[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you guys like weird music with pop sensibilities? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4

File: ariel pink.jpg (5KB, 301x167px) Image search: [Google]
ariel pink.jpg
5KB, 301x167px
Do you guys like weird music with pop sensibilities? I'm talking about artists like Ariel Pink, Gary Wilson, R. Stevie Moore, Dean Blunt, and James Ferraro. What other artists are like this? Do you think this kind of music is vapid or genius?
>>
>>69904783
>Ariel Pink, Gary Wilson, R. Stevie Moore, Dean Blunt, and James Ferraro.
all hacks. The only one's missing is that commie fuck John Maus
>>
>>69904783
all of those artists are faux-"weird" trash

absolute trash
>>
File: now.png (326KB, 535x536px) Image search: [Google]
now.png
326KB, 535x536px
>>69904816
>still at it
love you senpai, never change
>>
>>69904841
Wrong
>>
I like it altho pretending it has depth beyond being good pop music (aside from Dean Blunt and Ferraro, they're legitimately talented in a unique way) is kind of silly

Ariel Pink is kind of a dick too
>>
>>69904867
>Ariel Pink is kind of a dick
explain
>>
>>69904855
Right

No actual quality to their music, all bullshit substance and don't care get me started on Dean Blunt and Ferraro "genius level concepts"

Fucking kek
>>
>>69904841
>>69904855
Please dont post such empty comments in my thread. Explain why you dont like it or why you do like it.
>>
>>69904867
Isnt the depth its ability to still be pop music although being inaccessible?
>>
>>69904897
Your argument is as empty as you claim these artists to be. Saying they dont have qaulity and their substance is bullshit isnt really making any points. You have to explain why as well.
>>
>>69904816
I specifically didnt include John Maus because I didnt want to attract shitposters like you.
>>
>>69904897
no please, start..
>>
Real Talk

We need to find a way to stop people like you.

This is pop music for people who think they are above pop music.

If you ever laughed at Grimes music then voluntarily listen to this shit

You deserve to get hung
>>
>>69905341
>muh concepts
>>
>>69905394
I dont think anyone does that
>>
>>69905415
wtf I hate B E B 3 T U N 3 $$$$$$ now
>>
>>69904783
>ariel pink
hasn't been good since the doldrums
>gary wilson
who?
>r. stevie moore
dude
the beatles with downs
lmao
>dean blunt
black metal is 8/10 rest is shit
>james ferraro
only the early shit
>>
>>69905394
I dont think Grimes is really comparable. Shes not off-kilter enough to be grouped in with the aforementioned artists. Also to say this is "pop music for people who think they are above pop music" is a pretty biased statement I imagine. Would you say the same about people who listen to the velvet underground? Are they listening to Art Rock because they think they are above rock music?
>>
>>69905517
Thanks for your opinions. You really improved this thread. Do you like any other comparable artists?
>>
>>69905563
I like john maus a lot
>>
>>69905603
Thats weird that you dont like more of early Ariel pink then. They were taking similar creative paths in their music in the early to mid 2000's
>>
Only shit music
>>
>>69905714
this
>>
>>69905721
you just replied to your own post you fucking retard you thought i wouldnt catch that shit?
>>
>>69904887
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WpnMVwng0g
>>
File: IMG_1625.jpg (120KB, 517x920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1625.jpg
120KB, 517x920px
>>69905761
>hurr hey guys look at me and how retarded I am!!
>>
>>69905769
All part of the show
>>
>>69905563
Not him, but Elysia Crampton does similar stuff to 2010s Ferraro, but with a latino and crunk twist. Check her soundcloud.
Lolina - Live in Paris is pretty cool too.
Otherwise, I can only think of semi-related stuff like Jan Terri, Flaming Tunes, Poil and Kane West.
>>
>>69904951
I really don't see how its inaccessible rather than just not mainstream
>>
>>69905974
Flaming Tunes seem really intriguing. What do you think about them?
>>
>>69906045
You genuinely can't see how a song like Dinosaur Carebears isn't accessible?
>>
>>69906247
What? It's wacky Zappa pop. It's not like it's harsh noise, it's just silly and has a lot of progression changes.

Pom Pom is Ariel at his most accessible, I'd argue. It's also inferior to most of his output
>>
>>69906045
Relative to what pop normally is it is inaccessible. Whether it be lo fi production or unorthodox vocal deliveries or whatever it may be these artists put a touch of individuality into what they make that would throw first listeners off. You know what I mean?
>>
File: 235ggw.jpg (237KB, 713x713px) Image search: [Google]
235ggw.jpg
237KB, 713x713px
Ariel stopped being good after this
>>
>>69906319
Is that worth listening to
>>
>>69906247
The first minute yeah but then its a minute of like cartoon songs and then its chilled out vaguely dub indie

Considering the boom in caribbean influenced music via electronic and rap lately I can't imagine much people having difficulty with it

its possible I'm just out of touch but kpop is one of my favorite genres so I think I have a good idea of what accessibility is in a pop music.

>>69906295
I see where you're coming from but I don't think it would throw people off in a way where they just couldn't enjoy it but rather it would make people think "Oh that's different"
>>
>>69906408
only if you're a hardcore ariel fan or just a completist
>>
>>69906094
It's a side project of a This Heat member with one of his friends (who is a girl who doesn't sing btw), recorded on either a Portastudio or a cheap reel to reel 4-track.

It's not very pop, more like quiet experimental "rock" with piano, a cheap drum machine and percussion, maybe an harmonium or something like this, but anyway, the way the album was made is a bit reminiscent of R Stevie Moore.
And it's one of those albums to which I always return to, from times to times, especially during autumn. It has an awesome atmosphere.
In short, it's underrated as fuck.
>>
>>69905974
>Kane West
So dorky
>>
Sure

Bjork, AnCo, Xiu Xiu, Joanna Newsom, After Dinner, Shiina Ringo, some Sufjan, etc.
>>
>>69906463
Definitely going to check it out. It being a side project of a This Heat member is what intrigued me in the first place and your description of it has me stoked. Thanks man
>>
>>69904783
I'm actually listening to The Doldrums right now, and I can honestly say I think there is substance to be found here. As kitschy and stylized as Ariel's music is - especially his earlier lo-fi stuff - the essence of it is simply infectious, expertly crafted pop music. I got into Ariel Pink (and R. Stevie Moore) before I had very much musical knowledge or training, and it attracted me then for the same reason. But even after studying music for several years and dumping some old favorites that didn't resonate with my newfound snobby intellectualism, I still enjoy Ariel Pink and R. Stevie Moore (though mainly just Phonography and assorted other songs of his). They were two artists whose value did not diminish for me after I was able to understand what they were doing musically. I honestly hear, in their finer moments, a level of meticulous songcraft and sophistication that rivals the likes of Steely Dan or even Frank Zappa in a way, which is truly saying something if you know how deep they can be in terms of detail in writing pop songs (and of course here I mean pop in the academic way, referring generally to all commercial music). And it's not just the attention to detail that I make that comparison; the feeling is there too - in their catchy melodies, flowing rhythmns, dynamics, harmonic content, etc. That said, sometimes they just aren't on and it sounds bland, or forced, or just too weird, awkard, unmusical, etc. It's hard to nail it all the time.

tl;dr - From a purely musical perspective, I think they can be pretty great
>>
>>69906275
I think you and I are on the same page. I didn't care for Pom Pom either, but I love several of his early albums (namely Doldrums, House Arrest, and Worn Copy). Beneath the esoteric lo-fi production lies some true pop gems. Even when he got signed to 4AD and improved the production value considerably - leaving no surface haze to hide behind, putting the music squarely up front - he still put out a fantastic album (Before Today). I think that was his last really good release though.
>>
>>69906752
le big nose poo poo joke jazzman
>>
>leaving out Kim Fowley
>>
>>69906752
>I honestly hear, in their finer moments, a level of meticulous songcraft and sophistication that rivals the likes of Steely Dan or even Frank Zappa in a way
Yeah, you can definitely hear some Zappa influence in Ariel Pink, even in his more recent output like Mature Themes.
But it's funny that you say this, since Ariel was 19 or 21 when he made most of the Doldrums, and he said he could only play "three-string guitars" at the time.
But the way he made his songs, with a lot of overdubbing I guess, add some incidental and kinda instictive complexity.

>That said, sometimes they just aren't on and it sounds bland, or forced, or just too weird, awkard, unmusical, etc. It's hard to nail it all the time.
Yeah, it's weird how there are so many cacophonous songs I can't focus on in this album, and suddenly, you get to Let's Build a Campfire Here, and you can't help but listen to that song 5 times in a row.
I guess they didn't rejected many songs in their releases, and they aren't extremely well trained musicians.
>>
>>69906752
I feel the same in the way that Ive only appreciated ariel pink's work (mainly his early work) more as time goes by because of how meticulously crafted his songs.
>>
>>69907057
Kim is a totally different creature belonging to another time and place. R Stevie was an early 00's indie ironic lofi pop musician accidentally transported to the 70's.
>>
rmember sam mehran?
>>
>>69907141
Well he's obviously not of a professional caliber on an instrument, but he clearly has a very good ear for writing pop music. Even if he couldn't even play more than 3 strings at a time, that merely speaks to his knack for writing and arranging such densely layered songs on his own.
>>
>>69907264
I remember that Bowie Pop meme, it was a nice album, his Explorers and Matrix Metals stuff isnt bad too.
>>
>>69907057
Where do I begin with kim fowley's discography?
>>
>>69904783
Reminder that Ariel is bringing new album next year check his instagran
>>
>>69907988
Outrageous ---> Living in the Streets ----> International Heroes ---> The Trip
>>
>>69904841
>I only listen to REAL weird music like Comus and Can
>>
>>69908029
https://twitter.com/arielxpink
>And so it begins. Shit.Fake News everywhere re: 'new music' and 'new album'. Thx pfork- "make arielpink grate again".
>Whelp. I guess this means I have to record again, for pforks sake as well as my own.
lmao
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.