[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else here rarely listen to the words of songs? I listen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: rapper.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
rapper.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
Anyone else here rarely listen to the words of songs? I listen to music almost all day but find even some of my favorite songs I don't know the words or find myself realizing what the songs about after hearing it the millionth time. Help me break this bad habit, /mu/.
>>
99% of lyrics are trash. Don't worry about it.
>>
>>69818092
That's how I've always felt, but people seem to have their bands and songs that perfectly describe them and their moods, life events, whatever. I don't feel like I have that. Am I weird or are most people who think that way disingenuous? Just seems like I'm missing out on a fundamental experience most people get out of music.
>>
I barely listen to lyrics either OP, especially the first time I listen to a song/album. Typically I just listen to vocal melodies along with the rest of the music and look up the lyrics when I listen to it a second or third time
>>
>>69818253
Yea, I used to do that. Now I don't even bother because it will inevitably ruin the song for me when I realize what the songs actually about. I've started to listen to more electronic and post-rock(?) for that reason.
>>
>>69818215
They aren't being disengenous, its just that most lyrics are pretty vague and open to interpetation, and even when they're not people still identify with them. I spent my teenage years (american middle class) rocking out to, and identifying with british punk about being on the dole and soccer riots because they had the anger and dissatisfaction I craved

Anyhow, why even try and break the habit OP?

I focus on lyrics before music (still listen to instrumentals and indecipherable lyric songs though) and don't even give a fuck how technical the music is, as long as I like it.

Just go with what you like
>>
>>69818326
>why even try and break the habit OP
Idk just like I said, felt like maybe I wasn't getting the same depth of enjoyment from music that others are. I agree with the way you identified with the music you listened to though. I hear old stuff I listened to and think 'oh yea I was doing x while I was listening to this' and not necessarily 'this song is about x and makes me feel y' if that makes any sense
>>
Have you tried not browsing /mu/ while listening? Helps loads
>>
>>69818215
Judging by the picture you've posted - I have to agree. Listening to that band's lyrics is pointless.
>>
>>69818215
I do a bit of both.

Usually I don't pay attention to lyrics (unless it's rap), but sometimes certain parts stick out to me and I remember them. Occassionally they may give nuggets of wisdom that help you out or let's you not feel so alone in certain situations.
>>
>>69818438
Good point, and I have been making more of an effort to be present while I'm listening. It's hard for me to do nothing but sit and listen through an album.
>>
>>69818422
When I was in high school most people couldn't even enjoy music without lyrics, many didn't even recognize music as music without lyrics, so don't worry about how "disingenuous" they're being
>>
I only listen to rap lyrics.
>>
>listen to album
>don't realize it's in Italian until I'm 3 minutes in
heh

I feel the same way op
>>
It depends on the type of music, for something like rap lyrics are essential so I find myself paying more attention to them
>>
>>69818478
Right, and I'd think most people are still that way. That's why I felt like I was missing out on something.
>>
>>69818503
That's interesting. I honestly notice country lyrics the most, maybe they're less vague or I can just relate to the topics more; but I listen to more classic and alt rock. What do you get out of rap lyrics?
>>
>>69818574
Country and rock still sound engaging without paying attention to lyrics whereas rap is just a loop with chanting sounds if you don't focus. It kind of demands paying attention. There's creative internal rhyme schemes and simile punchlines to reward you.
>>
>>69818082
English is not my mother tongue, so I have to really concentrate to understand the lyrics to most songs.
>>
>>69818092
If 99% of the lyrics you hear are trash you're listening to shitty music.
>>
Lol guys watch this !!! hahhah 24 carrots in the air lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV3OG4PBoas
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.