[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is most metal unmusical wankery? The 'classics'

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: Scream_Bloody_Gore.jpg (46KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
Scream_Bloody_Gore.jpg
46KB, 350x350px
Why is most metal unmusical wankery? The 'classics' are alright, and rooted in satisfying chord progressions, bluesy riffs, and interesting structures that still had musical qualities and were rooted in rock music. But most metal is completely unsatisfying noise, the essence of which can be found listening in on practice rooms in a music university.
>>
>>69978006
First post
>>
BECAUSE FUCK YOU I HATE YOU
>>
>>69978033
checked
>>
File: #heckyes.png (753B, 25x26px) Image search: [Google]
#heckyes.png
753B, 25x26px
>>69978033
holy S H I T nice doubles
>>
i didnt realize metal was so hard to get into, damn
>>
>>69978006
Pic unrelated?

Metal is a genre just like every other genre. Most of it is utter dogshit. Gotta dig through the rough to get the diamonds.
>>
>>69978006
Most metal hasn't operated according to rock conventions since the mid-80s. They should be taken as different styles, just as rock is with blues.
>>
>>69978129
>Most of it is utter dogshit. Gotta dig through the rough to get the diamonds

isn't this the case of literally any post-60 music genre though
>>
>>69978224
Most disco is good.
>>
>>69978006
>satisfying chord progressions
If by this you mean "generic pop and blues chord progressions", then yes, those are rare in metal.

>interesting structures that still had musical qualities and were rooted in rock music
Metal (especially death metal) blows "normal" rock music out in this respect. Listen to an Incantation album and pay attention to the way the riffs progress and where the song goes.
Though there's plenty of metal with verse-chorus-verse if you get can't into anything else.

>bluesy riffs
One of the defining differences between metal and hard rock since Judas Priest has been the abandonment of blues cliches.
>>
>>69978319
Metallica, Pantera, and early Megadeth have bluesy riffs
>>
>>69978283
All disco is bad.
>>
>>69978392
Nope, most of it is good. You just hate fun.
>>
I guess its mostly about what you get out of the music. There is something to be said for sheer brutality or noise or chaos being a desirable musical quality, especially when mixed with speed and rhythm. If you dont get anything out of that, why shit on it?
>>
>>69978414
I like fun, disco isn't fun.
>>
>>69978319
One thing I don't get about metal music is how the drums are like a metronome. It seems like they're just constantly going at it, playing straight eighths or playing a pattern that heavily accents either the downbeat or the upbeat at fast enough tempos where it makes the rhythm boring. I do enjoy the riffs a lot of the time, but what turns me off is how a lot of death metal seems rhythmically retarded like that.

some bands don't do this but ones that do just sort of boggle my mind...
>>
>>69978478
Disco is one of the most fun things life has to offer. Only thing better is jazz-funk.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.