[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know most "jam music" is garbage, but can we adm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: phish.jpg (85KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
phish.jpg
85KB, 900x900px
I know most "jam music" is garbage, but can we admit phish are actually pretty good? Even if you can't into extended improvisation for whatever reason, Trey's more complex composed pieces(fluffhead, bowie, reba, foam, etc) are still plenty impressive for a "rock band".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie4ulmbtK4o
>>
DUDE
>>
>>70126491
I fail to see how phish's music is more "le weed lmao" than say, sleep or electric wizard who seem to be pretty well-liked around here
>>
You won't get much discussion of them on /mu/.

I have friends wiith great taste in music that are obsessed with them, bring to a few shows and everything. They're fun to see live but still can't really get into them. I've tried many many times but the goofiness threws me off. And i'm not a musician and can notice the complex differences between everyshow they play.
>>
Phish fan here, who mostly grew out of it.

Phish has a few modes.

1. The very well-composed longer songs that defined their early/mid career. Some of these are pretty good, like totally homespun prog music. You enjoy myself is pretty much all you need.

2. The belabored pop/bluegrass/cover songs. These are decently played, but not with much of a fine touch.

3. The wheedlydee jam moments. Some of these can occasionally be brilliant, especially when they thread through their older compositions. Sadly, however, most of the time it can get pretty boring.
>>
>>70126681
Fair enough I suppose. I just find it interesting that a band with such a large following because of the variety/complexity of their music is still mostly either ignored or looked down upon among the general "people who are into music" crowd.

In case it's of interest to you, this is just off the top of my head the best example of two very obviously different versions of the same song I could think of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSGv-yl1tdE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWfbtGBG8gE
of course I don't expect you to listen to the whole thing, but if you look at ~14:00 in the first one and ~8:00 in the second you can see how they completely diverge from the normal jam structure of the song, going into a funky groove in the first and a soaring peak in the second
>>
>>70126805
I'll look into those, it amazing me how fans disect every note they play show per shows Like them or not they have the most dedicated fanbase in music i've seen
>>
>>70126805
i always dismissed jam bands because sarah silverman had this one sketch about jam bands and lsd and stuff but i like this

thanks
>>
>>70126961
Well pretty much every sitcom has mad some kind of joke abour hippie potheads smoking weed. I remember Simpsons doing it, South Park doing it, Always Sunny in Phily did it. Phish pretty much replaced Bob Marley for weed jokes.
>>
>>70126961
happy to have introduced you to something new, anon.

If you want to explore the band more, check out http://phinestversion.com/songs. Just click any song you like the title of(or however you want to do it) and it'll give you a list of the top-rated live versions with a link to listen.
>>
Pic related, their best album
>>
Phish are alright. I like The Grateful Dead slightly better but I like Phish just fine.
>>
If you like to dance and drop acid, there's no question you want to see them live
>>
>>70126468
I used to love and listen to them a lot, their early stuff is amazing, shame we'll never get a studio version of Harry Hood
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.