[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>album that's supposed to be the birth of heavy metal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

>album that's supposed to be the birth of heavy metal
>sounds so campy, cheesy, and like something recorded in a basement with a portable tape recorder

Uh...
>>
Only idiots would believe this is the birth of heavy metal
>>
You know that shit was recorded 40 years ago. That's a long time, man.
>>
Did his bandmates know Rob was gay back then?
>>
>>69877724
They did.

I agree the production was crap, but that's always been a problem with metal. It's almost a law that metal albums must have terrible mixing.
>>
File: 7hPCFce.png (516KB, 700x697px) Image search: [Google]
7hPCFce.png
516KB, 700x697px
i love this album, anon, but can agree that the production sucks. have you tried their "live" album?
>>
This was the album that made Dave Mustaine pick up a guitar.

"I was listening to [Sad Wings of Destiny] one day and my brother-in-law punched me in the face. So I decided to get into playing metal to get back at him."
>>
>>69877641
*dabs*
>>
>>69877776
Judas Priest - Going Mental On The Oriental
>>
>>69877776
>overdubbed shit
>live album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOxnqNjDBIU

Anyway, here's live Genocide. This version completely annihilates the studio one.
>>
Crappy production is metal. Glossy production is gay.
>>
File: 640px-Robert_Christgau_08.jpg (20KB, 640x425px) Image search: [Google]
640px-Robert_Christgau_08.jpg
20KB, 640x425px
Judas Priest:

[Meltdown, 1970s]

[Everything Rocks and Nothing Ever Dies, 1990s]
>>
>>69877874
mmmuh bl00z mmmmuh punk rawk
>>
Christgau is an idiot, but he's not totally wrong since Priest did have to Americanize and become more rock-and-roll to get popular here.
>>
>>69877641
KK Downing was all over Sad Wings, but his role in the band started diminishing from SAS onward.
>>
>>69878000
>>69877906
>>69877874
He's a man of extremely limited tastes, only likes short, basic 4/4 rock that you can dance to.
>>
>>69878046
Dude was always killer as a live performer, but when it comes to songwriting and technical skill as a guitarist, he was no match for Glenn Tipton.
>>
The first Rolling Stone Album Guide from 1978 describes Judas Priest's debut record Rocka Rolla as being "For lovers of stolen Zeppelin riffs only." and then goes on to give Sad Wings and Sin After Sin one star each.

The second RSAG from 1983 gives nine straight Priest albums one star each.
>>
>birth of heavy metal
>Black Sabbath was steadily releasing albums since 1970
>pentagram was also around since the early 70's
>>
>>69878161
Whaddya want? Professional critics are all a hivemind group of Bohemian hipsters who think only the Clash and the Stooges are "real" rock and roll.
>>
>>69878163
Weren't Sabbath washed up drug addicts by the late 70s?
>>
>>69877641
Many influential albums are plagued with poor production.

Bands only really start to have good production once they're past their prime.
>>
>>69878258
>Bands only really start to have good production once they're past their prime

If you mean Metallica, then yeah.
>>
>>69878268
>Metallica
>good production
>>
>>69878272
That was just what you said. They only started getting good production in the 90s, not on any of their good albums.
>>
>>69877724
He didn't exactly go out of his way to hide it, but the fact that nobody caught on shows how clueless normal people were about gay culture in the 70s-80s.
>>
>>69878223
Hey, they really got their shit together for the Dio era. It was Ozzy that languished at this time.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GShr13m0UZ8

Rob looks like David Bowie here.
>>
>>69878436
Apparently when they did this show, the stage equipment wasn't set up and ready when they got there. In short, they couldn't play because none of the amps and other gear was plugged in. Glenn Tipton recalled that "We were about to lose our tempers and start yelling expletives when the Japanese stagehands all suddenly came out there dressed in white coats. They then proceeded to set up the equipment all neat and businesslike. It was the funniest thing we ever saw." The audience also greeted the band by throwing lots of flowers and confetti on stage.

Only in Japan...
>>
>>69878127
silly question, but how do I tell what solos are Downing's and what's Tipton's?
>>
File: 0001325324.jpg (42KB, 443x336px) Image search: [Google]
0001325324.jpg
42KB, 443x336px
>>69877826

heh
>>
>>69878436
>tfw you will never tour Japan in the 70s with your band
>>
>>69878594
Downing's solos are the more crazy, amelodic stuff and Tipton's have a more structured, classical guitar approach. Also Glenn plays on way more songs including all of the more commercial tracks. I used to have a list of which Priest songs feature which guitarist but I don't have it anymore. I'd put the info on the Wikipedia pages for a couple different Priest albums but it got reverted because "Unsourced and unnecessary detail."

>yfw
>>
>>69878664
>using Wikipedia
>any year after 2008
Shig.
>>
>listening to dadmetal
>>
Gull Records was an indie label desu.
>>
>>69878744
What's wrong with dadmetal?
>>
>>69877680
That's no excuse.
Look up Rudy Van Gelder.
>>
>>69878514
>Only in Japan...
Japan is a magical place
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGJRl-dMa9Y
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.