[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you have a default answer for the question 'which bands

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 4

File: 2dd.jpg (15KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
2dd.jpg
15KB, 300x300px
Do you have a default answer for the question 'which bands do you like'? Some time ago a person I had just met asked me and my brain FREEZED OUT completely. I wanted to be sincere but I didn't want to go on for half an hour talking about the bands I was listening at the time. Also I didn't want to sound like a ‘wrong generation’ jerk and say something like The Beatles, or Led Zeppelin (which also would not be very precise because it’s been months since the last time I sat and listened to that music). I was also a little bit concerned about only naming obscure (or not-so-obscure) bands that he would not probably know and sound like a pretentious fuck.

My point is, have you worked out a list of bands that kind of represents your music interests for social use only? And, is doing that as stupid as it sounds?
>>
>>70086995
I always mentions genres I like, and maybe popular bands that represent that sort lf stuff, like Radiohead, and make sure to state I also listen to a bunch of other more obscure bands also.
>>
>>70086995
Just say genres
If they push for particular bands, I go for the most wellknown. Like the velvet underground
>>
>>70086995
>People talk to him
>People are interested enough in him to ask about his interests
>He doesn't go on for half an hour like an autist to make sure they stay away

Haha what a pleb.
Just lie and say you like Kanye like everyone else
>>
>>70087039
>Tfw people think Radiohead is weird and obscure now

I miss 1997
>>
>>70087077
What genre do you think TVU plays because they play rock and roll and theyre definitely not the most well known
>>
>>70087039
I don't like Radiohead that much, but its a pretty good answer tho.
>>
>>70087089
I should have probably stated that the question was addressed to people interested in having a sort of social life.
>>
>>70087127
Psychedelic rock is the most identifiable when talking to people but you could technically say its proto punk, proto noise, proto drone, rock and roll and psychedelic rock
>>
>>70087112
seriously? I've been using them as my pleb answer and been doing fine
>>
>>70087158
>On 4chan

How could I have made that mistake
>>
>>70087183
Everyone I know thinks they're weird and most people haven't heard of them, or barely know them
>>
>>70087183
Same here
>>
>>70087185
edgy
>>
File: mu shroom.jpg (268KB, 1111x1200px) Image search: [Google]
mu shroom.jpg
268KB, 1111x1200px
>>70087039
>make sure to state I also listen to a bunch of other more obscure bands also
you sound like a fun guy
>>
>>70087195
That's the thing. If I'm talking to somebody that's not going to know Radiohead, I get lost.
>>
>>70087363
Can't argue with that
>>
I just say I'm into Rush and other proggy stuff. If they're into hip hop, I tell them I only recently got into it and don't listen to much more than Deltron and Kendrick.
>>
>>70087077
Then I get stuck confusing people with Post Punk and Shoegaze
>>
>>70087833
Who the hell would possibly confuse the two?
>>
>>70087833
The vast majority of people I know wouldn't recognise even the word shoegaze and would assume post and punk were different genres
>>
I don't answer their questions
I just tell them what I had for dinner last night and they leave me alone
>>
I say whatever I'm currently listening to, then I say what genres I like.
>>
I can imagine you guys obsessing over crafting the perfect answer, or mocking other people based on what their answer is.

It's so childish to judge other people based on their music tastes of all things. I seriously hope you don't do this. Literally nobody cares what music you listen to....your answer doesn't matter.
I say "glam metal", it never fails to get a laugh.
>>
>>70088010
hahahahahahaha glam metal
great 1 anon XD
>>
>>70086995
>'i didn't understand the question'
>start slowly walking backwards
>'could you repeat it please?'
>'what?'
>bend off at the next corner
>exhale pleasantly
>tricked the plebs once again
>>
>>70086995
I usually say Joy Division, The Smiths and Radiohead, because most people know them and I genuinely like them allthought they are not my favorite.
>>
>>70088010
back in the day before the internet was as popular, it was harder to find music. Nowadays everyone and their mom listens to obscure stuff. Even normal people who listen to pop seem to have somewhat obscure pop tastes, probably because it's easy to just find random stuff on youtube or spotify
>>
>stay close to exclusively in 4 genres
>to few to say "all kinds of stuff"
>enough of them to sound autistic if you listed them all
>>
>>70086995
try naming the last few cds that you bought or albums that you downloaded and what you think about them.
>>
File: joker.jpg (130KB, 757x505px) Image search: [Google]
joker.jpg
130KB, 757x505px
>>70086995
I scream DEATH GRIPS at the top of my fucking lungs and hold it until I pass out
>>
>>70088135
>obscure
>pop
Not sure what you think obscure is
>>
>>70087089
Yeah exactly, just be honest for fucks sake
No one even notices the 'wrong generation' twats because their too busy in their moms basement wanking
>>
Radiohead and The Beach Boys
>>
>>70087887
This

Nobody knows what the hell ambient drone is you weirdo, punk is weird enough to regular people
>>
>>70086995
It's because you millennials listen to too much music, too many genres. Because of this you spread your taste too think and don't understand anything.
>>
>>70088010
yes but we are all autistic and don't understand the NT ritual of asking questions for no fucking reason so then we think that they are asking a sincere question.
>>
>>70088478
>Thinking we're unique
It's human nature to interpret questions about your hobby as sincere and important
>>
>>70088238
I thought we were past the point of believing the label 'pop' is only valid for popular music.
>>
>>70088455
Deal with it grandpa
>>
>>70088183
That doesn't help if the last stuff you downloaded includes John Zorn's Absinth or the complete sessions of Captain Beefheart's Safe as Milk.
>>
>>70088010
Nah man, actually I admire people who just don't care about giving the 'appropriate' answer. It's just that it is not my case, specially when starting to know someone. I really don't care about talking to my close friends about the weird shit I listen to and why I love it, even if they don't know a lot of music. It's just that I can't assume that a person I don't know it's going to be interested in that stuff.
>>
File: 1452963401438.jpg (419KB, 1000x666px) Image search: [Google]
1452963401438.jpg
419KB, 1000x666px
>>70087833
>work at post office
>people constantly think i'm shitting them when i say i listen to post-punk
>>
>not telling the truth
People will not think you're a social outcast because they never heard about something you like, lying about it would be more off-putting.
>>
>>70089288
It's not about lying. It's just saying a version of the truth that fits the social context of the conversation. It's the cornerstone of human communication.
>>
>>70089462
Trust me, being honest will make you more likeable in the long run.
>>
>>70089288
But what if it's hard to represent yourself with just a few bands? I don't mind telling the truth, but according to my last.fm I have listened to over 1,000 artists and what do I say in those 10 seconds after being asked that particular question?
>>
>>70090096
a couple of your favorite bands
>>
>>70089187
kek
>>
>>70090138
I'm triggered
>>
I just say I mostly listen to rock, jazz, electronic and classical.
>>
>>70089187
funny
>>
>>70086995
Everytime I get asked this question I just let them see what I recently played on Spotify and it usually goes over pretty well
>>
WHY DO Y'ALL HAVE TO GIVE YOURSELVES SO MUCH IMPORTANCE, I MEAN THERE ARE HIGH CHANCES THAT PEOPLE ASK YOUR MUSIC TASTE BECAUSE THEY WANNA BE NICE, NOT BECAUSE THEY CARE. AND IF THEY DID WHY DO YOU FEEL THE NEED TO ACT LIKE YOU KNOW ALL OF THE MUSIC IN THE WORLD, JUST NAME A FEW ENTRY LEVEL BANDS AND THAT'S ALL FOR FUCKING FUCK SAKE
>>
>>70090237
Do you listen to a lot of normie music or just have hipster friends?
>>
>the swans, the pixies, the lonious monk, the list could go on :)
>>
>>70090455
>haha that swans band sounds so gay and soft!

this literally happened to me
>>
>>70088859
"it's stuff that a lot of people wouldn't think of as music ... 'experimental' music would be similar"
>>
>>70090412
Neither. My friends are the most normie people imaginable and my favorite bands are "poseurcore" like This Heat, Disco Inferno, and Xiu Xiu. It's just by showing them my Spotify playlist they get to look at my taste without me trying to explain it like an autist. They don't get the "gritty details" so to speak so they still get a general idea of your music taste without putting them into any actual uncomfortable territory.

But most of the normies I know are pretty open-minded on anything I play. There's only a few examples where I was asked to stop and that when I was purposely wanted to trigger them
>>
what if you listen to vaporwave
>>
>a lot of punk and revolutionary hip hop
This technically covers folk punk and noise rock.
>>
I always open up my music player app with all my albums, hand them my phone and they tell me which albums they know or heard of. That prevents the awkwardness when you ask for 10 minutes about bands they haven't heard of and it also makes you look like an open person
>>
>>70089713
Yeah, but it's not about lying per se, just how to give an answer to someone that doesn't sound like complete gibberish.

Radiohead actually is my favorite band so that sort of covers that. Beyond that, I kind of just say "a bunch of indie stuff", which in a general sense, is true.
>>
>>70090138
This hard for me because beyond my favorite band, I don't really have any other "favorites", just a bunch of stuff that I like I go kind of go through phases with.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.