[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok, so we've all seen our share of "things plebs/normies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 4

File: 1482678458562.jpg (170KB, 652x720px) Image search: [Google]
1482678458562.jpg
170KB, 652x720px
Ok, so we've all seen our share of "things plebs/normies say" threads. But I want to focus on one particular thing that always comes up in these types of threads; the dreaded "when do they start singing?"/ "where are the lyrics?" etc.

What I want to know is, what exactly IS it with plebs/normies and not being able to deal with instrumental music. It seems like it's a pretty common thing, since it comes up so often in those threads. What's your take on this phenomenon?
>>
I've never had a problem with that
>>
I had a girl ask me "are there any words?" when I played Weird Fishes for her
>>
File: 1481832648248.jpg (173KB, 601x665px) Image search: [Google]
1481832648248.jpg
173KB, 601x665px
Vocals are front center and with literary meanings, it's the most basic easily understandable aspect. Without abstract thinking, you can't find any real meaning into something without words, so something without vocals would come of as pointless.
Also there's the extra conditioning of all pop music having lyrics, so instrumentals will automatically feel odd and deviating for plebs.
>>
Lyrics give the audience a break from thinking. Should there be an absence of vocals the audience then has to begin evaluating musical performance which exhausts some people.

It might be something to do with publishing copyright as well.
>>
It is a pretty common thing for pleebs to say

Someone thought Candy Claws was instrumental after it had been playing in the background for like 15 minutes
>"it's okay but I want to hear some singing"

But hey
I find some of anamanaguchi's songs to be profoundly moving despite their cheesy aesthetic and the lack of words
>>
>people expect music to have lyrics
>/mu/ autists lose their minds at people simply asking if it's a song with a long intro

I sincerely hate most people on this board with every fiber of my being, you guys are in fucking sufferable.
>>
>>69903890
>implying 90% of you faggots understand theory or how to compose in any significant capacity
>implying this isn't just more cliquey bullshit to make you mental children feel superior about yourselves and to construct a outgroups out of normal people no matter how nonsensical the justification is
>>
>>69903299
>What I want to know is, what exactly IS it with plebs/normies and not being able to deal with instrumental music.
Because we instinctively pay more attention to the human voice than other sounds.
Whenever there's a human speaking and something else with it we instinctively put the rest of the sound on the backseat.
This is why most popular music consists of a singer with the rest of the music acting as a soundtrack, is what normies understand, add the lyrics giving easy-to-understand meaning and that's it.
It's just what the plebs understand, you'll never fully appreciate instrumental stuff without some degree of technical knowledge of music.
>>
>>69906229
>you'll never fully appreciate instrumental stuff without some degree of technical knowledge of music

I don't agree with this. It's true focusing on lyrics is easier, but that's rather because of what >>69903890 says
>>
File: 1472837196669.gif (2MB, 300x241px) Image search: [Google]
1472837196669.gif
2MB, 300x241px
>>69906187
>complains about people spouting bullshit to feel superior to others
>posts about muh theory and belittles everyone else
>>
>>69906374
But it's true, you can think something sounds nice if you don't know shit about music, but to understand the underlying themes and what's going on you need to analyze it technically, and that requires some degree of theoric knowledge.
It's like what you'd do to read some complicated lyrics, but with musical notes instead, although the pieces in which you can do this kind of analysis outside of art music are few.
>>
>>69906406
What are you going to criticize a scientist for expecting people passing judgments on science to understand the scientific method too?

Pleb trash.
>>
>>69906442
That's true, but it doesn't explain why people dislike instrumental music/prefer music with lyrics: if it sounds nice you should be able to enjoy it, right?
>>
>>69906599
Most of them don't outright dislike it, they just find it boring.
Plenty of plebs use instrumental music as background noise, and I'm sure I don't have to tell anyone about the huge number of "classical music study compilations" on YouTube.
There's also that whole thing with EDM and popular electronic genres but I don't know much about these.
The point is that lyrics act as something everyone can understand and follow without much thought put into it, for passive listening instrumental music works for everyone, but for active listening people find it boring because they're uncapable of analyzing and listening to what's really going on.
>>
File: 1447036543428.png (508KB, 575x457px) Image search: [Google]
1447036543428.png
508KB, 575x457px
music is a language in and of itself. in order to make any sense of the language and fully appreciate it, you have to either have an understanding of theory, or you have to be especially sensitive to the subtleties of it.

plebs don't understand anything about music, and so therefore, unless they're listening to a laughably simple I - vi - IV - V progression, it makes no sense to them and they don't give a shit. they may as well be trying to listen to a person talking to them in a language they don't understand. it all goes right over their head and they get bored.

This is why they need to have someone speaking to them in a language they actually understand in order to take anything away from listening to music. why do you think rap is so popular today? it's literally just someone talking over repetitive 4/4 beats.

most people don't give a shit about music, they just want to hear about how many bitches this nigga fucked.
>>
>>69906599
Most music that most people listen to regularly has singing and lyrics, so they expect to hear singing and lyrics when a song comes on.

fucking groundbreaking I know.
>>
>>69906700
That doesn't answer anything fucktard, why did lyrical music become the popular standard?
>>
>>69906719
Music started out as singing in groups. That's what people did and do in the wild. The isolated tribes on Earth who had no prior contact with our civilization all have singers.

Music is and has always been primarily singing.
>>
>>69906776
>Music is and has always been primarily singing.
wtf could you be any more wrong?
>>
>>69906888
I'm not wrong, it's what humans do. It's what humans have always done. The human larynx is specifically made for creating a variety of different tones. Every person is born with an instrument in their throat of course that was the first music. The oldest instruments is only 40,000 years old, might be younger iirc.

Singing could have and probably did originate in earlier human species.
>>
>>69906940
So you're saying that those that conform to non-instrumental music are archaic plebs that might as well be neanderthals?
>>
>>69906888
I hope you also understand that even talking is a type of music. You can literally play your speaking using an instrument.
>>
>>69906974
It's another instrument, there's nothing inherently wrong with it or inferior about it. This is just another stupid fucking /mu/ meme that you bought into to fit in at the lunch table.
>>
>>69906940
even though you have no proof, i'm not arguing that singing was the first instrument. that's completely irrelevant. i'm talking about music after we got smart enough to make our own instruments.
>what is folk music
>what is classical music
>what is music theory
there's a whole complex system of music that people study for their entire lives just trying to understand the intricacies of. The voice is only one in nearly infinitely many methods of achieving the tones which are defined and arranged by the overarching system of music.

you shouldn't be talking out of your ass trying to define music when you obviously don't know anything about theory, and therefore music in general.
>>
>>69906995
>>69906980
>It's another instrument
okay, but how the hell did you make the jump from that to this?
yes it's another instrument, but it's not any better or more important than other instruments. plebs just resonate with it more because of this>>69906685
>>
>>69906442
>but to understand the underlying themes and what's going on you need to analyze it technically
not really
>>
>>69907091
What are you even trying to argue right now? I'm just saying that the voice is another instrument and doesn't make music worse inherently.

I'm also saying that yeah anon, humans make music and before we had instruments we used our voices. I find it mind boggling that anyone would dispute that.
>>
>>69907161
It's primarily singing because everyone has that instrument anon. If everyone was not born with a larynx but some kind of built in forearm guitar then that would be the primary instrument in music anon.
>>
>>69907169
stop moving the goalposts. this was your original argument that i was disputing.
>>69906776
>>
I think "normies" mostly listen to the radio which is (mostly, if you aren't listen to classical on XM Radio) pop music of any genre whether it be rock, hip hop, dream pop/shoegaze which have music which is mostly singing. While singers can have heavier use of allegories and metaphors in their music it does promote a surface level of thinking.

The singer can tell the listener HOW to feel and it's more easy for normies to listen to since it doesn't exactly promote abstract thinking (in terms of mostly pop music, you aren't gonna hear Joanna Newsom on the radio).
>>
>>69907227
It is anon and it always has been. Most songs include singing.
>>
>>69906974
Yes
>>
>>69903299
I haven't ever heard a normie say this.

I've heard "anything but rap and country" a fuckton, but never anything about instrumentals.
>>
>>69907276
>>69907206
so is baseball primarily about arms because everyone has them and they're used to swing the bat and catch the ball?

you're an idiot. go study some theory before you go spewing uneducated nonsense like this everywhere
>>
>>69907276
>Most songs include singing.
Anon, stop listening to exclusively pop music. You're such a pleb it's ridiculous.
>>
>>69906776
Full retard.
>>
>>69903299
They come from a background of listening to almost entirely pop music where the vocal line carries the melody and is the center of attention. As a result of this the first thing they key in on is the vocals and if they're not there they have a hard time figuring out what exactly they're meant to be listening too.
>>
>>69907330
That's a non-analogy. This specific argument doesn't even need address theory, leading me to believe that you don't even know what music theory is.

Most songs have involved singing anon.

>>69907350
Oh that's crazy I didn't know that singing is only in pop songs.

>>69907351
Fantastic rebuttal, you must be brilliant.
>>
>>69907375
>This specific argument doesn't even need address theory.
yes it does. you're talking about music, which is almost entirely founded on the system of theory. again, i will say, The voice is only one in nearly infinitely many methods of achieving the tones which are defined and arranged by the overarching system of music. a system which you obviously know nothing about.

>Most songs have involved singing anon.
LISTEN TO CLASSICAL.

>Oh that's crazy I didn't know that singing is only in pop songs.
aside from some religious chants and folk songs, it is.
>>
>>69907375
>>Most songs have involved singing anon.
Not really, actually.
>>
>>69907375
also, that analogy demonstrates the exact logic that you're using to defend your argument right now.
>>
>>69907506
The ratio of songs with vocals as opposed to just instrumental is one that is answered with or without using music theory as supporting evidence. I'm just saying that the human voice is used in most songs.

>>69907556
No, because I'm saying that playing baseball usually involves arms and you're arguing against that.
>>
>>69907607

Where is the evidence that most songs include vocals that you are so vehemently touting?

You can't make assertions without proving yourself, you are making the claim.
If you say "it's obvious most songs include vocals" I'm gonna screech.
>>
>>69907607
>The ratio of songs with vocals as opposed to just instrumental
That ratio is not nearly as one-sided as you think it is.
The voice is nothing but the most popular instrument, nothing more, nothing less.
>>
>>69907655
I don't play the game where people on 4chan don't back up their assertions and arguments without sources and expect others to.

>>69907661
I agree.
>>
>>69907655
with*
>>
>>69907607
>I'm just saying that the human voice is used in most songs.
and i'm just saying that arms are used in most baseball games.

i'm not arguing against that. i'm the one who said it originally, look at my post. i'm arguing against the assertion that baseball is primarily about arms.

you're moving the goalposts again. i can't believe i just wasted this much time arguing with someone as mentally deficient as you.

i'm done. have fun being an idiot.
>>
>>69907720
Take a moment to consider that you're probably just braindead and can't follow an argument.
>>
>>69907607
>No, because I'm saying that playing baseball usually involves arms and you're arguing against that.

Wtf man. You literally just reversed what he was saying.
>>
>>69903299
LOL UR RIGHT PLEBS AND NORMIES ARE SO WEIRD LETS TALK ABOUT IT AND LAUGH LMAO
>>
>>69907752
No, I'm saying that most music involves singing. He sperged out and rage quit anyway.
>>
Most normies I know listen exclusively to songs without vocals i.e. bleeps and bloops
>>
>>69907763
spotted the pleb
>>
>>69906776
Then white people invented instruments and the shit got good
>>
>>69907882
LMAO NORMIES AMIRITE XD
>>
what do the normies of the normies (people who would mock normies for being losers) listen to
>>
>>69907979
probably avant-jazz with a touch of pitbull
>>
>>69907979

Radiohead, Death Grips, Tame Impala, maybe MF Doom

Stuff that just sits on the border of being radiocore
>>
>>69903299
WHEN DO THEY STOP TUNING THEIR INSTRUMENTS?
>>
>>69903299
what's the name of this anime tho? google is not helping and i don't keep up with new animu as of lately.
>>
>>69906124
Take a chill pill champ. Go outside for a while
>>
>>69908638
it looks like that one girl from kill la kill which is a booby anime
>>
>>69906685
Autistic unjustified elitism itt
>>
>>69908999
He's right though.
>>
>>69908920
mako from kill la kill
>>
>>69906442
This may be true for certain types of classical music or for show-off / shitty guitar virtuoso bands.
The most basic reason we enjoy music is because it stems emotion, even given 0 knowledge about technicality.
Don't tell me emotion comes from technical knowledge, or you will not be able to explain 3 year old kids having fun and dancing to music they absolutely don't understand technically.
>>
>>69909799
You can enjoy something without understanding it, that's what plebeians do.
To fully understand and enjoy it at its fullest you have to analyze it.
>>
>>69909827
On the other hand, however, the technicality aspects and overanalysis may take over the abstraction and emotion inputs in which you are losing yourself to; as if in a movie you start analyzing camera work and scene changes instead of focusing on the movie in an unbiased way. This may take away from the enjoyment of the artistic journey. If on the other hand you enjoy music mostly because of its technical aspects, of course it may bring you more enjoyment.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.