[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Now that the dust has settled, who was actually better, the Beatles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 142
Thread images: 13

File: 1471297515843.jpg (129KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1471297515843.jpg
129KB, 1024x768px
Now that the dust has settled, who was actually better, the Beatles or the Beach Boys?
>>
I prefer Beach Boys
>>
>>69799284
Hard to say
Pet sounds is clearly one of the greatest albums ever made. but the beatles changed music forever
>>
>>69799284
After that lovely picture, the Beach Boys no doubt
>>
The Beatles are more consistently amazing but the Beach Boys have several albums better than the Beatles
>>
Pleb: The Beatles
Contrarian: The Beach Boys
Patrician: The Beatles
>>
>>69799284
Sad how that cat will probably outlive Brian
>>
File: brian.jpg (508KB, 1280x1707px)
brian.jpg
508KB, 1280x1707px
>>69799772
sad how this chicken will probably outlive brian :/
>>
The Beach Boys had one solid album. But it was better than any Beatles album.
>>
>>69799284
I really like both, but if you don't say The Beatles then you are just being a contrarian. Even Brian would say The Beatles were better.
>>
>>69799844
Smile and Pet Sounds are two albums ya dingleberry
>>
I prefer Beach Boys but I'm also a contrarian. I recognize that maybe The Beatles were more diverse and creative, but I like "mom-songs" and am more of a Paul kinda guy.

Plus Pet Sounds is better than any Beatles album.
>>
>>69799844
Everything about this post is wrong.
>>
>>69799844
Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!), Today!, Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Smiley Smile, Wild Honey, Sunflower, Surf's Up are all more than solid.

and they have loads more "good" albums.
>>
Brian was so cute
>>
File: YUM!!!.png (807KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
YUM!!!.png
807KB, 900x900px
>>69799956
will there ever be another artist as qt as brian?
>>
Beatles released good music with better consistency but Pet Sounds is better than anything the Beatles ever put out.

That said, I prefer the Beach Boys.
>>
File: ADORABLE!!!.jpg (907KB, 2500x2519px) Image search: [Google]
ADORABLE!!!.jpg
907KB, 2500x2519px
I think with the Beach Boys music vs the Beatles early music (1963 and 1964) the Beach Boys win, but it's difficult to compare the Beatles later music because it's in such a different style.
On a personal level, I love the Beatles in a way where I could listen to them for hours unlike the Beach Boys, but the Beatles haven't made me feel like the Beach Boys have.
I've literally cried to every song on Pet Sounds, and if you haven't, your not a real Beach Boys fan
>>
never really understood the 'battle' between the two.

McCartney has gone on to say that Pet Sounds is his favourite album and really influenced him. When it came out The Beatles were like SHIT! WE'RE NEVER GONNA WRITE ANYTHING THAT GOOD!!!!

and then when Sgt. Peppers came out Brian Wilson was like SHIT!!!! I'M NEVER GONNA WRITE ANYTHING THAT GOOD!!!!

there's a mutual respect between the two
>>
The problem with the comparison is that The Beatles were at least three songwriters, along with the orchestrations of George Martin; where Brian wrote all the songs of the Beach Boys. Compared to any single Beatle, Brian was better, but band-for-band, and along with Brian's breakdown, the Beatles outran them.
>>
>>69800692
so true. the beach boys were great because brian was a genius, while the beatles were great because john/paul were made for each other
>>
File: Brian:Carl.png (624KB, 1004x1118px)
Brian:Carl.png
624KB, 1004x1118px
:'(
>>
>>69800692
Brian didnt write every single song though. That is objectively false.
>>
>>69801331
Heart breaking man....
>>
>>69799284
That dog is dead by now....
>>
>>69801457
Dann
>>
File: brian puppies.jpg (248KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
brian puppies.jpg
248KB, 900x900px
>>69801457
these pets no longer make sounds
>>
>>69801436
No, but he wrote the vast majority of their songs that are worth mentioning. Dennis was pretty good though. I mean, Forever is just beautiful.
>>
>>69799899
>Smile
You mean Smiley Smile, and no it wasn't better
>>
>>69800692
Their former manager Jack Reilly said of the Beatles vs. The Beach Boys:

>"I will be blunt. The Beatles were focused, strategic, professional and well led during the years of their mounting ascendancy in critical and commercial acclaim. John Lennon and Paul McCartney, the creators, spoke the same "line" as did George Harrison and Ringo Starr. There was true career direction, which the group followed carefully. During that same period The Beach Boys were divided, unprofessional and horrendously led. Brian Wilson, the creator, had the respect of his brothers but not of the others in his band nor of their manager. The brothers spoke one "line" while Love, Jardine, an emerging Johnston and Murry Wilson spouted another. There was no career direction to speak of and chaos reigned. Tragically, the same parameters held true during most but not all of the group's career. An exception, I contend, was during the period in which I guided their career direction. To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public."

So, as much as I love the Beach Boys, I'm gonna have to go with The Beatles
>>
>>69799412
we come to this conclusion every time yet this thread is still posted 3x a week
>>
>>69800168
total bollocks, Brian had already given up on life by the release of Sgt Peppers, if he hadn't had a mental breakdown the Beatles would have got eternally BTFO by Smile
>>
File: thomas-pynchon.jpg (85KB, 620x410px) Image search: [Google]
thomas-pynchon.jpg
85KB, 620x410px
>>69802671
tragedy is always more interesting, if anything that quote is proof the Beach Boys are better
>>
>>69802421
You know what I mean you moron.
>>
lennon was a hack
>>
>>69804056
Non argument
>>
>>69802302
what the fuck is he doing to that cat gross
>>
The Beatles > The Beach Boys
Brian Wilson > The Beatles
>>
>>69804056
There was both the original smiley smile, then the recent smile. Smiley smile is a lot better. It's too late for Brian to be able to pull off a good album, he can't save any of his old ideas. Smiley smile was just a concept album desu, but it's still amazing.
>>
>>69805294
>Smiley smile was just a concept album desu
No it wasn't you buffoon
>>
>>69799819
>chicken
lol
>>
File: 1477255952790.jpg (76KB, 618x800px) Image search: [Google]
1477255952790.jpg
76KB, 618x800px
>>69799933
Friendo :)
>>
Why are The Rolling Stones never part of this conversation? Legit question. They are the same era, aren't they?
>>
>>69805506
Hello :)
>>
>>69805666
ah yes might as well lump in TVU in there too, then

not! the beatles and the beach boys both made psych pop at their peaks, so it's relevant to compare them
>>
>>69804496
Non argument
>>
>>69803946
I sincerely believe Smile would have been a game changer. Smiley Smile doesnt compare and I dont see how anyone can prefer it to the original.
>>
>>69803991
If tragedy means that we will never get Smile, then I don't want tragedy.
>>
>>69806582
The closest you're going to get to Smile is Brian Wilson's release, and the collectors edition that came out with the backing tracks and acapellas and whatnot.
>>
>>69805294
Smiley Smile is GARBAGE compared to Brian Wilson's SMiLE. Are you fucking kidding me mate?
>>
>>69805426
Yes it was. They were just incomplete ideas which Brian had for an album. They weren't revised up to the standard of the idealisation that he had conceived. He started getting really fucked up on drugs around this time and the disappointment in the number of sales of Pet Sounds got to him and the others. Smiley smile is a terrific album, but it's incomplete and unrefined; this is why Brian tried to approach it again when his mental health got better.
>>
The Stones
>>
>>69806951
Smile feels overly produced in a modernly artificial sense. It lacks the magic of his early albums.
>>
>>69806995
I don't think you understand what Smiley Smile is...SMiLE was far too theatric and experimental for the rest of the band, they kicked it to the curb because of Mike Love's jealousy of Park Van Dyke and the failed selling of Pet Sounds. They figured SMiLE would sell like shit as well, and add on top of that Brian's mental decline, the rest of the band decided to take some of the "hits" from SMiLE and introduce them into a more formulaic and "rock" oriented sound. Don't get me wrong, there are some good songs on Smiley Smile. But as an album? It isn't good bro. And to sit there and say Smiley Smile is better than SMiLE is a joke.

SMiLE is one of the most consistent and cohesive albums ever recorded. Smiley Smile, as you said sounds unfinished and unrefined. Like they stopped half way through mixing and mastering or even WRITING and said "Yeah this is good enough."

At least Brian Wilson presents SMiLE was far more complete, and cohesive. Hell, even the original recordings they had for SMiLE that never got officially released until decades later is far more phenomenal than anything Smiley Smile tried to be.
>>
>>69807094
I will admit, Brian Wilson present's SMiLE lacks some of the magic of the original.

Are you referring to the ORIGINAL recordings of SMiLE when you say Smiley Smile? Because Smiley Smile is an entirely different album.
>>
>>69807134
I'm referring to Smiley Smile when I say Smiley Smile. The album after Pet Sounds from 67.
>>
>>69807163
You genuinely believe that is a better album than SMiLE?
>>
>>69807116
Smiley Smile is not formulaic at all, what the fuck are you on?
>>
>>69799955
you forgot Love You
>>
>>69807116
If they had recorded Brian's current complete ideas for Smile back when Smiley Smile was being recorded, then yeah it obviously would have beat the 1967 album we have today. But if you listen to both albums and honestly prefer Smile then you're just tone deaf bud'
>>
>>69807205
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha this is fucking bait.
>>
>>69807169
I genuinely enjoy it more. Musically speaking Smile is more developed, but it's too late for that to matter. For me Smile is just a flirtation of what could have been instead of Smiley Smile.
>>
File: 1460573325680.jpg (14KB, 236x236px)
1460573325680.jpg
14KB, 236x236px
>>69807217
>responding with a fallacy
Heh
>>
>>69807191
A lot of the songs that AREN'T formulaic are from SMiLE. Songs like She's Goin' Bald, Gettin' Hungry, Little Pad, Good Vibrations, are pretty damn formulaic. Granted, they're less so than their earlier albums, but they're far more formulaic than what was originally intended to be on SMiLE.

That's not to say formulaic music is bad, but SMiLE as a whole, even if it was released decades later, is far better than Smiley Smile. It doesn't matter if Smiley Smile was released first. SMilE was still recorded, tracks were still mixed, the songs still were written. And they're better, as a whole cohesive album, than Smiley Smile. Again, Smiley Smile has some great songs but as an album it's weak.
>>
File: wwwwww.png (14KB, 586x111px) Image search: [Google]
wwwwww.png
14KB, 586x111px
>>
>>69807405
You know, I feel like I think this sometimes but then I listen to albums like Summer Days (And Summer Nights) , Shut Down Vol. 2, Surf's Up, Wild Honey, Smile, Smiley Smile and I'm reminded that I'm wrong as fuck.
>>
>>69805810
It's here >>69802421
Read the thread before posting
>>69806995
>They were just incomplete ideas which Brian had for an album. They weren't revised up to the standard of the idealisation that he had conceived
Then it's not a concept album, is it?
>>
Why does one have to be better than the other? Why can't you enjoy them both for different reasons?

Fucking autism....
>>
>>69799312
Why do people think this? Pet Sounds is a pop album and nothing more
>>
>>69799420
>Pleb: The Beatles
>Contrarian: The Beach Boys
>Patrician: The Zombies
>>
>>69808909
>>Patrician: The Zombies
lol
>>
>>69808743
Incomplete ideas are nothing more than concepts
>>
>>69808958
OK then what was the concept?
>>
>>69808958
That doesn't make it a concept album though.
>>
the Kinks
>>
>>69808984
This is such a retarded fucking question and the fact that you don't realise it makes it all the more pitiful
>>
>>69808812
The genre doesn't translate the album's sound. Especially in a "genre" that shifts sound depending on the majority consensus on what's hip. Don't be a twat.
>>
>>69809117
>It's a concept album?
>but you are a retard if you question it!
Who's being a tard?
>>
>>69809206
You want me to express which sounds were incomplete ideas over text? Yeah, I think you're being the retard here
>>
>>69809279
>You want me to express which sounds were incomplete ideas over text?
No. the claim is that Smiley Smile is a concept album. What is that concept?
>>
>>69809327
You do not seem to understand what a concept is
>>
>>69809456
You do not seem to understand what a concept album is
>>
>>69809515
Oh wow you're actually right; I didn't mean it was a concept album in the sense that it all followed a single theme, it doesn't recycle a lot of ideas. I was being quite literal when I called it a concept album. There are a lot of tidbits of musical ideas within the album, like at the start of Little Pad, despite the harmony it's most obviously very lo-fi and rough. It progresses sure, but a pop band aimed at selling records like the beatles is careful when it comes to shit like that. I personally love Smiley Smile because of how rough it is, but in reality it's nothing than an unpolished pile of musical concepts.
>>
>>69809665
Well by this logic, all songs are concepts and all albums are collections of concepts
>>
The Beatles were definitely far better on all accounts, hands down. I'm sorry, I'm not even that invested in either bands, but the Beatles were far more impressive. I think some of what the Beach Boys did seemed better because they were overall a worse band so when they did something that seemed artistic it stood out more, but I'm really not a Beach Boys fan overall. Even when I considered them one of my favorite bands and would tell people that Pet Sounds was in my top ten favorite albums it was like I was trying to convince myself first and foremost that they were good. I'd talk about why Pet Sounds was such a great album, but the person I was really telling that to was me, and when I panned out I was like, why the fuck am I overthinking this? It's fucking pop music. Now I know exactly what I like in music but there are some pop bands I like more than others, and, just being completely unbiased, the Beatles are better.
>>
>>69799284
beach boys

they had a more definable style but they were technically more talented and genuine. the beatles always felt more pop, and nothing more, to me.

thats how i feel after being told by both that both were great and i ignored them until i listened to them after listening to more experimental stuff like drone and shit.
>>
>>69809829
>more talented and genuine
How do you measure it? Did you know them personally?
>>
>>69809829
>the beatles always felt more pop, and nothing more, to me.
The Beach Boys could seem like they had more weight to them more easily because more than half the time they sounded completely insipid, so when they did occasionally meet the Beatles in quality it seemed more impressive than the Beatles being that good on every record, plus it gave room for people to make your argument.
>>
>>69809829
>thats how i feel after being told by both that both were great and i ignored them until i listened to them after listening to more experimental stuff like drone and shit
lol
>>
>>69809735
No, because most songs on most albums are refined to completion.
>>
the japanese beatles are superior to both

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b6inZfiGrw
>>
>>69809933
So was Smiley Smile. It was a completed album.
>>
>>69809279
its pretty fucking easy to describe with words how something is undeveloped, like you for example. Your brain is small and incomplete. See I did it.
>>
>>69809969
You're not following are you. The songs on Smiley Smile are incomplete.

>>69809977
Your dick is small and undeveloped. Oh I guess I know how to do it with physical things too. Cool! Now try doing it with audio
>>
>>69810057
>The songs on Smiley Smile are incomplete.
How so?
>>
>>69810111
Until you listen through the album and listen to the particular song I referred to in an earlier post, this discussion is on hiatus.
>>
>>69810163
Which song?
>>
>>69810163
>>69810206
Oh you mean Little Pad?
lo fi =/= unfinished

It's finished because that was what Brian settles for and released as a finished product. It's supposed to sound like that.
>>
>>69807459
and Love You, and Today!, and a couple more
>>
>>69809829
right conclusion with absolutely wrong points

>>69809907
>more than half the time they sounded completely insipid
you're ignoring all of the beatles pre-65 discography, which was completely insipid.

also, you're wrong. when brian hit his creative peak (65-67), his music just blew any beatles stuff out of the water. and that's saying something because the beatles output at that time was absolutely unmatched
>>
>>69810322
Yeah because settling and releasing a product means it's truly complete. Yikes.

Brian would not have revisited the album if it were complete. Proust would not have taped pages upon pages to his first copy of In Search of Lost time if it were complete. Come on anon, just stop. We all know it's not the album he wanted, it's the album he settled for. But all it is is a bunch of incomplete ideas.
>>
>>69810703
>only I decide what is or is not complete for someone else's art!
Yikes

>Brian would not have revisited the album if it were complete
When did he revisit the album?
>>
i would say the Beatles were clearly the better BAND but the Beach Boys did some stuff that was kind of like outside of what the Beatles are other bands of the 60s were doing. it was more akin to motown records or phil spector stuff a lot of the time and when they were really 'a rock band' they weren't very remarkable. they were phenomenal singers obviously. they were a male vocal group but instead of various other songwriters making their hits for them (like motown groups) they had the bands resident genius Brian Wilson doing it and what separated the Beach Boys even further from both 'rock bands' (like The Who or Kinks or Stones or whatever) and the sort of traditional 'pop group' thing (Phil Spector, girl groups, mo town artists) was that their songwriter was one person and moved in this kind of huge frame to make something actually really personal. Like you'd never heard Holland Dozier Holland use the Supremes to make a deeply personal statement. I guess Marvin Gaye did something to Brian Wilson but whatever.

So basically I think the Beach Boys were a really unique group and they had a family dynamic to them too and idk it's hard to compare to the Beatles.
>>
>>69810740
>When did Brian Wilson revisit Smiley Smile
You are joking right?
>>
>>69811149
Completely serious. Answer the question.
>>
>>69811157
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smile_(The_Beach_Boys_album)
>>
>>69811289
No we are taking about Smiley Smile, not SMiLE.
>>
>>69811338
You asked when Brian Wilson revisited Smiley Smile. He did so with the album Smile. Please read the first paragraph of the wikipage I post.
>>
>>69811384
posted*
>>
>>69811384
>He did so with the album Smile
He didn't, He visited SMiLE, not Smiley Smile.

Unless you can show me where Little Pad is on SMiLE?
>Please read the first paragraph of the wikipage I post.
Oh let's see:
>As a solo artist, Wilson reinterpreted the project for concert performances in 2004
If it's a reinterpretation, then it's a new look at something that was finished. Thanks for proving my point.
>>
>>69809191
You wrote that like I haven't heard the album. I have. It's nothing more than pop music. Sorry you got fooled bud.
>>
>>69811462
Little Pad was just an idea that didn't make the final cut. If you'd have listened to it you would understand why. Smiley Smile was not what the album was meant to be like, Brian bailed due to his mental deterioration and so they just shoved a bunch of the rough concepts on it and packaged it for sale. You didn't even read to understand the full paragraph because you'd have gotten that my point is proven there; you tried your hardest to find a snippet out of half a sentence that falls in line with your personal delusion. There's no hope for you. At this point you're genuinely just trolling. I'm gonna go spend some time with my family now. Hope you have a Merry Christmas anon
>>
beach boys had the potential to be better than the beatles but the beatles managed to churn out more classics
>>
>the band that made 10/10 albums such as Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Peppers, Magical Mystery Tour, White Album, Abbey Road, songs such as Strawberry Fields Forever, Norwegian Wood, You Know My Name, Tomorrow Never Knows, I Want You (She's So Heavy), A Day in the Life, and either invented or were significant pioneers of genres such as heavy metal/proto punk, psychedelic/acid rock, jangle pop, avant garde sound collages, doom metal, novelty/comedy rock, etc

>the band that did Pet Sounds

Hmmmmm I wonder
>>
>>69811651
>Little Pad was just an idea that didn't make the final cut
Prove it. Show me the SMiLE musical idea from bootlegs or likewise
>A different opinion? Oh you must not have heard it!
lol
>Smiley Smile was not what the album was meant to be like, Brian bailed due to his mental deterioration and so they just shoved a bunch of the rough concepts on it and packaged it for sale
Incorrect. He almost completely rerecorded the album from scratch, Except for two songs (and Good Vibrations of course), at his home studio instead of the pro LA studios like Western or Goldstar, and without The Wrecking Crew. Brian felt his big experiment failed, and that he should do the opposite of this big production: simplify the songs and record it at home. You really don't know anything about either projects, do you?
>You didn't even read to understand the full paragraph
I literally know more about this than you. I can even show you the mistakes in that wikipedia entry.
>>
>>69811738
do you want me to list songs that are better than the songs you listed and respective genres the beach boys influenced (hint: it's as long or longer) or are you just shitposting?

beatlesfags are horrible
>>
>>69811797
Yep do it.
>>
File: 1481867140163.png (1MB, 899x589px) Image search: [Google]
1481867140163.png
1MB, 899x589px
>>69811738
>implying the Beatles ever made a 10/10 album
>>
>>69811797
I await this list eagerly
>>
>>69811853
How is Abbey Road not a 10/10?
>>
>>69811870
You're arguing with people that have convinced themselves the Beach Boys are some benchmark for artistry
>>
>>69811829
>>69811855
God Only Knows, Surf's Up, Cabinessence, Wonderful, Good Vibrations, Wouldn't it Be Nice

heavily influenced genres like indie rock, post punk, dream pop, psychedelic rock, progressive rock. but best of all, even in the words of George Martin himself, Sgt Peppers wouldn't have existed were it not for pet sounds
>>
>>69811907
>people that have convinced themselves the Beach Boys are some benchmark for artistry
dude the fucking band all unanimously worship brian, just like brian worships them. i don't get why it always has to be some hyperbolic statement like "the beach boys aren't good"
>>
>>69812068
Because, A Day In The Life, Strawberry Fields Forever, Across The Universe, If I Fell, You never Give Me Your Money

>indie rock, post punk, dream pop, psychedelic rock, progressive rock
Need citations for all of these.
>even in the words of George Martin himself, Sgt Peppers wouldn't have existed were it not for pet sounds
Even in the words of Brian Wilson, there wouldn't be a Pet Sounds without Rubber Soul
>>
>>69812100
I'm not saying they're not good but this board has vastly overrated them
>>
>>69812100
>dude the fucking band all unanimously worship brian
You mean just Paul.
>>
>>69812195
not according to most musicians, the beatles themselves, and every music critic and musicologist, but okay. i'm sure it's just this board of hipster millennials who just wanna feel unique XD

>>69812159
>Need citations for all of these.
then give me citations for the beatles ones.

>indie rock
>post punk
"Smile became the progenitor for indie rock.[119] and its saga became a touchstone for the more art-inclined branches of post-punk.[185] "

>dream pop
"[All I Wanna Do] is considered a precursor to the shoegazing genre.[2][3]"

>progressive rock
'In the mid-1960s, British newspapers were referring to Pet Sounds as "the most progressive pop album ever".[96][97][nb 2]'

"Pet Sounds inspired many progressive rock bands,[88] and in 2010 was listed in Classic Rock's "50 Albums That Built Prog Rock".[100]"

>psychedelic rock
'On "Good Vibrations", Popmatters stated: "Its influence on the ensuing psychedelic and progressive rock movements can’t be overstated, but its legacy as a pop hit is impressive as well."[95]'

>>69812222
no, i mean all of them.

>“On one of my last nights in London, John Lennon, Paul McCartney and Keith Moon were in my suite and I played them Pet Sounds — and John and Paul made me play it twice. It was really cool. They loved it. We all knew that it was a really wonderful thing to be listening to. There wasn’t much to say. It was like collectively watching a great movie and you go ‘Wow!,’ and just know it was cool.”

anything else?
>>
>>69812382
That story you posted has nothing to do with any of the other beach boys. Try again.
>>
>>69812408
>That story you posted has nothing to do with any of the other beach boys.
what the fuck are you talking about? i'm replying to >>69812222, which was claiming that paul was the only beatle to like brian, which is fucking wrong. there was nothing about the other members of the beach boys.

work on your reading comprehension

also
>getting utterly btfo and cherrypicking
embarrassing
>>
>>69812382
>"Smile became the progenitor for indie rock
How so though? It was never heard by anyone because it was never released and doesnt sound like indie rock
>the more art-inclined branches of post-punk.[185] "
goalpost moving
>"[All I Wanna Do] is considered a precursor to the shoegazing genre.[2][3]"
If that's the rubric, then it was actually Phil Specter who invented dream pop
>"the most progressive pop album ever"
>pop, not rock
Goalpost shifting again. In contrast, Sgt pepper was the actual influence of prog rock.
>'On "Good Vibrations"
There were psychedelic rock songs before Good Vibrations. See the album Revolver.

>and John and Paul made me play it twice
That's only 50% of The Beatles. Show me a quote of Ringo worshipping Pet Sounds
>>
>>69812463
>reading comprehension meme
How's christmas break going anon? Excited for your second semester of sophomore year?
>>
>>69812531
>It was never heard by anyone because it was never released and doesnt sound like indie rock
dude the bootlegs were some of the most widely circulated ever. and yes it does

>>69812531
>goalpost moving
most post punk was artsy but okay

>>69812531
>If that's the rubric, then it was actually Phil Specter who invented dream pop
that doesn't make sense

>>69812531
>>pop, not rock
>Goalpost shifting again. In contrast, Sgt pepper was the actual influence of prog rock.
my god you're a fucking pedantic retard i can't even respond to your posts

>>69812531
>There were psychedelic rock songs before Good Vibrations. See the album Revolver.
none of those songs even sound remotely close to good vibrations. good try though

>>69812531
>That's only 50% of The Beatles. Show me a quote of Ringo worshipping Pet Sounds
ringo doesn't fucking matter because he's not a major songwriting part of the beatles

so, in conclusion, you got utterly btfo and you gave some half assed retorts (which were like 50% """GOALPOST MOVING""" and 50% gibberish).

>>69812561
>How's christmas break going anon? Excited for your second semester of sophomore year?
absolutely epic projection, as you fail to respond to your embarrassing error
>>
>>69811384
Are you the same guy I asked if he was confusing SMiLE with Smiley Smile?

Smiley Smile is a completely different album from SMiLE. SMiLE was conceived AND recorded before Smiley Smile. Brian revisited SMiLE, not Smiley Smile. I feel Brian Wilson had very little to do with the actual recording and production of Smiley Smile.
>>
>>69812639
>dude the bootlegs were some of the most widely circulated ever
In the late 80s/early 90s, AFTER indie rock had already been established
>most post punk was artsy but okay
Then there would be no need to specific "the more art-inclined". But we do, clearly implying it *might* have influenced *some* post-punk. I want to see an actual citation for that though.
>that doesn't make sense
Oh you don't know who Phil Specter is?
>my god you're a fucking pedantic retard i can't even respond to your posts
Read: you got me there, I'm out of arguments
>none of those songs even sound remotely close to good vibrations
It's psychedelic rock that predates Good Vibrations, thus proving it didn't influence/create psychedelic rock. Please work on reading comprehension
>ringo doesn't fucking matter because he's not a major songwriting part of the beatles
Goalpost shifting
>>
File: Screenshot 2016-12-21 22.38.03.png (48KB, 797x277px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2016-12-21 22.38.03.png
48KB, 797x277px
>>69812382
>"[All I Wanna Do] is considered a precursor to the shoegazing genre.[2][3]"
>If I edit the wikipedia to say so, I will always be right!

pic related
>>
>>69812893
Hoooo shit someone got wrecked by a legitimate wiki editor.

Kudos to you sir, expose them for the liar they are.
>>
>>69812639
That's not what the word projection means. It'd help if you'd learn these words outside of this board.
>>
>>69812908
Note that the wiki for All I Wanna Do Claims it is the first example of chillwave.
>>
>>69813006
I can see why someone would think that but it doesn't necessarily make it true. All I Wanna Do reminds me of Guys Eyes by Animal Collective, but neither of those songs are chillwave.
>>
>>69813029
Plus the citations for it include a press release for some millennial band who said they thought they heard it somewhere, and then an Italian equivalent of a Buzzfeed list.
>>
>>69799284
I like the Beatles better.
>>
>>69800692
/board
Thread posts: 142
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.