[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sorry if this a dumb question, but how much popping and cracking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: download.jpg (5KB, 228x221px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5KB, 228x221px
Sorry if this a dumb question, but how much popping and cracking is an acceptable amount in a record?I've been playing some and there seems to be a intermittent popping in a lot of them. I've gotten a LP120, which I know isn't the best, and if so I'll purchase a higher end model if I can just get the popping to dull.

I'm finding that older records are less likely to make the popping noise, so I imagine this could just be an issue with the way they are pressed now, but I would just like to ask.

Also, if you had any replacement tables to suggest that would be nice. I know Technics 1200 is highly recommended, nut any others would be well kept as well.
>>
honestly i dont understand why people buy vinyls desu
>>
>>70279870
Honestly if the popping and cracking bugs you that much I'd suggest just getting CDs instead. I know autists will tell you that records are better because they "sound warm" but that's just a lack of audio channels so everything sounds closer to mono. Some miiight sound better, but only with extensive autistic cleaning with water and a large cleaning set. Back in the day they were cool because they were the only audio playback format around, nowadays they're really just the autist's outdated format of choice because they're hipsters. CDs sound better, are all around easier to store places, mobile and are harder to break. Records look nicer.
t. Record and CD collector, currently got around 150 records and the same amount of CDs
>>
do you dust off your records before each play?
>>
>>70280004
/thread
>>
>>70280004
>collector
>150 records

lmao
>>
>>70280399
ive been doing it for like a year mate please no bully
>>
It doesn't annoy me, I just didn't want it to be something that was because of my Turntable or if the record has damage. If it's just because that's something that occurs on records, then I am perfectly fine with that.

I do enjoy the idea of having an analog form of entertainment whilst trying to help local businesses as well. I'll take the pretentiousness that comes with that.
>>
>>70280459
lmao
>>
>>70280649
lmao
>>
>>70279870
>but how much popping and cracking is an acceptable amount in a record?

Comes down to personal preference/tolerance.

My personal preference is surface noise and pops should be inaudible during louder sections and relatively quiet to even inaudible during softer sections.

>>70279884
>>70280004

Detractors still seem to not get the point of LPs, and the reasons go beyond the subjective.

- Still a shit ton of music not available in other formats.

- The best masters of [insert record here] are still on LP, from MFSL recordings to Japanese pressings and the like. Yes, it's expensive, but in many cases is still a cheaper option than the SACD or MFSL (on CD) remaster.

- Can sound "better" (even though less accurate on paper). Vinyl has a natural treble roll off due to its dynamic range limitations compared to CD. This means you can crank the volume to engage with all that midrange and midbass goodness (snare drums, cello, acoustic guitar, detuned guitar, etc) without getting your ears shredded by higher frequencies. I've also found that LPs have a larger soundstage.

>Mr Patrick Wallace points out that vinyl signals always come with a background of low-frequency noise due to pressing limitations & so on, and that some of this is vertical with respect to the stylus, and therefore appears out of phase and cannot be localised by the ears. He says it therefore is interpreted as 'surround sound' ambience on the recording.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/284561-hypothesis-why-some-prefer-vinyl-douglas-self.html
>>
>>70280648
buy a record cleaning kit and a record brush

if you are invested enough in collecting records then look into a record cleaning machine (the vacuum ones) but they are VERY expensive

thoroughly clean all of your records now, and then once every 12 months or so depending on use

use the record brush every time you play the record, both before and after
>>
File: 1472922197619.jpg (32KB, 400x439px) Image search: [Google]
1472922197619.jpg
32KB, 400x439px
>>70279870

CLEAN YOUR RECORDS, YOU FUCKING HAM-BEAST!

GHAWD.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.