up to be and its weird how 90's sounding industrial is this popular in 2017

I think The Downward Spiral and The Fragile aged really well and deserve all the praise they get.

Trent is known for being butt hurt though, it is his thing.
>>
>>70288358
Every single point of that statement is objectively right.
>>
>>70289893
I'm not Trent but it's a definitely a gay fucking reaction to that song.
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.