[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else get deeply and profoundly disturbed by this album

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

File: 4625.jpg (121KB, 808x808px)
4625.jpg
121KB, 808x808px
Anyone else get deeply and profoundly disturbed by this album when it came out back in the day? Haven't listened to BoC in a while and decided to listen through this all the way again... pretty dark stuff. I also feel it may be the fullest realization of their sound
>>
What's so dark about it?
>>
>>69841673
I wouldn't say Geogaddi is a dark album, sure it's drenched with eeriness, but there's a beautiful ethereal quality to it, it's kind of like watching the world around you obscurely deteriorate in such a mysteriously beautiful way, while you just sit back and admire the disintegration all around you. It's a really beautiful experience, not a haunting one.
>>
It's not dark at all

Just eerie sometimes
>>
Not even a little dark. I've been listening to this one for the past week and I still don't understand the appeal. Can someone please explain it to me?
>>
>>69841673
Listened twice, and still don't understand the ""deep"" dark stuff about it, seems like a generic IDM to me
>>
>>69841673
it's a little eerie because of the samples but honestly it's a pretty chill album, good to listen to while tripping or stoned
>>
It can be pretty scary when in the right atmosphere and state of mind. Anyone who claims it's not "dark" or "creepy" just hasn't experienced that side of it yet.
>>
>>69843786
In the "right" atmosphere and state of mind even Taylor Swift can sound dark
>>69843137
Geogaddi is neither IDM or generic
>>
>>69841673
i think the only creepy song on that album is "You Could Feel The Sky". Everything else is pretty beautiful and mysterious. overall its an amazing record.
>>
It's no all that dark or creepy as long as you ignore the creepy fucking cult brainwashing track and all the other dark shit.
>>
Somebody post the christmas geogaddi.
>>
>>69846002
>>
>>69841673
desu I'm more disturbed by Tomorrow's Harvest than Geogaddi.
>>
>>69844829
>In the "right" atmosphere and state of mind even Taylor Swift can sound dark
good try but no
>>
Gyroscope is the most eerie song I've ever heard. It doesn't sound like something manmade, but it's really beautiful.
>>
>>69846408
It's a great song I wish boards had a more consistent discography
>>
the devil is in the details is kind of creepy, but otherwise it's a very relaxing listen
>>
File: 0651Gns.jpg (92KB, 1024x681px) Image search: [Google]
0651Gns.jpg
92KB, 1024x681px
>>69841673

lol, u wot?

Sure it's a melancholy album, but there's nothing disturbing about it. About as disturbing as it gets is being reminded of Salad Fingers when hearing Beware the Friendly Stranger.
>>
It has my favourite track titles of any album.
>>
>>69841736
Good explanation
>>
>>69841736
Beautiful
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpVTORX_ifk

Beware the Friendly Stranger is pretty spoopy
>>
>>69841855
Canada.
>>
File: 1479991732613.png (208KB, 807x935px) Image search: [Google]
1479991732613.png
208KB, 807x935px
i memba laying on my bed with headphones and drowning myself in this album. definitely their darkest release, although i would say most of their work is sinister, Interestingly enough, the version of the album i listened to had a japanese bonus track and that song completely changed the narrative and feel of the album to a positive, happy ending
>>
>>69841673
Geogaddi is one of my favorite albums, but I've never understood why people say its creepy. Some of the samples are strange, like the numbers station recording in Gyroscope, but only Devil in the Details is inherently creepy.
>>
>>69848069
It's only creepy because it's associated with a shitty shock flash cartoon from the early 2000s.
>>
>>69849915
Yeah, that and the fact that the album announcement was in churches across the US.
>>
>>69849970
What do you mean?
>>
>>69841736
This. I will say that this track did unnerve me when I heard it the first time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TR2IWLvzP4
>>
>>69846564
>>69849887
The Devil in Details is basically BoC making fun of people who think that are satanic messages in certain backward songs
>>
>>69849915
i mean the name itself evokes connotations of perverts and murderers, i think it was intentional
>>
>>69850486
Considering how much backwards audio there is on the album I thought that was just a general theme.
>>
>>69846047
love this, filename an all
>>
I think the entire point of the album is to be subjectively/phenomenologically unsettling, not objectively. In other words, it's not trying to invoke a scary reality like an apocalypse (compare with TH), but the perceptual unsettling quality of mundane reality, especially during adolescence. If you buy into the whole theory of their discog being progressive steps through a person's life, Geogaddi is the album for teenage years, which is characteristically filled with the sort of overblown fear and ominous quality of everyday life that the album plays around with. They aren't trying to ham-fistedly reference Satanic cults in the hidden samples of You Could Feel the Sky, only the Satanic qualities that can be perceived in the everyday when you're in the particular state of mind that accompanies adolescence.

Marcus and Mike talked a lot about ritual and the mindset of being a part of ritual as being a big influence on Geogaddi, but have never implied an explicitly evil nature of ritual, they're only trying to capture the state of being within it. And in a lot of ways, even the most mundane aspects of adolescence are ritualistic in nature. Everything becomes part of coming of age, filled with uncertainties and new experiences thrust upon you, tests and mind-games to transform you. Adolescence in its entirety is nothing more than a state of liminality, and the disorientating eeriness of Geogaddi perfectly captures what it's like to be within that state.
>>
There are many tracks on this album that I could use to unwind or help me fall asleep. But some songs on it that I can't listen to alone in a dark room. The Devil is in The Details is the creepiest by far. I feel like I'm trapped somewhere in Hell with insect wings flapping around my head. And then there's a voice instructing me to meditate. I feel like it's as if she's trying to relax my mind so she can posses my body.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.