[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best album you listened to for the first time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 15

File: Rwrockbottom.jpg (252KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Rwrockbottom.jpg
252KB, 600x600px
What's the best album you listened to for the first time this year, that wasn't released this year?
Pic related got into my top 5 of all time pretty quickly
>>
File: 909d52ed.jpg (78KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
909d52ed.jpg
78KB, 500x500px
easily top 3 for me
>>
>>69848985
alifib my larder
>>
difficult question
a few jazz albums come to mind, mainly Mingus's work
Terry Riley's debut
Opus Avantra
I finally got around to listening to village green preservation society, bretty good
I really can't name just one
>>
Twin Fantasy
>>
File: IMG_4751.jpg (43KB, 750x722px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4751.jpg
43KB, 750x722px
>>69848985
Joanna Newsom - Ys
>>
Listened almost exclusively to 2016 music this year, but Kate Bush's Hounds of Love is my answer. Hell of a pop album.
>>
I've been getting into country a lot this year. This obscure old album got a reissue this year that i'm really digging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIZ-HimfmXk
>>
What the fuck, I've just shown my
friend this album for the first time and after we listened he went away for 10 minutes, I checked 4chan I was convinced this post was him. Came back and asked him and he said it wasn't him. I'm spooked
>>
>>69849571
This album gets posted all the time here so not really that surprising. It's pretty much /mu/core.
>>
File: 515RwJjQfQL.jpg (39KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
515RwJjQfQL.jpg
39KB, 500x500px
This dude was awesome
https://youtu.be/19rhIRDs7hw
>>
Why does Scaruffi rate this so highly? It's just boring easy-listening soft-prog lounge muzak?
>>
>>69850547
P L E B
L
E
B
>>
>>69850547
Not really at all.
>>
File: 6403891b.jpg (89KB, 648x576px) Image search: [Google]
6403891b.jpg
89KB, 648x576px
>Sun Kil Moon - Benji

Knew absolutely nothing about it beforehand, was completely and utterly blown away by it.
>>
File: Paul McCartney Ram.jpg (98KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Paul McCartney Ram.jpg
98KB, 500x500px
I've been "saving" the Beatles solo work. But this one is dope as fuck.
>>
File: argus.jpg (150KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
argus.jpg
150KB, 500x500px
someone said it was a fantastic album, so I listened to the first track on spotify.
I was very impressed and then bought it at a local music shop and listened to the rest
absolute god tier
>>
File: Franky Ocean - Chanel N Orange.jpg (14KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Franky Ocean - Chanel N Orange.jpg
14KB, 500x500px
Listened to this to get up on this Frank Ocean hype.

This is now my favorite black person album.
>>
File: bmountain3.jpg (77KB, 456x453px) Image search: [Google]
bmountain3.jpg
77KB, 456x453px
A friend got me turned onto these guys earlier this year, and I like old rock.
>>
>>69850547
>It's just boring easy-listening soft-prog lounge muzak?
Only in the first half. Shit goes next level in the second half. Fits the idea portrayed on the album cover (top half is banal beach scene, bottom half is beautiful underwater stuff) and his personal life at the time (pre-accident vs post-accident.) I do find it frustrating that the second half of the album's so much better than the first, but it does make for a unique listen that works on a thematic level.
>>
File: folder.jpg (263KB, 1401x1413px) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
263KB, 1401x1413px
this record has eluded my grasp until now, becoming holy grail tier in my mind. it didn't disappoint, surprisingly.
>>
The number one would have to be Cold River Songs by Bodychoke, that and Lulu are the only two albums I first heard this year that I've rated 9+

The 8-8.5's of the year are Newfoundland, Satori, Cry, Mundus Subterraneus, Rollercoaster, The Raven, World of Echo and Beaster

There were a fuckload of 7.5's but this was probably one of the best
>>69851858

That said, I raise or lower ratings on subsequent listens if my opinion changes so plenty of albums I first heard in earlier years have risen in rating
>>
File: disintegration.jpg (92KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
disintegration.jpg
92KB, 1000x1000px
>>
>>69848985
Julia Holter - Loud City Song
one of my favorite albums now
>>
File: Y.jpg (178KB, 800x794px) Image search: [Google]
Y.jpg
178KB, 800x794px
This album does appear to feel like it's grating as fuck, and thus kind of a tough listen. But once you get past that, you truly do get what is imo one of the best post-punk records out there. Groovy, visceral, abrasive, and technical all at once.

>>69852012
I love the four albums from Sabbath after the first two. Those are the ones where they truly are a metal band, and I personally feel that they have aged far better than the rest of their discography because of what they offer as heavy, groovy riff centric masterpieces.
>>
>>69851923
Sea Song is great though.
>>
>>69851923
But anon Little Red Riding Hood Hit the Road is the best song on the album.
>>
>>69852280
I'M A THIEF OF FYEEEEEER
>>
File: whitebirch.jpe.jpg (196KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
whitebirch.jpe.jpg
196KB, 700x700px
>>
File: donny hathaway.jpg (69KB, 600x603px) Image search: [Google]
donny hathaway.jpg
69KB, 600x603px
This guy, definitely.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.