[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"Rock is finally dead. The death of rock was not a natural

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 198
Thread images: 18

File: Gene Simmons.jpg (29KB, 624x351px) Image search: [Google]
Gene Simmons.jpg
29KB, 624x351px
"Rock is finally dead. The death of rock was not a natural death, it was murdered. But rock didn't die from old age, it died because people got to the point of not wanting to pay for it. No one appreciates the hard work that goes into making an album anymore, or the idea that artists deserve to be financially compensated for their efforts. File sharing and illegal downloading killed the industry. White, upper middle class suburban kids who grew up with this sense of entitlement, that they deserve to have access to something and not pay for it."

"It's very sad for new bands. My heart goes out to them. They just don't have the chance. If you play guitar, it's almost impossible. I believe the pinnacle of popular music was from 1958 until about 1983. Hundreds of amazing artists came along during that time. Since then, pretty much nothing. I believe Tame Impala, who my son turned me on to, are one of the only fresh, original bands to come along since 2000. The craft is gone. Where's the next 'Dark Side of the Moon'? The only artists who make it big today are Top 40 acts, and most of the touring bands are half old guys like me."
>>
i really hate his hair
>>
>>69838216
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XMU_3o5RRs
he a qt
>>
>>69838227
It's one of the strangest hairstyles I've ever seen. He literally doesn't know what to do with it.
>>
Why does he put 1983 as his arbitrary cutoff point? Exactly what happened that year?
>>
>a jewish businessman who made a living from selling a gimmick carnival act thinks he knows what rock music is
>>
>>69838515
they started to play black music on mtv
>>
>>69838515
>1983=R.I.P. music goodbye...
>>
>>69838515
Last time Kiss produced a hit single.
>>
>>69838541
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbiFkS4XwG8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw5-pGKpRHk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wAo-LAZlkc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjMYTRJxXOQ

Admittedly a pretty good carnival act in their day.
>>
>>69838216
good
>>
>>69838625
KISS is trash lmao
>>
File: 1480453570484.jpg (18KB, 250x262px) Image search: [Google]
1480453570484.jpg
18KB, 250x262px
>>69838625
>cites Dressed to Kill as "good"

hi kissposter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SAMaM4o9gs
>>
>>69838625
>Admittedly a pretty good carnival act in their day.
No different than billion other garage rock bands made by college buddies in the 70s.
>>
>>69838644
delete your account.
>>
1910 - music started
1920-50 - classical music
1960-70 - golden age of music for old singers
1980 - the age of rock rebels + goth/punk
1990 - height of hip hop, 2pac, need i say more?
2000 - music is still good
2001-06 - music is changing
2007 - phase of akon and some other **** that was forgetful
2008 - some crappy music is starting to appear
2009 - crappy music is spreading, fast
2010 - you gotta be kidding me, justin bieber? realllyyyyyyyyy?
2011 - R.I.P MUSIC
>>
>>69838660
kiss is literally ass music
>>
>>69838655
Room Service is one of the worst opening tracks to a classic rawk album I've ever heard. Paul Stanley's vocal performance in particular is fascinatingly bad.
>>
>>69838655
Wait a bleeding second.

https://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/thread/S69777351#p69779590

This is the samefag from the other day.
>>
>>69838660
kiss is the kind of shit that senile old balding taxi drivers quickly losing their grip on reality think is great
>>
>>69838662
This entire post gave me aids. The later section shits on the former.
>>
>>69838711
>not recognizing 3 year old stale memes on sight
>>
File: homealone.jpg (29KB, 660x350px) Image search: [Google]
homealone.jpg
29KB, 660x350px
>>69838700
It's almost as if...the same posters always post in threads about a particular band/artist!
>>
File: setlist fm.png (65KB, 1503x639px) Image search: [Google]
setlist fm.png
65KB, 1503x639px
I guess the band didn't think Room Service was that good either because this says it was only ever played live 12 times.
>>
>>69838659
Guess you just need to be in the right place at the right time. That and write catchy songs.
>>
>>69838216
>I believe Tame Impala, who my son turned me on to, are one of the only fresh, original bands to come along since 2000.
Imagine being so pleb that you think LAME IMPALA is the only original contemporary band.
>>
>>69838830
that's the only thing he was actually right about
>>
Tame Impala are just pastiche dadrock though.
>>
Gene Simmons is the guy who, once he's driving a Ferrari, forgets he used to ride a bicycle to work.
>>
Nah, rock isn't dead, just his kind of rock.
>>
>>69838711
>This entire post gave me aids. The later section shits on the former.
This entire post gave me aids. The later section shits on the former.
>>
Well meme'd
>>
Kiss are the ultimate apex and summit of dadrock since only fat 45 year old manbabbies like them.
>>
>>69838216
>Tame Impala, who my son turned me on to, are one of the only fresh, original bands to come along since 2000
Coincidentally, his son's comics are also the last fresh, original comics Gene's read since 2000.
>>
They had some good songs on the early albums, but they should have called it quits in 1980.
>>
>>69838980
>>69838703
>>69838685
>>69838655
ITT: Guys with obvious daddy issues because their father used to play a Kiss Greatest Hits CD in the car while driving them to soccer practice
>>
>>69839066
fuck you asshole
>>
Rock died with the end of the protest movement in the early 70s senpai. The apex of rock was at Woodstock.
>>
If rock being dead means that the Def Leppard/Bon Jovi/Poison brand of rock is dead (what Gene is really referring to), then I'll take it.
>>
The Genie has it all wrong. Rock was never about the money. It wasn't even about the art. It's about having fun, street culture, and the youth movement. It isn't universal, it's dependent on the scene. Some bands (Nirvana, Minor Threat, Sublime, Oasis, etc) achieve a measure of universality, but the music is really about the time and place of which it is a product. Pretty much any artist that doesn't come out of a scene and tries to start at universal appeal is trash. Even the ones that get to the top (Nirvana, Oasis) usually become trash once they get there.
>>
If illegal downloading killed music, why didn't it kill pop/rap/country? This is the dumbest logical fallacy I've ever heard.
>>
>>69838662
>1910 - music started

Every time
>>
>>69839399
Were you alive in 1909 to know that there was music then? Didn't think so.
>>
>>69838216
>No one appreciates the hard work that goes into making an album anymore, or the idea that artists deserve to be financially compensated for their efforts.

This is just fucking baffling if you look at the level of quality of the KISS records and the lifestyle Simmons has enjoyed because of them.

If anything Simmons is a walking example of why you should pirate music and tank the industry,
>>
File: 6253294221_204f337d9b.jpg (33KB, 325x221px) Image search: [Google]
6253294221_204f337d9b.jpg
33KB, 325x221px
>>69839376
>Pretty much any artist that doesn't come out of a scene and tries to start at universal appeal is trash

The record industry very early on figured out how to create faux, commercialized buttrock. In fact the Doobie Brothers were probably the first such band.
>>
File: Christgau88f.jpg (24KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
Christgau88f.jpg
24KB, 300x225px
In The Heart of the Young [Atlantic, 1990]

The appalling pall that pop metal casts over 1990's abysmal Hot 100 is a triumph of mass narrowcasting. By carefully downplaying any accident of gender, socioeconomic standing, or subgeneration, it is in theory possible for any passive Caucasian under 25 to consume (in descending order of marginal differentiation) Heart or Jon Bon or Warrant or Cheap Trick or David fucking Cassidy. Winger are Whitesnake with the sexism muted and the facelifts down the road, their feigned vulnerability and youthcult rote masking their will to power. They may stay around a while, they may not. They're so bad they're not even completely terrible. C-

t. he's talking about how bands that try to start at universal appeal are trash
>>
>>69839435
The point is, rock was never dependent on "making it"
As long as there are local scenes still thriving, rock is alive and well.
>>
Kurt Cobain literally ended his own life when he realized that he was on the verge of turning into commercialized product.
>>
>>69839495
Christgau makes me feel stupid.
>>
yeah if you're playing stadiums, chances are you already sold out
>>
>>69838216
REEEEEEE WHY ARE PEOPLE PLAYING DIFFERENT INSTRUMENTS OTHER THAN A DRUM SET AND A GUITAR.

I CAN'T INNOVATE, BUT IT'S NOT MY FAULT; THE POST.
>>
>>69839539
IDK, but as you can see from that review, he was exposing the truth about buttrock well before any of /mu/ was alive. The record industry was always trying to sell diluted, commercialized product made by watering down what the underground rock scene did. Dee Snider also had a lot to say about how the business works and their ability to hijack legitimate music movements for $$$.
>>
>>69839417
I actually was.
>>
Teenybopper pop is just...teenybopper pop. During the 70s-80s-90s-2000s, the record business decided arbitrarily on making pop centered around the guitar format, nowadays they're not. But the music hasn't changed. Def Leppard and Ratt had no more depth or substance than Taylor Swift.
>>
I think Gene Simmons has forgotten how Kiss started in the underground 70s NYC rock scene which was focused a lot on that whole glam/androgynous look. That was so long ago he probably can't remember anymore about gigging in clubs and living on one sandwich a day. To hear him talk, you'd think he was riding around in a limousine and living in a solid gold mansion since 1973.
>>
>>69839648
>>69839600
Yeah by the time you're riding around in a limousine, you're already a sellout.
>>
That's funny and cute considering him and Paul Stanley have admitted they don't care about the music anymore and are only interested in peddling safe family entertainment/nostalgia at their concerts.
>>
>>69838830
>>69838855
He's right though, Tame Impala are the most original and fresh guitar band since decades
>>
>>69839827
Get off of /mu/, Kevin Parker.
>>
Is this the same guy who said to leave politics out of entertainment or whatever?
>>
>>69839648
yeah and then a record company came and turned them into rockstars which doesn't happen anymore, and that's what he's criticising. You are doomed to play in shitty little clubs in new york forever nowadays.
>>
>>69839947
*a record company in combination with people who bought their albums
>>
>>69838227
It doesn't exist.
>>
>>69839947
But that's all rock was ever really about. He's confusing rock with rockstardom.
>>
Simmons couldn't be more wrong, rock is more alive than ever thanks sites such as bandcamp. Old guy listens only shit that radio plays, and thinks that's all the "rock genre" has to offer.
>>
>>69839947

That was explained in >>69839622. Anyone can be a zillionaire music star nowadays, the problem is he can't figure out why the 1980s method of becoming a zillionaire music star doesn't work in almost 2017.
>>
>>69839904
You can't deny it, name me another band then
>>
>>69838216

Can you be any more jewish than that?
>>
>>69839495
Christgau hits the nail on the head as often as he completely misses it imo. This is an example of him hitting it.
>>
>>69839312
How dare you compare Def Leppard to Poison?
>>
Kanye is the nearest thing I can think of to a modern day rock star and he's never touched a guitar. DESU, being a "rock star" is a concept rather than a particular format of music.
>>
>>69840017
/thread
>>
Did AC/DC ever have any songs like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7isxoTIeYM
>>
>>69840243
Thank God they didn't. Paul Stanley is such a closet case it's not funny.
>>
>>69840330
Aren't all cock rock singers metrosexual if not outright gay?
>>
>>69840330
He's been married a few times and has kids.
>>
I don't like Kiss and this rant does sound like a "back in my day" cliche but he isn't completely wrong. It's a long way to the top if you want to rock and roll and it's even longer now than it used to be.

There is no denying that mainstream music has become more formulaic than it used to be. Many bands that received mainstream success 20-50 years ago wouldn't do it today.

That being said, I think music is as creative as ever. It's just that creative music is less likely to become mainstream and lead to wealth and success like it used to do.
>>
>>69840393
>There is no denying that mainstream music has become more formulaic than it used to be

>mainstream music is more formulaic than it used to be
>more formulaic
This is a troll, right?
>>
>>69840243
"I Was Made For Loving You" is obnoxious as fuck, probably their worst hit.
>>
>>69839538
Kurt Cobain was also on a fuck ton of heroin and was depressed out of his fucking mind
>>
>>69839538
dont u mean MURDERED? ?? ? ? ? ?? ? ?
>>
Mainstream rawk in 1985 was just as much generic commercialized bullshit as anything out today. The good stuff was always underground and you had to listen to college radio to get it, not MTV.

Let's imagine /mu/ existed in 1985. Do you think we'd be talking about Def Leppard, Ratt, and Night Ranger? As if.
>>
>>69839538
lmao
He killed himself because he was a mentally unstable junkie. I guarantee that he never complained about receiving fat paychecks.
>>
>>69840485
Hey, just read some Christgau columns from 1985. He didn't exactly talk about Def Leppard, Ratt, and Night Ranger either. Nobody with any serious interest in music ever gave a shit about anything on an MTV countdown.
>>
>>69840444
I suppose I won't like many more Kiss songs then.
>>
>>69840632
They had some good songs but that's not one of them. Also I agree with that other anon how Gene Simmons put 1983 as his "cutoff" based on the coincidence that their last hit single (Lick It Up) happened that year.
>>
>>69840485
Yeh, as I said, when Kiss were in their prime, the music industry just happened to favor guitar music as their vehicle of choice for sugar coated 12 year old girl pop, today they're not.
>>
>>69840667
>that their last hit single (Lick It Up) happened that year
nah, they still managed to successfully hop on the power ballad train in 1989
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_RKO5ozLVo
>>
>>69840738
Not really. Most of their later career singles didn't last long and were quickly forgotten. LIU is about the most recent song that stayed in the live setlist. If you listen to later Kiss albums, you can tell they were reaching hard for another big stadium shoutalong tune like Rock and Roll All Nite or Lick It Up, but were never able to pull it off again.
>>
>>69840632
Strutter is p good t b h f a m
>>
Read some interviews. Gene and Paul consistently have said over the years that their post-70s albums were shit except for Creatures of the Night and Lick It Up, both of which produced a hit single or two.
>>
Lemme give you an example. Metallica were groundbreaking and innovative only in the early years when they were basically underground. By the time you got to TBA, they were already a sellout band for soccer moms and tween girls.
>>
>>69840485
>Let's imagine /mu/ existed in 1985. Do you think we'd be talking about Def Leppard, Ratt, and Night Ranger? As if.

No, we would not.
>>
>>69840841
On that topic, how did they manage to fix a radio to a dirtbike without you being able to see it? And if the technology exists, why didn't they put it on the bicycle?
>>
Err, doesn't Maroon 5 kind of disprove the notion that mainstream guitar bands are dead?
>>
>>69841069
Maroon 5 _are_ the 2000s/2010s Poison sadly enough. The funny thing is they started out as an alternative band and then sold out in a horrible way.
>>
>>69840849
Well, yeah. Kiss are the kind of band that always relied on a couple of big, dumb, simple arena rock tunes to fill out their setlists and the post-1983 albums just didn't have them.
>>
>>69841217
"Animals" is the worst thing I've ever heard with the possible exception of Five For Fighting--1000 Years.
>>
pop and pop rock music has always been mostly not good, the only difference is youve had 40 years to explore the 70s and 0 years to explore today's music. Obviously you can point out more good songs from many years ago since youve had time to find them
>>
>>69838216
>I'm the dude who sells KISS pinball machines and KISS caskets and the problem with music today is that I'm being robbed of hypothetical money

kill the rich
>>
>>69841586
This is true. Fuck, during Kiss's heyday in the 70s mainstream rawk was horrible bilge like Boston and Foreigner.
>>
>>69838644
this lmao
>>
"Kiss aren't a real rock-and-roll band, they're a comic book band, all face paint and spackles. I remember one time in '76 when our roadies got into a knife fight with their roadies, so I guess we've always kind of hated each other ever since. But we recently met [Gene and Paul] backstage and they're beautiful people. The thing is, Kiss are just all about putting on a show, y'know? When Aerosmith plays, our music is an expression of ourselves and who we are. I mean, there's the big difference between a Joe Perry lick and a Kiss lick. When Kiss plays a lick, do they really mean it?"
>>
File: wtf.png (40KB, 479x591px) Image search: [Google]
wtf.png
40KB, 479x591px
>>69838216
>>69841740
Oh fucking hell, it's the battle of the dadrockers!
>>
>>69841740
I read some early interview with Rob Halford from the 70s where he says the same thing, Kiss are a carnival act and "We're real rock and roll and our music is an expression of who we are" and blah blah blah.
>>
>>69841740
>>69838216
Hey, both bands were a big part of what went into 80s rock.
>>
>>69841845
That is not a compliment, you know.
>>
>>69840039

You mean I have to pick just one band when I could literally name any act? Harsh!
>>
70s Kiss were pretty dangerous and edgy but by the 80s they'd turned into generic shitty hair metal. Lots of artists have cited Kiss as an influence, but only thanks to the first six albums. Just as nobody cares about anything Aerosmith did after 1976.
>>
>>69842139
>Lots of artists have cited Kiss as an influence

Literally none of which were good bands.
>>
Kiss brand rock is garbage anyway. I'm glad it's dead.
>>
>>69842295
Nah, it's not dead, it just comes in new forms like Maroon 5. It might not wear leather pants and a wig, but it lurks among us still and will for as long as there exist 12 year old girls.
>>
>>69842257
Weezer is good and The Replacements are good but every other band probably do suck
>>
Most all of the costumecore metal like GWAR and Slipknot were influenced by Kiss.
>>
>>69838737
There was one time we had a thread about 80s metal, and then a week later a thread about Black Sabbath that somehow ended up almost repeating the same exact sequence of posts and arguments.
>>
>>69842320
>>69842295
This is true btw. Maroon 5 is about the same level as the worst 80s hair metal, just a little less in-your-face. But don't let yourself be fooled, a song like Animals could easily have been on a Dokken or Kiss album circa 1985.
>>
It's pretty funny how 40-something retards/soccer moms on social media will go and link a Dokken or Motley Crue tune and go "LOLremember this boy I miss the 80s when music was gr8" even though that was total slop laughed at by serious music enthusiasts back in the day.
>>
>>69838216
Trust a Jew to whine about not making enough money and blaming white people for it.

Fuck Gene Simmons, he's cancer to the music industry and only cares about making a buck.
>>
>>69843336
Those soccer moms are the fuckers who used to listen to Dokken back in the day.
>>
I'm actually surprised Maroon 5 could get away with a song as obviously sexist as Animals in this day and age because they're white guys and only rappers can do that.
>>
>>69843336
>Motley Crue
Take that back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGRwUJk8bnA
>>
>>69843634
>posting the one album where they were actually heavy

Good one. Nikki Sixx secretly always wanted the band to be Journey. Try some of the deep cuts on "Too Fast For Love" like "Starry Eyes" and you can see what I mean. They did one album with entirely heavy rock tracks and then on "Theater of Pain" go right back to slushy ballads like "Home Sweet Home".
>>
Lmao I bet you queerbaits wear skinny jeans as well.
C O L D G I N
>>
>>69843749
Oh that's right, metalfags are so insecure with their sexuality that they can't enjoy a kick ass power ballad. Come on, fag, even their later hits were heavy if commercial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2XdmyBtCRQ
>>
did Kiss invent black metal?
>>
>>69843497
>>69843336
>>69843192
>being so wrapped up in 4chan memes that you can't enjoy dokken

Don has more talent in his big toe than you nerds have in your entire body. I'm LMAOing at your life.
>>
File: christgau1med.jpg (18KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
christgau1med.jpg
18KB, 400x266px
Shout at the Devil [Elektra, 1984]

It's hardly news that this platinum product is utter dogshit even by heavy metal standards; under direct orders from editors who don't know Iron Maiden from Wynton Marsalis, my beleaguered colleagues on the dailies have been saying so all year, and every insult goes into the press kit. Still, I must mention Mick Mars's dork-fingered guitar before getting to the one truly remarkable thing about this record: a track called "Ten Seconds To Love" in which Vince Neil actually seems to boast about how fast he can ejaculate (or as the lyric sheet puts it, "cum"). And therein, I believe, lies the secret of their commercial appeal--if you don't got it, flaunt it. Follow-up: "Pinkie Prick." D

Decade of Decadence '81-'82 [Elektra, 1991] :(
>>
The Rolling Stone Magazine review for SATD in 1983 said it was disappointing and not heavy at all, it almost felt like a product of MTV's marketing department synthesized in a laboratory.
>>
>>69844162
No Love Deep Web [Third Worlds download EP, 2012]
So maybe how you explain these guys is this: the Gravediggaz grow up--or get serious, which is not necessarily the same thing. Either way, who knows how they'll keep on keeping on--nonstop rage wears out fast even when it's mixed with the humor obsessives like this deny themselves. But on their third album in 18 months, independently released online with an obscene downloadable cover because the major they suckered into a contract refused to put it out so soon after the last one, synth maestro Flatlander adjusts one of the most compelling aural signatures in electronic beat music. There's more space in these tracks, and unlikely hints of sweetening both orchestral and distaff that come as laugh moments whether the lunatics running the asylum think they're funny or not. Their weak spot is sex, a theme that imbued with their rage occasions misogynist spew crueler and stupider than their parricidal spew. Were they really to grow up they'd sidestep it altogether. Or else get funnier as if they meant it. A-
Who the fuck is this guy?
>>
Motley Crue were totally shameless fad riders.

>early 80s
>copy NWOBM
>late 80s
>copy Bon Jovi
>90s
>copy grunge bands
>>
>>69844257
Christgau admittedly has gotten softer and less critical with age.
>>
>>69839538
>releases one of the most radio-friendly alt rock albums in history
>didn't want to become famous
lmao
>>
>>69844964
Nirvana were still less commercial than the likes of Alice in Chains and they never played stadiums, also Kurt tried to get away from it on In Utero.
>>
File: killedrockmusic.jpg (158KB, 1320x931px) Image search: [Google]
killedrockmusic.jpg
158KB, 1320x931px
this. Dave Grohl. Instead of chasing his glory days, he should have had some class. He should have taken his money and connections and became a producer. He should have opened the door to struggling rock bands that will never be heard, BECAUSE HE WAS BLOCKING THE FUCKING DOOR WITH HIS FUCKING EGO!

FUCK HIM! .........sorry bitter
>>
>>69838662
>1910 - music started
kek
i mean i don't listen to anything older than ~1940 either but come on
>>
File: 1482361604948.jpg (279KB, 1599x1194px) Image search: [Google]
1482361604948.jpg
279KB, 1599x1194px
>>69838216
>Rock is finally dead. The death of rock was not a natural death, it was murdered.
wrong and right. MAINSTREAM rock music is dead, it was killed by record companies wanting to make more money and the best way to do so is to produce radio friendly inoffensive pop music and over produced rap albums.

rock music is still very much alive in the underground scene with a lot of local bands playing music live in clubs and bars.
>>
>>69846307
It's an old meme from a shitty youtube post
>>
>>69846156

I can't even tell what the fuck you are talking, about are you fucking drunk?

Dave Grohl. . . is responsible for turning of the tide towards other forms of music besides guitar rock. . . because he started a massively popular rock band . . . instead of becoming a producer? What?
>>
>>69838216

Where's the next "Dark Side of the Moon"

It's called To Pimp A Butterfly you out of touch old businessman. KISS suck balls anyway.
>>
File: pissedlois.gif (819KB, 400x275px) Image search: [Google]
pissedlois.gif
819KB, 400x275px
>>69846406
No he created the most generic radio friendly garbage EVER FUCKING MADE! "Bands" like the fucking White Stripes didn't help either.

He could have made a positive contribution. Problem is he felt so butthurt that he lost his limelight that he put all his resources and connections into promoting his own shitty music. So that he could give himself a big pat on the back, and tell himself how great he is.

again FUCK HIM!
>>
Foo Fighters stopped being any good after TCATS.
>>
>>69846433
stop
>>
>>69846341
>MAINSTREAM rock music is dead, it was killed by record companies wanting to make more money and the best way to do so is to produce radio friendly inoffensive pop music

Dude...that's all mainstream rock ever was.
>>
lol people didnt buy music in the past because they "appreciated the art", they did because that was the only way they could have gotten the music. not to mention most of the money from buying records go to the corporations anyway, most artists get money from touring. what a total idiot with shit hair. also fuck rock "music"
>>
>>69844089
Thy unironically influenced Mercyful Fate a lot, so in a way they indirectly did
>>
>>69847011
Not him but what is the modern DSotM?
>>
>>69838662
I really want to put 1910 - music started on a shirt
>>
File: 1314780886004.png (313KB, 1348x1172px) Image search: [Google]
1314780886004.png
313KB, 1348x1172px
>>69838216
I really really really want to fuck his daughter. thicc as fuck
>>
>>69839240
such shit pleb taste it hurts
>>
>>69848344
You know GS and his wife had an open marriage, that might not even be his daughter.
>>
>>69838778
and have a stupid gimmicky brand
>>
>"the pinnacle of popular music was from 1958 until about 1983.... Since then, pretty much nothing."
That's like saying "physical science peaked 1650-1904. Since then, pretty much nothing."

and all that illegal downloading had done is remove hacks like Gene Simmons from the gene pool (NPI). any cultural change that makes it so people like Gene Simmons no longer think making music is worth their time is a change I support.

also has this guy literally not listened to music for 33 years, how can you even think this

AND THE 70S WERE ALREADY THE DECADE WHEN THAT KIND OF ROCK MUSIC DIED, WHAT DO YOU THINK PUNK MUSIC WAS

HOW CAN YOU EVEN BE THIS OUT OF TOUCH
>>
Gene Simmons is so out of touch, last Sunday he showed up to shuffleboard club with his consarned croquet set!

I meam jiminy christmas Gene.
>>
>>69847030
I don't think so. Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc. are less inoffensive than most of today's radio pop.
>>
>>69851337
in what sense? contemporary pop is pretty racy actually, especially poppy hip hop. I'd argue at least as far as sex and drugs go LZ, PF etc are much tamer than what is on the radio now
>>
File: 1481250900178.png (177KB, 436x361px) Image search: [Google]
1481250900178.png
177KB, 436x361px
>>69842257
>Lots of artists have cited Kiss as an influence

Wasn't Cobain a mega Kiss fan? Pretty sure i've read that multiple times.
>>
>>69838216
>White, upper middle class suburban kids who grew up with this sense of entitlement, that they deserve to have access to something and not pay for it

Yeah, because all black kids pay for the music they listen to.
>>
>>69838980
>only fat 45 year old manbabbies like them.

I'm a fat 45 year old manbabby but I think that Kiss mostly sucks.
>>
>>69838216
w2c hoodie?
>>
>>69839240

If it wasn't for punk and punk-influenced genres rock music would have died in the mid 70s.
>>
>>69852593
Rivers Cuomo was
>>
>>69838216
>File sharing and illegal downloading killed the industry.
>implying most profit from albums goes to the artist
>implying record labels don't rob artists blind under the guise of "promotion"
>implying record companies didn't have the chance to adapt to the changing industry

In all things, the name of the game is adapt or die. Record companies chose die, and now artists can independently release their music, tour, and create their own merch without greedy jews taking the majority of their money.
>>
File: hi_ladys.jpg (6KB, 178x191px) Image search: [Google]
hi_ladys.jpg
6KB, 178x191px
>>69838216
>Tame Impala, who my son turned me onto
>my son
Oh so he grew up when rock was becoming popular and hasn't yet realized he turned out exactly like the people in the generation before his who thought rock was the devils music?

>I believe the pinnacle of popular music was from 1958 until about 1983.
>Hundreds of amazing artists came along during that time
So the apex of musical creativity was reached using a guitar, bass, drums sometime in the 70s?
Give me a fucking break
>>
>>69841650
I will not allow Boston to be slandered this way with no protest.
>>
Rock music is dying because it's all based around guitars. Where's my Randy Newman rock band.
>>
File: 01.png (14KB, 800x473px) Image search: [Google]
01.png
14KB, 800x473px
>>69838216

>Rock is finally dead

No

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ere2Mstl8ww
>>
It's strange. The internet is the best and worst thing to happen to bands in a long fucking time.

Piracy didn't kill mainstream rock music. Not having to rely on physical media killed it. Back in the day you'd have to work your ass off in your local area just for a spot in a pub that 8 other bands wanted and if you were popular enough you might be able to afford a shitty demo tape to shop around to labels/clubs. Then you had to hope a small label would take a chance on you and maybe get you a record in stores that had a chance of catching people's eyes if it had a cool looking cover. It worked to thin the herd because the vast majority of bands failed at one of these steps and packed it in. You had managers, producers, labels, nightclub owners and more trying their hardest to get you selling records.

It doesn't work the same anymore. There's no path to success. Anyone can say "fuck it" and throw a track onto bandcamp, or soundcloud or itunes. There's no career path to get mainstream anymore, now anyone who ever wanted to write a song doesn't have to fight for it, they just have to upload it online and they're rockstars. There are easily dozens more artists and bands today than in any previous generation and they're all taking attention away from each other so no one really breaks out.

That's not a bad thing for us as consumers because we have access to more music and creativity than ever before. People who used to only have a rough demo of 4 tracks that never got played anywhere outside of their home town can now put that shit online for the world to see and get a few fans that inspires them to keep going. We're actually living in a golden age of music where we're spoilt for choice. It does mean that we've seen the end of big new stadium acts that'll go 4x Platinum.
>>
>>69838662
youtube comment level
>>
>>69838515
Metal happened. And soon after that, hair metal happened...
>>
>>69842257
>implying Melvins sucks
>>
>>69838711
>>69846307
>>69857546
The sheer newfaggotry of this is almost disconcerting.
>>
>>69852593
Pretty much everyone Cobain's age was because Kiss were the first exposure to rock that many of them had.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (75KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
75KB, 1280x720px
>>69838216
>ing artists came along during that time. Since then, pretty much nothing. I believe Tame Impala, who my son turned me on to, are one of the only fresh, original
>>
>>69846570
What is wrong with radio friendly music?
>>
If this old kike really wants there to be new upcoming talent because he's that worried about the future of rock, he should take them on tour with Kiss and promote them, not tour with other geriatric douches like Def Leppard and Ratt.
>>
I dont disagree with his point that rock is dead, but blaming it on torrenting is stupid. Piratebay didnt suck the talent out of artists. Gene Simmons is just a greedy jew and kiss is just a novelty band. I could count the amount of good songs they made on one hand.

Maybe torrenting is responsible for the mainstream music industry not wanting to take risks and only promoting safe shitty bands they know will get radio play but their arent any ''dark side of the moon's'' coming from the underground either.
>>
>>69858630
How could you have DSOTM come out today? That shit was a product of its time.
>>
Rock isn't dead, buttrock is dead.
>>
He's like the Donald Trump of music
Outspoken and retarded
>>
>>69858776
>>>/tumblr/

>>69858626
Nah, he gave up a long time ago and resigned Kiss to being a shitty nostalgia act.
>>
his hair is steel wool
>>
>>69838515
It was the last time Kiss was on the billboards
>>
>gene simmons
Literally who?
>>
>>69856512
It didn't kill hip-hop or country though.
>>
Here's how their discography breaks down:

>S/T, HTH, DTK
Low budget, raw 70s hard rock. Fun as fuck.
>Destroyer, R&RO, LG
Here's where they explode into rock stars and have lots of money. These albums are sleeker and poppier.
>Dynasty
Tries to move into yet a further pop direction but most of the songs are ass.
>Unmasked
One-off power pop album that was almost totally ignored in the US. Peter Criss officially replaced by Eric Carr.
>Music From The Elder
Weird prog-style soundtrack to a movie that was never released. Interesting though.
>Creatures of the Night
Vinnie Vincent replaces Ace Frehley, the band goes back to heavy rock, but still fail to get any attention in the US
>Lick It Up
Lighter, more pop rock sound. The band takes off their makeup and reinvents themselves for the 80s.
>Animalize, Asylum
Mid-80s glam metal cheese at its worst. Bruce Kulick replaces Vinnie Vincent.
>Crazy Nights
Bon Jovi ripoff album with keyboards. Uggghhh...
>Hot In The Shade
The band goes back to a more hard rock sound, also the longest LP they've made at 15 tracks.
>Revenge
Sort of COTN 90s edition, but a little too much filler. Eric Carr had died of cancer and was replaced by Eric Singer on the skins.
>Carnival of Souls
Weird af album the record label refused to release where Kiss channels their inner Alice in Chains.
>Psycho Circus
Reunion album with Frehley and Criss. Mostly garbage, plus the two don't even play on most of the album.
>Sonic Boom, Monster
Total shit garbage. Do not listen to.
>>
>>69858981
neither niggas nor rednecks know how to use the internet
>>
>>69855775
>royal memes
>>
>>69855775
Royal Blood are ersatz dadrock, they've been endorsed by Jimmy Page himself.
>>
Dubs and Gene Simmons dies in the next year
>>
>>69838980
The only guy i know that likes Kiss is a 39 year old ManBaby
>>
PIRACY IS STEALING MEME

By that logic childrens should not accept gifts from santa claus (unless its made by santa claus, so no playstation, hot wheels, gi joe, minecraft cd.....), because he is basically pirating stuff
>>
>>69839538
Kurt was an unstable Junky and an insufferably pretentious asshole. The dude thought he was a genius and that everyone around him was a pleb dragging him down. He would always talk shit behind Dave Grohls drumming behind his back but then would always deny it when Dave confronted him. Kurt killed himself because he was an impossible to please, full of himself asshole.
>>
Peter Criss was a garbage drummer desu.
>>
>>69847785
BTBAM - Colors
>>
Gene Simmons charisma literally scares me

I honestly believe he could still fuck any single woman on the planet if he wanted to
>>
>>69838662
I WUZ BORN IN THE RONG GENERASHUN
>>
>>69840738
This is probably the worst power ballad of all time though.
>>
>>69838662
Lmao this gives me memories of /mu/ 3 years ago. That meme was one of the funniest. Good times. Also:
>Post-avant jazzcore is better than progressive dreamfunk
Thread posts: 198
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.