[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do normies and high class music professors react to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: Trout Mask Replica.jpg (40KB, 500x496px) Image search: [Google]
Trout Mask Replica.jpg
40KB, 500x496px
How do normies and high class music professors react to Trout Mask Replica?
>>
Most people just think it sounds like a hobo yarlin' over a bunch of retards having convulsions with their instruments, which is *kind of* correct.

It's still a great album though.
>>
>>69770955

normies:
>I find it impossible to give this record an A because it is just too weird. But I'd like to. Very great played at high volume when you're feeling shitty, because you'll never feel as shitty as this record. B+

high class music professors:
>The overall meaning of the pandemonium in Trout Mask Replica is not only playfulness, or the negation of a meaning. The allegorical messages of Van Vliet's masterpiece are multiple, hidden by layers of abstractions that allow a cosmic-metaphysical interpretation, despite the author's pretense of illiteracy. These interpretations redirect the listener toward a form of apology for madness, to the primordial stages, and to chaos, counterposed against the monolithic order of technocratic society.
>>
>>69771124
>Christgau is just a normie
true desu
>>
I consider myself a patrician and I find this shit fucking obnoxious. It sounds like a band of down syndrome kids playing with their father who can actually sing decently.
>>
>>69771264
>not grooving to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RHpZFPFfvc

sad
>>
>>69771124
>because you'll never feel as shitty as this record
Lol
>>
>>69771264
no sorry, being patrician means desensitized against anything obnoxious and loving all possible sounds
>>
Safe as Milk is better.
>>
>>69771518
no
>>
>>69771516
This desu. I think a sign of good taste (in my opinion/by my definition) is an attraction to sounds that are unique. Whether it be experimental blues fuckery ala Captain Beefheart or harsh noise or drone, patricians will at least appreciate it, if not enjoy it.
>>
>>69773413
Do you ignore things like The Beatles because it's popular?
>>
Reminder that almost all of TMR was composed beforehand
>>
>I thought it was the worst thing I'd ever heard. I said to myself, they're not even trying! It was just a sloppy cacophony. Then I listened to it a couple more times, because I couldn't believe Frank Zappa could do this to me – and because a double album cost a lot of money. About the third time, I realised they were doing it on purpose; they meant it to sound exactly this way. About the sixth or seventh time, it clicked in, and I thought it was the greatest album I'd ever heard.
According to Matt Groening, a normie
>>
>>69773636
this
>>69771264
keep fucking listen to it. pick out a couple of songs that you can kind of stand and try to pick out what each instrument is doing in them, pretty soon you'll hear how intricately and tightly composed this album is.

like basically everyone else, I hated TMR for the first four or five listens, but Ella Guru, Moonlight on Vermont, and Fallin' Ditch stuck with me enough to get me to come back
>>
>>69770955
normie here. I can recognize the niche appeal of it but it's just not a niche that speaks to me
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.