[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the difference between alternative rock, indie rock,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: QNI7uip.jpg (442KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
QNI7uip.jpg
442KB, 1200x1200px
What is the difference between alternative rock, indie rock, post rock, experimental rock, shoegaze, slowcore, and sadcore?
>>
>>70002213
depends what your mom's in the mood for
>>
>>70002213
Absolutely nothing.

Rocktards are much worse than EDM kiddies when it comes to dumb sub, sub, subgenre labelling.
>>
>>70002213
post rock is generally more about long drawn out arrangements and building on energy than indie/alt rock. experimental just means its more experimental, theres no specific sound to it. shoegaze means using lots of noise to create a dreamy sound to it basically. slowcore is like slowed down, sometimes folkish indie rock. sadcore isn't a genre as far as i know.
>>
alt rock is hard to define but you know it when you hear it
indie rock is as well
post-rock is alt/indie rock not in the traditional verse-chorus-verse format, more like a classical composition that progresses gradually
slowcore is indie rock but slower and more introspective
sadcore doesnt real
>>
>>70002728
Is Helvetia slowcore?
>>
>>70002814
idk i have only listened to a couple helvetia songs. for good examples of slowcore listen to i could live in hope by low, down colorful hill by red house painters, and songs about leaving by carrissas weird
>>
>>70002213
alternative rock is basically just a lazy way to label pretty much all rock since Nirvana, I guess it refers to rock songwriting that takes more from punk than blues. Pixies are kind of ground zero for what I think of as 'alternative rock' although I know 80s R.E.M. get tagged as it too. It's a very lazy term that refers more to an era rather than a specific sound, any term that could just as easily refer to Pavement or Radiohead as it could refer to Breaking Benjamin or Three Days Grace is clearly woefully inadequate

indie rock in the literal sense means rock released on an independent label, although it does get abused to refer to any of the more off-kilter, unconventional alternative rock acts since the 90s (see the aforementioned Pavement and Built to Spill, Modest Mouse etc. for examples)

post rock is also a pretty bad genre tag, in the 90s it refers to a load of experimental bands and kraut revivalists, post-hardcore band Slint and whatever the fuck you'd call Talk Talk if the tag didn't exist. Then GY!BE happened and now it refers to any band that sounds like a worse version of them

experimental rock is rock music that is experimental in its sonic templates and song structures. actually not a bad tag, although woefully abused

shoegaze is pop rock played with extreme distortion to created a lush wall of sound

slowcore refers to a depressive minimal type of rock that is played slowly and with little energy

sadcore is just a dumb name for slowcore
>>
>>70002213
How they sound
>>
>>70002213
>alternative rock
Not hard rock
>indie rock
Mostly alternative, but maybe faggier
>post rock
Scenes that initially focused on making non rock music, with rock instruments and loan motifs
Then settled with long pieces with a heavy use of effects like chorus and reverb, and build up gradually over time.
>shoegaze
Rock where effect pedals create a "fuzzy" atmosphere akin to heavy distortion in high frequencies
>slowcore
Rock played slower and quieter
>sadcore
Slowcore sung with pain and sadder lyrics
>>
alt, indie, experimental are meaningless terms

shoegaze is rock music with simple guitar but with large use of effects pedals

slowcore is pretty much not a genre. none of the bands considered slowcore have any connection to each other. the only band considered slowcore that used slow tempos as their centerpiece and to make a bit of statement was low, all the other bands just happened to make slow music.

sadcore is the sad side of slowcore but most slowcore is sad so it doesn't really matter
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.