[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

To a lot of people, heavy metal is today's real rock-and-roll--the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: 640px-Robert_Christgau_08.jpg (20KB, 640x425px) Image search: [Google]
640px-Robert_Christgau_08.jpg
20KB, 640x425px
To a lot of people, heavy metal is today's real rock-and-roll--the music of the people. It's basic, it's rude, kids love it, parents hate it. But a closer look reveals how stupid and delusory it is. Metal isn't basic, it cultivates a pseudo-virtuosity that negates content. The dreams it promulgates are foolish and often destructive. Eighty percent of the "people" who like it are male and 98 percent of them are white.
>>
Tfw my black gf listens to more metal than I do..
>>
>>70264481
>Eighty percent are male

this is honestly a low estimate, it must be at least 95

it's also a totally glib, meaningless non-point but hey ho
>>
>>70264481
>It's basic
>But a closer look reveals how stupid and delusory it is.
>Metal isn't basic
>it cultivates a pseudo-virtuosity
>pseudo-virtuosity (so non-virtuosity i.e basic)
>that negates content (i.e. basic)
>le fucking white males

This guy is genuinely retarded. A pompous pseudo-intellectual thinks he's a literary genius because he tells teenagers what pop music to buy. lmao, what a fucking failure.
>>
>>70264481
There's nothing pseudo virtuoustic about metal, a lot of metal players can play. The problem with the virtuosos in metal is they carve out a niche, than a ton of other metal players carve out the same niche, and it's a narrow space devoid of creativity that's extremely crowded.

Compare this to Fripp for example who can play legato/staccato competently as well as ambient guitar, and occupies his musical space basically alone.
>>
Christgau is irrelevant, also he doesn't know jackshit about metal.
>>
>>70264481
He didn't say it.
>>
>>70265517
Say what.
>>
"Devotees of American culture have been battling the forces of the genteel since Melville, and though I can enjoy such art-lovers as Judy Collins and Jon Anderson once in a very great while, the bulk of their music has been fatuous and the entirety of their influence pernicious. Less annoying but even more dangerous are the exploiters who, instead of illuminating the unique vantage of kids (and others) untrammeled by education and big ideas, cater to everything lazy, cowardly, and brutal in the rock audience. For all its grandiose symphonic tendencies, heavy metal is a real rock and roll style, but with very few exceptions its content is egoistic at best and nihilistic at worst. And the cheap compassion and covert self-love of legions of nostalgia mongers and pop-rock hitmakers have turned AM radio into the refuge from intelligence that fools have always believed it to be."
>>
>>70265513
>Christgau is irrelevant
isn't he in his 70s and mostly retired now?
>>
>>70265782
yeah why
>>
Dude's a dinosaur, man. His shitty little punk movement and its politics played themselves out a long, long time ago.
>>
>>70264481
Can you stop? Please? If you really want to know how much credibility he has as a music critic, look no further:
https://www.robertchristgau.com/get_artist.php?name=Nicki+Minaj
https://www.robertchristgau.com/get_artist.php?name=Soulja+Boy+
>>
Q: I find it interesting to see how you arrive at conclusions about certain genres of music. For example, you openly dislike heavy metal. Why is that?
A: Because it's symphonic bombast without the skill or technical complexity of classical music, although there is a lot of virtuosity. I can say this--I'm 72. This isn't the time for me to start liking loud guitar solos. That music is so masculine in a retrograde way. I don't like it. It's a very 19th century idea of power.
>>
File: AmericanSplendor09-1-24.jpg (1MB, 1400x1850px) Image search: [Google]
AmericanSplendor09-1-24.jpg
1MB, 1400x1850px
Really makes you think...
>>
>>70264481

This was true in 90s. Not anymore though.
>>
>>70264481
>Eighty percent of the "people" who like it are male and 98 percent of them are white.
what's the point of this sentence outside of publicly admitting that you're part of the white guilt
>>
>>70266114
>I can say this--I'm 72. This isn't the time for me to start liking loud guitar solos

This is scientifically true though, older people have lower tolerance for noise because your bones thin with age and loud music tends to induce unpleasant vibrations.

https://www.ohio.edu/news/months/nov1998/111.html
>>
>>70266207
>Although physiological changes affect people's hearing as they age, emotion also plays a role in auditory perception, he said. In previous studies, Fucci has found that if people dislike a certain type of music, they're naturally going to perceive it as being uncomfortably loud.

Yeah...that. Since Christgau doesn't like metal, he probably imagines it as being louder than it is.
>>
>>70266207
I'm in my 20s and I think stuff like nu metal is unpleasant to listen to because they brickwalled that shit to death. Brickwalling was a huge fucking mistake the industry made.
>>
>>70266055
Can anyone explain his rating system to me?
>>
>>70266488
I don't particularly care to. My point is that no one should take his reviews seriously.
>>
>>70266488
Here's a few of them explained.

"An A+ indicates a rare album that brings exceptional joy and repeat listenings to someone who has 30 other albums to listen to that day."

"A Choice Cuts review indicates a mostly poor quality album, but which has 1 or 2 songs that interested me purely for humorous or kitsch reasons, or because they make for an interesting sociological statement."

"A dud rating indicates an album I found to be tedious, disappointing, boring, or outright offensive."

"On average, I listen to an album five times to let it completely sink in, and I avoid the temptation to play one track that I particularly enjoy on repeat, as some rock critics I know are prone to do. Although I grew up in the 50s-60s when popular music was centered around the 3 minute 45 single, most music since 1965 is based around the LP album format, and I've found that this happens to suit my listening habits well. In practice, all albums have at least one dud song on them, so it's to be expected and worked around."
>>
File: kyuss.jpg (654KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
kyuss.jpg
654KB, 1000x1000px
>>70264481
True Rock music still lives in fuzzed out riffs and basslines of Stoner Rock.
Fact.
>>
>>70266651
Bit more.

"In practice, I've tried to review every rock album I consider worth listening to. If it's not listed in the Consumer Guide, you should probably avoid it. I've skipped over a lot of mediocre mid-career albums from artists, as well as a lot of later career ones when an artist is in decline, the perennial sad story of the rock-and-roller being the romantic who peaked early on and experiences a gradual downward spiral. Some artists I respect got in my 'Subjects For Further Research' list, and ones I don't respect in the 'Distinctions Not Cost Effective' and 'Meltdown' lists."
>>
>>70265479
>failure
Kek, say that when your a famous critic
>>
>>70266289
>I think stuff like nu metal is unpleasant to listen to
Anon, you don't need to say more than that
anyone with any taste whatsoever will tell you that Nu metal sucks ass.
>>
bump for mealfag butthurt
>>
I just went and listened to Ride The Lightning as a fuck you to this guy.
>>
File: GjtPAwN.jpg (58KB, 501x900px) Image search: [Google]
GjtPAwN.jpg
58KB, 501x900px
>>70264481
>WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU
>>
>>70264481
>Eighty percent of the "people" who like it are male and 98 percent of them are white.
And none of them are nu-males seeking validation from strangers.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.