[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You wouldn't call someone a great author if they didn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: flat,1000x1000,075,f.jpg (70KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
flat,1000x1000,075,f.jpg
70KB, 1000x1000px
You wouldn't call someone a great author if they didn't know how to read words, so how can you be a great musician if you can't read music?
>>
Man, how am I supposed to write down LFO making bass wubs while the low pass filter opens up?
>>
>>69737812
with a note and some text. you should know that kind of shit.
>>
>>69737786
that's true but it would be considered impressive for someone who cannot read to recite literature.
>>
The thing is everyone one of those great musicians that can't read or write sheet music knows all the theory fancy people know they just don't have a language to express it that isn't just playing.

And if that isn't how you work thinking you needed to be forced into that is stifling and can discourage their creativity and you'd lose magic like Hendrix, Mastodon and bands like Venom, who were regarded as bad musicians for a long time but none the less were pivotal in the evolution of music
>>
>>69737786
if he somehow manages to write a great book, i would.
>>
but its too hard to learn, playing is easier and much more enjoyable
>>
>>69737941

Musicians like that are an extremely rare occurrence though. You are not Jimi Hendrix. If you're an amateur musician and you refuse to learn music theory because "muh creativity" you'll probably never get anywhere, professionally or creatively.

If you try to audition for a band, and you don't know what they mean when they tell you what key the song's in, you'll get laughed off the stage. If you're making music for yourself, and you're just trying to do "what sounds good," composing music is going to take three times as long.
>>
John Milton.
>>
>>69737786
Homer didnt know how to write or read and he wrote he greatest book of all-time.
>>
reminder that slint is what happens when you dont know music theory
>>
>>69737786
???????

your post is so dumb my dude
>>
>comparing a written art to an aural art

It would make more sense to compare a great oral storyteller to a musician. Music for a long time was taught and transferred aurally, until paper came about and slowly musicians started writing down their music in certain notational systems until it was really standardized approaching the renaissance era. Writing music down is really a technology used to standardize the musical system and ease of transferring music from one person to another. While you tend to be a better musician once you are good at reading music, its not required to be good at music and ultimately the best musicians are the ones with the best ear.
>>
>>69737864
Homer?
>>
yeah cause you listen to music with ur eyes dipshit
>>
>>69740688
you're ruining ops bait
>>
You're right OP, and next time I want to listen to some music, I'll try just READING the music instead, that will probably be much more enjoyable
>>
>>69737786
I can read tab.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.