[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

when did you outgrow /mu/ memes and start listening to music

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: file.png (864KB, 630x737px)
file.png
864KB, 630x737px
when did you outgrow /mu/ memes and start listening to music properly?

for me it happened about 3 years ago when i was 16, i started listening to a lot of early tape music and musique concrete. from then on i never touched /mu/core artists again
>>
+ talking heads, tvu, king crimson, sufjan

the rest is overrated
>>
>>70251624
I guess you could say there are three phases after discovering /mu/

1) wonder - you discover all this new music, listen to all the /mu/core and think it's amazing

2) contrarianism - you find out that liking these albums makes you a newfag, so you try to distantiate yourself from them; most often, this goes hand in hand with starting to like "obscure" artists

3) adulthood - you realise that in both of the above phases, your taste was completely determined by what other people thought, and you now understand that the only thing that matters is if YOU enjoy it

It's okay anon, not everyone reaches phase 3 at an early age
>>
>>70251760
It took a while for me to admit to myself that I didn't like Swans that much. A couple songs are good though.
>>
>>70251760
basically this
i'm at phase 3 right now and it's pretty fun just loving music
>>
>>70252167
you probably read pitchfork but think you're at phase 3
>>
>>70252237
What's the point of reading reviews though? I'd much rather listen to the album or at least the first few songs myself. That's enough to know if I might like it or not.
>>
>>70252237
I do read p4k actually, The Quietus as well
It's nice for discovering new music, even though I may not agree with their assessment of it
>>
>>70251760
this
>>
>>70252237
how can i think that i'm at phase 3?
if i listen to music that i enjoy, thats it
there's no other criteria
>>
>>70251760
Am I at stage 3 if I listen to anime ops unironically?
>>
>>70251760
is this a joke or are/were some of you fags seriously not at stage 3 at a default?
>>
>>70251624
I did the same thing for a while but realized I was just stroking my ego
>>
>>70252301
>>70252398
>i """discover""" music by looking at what pitchfork, inc has recently published on their site in exchange for payment from the label
>>
>>70251760
If you're not at stage 3 by the age of 20 you should consider the rope
>>
>>70252447
Probably
>>
>>70252459
>I don't buy food that has ever been advertised
You can't avoid the fact that the music industry is an industry anon, however if you really are aware of what you've just stated, you should be able to read p4k and other publications in a critical way, extrapolating information that is beneficial for yourself while ignoring blatant advertisement
>>
>>70252612
why dont you listen to actual music instead of manufactured products idiot
>>
>>70252633
...I don't know what to tell you anon

I guess you'll grow out of phase 2 eventually >>70251760
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.