[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/prod/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 11

File: skrillex-flume-youredm-615x500.jpg (62KB, 615x500px) Image search: [Google]
skrillex-flume-youredm-615x500.jpg
62KB, 615x500px
Discord Edition
https://discord.gg/fXfkZ

Remember to use:
>clyp.it for WIPs
>soundcloud for completed tracks and getting called a fag for not going to soundcloud threads.

Stuff:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles and stuff
http://pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - looking for contributors (wink, wink)
http://mu-sic-production.wikia.com/wiki//mu/sic_Production_Wiki
>>
>>69796697
How old is that pic?? Before or after the What So Not drama?
>>
>>69796750
Well and truly before Emoh was a cunt.
>>
>>69796750
>>69796808
Is that you? Flume?
>>
Does anone know the name of the EDM song that starts playing at the end (around 8:51) of this video?
https://youtu.be/bE1q6JA6SYI?t=531

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>69796697
>invite is expired
>pastebin is shit newb shit
>go home ned
>>
Skrillex is a manlet
>>
I'm starting from zero and want to learn to make hip-hop beats.
Using FL currently.
Are there any essential VSTs and Sample packs that anyone should have?
>>
File: 84474_explosive_dog-medium.jpg (20KB, 291x235px) Image search: [Google]
84474_explosive_dog-medium.jpg
20KB, 291x235px
https://clyp.it/yij5ktax
>>
>>69798598
everyone*
>>
>>69798598
none
learn how to sample and make your own stuff from scratch
>>
>>69798598
Read this (all Samuel's posts):
https://rbt.asia/mu/thread/39367482#p39370429
>>
hey /prod/
I'm doing the "make a track in a day every day" challenge and this is what I made yesterday

https://clyp.it/fj242rnv

what do you guys think?
>>
>>69799240
Listened to it to make fun of you, but it's actually not bad production-wise.
Did you use samples/presets/romplers, or you programmed the synths yourself?

Also the timing on those melodies is bad and sometimes it fucks up and sounds awful, so maybe work on the midi.
And the drop doesn't completely fit with what's before it.
>>
>>69799240
>>69799292
Also, the intro doesn't fit with the breakdown melody, so I think it's just that that doesn't fit with the rest.
Change it and everything will sound more like a single piece, instead of parts of different (but similar) songs.
>>
>>69799292
all of the synths are programmed by me

>the timing on those melodies is bad and sometimes it fucks up and sounds awful

what do you mean, everything is on the grid and I don't hear anything being "off"
the drop switches to minor and right before it the melody thing is in major. I can see how that ticks you off but meh, didn't think it was that big of a deal.

>>69799317
yeah I see what you mean, the major/minor changeup ticks you off the wrong way
>>
>>69799240
... And here I am, trying to develop a 30 second theme for a week.
>>
>>69799376
I don't mean off the grid, I mean some of the notes start in points where they don't sound very good in relation to the whole thing (the melodies are probably fine on their own I imagine).

When it goes from major to minor, is it the relative scale (like C major to A minor), or you just changed it like from C major to C minor?
>>
>>69799240
What does a title mean? Is it a remix or what? What is the original?
>>
>>69799395
how long have you been producing for?

>>69799474
hmm, that's odd, can you tell me specifically where you hear that?
and nah, it goes directly from F Major to F Minor.

>>69799508
it's just another version of another track that I did, called Night at the Opera, will probably develop this into a series of dark chords and hard drops.
this is the original that I did.

https://clyp.it/xy1l1o52
>>
>>69799537
>hmm, that's odd, can you tell me specifically where you hear that?
Send me the midi file/s

>and nah, it goes directly from F Major to F Minor.
Ah, that's why it sounded weird.
It's very hard to pull something like that off (I know I couldn't).
>>
>>69799537
At this point I don't even know what can be called a production in my case. I started like 2 and a half years ago, about a year or so I was just using a piano roll and improvising shit, after a year I was familiar with basics, effects and a mixer, about 3-4 months ago I went somewhat deeper in it and got myself familiar with more theory, but I'm still lacking in practice and mostly have a bunch of unfinished projects and small snippets.

I bet I'm just lazy but I don't want to spend weeks on polishing a turd, already happened one time and I hated myself after that.
>>
>>69798758
this is the stupidest fucking advice to give new producers, starting with good sounds is important and regurgitating this nonsense just makes new producers waste a bunch of time trying to tweak shit stock sounds into good ones
>>
>>69799582
I figured out what you mean. I've sidechained pretty much all of the synths so as to not be static/get you pumped for the kick drum(drop)

>>69799777
Work on 20 second things then. say to yourself, today Im gonna focus on making a good build, polish just those 20 seconds, try to make as much shit as you can, soon you'll get better. and try to listen to as much music as you can, stuff outside of your comfort zone.
>>
>>69801053
It's not the sidechaining (except for maybe a single weird note in the breakdown).
>>
>>69797850
Don't know the name but just wanted to let you know you're a faggot
>>
>>69802079
Thank you for letting me know Anon. I'll definitely keep that in mind.
Care to tell me why exactly?
>>
https://clyp.it/urwxwuqr
>>
>>69802251
Lead sounds kind of cool but too "random" and hard to follow.
I would put it on the background (perhaps with another sound), and make another lead melody that's easier to follow.

Unless that's meant to be an instrumental for some rap or something like that, in which case leave it like that because the listener will follow the vocals anyway.
>>
I need some good drum samples.
Basic stuff is alright, but it does have to sound good.
Not too overproduced would be better.
Anyone have any recommendations?
>>
>>69802371
What kind of drums?
Like real recordings or synthetic (or a mix of the two)?
>>
Any tips on moving away from linear/pop style songwriting and arrangement and get more into performance/techno style arrangements?

I know with performance/techno, a lot of what is happening in the song is limited by how much you can physically trigger/modify with your hands. Is it as simple as just switching to mostly using hardware?
>>
>>69802387
Both are fine (I'll mix both probably anyway), but I'd prefer electronic more than dry recorded drum samples.
It's for electronic songs after all.
I really dislike those huge drum vsts.
>>
>>69802412
Do live performances (of the kind you want) enough that you start to notice the fundamental elements of the songs you're using, and what makes them suited for that application.
Then try to copy the songs you like (again, focusing on what makes them appropriate for the genre), and after you know how it works, start producing your own.
After a few songs you'll be good at it.
>>
>>69802454
What genre do you plan to make?
>>
>>69802523
kind of electro-pop or whatever I guess
Here are some examples where I enjoy the drums
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se8bbsUFjC8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWNhWmIWRVA
>>
>>69802523
>>69802673
I also find Yasutaka Nakata (Capsule/KPP/Perfume) pretty nice.
>>
>>69802673
Those aren't particularly hard to make.
You should learn to make your own. It will help you grow as a producer, and you'll feel good for having created everything from scratch.

If you really want samples, then I can't really help you, as I don't really use that kind of stuff (I make my own using synths and real recordings), and don't have a pack to suggest, since I use them so rarely.
I hear good things about Sample Magic though, you might wanna check them out.

Alternatively, go check the Samples section on Audioz, and download what you like.
>>
>>69802795
>and you'll feel good for having created everything from scratch.
No, the kind of shitty drums that I make myself don't sound good, and in turn I feel bad.
I will never synthesize a good snare, and I am content with that fact.
pink/white noise with a pitched sine just doesn't sound good to me.
In the end I will probably have to continue to sample hunt, but I thought I could get some good info here.
>>
>>69802933
You can't make a good snare because you haven't done it enough.
Everyone is only able to make shitty snares until he can make good ones.
Start watching youtube tutorials for "sound-design-y" genres like dubstep, and you'll understand how it works.

I'm not happy with my drums either, but when I make them in a song my goal isn't to make a good song and get signed. It's to make a song that helps me progress to the point where I can eventually produce everything in a song and have it being very good.
The only way to get there is by making lots of bad stuff I'm not happy with, that gets gradually better until it's good, and I'm a good producer.
If you take the shortcut you'll have better songs without the skills to back them.

I literally have this on my desktop:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk6ok7FBPvg
Start with this and practice what you see until you understand why everything sounds the way it does, then move on to another tutorial.
>>
>>69803029
I do watch those "how to synth a snare" tutorials, but in my opinion the results aren't ever great, and I want to take a break from sound-designing too much.
In the past I only focused on that shit, and in turn the only thing I got out from that were some nice sounding loops.
I want to focus more on actual song-writing, which is why I want nothing more than a few pleasant sounding basic drum sounds.
Most of the ones I find are either weak-sounding (which means I will have to spend a lot of time fixing them up), or are overproduced crap.
>>
>>69803169
To each their own man, good luck with your search.

If I were you, I would make a reddit account and ask on /r/edmproduction
>>
>>69798598
808, 909 etc..
>>
>>69803029
>Everyone is only able to make shitty snares until he can make good ones.
Are you a zen master or something lol.
>>69802412
Set up a simple sequence of just a few bars and think of what parameters you can tweak to bring in progression. For example filter cutoff, envelope decay, muting/unmuting hi-hats, bass boost on the drums. Just let a 4 bar sequence run forever and tweak these, i.e. ramping up filter cutoff, then suddenly bring it down and bring in a fat kick drum at the same moment, you can follow this pattern with basically any combination of two parameters.
>>
>>69802933
There's probably some better articles on this but you can kinda make your own drum samples by layering parts of samples you got somewhere else. Use different samples to get a nice attack sound, a full/tinny/whatever you want body, another sample for a lush decay.. You probably want to tweak each layer with filters and envelopes.
Disclaimer: never really done this myself but this advice gets thrown round a lot.
>>
>>69803699
I actually already do this, but as I said before, it just takes too much time.
I will tweak nothing but drums sounds for hours instead of just writing songs.
I think I will just download some vengeance to listen to the sounds.
Hopefully they are not too terrible.
In videos of most producers I see them laying around somewhere in the sample library, which means it can't be too terrible.
>>
>>69803753
Drums take more effort than any other part of the song in my opinion.
>>
https://clyp.it/bri5i3jf
Tell me how i did. also the discord link is dead
>>
I...
I ain't gonna make it.
>>
File: 1461471505448.jpg (51KB, 960x852px) Image search: [Google]
1461471505448.jpg
51KB, 960x852px
>>69804703
looks like it's about that time then
>>
GOD TIER
sine wave
GOOD TIER
triangle wave
SHIT TIER
square wave
saw wave
other way saw wave
>>
File: NordDrum2-models[1].jpg (659KB, 1024x646px) Image search: [Google]
NordDrum2-models[1].jpg
659KB, 1024x646px
Thoughts about the Nord Drum 2 as a cheaper alternative to a Machinedrum? No in-built sequencer and only stereo outs but at this price you can't have it all. It sounds like you can do some pretty in-depth sound creation. I'm looking to create Radiohead/Thom Yorke-esque synthetic sounding rhythms.
>>
>>69805512
>sine wave
Boring and utterly pointless (literally) for sound creation.
>>
File: 1476614341626.jpg (40KB, 564x447px) Image search: [Google]
1476614341626.jpg
40KB, 564x447px
>>69805618
>fundamental building block of all sound
>pointless (literally) for sound creation
>>
>>69805673
You're essentially correct, all sounds (including other waveforms) are made of sine waves. However a pure simple sine wave is harmonically dead and just very, very boring.
>>
>>69805743
>very boring
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
Just got a new teac. Anyone other tape enthusiasts here?
>>
>>69805743
>You're essentially correct, all sounds (including other waveforms) are made of sine waves. However a pure simple sine wave is harmonically dead and just very, very boring.

t. Butthurt Supersaw faggot
>>
putting the finishing touches to this one. have i missed anything too grating or shitty?

https://clyp.it/chinxc4j
>>
>>69796697
"The Instant invite is invalid or has expired"
Come on.
>>
>>69800544
i agree as cheesey as it sounds its only the end product that matters
>>
File: 1323448671474.jpg (17KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1323448671474.jpg
17KB, 250x250px
>>69805743
>harmonically dead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K922nz1XmDE
>>
Do you compose your music mainly by improvising on an instrument or from your head? I realized that my best pieces all came from me manually entering notes on a grid, even though it is a harder and slower way of doing it. When I'm on a piano I tend to come up with more virtuosic, but ultimately much simpler pieces - it cripples my composition, honestly, but then again, different methods give very different results.
>>
>>69807076
I used to do both of these but i suddenly found it so boring after a while to make music either of these ways so i bought a slave boy from malaysia to do them for me and i just post the best stuff he comes up with on soundcloud under my own name.
>>
>>69807076
The things I improvise on my guitar are harmonically and melodically much richer, but I just lack the means of transporting anything I play into a daw, which is why I stick with simple stuff when producing electronic music.
I don't mind too much, but I wish there would be an easy way to transfer a line from my guitar to midi.
>>
>>69807076
you can try this out
>>
>>69806837
That. Is. Sick.
>>
>>69807168
FL Studio can do that easily.
Yeah, it's interesting because I'm very well versed in piano but my improvisations are often harmonically simpler than stuff I come up with in my head.
But actually, I think that is also changing as time goes by, I never really improvised much before so I wasn't good at that I guess.
But I'm still nowhere near the levels of Bach to be able to develop a piece harmonically on the fly.

>>69807197
Don't know what this is but I'll see. Thanks.
>>
>>69807287
>FL Studio can do that easily.
I wish. Ableton has the same function, but it just doesn't really work.
In the end I'd rather just compose by clicking.
>>
>>69807287
it lets you plug your guitar into your interface and record midi from it using your synths
>>
>>69807332
I'll try it out, thanks!
>>
File: glosno.jpg (273KB, 1280x854px) Image search: [Google]
glosno.jpg
273KB, 1280x854px
Last time I posted someone said to never touch a DAW again

Well i did

and made a new beat

Hopefully better ...

What do you guys think? :)

https://clyp.it/2p23u53m
>>
>>69807312
What do you mean it doesn't work for you?
For me it works well, though I have to admit that, given a slight latency, it's a pain in the ass to place everything perfectly in the grid, so I tend to use it mostly just for recording my sessions and then I proceed to manually reenter everything, maybe copy paste a part of it and then move the notes one by one. Still sucks, yeah.
>>
>>69807358
I don't know who said that, but this is decent. Can't imagine how good/bad the previous piece had to be for someone to say that to you.
>>
>>69807407
cool

here's the one i posted last

https://clyp.it/qbk5qmvq

i don't think its thats bad desu, it could use some tweaking but i like the general vibe it carries
>>
>>69807466
Yeah, it's not bad at all, I actually like some of the sounds. The vibe is nice, yes. It was possibly because of some meter changes where you skip 2 beats and maybe because the melody is a bit weird, but I bet you can make something good from it too.
>>
Just finished making this as a brief warm up project and quite like the result. I've recently spent a while learning more about mixing and doing a bunch of analysis of songs in different genres which has led to this result, sounding alright on Sony MDR-7506s through a Yamaha AS-500. Is the bass too much? What equipment are you using?

https://soundcloud.com/duveteux/youre-not-on-the-list
>>
>>69808068
bass is heavy but i like it a lot

im using a pair of audio technica ath-m50x
>>
wochu think senpai?
https://clyp.it/grekcw20
>>
>>69808863
Those drums though, how do I achieve this? Noice.
>>
Never really visited a /prod/ thread before, but was wondering how do I slow down my music without it getting all choppy? I use physical instruments, and am fine with the pitch shifting with the speed, but I just wanted to know how to do it on a computer.
>>
>>69806483
Anyone ?
>>
>>69809029
Thanks friend.

I just used superior drummer 2, wrote a beat and slapped a compressor, some eq and reverb on it.
>>
>>69809218
Nice, I'll have to check it out. Atm I have abbey road modern drummer and addictive drums 2, but I probably just don't know how to use them to their full potential.
>>
>>69808854
Thanks, I would have thought M50s would struggle a bit with so much so that's great to hear.

>>69808863
Awesome work!
>>
>>69809090
>and am fine with the pitch shifting with the speed
Load it into audacity and pitch it down. As far as how to pitch it down in audacity idk, just google it.
>>
>>69809633
pitch shifting in audacity doesn't slow it down, but slowing it down makes the audio have a sort of choppy, delay-ish effect to it, which I don't want.

The sound I want is basically a tape slowed down: it plays slowly, smoothly, and lower. Except I would like to be able to do it on a computer.
>>
>>69809935
That's "pitch shift". pitch shift is a specific thing, where the timing doesn't change but the pitch does. "Pitching down" is exactly like slowing a tape or record, not sure exactly where it's located but it is in Audacity.
>>
https://clyp.it/tsywevhh

What should I add here, mid-frequency lead synth line? vocal sample? better fills and breakdowns?
>>
>>69811234
how bout a
big,
dirty
b-b-b-bassline?
>>
>>69806483
intro sounds ok interesting. Might sound good to have the sounds of that first pad sound decay instead of playing constantly until the next notes and have a sharp attack sound, like a pluck

Part that comes in next with the percussion, too many instruments introduced / too many changes at once. It can be close to that fast, but I'd find a way to tease some of those sounds or maybe delay one of them to come in a little later, even like 1 bar later.

Aside from that, the percussion that comes in before the kick, I'd cut out a little of the lower mid frequencies. And put some light distortion on it. I don't know if that would actually sound better but I'd try it and see.

The shaker that comes in is good. But it also comes in right at the same time as that melody part which is kind of abrupt for both of them to do that together. But that melody sound is also cool.

main grovve sounds a lot more solid around 2.40 and everything after that sounds really good. The only part I'd work on is the first couple of minutes how it builds up and the intro. You can always put elements in the intro to fill up space in the mix, that drop out when the main groove starts. Because some elements sound good in the full groove but don't seem to make sense alone.
>>
>>69811457
I tried to put a bassline there, is there still not one to your ears? It's like I can't make a bassline no matter what I do? Or are you just kidding.
>>
Anyone want to critique my stupid ass funky beat shit? Tell me how it is

https://clyp.it/ffmd0lsa
>>
>>69811763
All the drum sounds except the high hat are super quiet. Can't tell if they are that way due to how you mixed it, or if you can't change the volume of them due to them being part of the same sample as the vocal. If they're unique sounds, what speakers or headphones are you mixing on?
>>
>>69809935

Here you go, this is what you want:

http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/change_speed.html
>>
>>69811882
>https://clyp.it/ffmd0lsa
It was recorded to tape with a sampler. the recorded sounds didn't have a solid kick sample so i added one i ableton. I guess it's supposed to sound weird like that
>>
>>69811882
>>69811939
https://clyp.it/tqhut2lf
here's the original, one audio file from tape mixed in ableton
>>
>>69812128
I feel like I like this one better although I can't identify any actual differences between them.
>>
https://clyp.it/rebi3mle
I tried and it sounds like shit.
>>
File: Dubstep_Santa.jpg (97KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Dubstep_Santa.jpg
97KB, 1280x720px
>>69811759
perhaps santa will bring you a b-b-b-bassline!
Thread posts: 100
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.