[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some progressive rock groups/albums that do improvisation/jam

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Soft Machine - Third.jpg (257KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Soft Machine - Third.jpg
257KB, 1000x1000px
What are some progressive rock groups/albums that do improvisation/jam stuff? There's a lot of psych rock, krautrock, and post-rock that do this, but seemingly not a lot of progressive rock. Post some progressive rock that does it. I'll start off with the only one I am familiar with, Soft Machine's Third.
>>
Krautrock is just a label for German prog & experimental rock.

So Amon Duul
>>
All the Canterbury stuff, but that's pretty much the English version of Krautrock.
>>
>>69933689
But the English version of Krautrock is just normal Prog rock.

We did it first.
And Canterbury is a Town in England, the reason it's called Canterbury Scene is simply the pioneers of the style were from Canterbury.
>>
i somehow ended up listening to 'slightly all the time' today and being totally blown away

i don't really care for jazz at all in general and i remember trying to listen to this album before and being totally turned off for some reason

need to give it another listen
>>
Gentle Giant
>>
Third is basically jazz fusion with studio editing.
>>69933640
>>69933689
This. The terms prog, psych, krautrock, canterbury, are all very closely knit. So check out any of these.

King Crimson
Henry Cow
Matching Mole
Hatfield & the North
Can
Amon Duul, but even more so - Amon Duul II

Also, let's not forget the true pioneers here, The Mothers of Invention were beginning to fuse prog/classical composition, jazz improvisation, and psychedelia back in like '66.

'Murrica!
>>
>>69933864
That's funny, I had the horn melody of that tune stuck in my head for a brief time today.
>>
>>69934077
Wait, what else KC done outside of like Moonchild that is improv jams?

And which Mothers stuff has the improv jams? I only listened to that Brain Police song and it sounds like musique concrete.

>>69933951
Really? Wouldn't have thought so. First impression of their music makes them seem compositionally next level complex.
>>
>>69933560
frances the mute, and mars volta's album after that
>>
>>69934189
Not him but you can't really go wrong with the mothers' 60s stuff. Some of it is more poppy, but it gets pretty heavily into experimental/improv stuff, especially uncle meat. Hot rats is more of a fusion album - it's pretty similar to third, and it's probably his "best" album
>>
>>69934189
There's not a lot, but there's a but of improvisation between Larks Tongues and Red:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhudDa3JAyc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FNiK73zqm4

It's must easier to demonstrate with the Mothers. If Freak Out is all you've heard then you're in for an awakening:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToQWHNFZ2RE

You may have noticed the conducting signals and be thinking, wait, if Frank is conducting the band, it must be fixed and composed...

... But you'd be wrong. It's well documented that Frank's unique conducting signals were directions for the band to play specific time signatures, change dynamics, and make various noises and effects on the fly. They were not premeditated, therefore still improvising. The band was just that disciplined.
>>
>>69934850
Holy shit I didn't know Zappa did the conducting/improv thing. I saw the house (now kinda jazz) artist Floating Points do something similar when he came here to the states last year. Zappa really was ahead of his time.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.