[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What 2010s albums will be considered "indie essentials"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

File: noise fans.png (247KB, 476x476px) Image search: [Google]
noise fans.png
247KB, 476x476px
What 2010s albums will be considered "indie essentials" in the same way ITAOS, Funeral, MPP, etc. are? Disregard whether or not it's /mu/core.

MVotC? This Is Happening? Strange Mercy?
>>
Lonerism
>>
>>69823634
>>69823664
These are all correct
Along with Get to Heaven
>>
>>69823634
Strange Mercy is definitely going to be an indie essential of the 10's. I think some other likely contenders are the suburbs, halcyon digest and giles corey.
>>
The Idler Wheel, Benji. I'd love to say Halcyon Digest but I feel like that's forgotten.
>>
>>69823634
Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing
>>
Knife Man
Twin Fantasy
Xiu Xiu's new album
>>
>>69823634
lonerism
mvotc
db - black metal
ariel pink pom pom
grimes - AA
john maus - we the piltovers
carseat headrest - tf
sun kil moon - benji
>>
I've thought about this. Like, if I were to make a documentary about indie music (whatever "indie" even means these days) in the 2000s, the albums I'd feel obligated to cover are pretty obvious. Kid A, Is This It, Funeral, Illinoise, Turn On The Bright Lights, MPP, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Sound of Silver, For Emma Forever Ago, Fleet Foxes, The Boxer, etc. Albums that had a lot of critical success + enough cultural impact (at least among hipsters) to stay in the conversation for quite awhile after its release. But with 2010s I draw a blank. Like, MVotC, do people even talk or care about that album anymore, only 3 years later? I don't know.
>>
>>69823634
>>69823664
Are you joking? These are all mainstream poptimist Reddit shit. Especially tame impala. They will be remembered in the same way joke 80's one hit wonders are. They're insincere corporatized fads.

The only artist who will be remembered ITT so far is Ariel Pink but his best work wasn't even done in this decade
>>
>>69823946
>funeral
without you forgot it in people there would be no funeral
>>
>>69823990
Ok, so what would you like to contribute?
>>
>>69824019
For sure, that was just a general list off the top of my head. BSS would have to be featured.
>>
>>69824022
Nothing. The 2010's has been a dry well for pop music. Nothing but tame impala burger records garbage, shit surf punk, and nu pop rnb. Literal trash. There are several underground albums of value though, but they aren't popular.

I miss when /mu/ was elitist. It didn't permit bottom feeders like you who think p4k core like radiohead is art
>>
>>69824051
>I miss when /mu/ was elitist. It didn't permit bottom feeders like you who think p4k core like radiohead is art
Old /mu/ was mostly just metal, and then it switched to Pitchfork and Radiohead worship immediately. I've been here since day 1 newfag.
>>
>>69824075
>Old /mu/ was mostly just metal
>old /mu/
Since when was Tegan and Sara metal?
>>
The Classics Have Just Changed with the times. "Indie" isn't as buzzy or relavent anymore, not to say the quality has fallen...There are many fantastic indie releases within the last 5 years. But just think about the Classics of this Decade:

MBDTF
Have One On Me
The Suburbs
Bon Iver, Bon Iver
Lonerism
GKMC
Bloom
Channel Orange
Reflektor
Random Access Memories
Modern Vampires
TPaB
Art Angels
Lemonade
Blonde

I hate like half these albums, but this is what the indie kids like these days, it's just not "Indie" in a Rock sense
>>
>>69824100
By old /mu/ I mean like 2007~ not 2011.
>>
The Age of Adz
Will probably go down as Sufjan's Kid A
>>
File: 1474256841263.jpg (102KB, 633x640px) Image search: [Google]
1474256841263.jpg
102KB, 633x640px
>>69823634
indie rock - tame impala is shit but probably lonerism, probably mvotc and this is happening like you listed
indie folk - really pray that benji will be, mark deserves it. definitely something from sufjan if he keeps making folk, or if he goes poppier then carrie & lowell. something from bon iver.
indie pop - probably some st vincent work, if she releases nothing better than strange mercy that will be it. probably some crap from beach house, teen dream likely.
>>
Dunno how everyone is forgetting, but:

Titus Andronicus - The Monitor
>>
this thread just proves /mu/ doesn't know shit about music besides what their college radio plays and what pitchfork shits down their throat

Embarrassing thread
>>
I generally agree what's been posted ITT already, I'd add:

Ceres & Calypso and the Deep Time
Helplessness Blues
Melody's Echo Chamber
Sea When Absent
>>
>>69824419
you're describing what "essential indie music" is which is what this thread asked for.
>>
>>69824419
>>69824051

>literally everything sucks fuck you plebs
>refuse to name even a single album

scared the plebs are going to shit all over your taste?
>>
>>69824644
here u gohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgRUHIeaKOk
>>
>>69824672
isn't this just someone pitchfork "shits down our throats?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlPNx6jLqaQ
>>
>>69824885
thats from his sellout album desu
>>
DIIV
>>
>>69824672
>2007
did you miss the basic concept of this thread?
>>
>>69825061
the album itself came out in 2011
>>
>>69825083
https://www.discogs.com/Omar-Souleyman-Highway-To-Hassake-Folk-And-Pop-Sounds-Of-Syria/master/133245
>>
>>69823634
None, the web2.0 has killed the purpose of indie essentials.
>>
>>69825145
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpmU5WpXSCE
>>
>>69825287
of course you're a varg cuck
>>
Have one on me
>>
>>69823946
>if I were to make a documentary about indie music (whatever "indie" even means these days) in the 2000s, the albums I'd feel obligated to cover are pretty obvious... But with 2010s I draw a blank

Well yeah, you wouldn't make a documentary about grunge set in the 2000s would you?
>>
>>69824164
>The Suburbs
>Reflektor
Arcade Fire peaked with Neon Bible.
they are a shadow of their former glory.
>>
File: 1477129297624.png (288KB, 497x333px) Image search: [Google]
1477129297624.png
288KB, 497x333px
>>69824395
i'm the post above yours, i have no clue how retarded i could have been to forget that, one of my 10/10's for sure. absolute classic.
>>
>>69824672
>heh i'm so unique unlike these radiohead kids
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.