[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Had any genre done more for music than punk? Think about it.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: Ramones-Ramones1.jpg (192KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
Ramones-Ramones1.jpg
192KB, 720x720px
Had any genre done more for music than punk? Think about it.
Goth, New Wave, Emo, Skramz, Hardcore, Post-Hardcore, Synthpop, Thrash, Grunge, most Alternative Rock, and even Shoegaze probably wouldn't exist without it.
>>
Punk is rock music
>>
>shoegaze
you're right about this one

shoegaze is literally only good with punk influences (which MBV had a lot of)
>>
>>70212321
Punk changed things. Rock was going in a really pretentious progressive direction in the 70's and punk brought it back to its roots, and opened the door for the genres that I listed.
>>
Punk is not the best genre, but certainly the most influential.
>>
>>70212307

The blues.
>>
>>70212307
none of this would exist without protopunk
>>
>>70212339
slowdive > mbv
the mbv worship on this board needs to stop
>>
>>70212307
Velvet Underground, the Stooges, New York Dolls, Suicide, Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath and David Bowie are responsible for all listed genres
>>
>>70212764
>forgetting The Sonics
>>
>>70212859
Anthony Fantano is a faggot.
>>
>>70212859
My bad...
Velvet Underground, the Stooges, New York Dolls, Suicide, Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath, David Bowie and the Sonics are responsible for all listed genres
>>
>>70212949
throw The Voidoids in there and we good
>>
>>70213871
While what you say is true one mustn't forget The British Invasion and Surf Music along with various west coast Garage bands being a heavy influence on The Ramones.

The Beach Boys influence is obvious
I Don't Care reminds me of The Kinks
"Second Verse Same as The First" was lifted from Herman's Hermits.

I could go on but you get the idea.

Hey let's face it. Good Rock & Roll is good Rock & Roll and in my humble opinion The Ramones fit that category. (Especially the first four studio albums)
>>
>>70212321
This. Punk is usually just incredibly formally conservative rock n roll.

What punk kind of inadvertantly did was just draw a clean line that kind of allowed room for a change in approaches to music that sounded starkly different from former approaches.

Some of these new approaches were great, but that doesn't mean that the stuff they diverged from was bad either.

But the best stuff to follow in this wake wasn't really that influenced much formally by punk... I'd compare the influences more with minimalism and certain types of art music, disco, and pure pop.

I'll admit the influence of formal punk on emo, hardcore and thrash, and partly goth although goth broke with a lot of punk values and was more about romanticism, as was a lot of synthpop.

New Wave - punk's unidentical twin brother - was probably the more interesting aspect of the trigger that signaled that break from the past... I'd actually say it deserves more of the credit than punk, aesthetically, but it's just that punk had that whole 'anti' narrative and shit-talking that heightened its sense of being the force of change.

One needs to remember that there were other things in the late 70s that broke with the past too though. Disco, and the subsequent model for contemporary pop just as much signaled the more clean, simple model of songwriting and probably was even more important than punk in that role.
>>
>>70212764
Good point. Punk was just a very temporary stage in the diffusion of some of those influences, alongside many parallel channels of influence.
>>
>>70212549
and protopunk wouldn't exist without people banging sticks together in caves a million fucking years ago
>>
>>70212520
This. It's the basis for all rock. Repetitive 3 chord progression, basic driving rhythm, lyrics about depressing shit.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.