[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is comparing the "quality" of music a myth or a fallacy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

Is comparing the "quality" of music a myth or a fallacy? Maybe I'm either a non-discerning listener, or am good at anticipating the music I like- but I hear so much great music, that I don't think it makes any sense to assign anything a value to represent its quality. An unimaginable amount of music is a 10/10, to the point of that concept meaning nothing. And it really just depends on your mood and perspective, whether something sounds good or not.

Anyone feel this?
>>
>>70285476
A good rating system should lend itself to being comparable without being quantifiable. A potential solve is assigning ratings of several orders of magnitude i.e. this gary wilson album scores 6.4-6400 but this other one scores 4.6-4600
>>
i have synesthesia so I rate albums by color hexcodes
>>
I just rate music based on how I liked it. I don't see why people over think ratings so god damn much.
>>
>>70285554
I feel like if I rated music, the problem would be half the stuff I listened to would get the highest rating, unless I split up the rating based on something extramusical and arbitrary like how much the album had become canon to me over the years. I guess I expressed myself badly in the OP now that I think of it; the problem's that music presents itself so inordinately good to me /and/ that there's not much variation in how good, assuming its good. Like music maxes out for me

I see you with that Gary Wilson score too
>>
>>70285642
Because if they mean nothing they're pointless?
>>
>>70285668
They are pointless to anyone but yourself, what's wrong with that? Since when is giving imaginary ratings to albums not pointless?
>>
>>70285689
Of course, but they /should/ have a point to yourself, and if the ratings aren't taken seriously, do they have a point to yourself?
>>
>>70285476
damn jeff gerstmann lost some weight
>>
>>70285711
I use ratings to categorize what I think of an album, as I listen to many. They are not even close to objective and I don't even try to pretend they are. Basically higher rating means I liked it more.
>>
>>70285476
>I don't think it makes any sense to assign anything a value to represent its quality
Anon, who's point the gun to your head and making you?
>>
>>70285554
Damn. I should do that.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.