[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>The group rehearsed Van Vliet's difficult compositions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: wef.png (94KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
wef.png
94KB, 220x220px
>The group rehearsed Van Vliet's difficult compositions for eight months, living communally in a small rented house in the Woodland Hills suburb of Los Angeles.
>Van Vliet implemented his vision by asserting complete artistic and emotional domination of his musicians.
>At various times one or another of the group members was put "in the barrel", with Van Vliet berating him continually, sometimes for days, until the musician collapsed in tears or in total submission to Van Vliet.
>According to John French and Bill Harkleroad these sessions often included physical violence.
>French described the situation as "cultlike"[5] and a visiting friend said "the environment in that house was positively Manson-esque."[6] Their material circumstances also were dire. With no income other than welfare and contributions from relatives, the group survived on a bare subsistence diet.
>French recounted living on no more than a small cup of soybeans a day for a month[7] and at one point band members were arrested for shoplifting food (with Zappa bailing them out).
>A visitor described their appearance as "cadaverous" and said that "they all looked in poor health".
>Band members were restricted from leaving the house and practiced for 14 or more hours a day.
>Vliet once told drummer John French he had been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and thus he would see nonexistent conspiracies that explained this behaviour
holy shit
>>
>>70168136
Funniest part to me is zappa bailing them out
>>
Lmao I live in Woodland Hills. Their house is like five minutes from my place
>>
>>70168233
send pics
>>
to me this album is a good example of why being crazy or having some mental disorder doesn't necessarily mean you can make good art.

you can try and tell me how great it was but personally the interviews don't even back that up and neither do my ears. It was produced by some obsessive man slowly going insane who had some weird fixation on their being hardly any melody or rhythm for no good reason except probably wanting to be "creative" (which honestly just doing shit no ones done before with good reason is a really easy way to be creative as oppose to trying to work with some constraints).

i could paint with my hand all fucked up and backwards and id still just make a shitty painting despite how "creative" the process of making it was. story behind the albums interesting anyways tho.
>>
>>70168555
reddit the post

I'm sure you can go on about how avant garde radiohead and kendrick are. You disgust me and I bet you find free jazz and Stockhausen pretentious. You are just the sort of trash that old /mu/ kept out with their elitism
>>
>>70168677

>old /mu/
>elitist

lmao way to completely out yourself as a newfag

old /mu/ was nonstop metal versus indie threads + ITAOTS spam.
>>
>>70168713
This is just false and you know it
>>
>>70168713
>>70168989
jesus christ who gives a living shit kill yourselves
>>
>>70168555
>i could paint with my hand all fucked up and backwards and id still just make a shitty painting despite how "creative" the process of making it was
Go ahead and paint better than Van Vliet. Write better poems as well. If you try, you might start to appreciate the art behind Trout Mask Replica.
>>
File: 1482796529839.jpg (35KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
1482796529839.jpg
35KB, 460x276px
>>70168555
>Hardly any melody of rhythm
We're not talking about The Shaggs here. People who played on this album are highly technically capable musicians. And here's an explanation I've posted here earlier:
>There are certainly some unpleasant and maybe out of place songs (Hair Pie: Bake 1), I agree. But there are also some memorable and enjoyable songs that represent the nature of the album perfectly - Moonlight on Vermont, Pachuco Cadaver, Ella Guru, Frownland. Their intention was to deconstruct Delta blues and blues rock to their roots (just the sound, just the attitude of it) and introduce avant-garde, jazz, free jazz and experimental motifs. There's polyrhytmic drumming, which is an integral part of free jazz, then there are slide guitar licks and straight up blues licks. Captain's voice might be off putting and harsh on this album, but he's a great blues singer, which is definitely showcased on his less critically and slightly more commercial albums (Unconditionally guaranteed, Bluejeans & Moonbeams). If you're familiar with Howlin' Wolf, Captain's voice is Howlin' Wolf x10.
>Try listening to his first album - Safe as Milk. It's a great blues rock album and although it's an indication of things to come, it's still accessible and is one of the best in his discography. I understand that it's really hard to appreciate this album and similar albums if you're not a musican. That's not to say that you need to be a musican in order to enjoy and appreciate music. And of course, you don't have to like every single album you've heard. Polyrhytmic drumming is common in free jazz, but not in rock and blues, so that's why the rhythm may sound off to you. Polyrhytms are two separate rhythms played at the same time - which is impressive from a technical standpoint and impressive in the context of time in which the album was made.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyrhythm
There are examples of how they're used and by whom. It's an interesting read.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.