[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: cold hard facts >Neil Young is a better lyricist than

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: young.jpg (40KB, 700x394px) Image search: [Google]
young.jpg
40KB, 700x394px
ITT: cold hard facts

>Neil Young is a better lyricist than Dylan, and a better tunesmith as well
>>
Yep
>>
Dylan is cooler than Neil young
>>
>>70253575
how so?
>>
>>70252750

This. And a way better performer.

I was at Desert Trip. On Friday night Bob Dylan sounded like a fucking banshee. I love Dylan but he's lost it. He stood at the piano almost all night and it didn't even look like he was actually playing.

Neil Young on the other handed sounded great and fucking nailed it at piano and guitar. Harvest and Harvest Moon are GOAT too.

Also: George was the best songwriter in the Beatles.
>>
>>70253688
His modern re-arrangements of his songs aren't that good either.

There's a story about Ringo attending one of Dylan's concerts:

Dylan realizes that Ringo is in the audience and orders a spotlight to be shone on him. He then starts saying ''Ringo, Ringo'' over and over again in that nasally voice of his. Eventually everyone realizes what's going on they look at Ringo. Dylan then asks if Ringo has any requests, any songs that he hasn't played yet that Ringo'd like to hear. Ringo asks him to play Like A Rolling Stone, to which Dylan says, ''I just did!''
>>
>>70253586
his coolness mostly
>>
>>70253760

Exactly. None of the songs are recognizable unless you can understand what the fuck he's saying. The only songs he played at Desert Trip that I recognized by the music alone were Ballad of a Thin Man and Like a Rolling Stone. The seats were basically empty while he was on too. The place filled up as soon as the Stones went on. Comparably, there was a totally different atmosphere in the crowd when Neil Young started. And Promise of the Real was a stunning backing band for him.
>>
>>70253802
Young is cooler, no contest.
>>
>>70253586
The coolness of electric Dylan is unmatched
>>
>>70252750
They're not comparable.
>>
Neil is great, doesn't get enough love on /mu/. It's dumb to compare him to Dylan though but he's good in his own right.
>>
File: 1454837542187.jpg (67KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1454837542187.jpg
67KB, 600x450px
>>70252750
>tunesmith
>>
>>70253821
Dylan's always seemed really distant and inscrutable, like he's more of an idea than a real personality (if that makes sense), and I think that carries over to his live performances. Whereas with Young there's a stronger, more tangible personality there.
>>
Who was the better guitar player, Stills or Young?
>>
>>70253575
Dylan was cooler in the 60's no contest, but Neil reached his coolness factor later in life when he pretty much created Grunge.
>>
Childhood is thinking Dylan is the best
Adulthood is realizing Young is the real poet laureate of rock and folk music
>>
>>70253978

He puts on an odd performance. The backing screens didn't really show the band members and his back was always to the cameras and there was all sorts of strange imagery going on. Didn't talk between songs either, the lights would just dim after a song and the next one would start. I found it really interesting but it was largely misunderstood.
>>
>>70254247
I've only seen him once, when I was too young to really know who he was, and I remember it being very similar. He was behind a keyboard with his back almost facing the audience and he never said a word between songs.
>>
>>70254003
Not really that familar with what songs Stills played guitar on in Buffallo and CSNY. But Neil is definitely more respected as a guitar player.
>>
I like Neil because he has such a wide variety of styles. Acoustic Folk, Hard Rock, Electronic, Grunge, Noise, Jazz/Blues. He's done everything.
>>
>>70254339
They had that interlocking guitar thing going on, where sometimes (especially on the BS records) it was difficult to tell who was playing which parts. But generally, Neil played the more flashy solo stuff, while Stills did the more subtle fingerpicking chord stuff, though he's actually a much more technically proficient player. He has a real touch on the acoustic, both Hendrix and Clapton were fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU2NBuYIPho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUmIO_MG5IU
>>
Love Neil, he is so good live too. Saw him with the Promise of the Real last year, played a bunch of hits as well as an obscure one from Neil's debut solo album. 10/10
>>
>>70252750
No
>>
>>70254339
Neil's killing it in For What It's Worth, totally makes that song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp5JCrSXkJY
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.