[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is he starting to become a serious and respected critic in the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 15

is he starting to become a serious and respected critic in the music industry now?
>>
Not in the slightest.
>>
Wouldn't mean much in any case
>>
>>69718669
no, he has memes though

>he tryd really hard with idubbz though
>>
>>69718669
Not sure, but regardless of whether or not my tastes happen to align with his, some of his 10+ minute reviews are articulate and thorough enough to garner respect. He's got a fairly extensive knowledge of a lot of different genres and not only is able to pick apart an album, but also contextualize the release with regard to other music. I'll take his reviews over the affectation and logical leaps that Pitchfork takes to corroborate their predetermined socio-musical narrative.
>>
Nah, joining the alt right anti-feminist circle has pretty much guaranteed that he'll be confined to youtube celebrity. He'll enjoy raking in those youtube dollars though if he keeps pandering to edgy teenagers.

He'd also need to drop the memes if he wanted to be taken seriously, but considering he's over 30 now, he's probably done maturing.
>>
Not by me, but he certainly has a following.
>>
>>69719908
the melon meme is fun and all, but youre right.

I'm able to stomach his lame shit like his other channel since he seems self-aware enough to know he's being retarded.
>>
>>69719930
he's a leftist and you would realize that if you even remotely paid attention. not being offended easily doesn't make him alt-right, jesus christ you must live on the internet.
>>
>wants to be taken seriously
>lol guyz it's just my opinion
>>
>>69719930
most of what you say is dumb
>>
>>69719959
You're right, he is self-aware. He's a fairly smart guy and just doesn't take himself as seriously as most people generally do (e.g. doesn't get pissed off by comments). Very friendly too from what I've heard about people meeting him in person. I sometimes disagree with his scores, but that's to be expected with any critic of any artform. I appreciate that he takes music seriously and has a pretty extensive musical knowledge to draw from. He puts a lot more thought into what he says than I would have expected from a YouTube personality.
>>
>>69720046
You're right. He's got a ton of great reviews for some underrated albums. Have you tried clenching your scrote towards your spine? It will raise your standards and show you the real genius of Fantano. He's a good bassist and probably gives his sensible compassionate wife some good benis.
>>
hes become progressively more and more plebby and hes quit reviewing the more niche music, it was inevitable with his success but still, i wish hed go back to reviewing the smaller music
>>
>>69720087
someone itt prove to me he isnt a flaming homosexual
>>
>>69720133
Hahaha, what? What's the matter with you, friendo
>>
>>69720147
no joke, i thought he was gay but google says he's got a qt black wife.
>>
File: 0004309911_10.jpg (120KB, 942x942px) Image search: [Google]
0004309911_10.jpg
120KB, 942x942px
>>69720133

Literally this >>69720147

This is a gay friendly board as gay people make some great music.
>>
>>69720183
The gays invented electronic music and killed hitler. The melon should not be ashamed to be gay.
>>
>>69719980
I do pay attention to him endorsing GamerGate, telling "SJWs" to drink bleach and making shitty "hey, aren't people who dislike capitalism retarded?" videos. I also pay attention to him hanging around with MDE, Sargon and TheAmazingAthiest. I don't give a shit that he likes hip hop or that he once said he liked Bernie Sanders (before Bernie he supported Ron Paul, btw), he pals around with the alt right.

>>69720012
k
>>
>>69720101
I just go to Tiny Mix Tapes for that.
>>
File: 1481875122736.png (79KB, 1492x1172px) Image search: [Google]
1481875122736.png
79KB, 1492x1172px
>>69720183
somebody once told me suf likes sucking off trannies.....can someone please confirm???
>>
>>69720242

I hadn't heard this but if he does then he truely is /ourguy/
>>
>>69718669
who's this ass clown
>>
>>69718669
I don't get it really. I find him overlong, pushy, inexperienced

"what's it like"

"yeah it's alright, do what you want pal"

you know?

clearly he was not around during the early
>>
>>69718669
I don't get the impression that he wants to move beyond YouTube. Why would he? It would mean a great loss in creative freedom.
>>
>>69720242
is it worse to suck off trannies or middle aged women
>>
>>69720207
But people who deslike capitalism ARE retarded.

Well, retarded or edgy 14 years old teens.
>>
>>69720313
What a mature and reasonable viewpoint

seriously dude, how old are you?
>>
This is a fact

He is the most important and influential music critic of this generation and there's nothing you can do about it
>>
>>69720328
>>
>>69720354
Marcel and Fantano's mom have already had sex. The struggle is over, go home and call your family.
>>
>>69720385
That's embarrassing. Do you have a developmental disorder?
>>
>>69720420
Ask your mother
>>
>>69720313
Okay, but we were talking about Fantano being a hardcore leftist.

The far left tends to not advocate for free market capitalism.
>>
File: Pappysammy.png (153KB, 404x405px) Image search: [Google]
Pappysammy.png
153KB, 404x405px
>>69720242
nah, that was Mr Hyde who did that boyo
>>
>>69719908
Its all true. It really isn't that complicated, the guy listens to music for, I would just guess, ten to twelve hours a day, and has been doing that for the past several years at this point. That's all he really brings to the table, but when that sort of depth of listening is behind his opinions, its hard to imagine any narrative where someone could say "oh that guy doesn't know what he's talking about, meme reviewer lel." His opinions are very learned, and I know personally I would absolutley cede to any disagreement we would have that he's probably "right" and I'll come to realize that eventually. And frankly everyone on this board should lend him that same respect, not because he's some almighty figure or anything, but if /mu/tants are really going to try and convince themselves that they're more dedicated to music than he is, and thusly their opinions carry more weight than his, they're deluding themselves because everyone on this board is a complete pleb retard. And also anyone pretending that you need a PhD to digest the flavor of the month dross he's typically reviewing needs to be reminded that, for instance, Frank Ocean's music is really not that complicated and it really doesn't require extensive musical background to digest it. And yes I would, and do, take him over the soulless indie machine any day.
>>
>>69720207
>ALT RIGHT
>FAKE NEWS
>ALT RIGHT
>FAKE NEWS
>>
>>69721006
I don't understand what you're trying to say here. Could you not talk in memes?
>>
>>69720451
>"your mom"
>almost thirty
wew
>>
>>69721121
Its *you're mom
>>
>>69718669
Yes, but the music critic industry is shit so that doesn't mean anything. People take him as seriously as Pitchfork now.
>>
>>69720313
You live in a state capitalist system. If there was actual fair free market capitalism in action, it would evolve into a freer and more cultured system in a course of a couple of years.
>>
>>69720207
>I do pay attention to him endorsing GamerGate, telling "SJWs" to drink bleach and making shitty "hey, aren't people who dislike capitalism retarded?"
How does that make him alt-right? Are there only SJWs and alt-righters in your world? Do you have to hate capitalism to be left wing? Think before you type

>MDE
He disagreed pretty strongly with MDE on his podcast, and effectively said that he likes him for taking people out of their comfort zone more than anything

>Sargon and TheAmazingAthiest
Literally leftists. It's clear "alt-right" just means "stuff I don't like" to you.
>>
>>69721192
>buzzfeed level understanding of economics
>>
File: 9d8.png (574KB, 600x653px) Image search: [Google]
9d8.png
574KB, 600x653px
>>69721238
>9gag level understanding of economics
>>
File: IMG_2544.jpg (60KB, 470x345px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2544.jpg
60KB, 470x345px
>>69721276
thanks u 2
>>
>>69719930
i disagree with most of this but I fucking hate his meme shit that he's started doing in the past year.
>>
>>69721220
dude not him but sargon? a leftist? please
>>
File: 571754151477514.jpg (37KB, 286x400px) Image search: [Google]
571754151477514.jpg
37KB, 286x400px
>>69721301
>>
File: IMG_2524.jpg (29KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2524.jpg
29KB, 300x300px
>>69721337
>>
>>69718669
No
>>
>>69721220
>Are there only SJWs and alt-righters in your world?
No, I don't think there's such a thing as an SJW.

>Do you have to hate capitalism to be left wing?
No, but you'd probably have to be against free market capitalism and if we're using your term "leftist," you'd probably be much further than center left.
Sargon calls himself a classical liberal. He's not a "leftist."
>>
>>69721326
literally called himself a leftist after trump won, and said that's why he criticizes the left so much.
>>
>>69721460
Literally constantly refers to himself as a classical liberal.

None of this actually matters though because he has no fucking clue what these terms mean.
>>
>>69721494
Doesn't matter. He's used both terms to describe himself and neither is "alt-right," whatever that's supposed to mean.

>>69721454
>I don't think there's such a thing as an SJW.
But there is such a thing as the alt-right, and not liking fictional SJWs makes you alt-right? Not really following
>>
>>69721531
Classical liberal is decidedly far more right wing than "leftist." My point, however, is that he doesn't understand any of the terms he calls himself. He thinks he's a leftist but not one of those dirty regressive leftists, he's a classical liberal who is opposed to systems that "breed millionaires" and hates those dirty "cultural marxists." The guy is straight up a fucking moron who has never read a book in his life. Any definition he gives himself is meaningless.

>But there is such a thing as the alt-right, and not liking fictional SJWs makes you alt-right? Not really following
It's not hard to follow. Alt right is a term coined by a white supremacist (Spencer) and adopted by places like Breitbart (who Sargon, at least at one point in time, seemed to endorse). Hell, the alt-right even has it's own subreddit.

On the other hand, SJW is a snarl word that is used to insult people who have any sort of mildly progressive belief. No one calls them self an SJW while Alt-Right is an actual political movement.
>>
>>69721663
It's so sad what happened to the term "SJW", as a pejorative that's not what it used to mean.
>>
>>69719908
>I'll take his reviews over the affectation and logical leaps that Pitchfork takes to corroborate their predetermined socio-musical narrative.

This for sure. Although Anthony has felt more like a provocateur recently with his "Not Good" reviews and using words like "cancerous" to describe albums. But I think its important to have reviewers outside of corporate influence who won't force corporate narratives onto albums in their reviews.
>>
>>69721764
In general pejoratives are probably not good to use to disregard an opponents opinion.
>>
>>69721663
"Classical" and "alt" are kind of a contradiction in terms. I don't really care about defining Sargon's politics, beyond my original point that associating with him doesn't make Fantano "alt-right."

>Alt right is a term coined by a white supremacist (Spencer) and adopted by places like Breitbart (who Sargon, at least at one point in time, seemed to endorse). Hell, the alt-right even has it's own subreddit.
So what on earth has Fantano (who's married to a black woman, by the way) done or said that is remotely white nationalist?
>>
>>69721792
It was always used with sarcasm to call out those in left-wing fandom circles for toxic bullying. They never cared about "social justice", instead it was just power tripping. The "Alt-Right" co-opted it with GG, but a term is still needed.
>>
>>69721792
It was an ironic term.
>>
>>69721907
>"Classical" and "alt" are kind of a contradiction in terms.
Ok. But we were talking about your definition of Sargon as a "leftist" (by his own definition) despite the fact that he called himself a "classical liberal" (protip: he's not that either). I never said classical liberals were the same as the alt-right, but sure, they have some general things in common.

In reality, Sargon's views seem to align most with the alt-right, regardless of what term he misunderstood and called himself this week.

>beyond my original point that associating with him doesn't make Fantano "alt-right."
Sure, I'll accept that. This doesn't change the fact that he hangs around with the alt-right and makes anti-"SJW" videos with the alt-right. So my original comment, that he's not gonna find any success outside of youtube as long as he associated with the alt-right is still completely valid even if we agreed that's he not alt-right.

>So what on earth has Fantano (who's married to a black woman, by the way) done or said that is remotely white nationalist?
I don't think he's a white nationalist, but his relationship with a black person means dick all in regards to his view on race. I mean, I'm not saying he's racist, just pointing out how shitty this logic is.
>>
>>69721986
>>69722009
I'm pretty sure it's still used sarcastically. The implication is that being a "warrior" for social justice is a bad thing. But yeah, I'll give you that it now pretty much means anyone with a vaguely progressive view on gender/race/sexuality.
>>
>>69721663
>Classical liberal
How's 17th century?
>>
>>69722123
I dunno, I'm not a classical liberal. Was that supposed to be some kind of zinger?
>>
he makes insightful points and it's always funny when modern rap fans get pissed when he doesn't give their favourite new rap album a 8/10+

id say he's not the most "musical" reviewer though, he's a pop critic so he doesn't go into the detail like musical theory or production. He approaches an album review much like a literary critic would approach a movie review.
>>
>>69722061
>joining the alt right anti-feminist circle
Is what you said. Having people on his podcast is not joining anything, it's having a discussion. You may be right about his association having an impact on his popularity - but even that I would dispute since MDE and Sargon are still very minor in comparison to Fantano, and these two one-off podcasts are not exactly amongst his most well-known videos. It's not what I was originally disputing, though.

>I don't think he's a white nationalist
OK, but to be clear you did say that he joined the alt-right circle and that the alt-right was white nationalist at its core.

>just pointing out how shitty this logic is.

It wasn't my argument, it was an aside (that's what "by the way" indicates).
>>
>>69722123
>anon talks about classical liberalism, therefore anon is a classical liberal

What an assumption you made there. Way to jump the gun.
>>
>>69722061
white nationalism is kind of opposed to interracial marriage, no? he could still be racist but not a white nationalist
>>
>>69722298
Why are there people on here that care enough about a YouTuber that they're willing to project racism or, at the very least, not rule out the possibility he's racist? I can't comprehend this infatuation or why you even think you might be onto something.
>>
>>69722250
>Is what you said.
Correct, let me rephrase that in a way that satisfies your pedantry: associating himself with the alt-right anti-feminist circle.

>Having people on his podcast is not joining anything, it's having a discussion.
You're being intentionally deceptive here, though. He's not just inviting these people to have a discussion, he's joining their videos to deliver anti-feminist messages. Doing that "questions white people have for SJWs" video and telling feminists to "drink bleach" is far beyond simply "inviting people on his podcast to have a discussion."

>but even that I would dispute since MDE and Sargon are still very minor in comparison to Fantano
TheAmazingAtheist has more subscribers than Fantano, don't know about MDE or Sargon.

>these two one-off podcasts are not exactly amongst his most well-known videos
Well, again, you're acting like these specific podcasts with these two people are the only things he's done. You're ignoring the shit he's done with TJ and his second channel which is full of anti-feminist "humor."

>OK, but to be clear you did say that he joined the alt-right circle and that the alt-right was white nationalist at its core.
Well, we fixed that with some language, but the alt-right is kinda complicated. It's definitely in bed with white nationalists but I wouldn't say that all alt-righters are neo-nazis. Many alt-righters have much more... mild/reserved racism, if that makes sense.

>It wasn't my argument, it was an aside (that's what "by the way" indicates).
Ah, so you just felt the need to point out that he had a black wife in a discussion about his alleged racism but it had nothing to do with the topic of his alleged racism. That makes perfect sense. Don't be obtuse.
>>
>>69722350
what? my point is that being married to a black woman is not compatible with white nationalism. I only mentioned the possibility of him being racist because it was mentioned in the comment I replied to as something that isn't proven true or false by who you're married to

read the thread first
>>
>>69722280
are you dumb or something, it's your assumption. I just pointed out the obvious and aimed it at any CL's out there.
>>
People respect music critics?
>>
>>69722298
Well, this is relying on that anon's jump in logic that since Alt-Right was coined by a white nationalist, that anyone belonging to the alt-right must also share whatever the views of Spencer are.

But, I'm sure there are white nationalists who think it's okay to subjugate black women as long as you don't breed.
>>
>>69722409
>Doing that "questions white people have for SJWs" video
Had no idea that even exists, so fair enough

>TheAmazingAtheist has more subscribers than Fantano, don't know about MDE or Sargon.
He also has nothing to do with the alt-right

>>69722409
>Ah, so you just felt the need to point out that he had a black wife in a discussion about his alleged racism but it had nothing to do with the topic of his alleged racism.
There was initially no alleged racism, we were talking about white nationalism. White nationalism is opposed to interracial marriage, so of course it's relevant. You can be racist and married to someone of a different race, but you can't be a supporter of a white nation if you're married to someone of a different race
>>
normies don't read reviews
>>
>>69722435
I'm the guy you originally replied to and.. what was your point? The entire argument was that Sargon doesn't know what classical liberalism is but still calls himself that and that classical liberalism is not compatible with the definition of "leftism." Literally no one in this thread, myself included, claimed to be a classical liberal. Replying to my post specifically and asking how's the 17th century was just confusing, desu.

Like I get your point now but I thought you were insulting me too.
>>
>taking critics seriously
>any year ever
Critics are either cynical entertainment or fanboy affirmation.
>>
>>69722501
>Had no idea that even exists, so fair enough
Okay, then maybe watch it?

>He also has nothing to do with the alt-right
Sure he does. Do you watch his videos? I'm guessing you do since you're so defensive of these people. Hell, he even endorses Trump. He fits the alt-right definition to a T.

>There was initially no alleged racism, we were talking about white nationalism
You were talking about white nationalism. I merely mentioned that a white nationalist coined the term (to show that the alt-right is not the same thing as a pejorative like SJW).

>You can't be a supporter of a white nation if you're married to someone of a different race
Well, sure you can, but really, that's besides the point because I never said Fantano was a white nationalist.
>>
>>69722700
The only videos I've seen of TAA in the last year have been pro-Bernie and making fun of Trump supporters. Trump is also the president elect, supporting him isn't indicative of being "alt" anything on its own.

>You were talking about white nationalism. I merely mentioned that a white nationalist coined the term (to show that the alt-right is not the same thing as a pejorative like SJW).
I asked what the alt-right was, and your answer was that it was created by a white nationalist and associated with Breitbart. That doesn't give me much else to go by if you're saying Fantano was in the alt-right (which you've now backtracked on)
>>
>>69722700
By the way, I'm interested, what have I said that was defensive of any of these people?
>>
>>69722763
>The only videos I've seen of TAA in the last year have been pro-Bernie and making fun of Trump supporters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MufUzn_xZH4

>I asked what the alt-right was, and your answer was that it was created by a white nationalist and associated with Breitbart.
No you didn't, you asked how I could call SJWs a boogeyman but use a term like Alt-Right. I was telling you what the difference was because you're unable to make this distinction. One is a snarl word and the other is a self adopted term of a movement.

>you're saying Fantano was in the alt-right (which you've now backtracked on)
I never said he was in the alt-right, I said he joined those circles, which is true. The only thing I "backtracked" on was making it more clear for you what I meant. I'd love to see a single instance in which I said Fantano was an alt-righter. The reality is that it's you that keeps jumping on shit I never said and running with it.

>>69722795
>By the way, I'm interested, what have I said that was defensive of any of these people?
Classifying them all as leftists and defending them against the label of alt-right.
>>
>>69718669

>meme reviews

yep. very respectable
>>
>>69722866
>Classifying them all as leftists
I only classified Sargon and TAA as leftists, and that was based on their descriptions of themselves, and TAA supporting Bernie. I'll happily accept defeat on that, because clearly I'm not up to date on their videos. Last I saw of TAA he supported Bernie and I was only aware of Fantano having Sargon on his podcast, not the other way around.

>defending them against the label of alt-right.
There was never a point in which I I said "alt-right" was a positive or negative term. I was arguing its accuracy.

>I never said he was in the alt-right, I said he joined those circles, which is true.
We've gone over this. You originally said he joined the "alt-right anti-feminist circle" (singular). That would make him part of the alt-right.
>>
>>69719930
He is in his 40's
>>
>>69723021
>Fantano having Sargon on his podcast, not the other way around.
I believe Fantano went on Sargon's podcast as well.

>There was never a point in which I I said "alt-right" was a positive or negative term. I was arguing its accuracy.
Well, one way or another you are defending them regardless of how you'd like to reword this. This isn't really worth arguing over though.

>We've gone over this.
We did, and I told you what my post meant. You don't have to accept that and continue to argue on behalf of the point you think I was making.

>You originally said he joined the "alt-right anti-feminist circle" (singular)
Yeah, referring specifically to the YouTube community.

>That would make him part of the alt-right.
I intentionally tried to make the language clear that I was referring to who he was palling around with rather then his actual beliefs. Obviously, I failed to make that clear enough. No, palling around with a group doesn't mean that you share all of their views.

>>69723047
That's even worse.
>>
>>69723021
>Sargon of Lelkaad is a leftist
Please kill yourself immediately, you're wasting valuable oxygen.
>>
File: fantano.png (2MB, 1434x782px) Image search: [Google]
fantano.png
2MB, 1434x782px
>Gil-Scott Heron, an irrelevant "poet musician" nobody gave a fuck about (except for maybe some hipsters who liked his "comeback" album), dies
>makes a deep emotional tribute video within hours of the news being released
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w2_d1e6EmU

>Lou Reed, a revolutionary innovative musician responsible for spearheading practically every subgenre of rock music post-1967, dies
>makes an emotionally neutral video a few days later where he says we still have the music and that he's not going to get emotional over someone he doesn't know personally and shares the topic of the video with his feelings on the god-awful flavor of the month Chvrches and Lauren's "online sexual harassment controversy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hN0W9NWbq4

Why does everyone on /mu/ like this hack so much? He doesn't know shit about music. And don't say "it's just a meme like Scaruffi and Pitchfork and we don't actually care" because he single handedly ruined the reputations of Odd Future, Zomby, and Whirr on this board, and at the same time started the Death Grips meme. He is the one reviewer whose opinions you morons actually DO care about for some reason.
Pic related. It's Anthony Fantano giving a Mumford & Sons album a strong 6.
>>
>>69723280
>implying Gill Scott Heron isn't based as fuck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aRNUsmfeck
>>
>>69719930
You talk stupid and your shit's all retarded.
>>
>>69723310
brilliant
>>
>>69719930
If Scaruffi can promote pedophilia and rally against homosexuality, Fantano can too.

Scaruffi isn't a memeshitter though, so maybe that's the difference.
>>
File: Implications_everywhere.jpg (50KB, 481x300px) Image search: [Google]
Implications_everywhere.jpg
50KB, 481x300px
>>69723364
>Scaruffi isn't a memeshitter though
>>
>>69720183
reddit
>>
>>69723377
I mean Scaruffi memes are all on 4chin and shit, Fantano has retarded characters like Cal and le funny hidden meme messages in his actual reviews.
>>
>>69723220
>I believe Fantano went on Sargon's podcast as well.
Right, I was saying I was wrong for thinking otherwise, due to not being up to date on all of these YouTubers' videos

>Well, one way or another you are defending them regardless of how you'd like to reword this.
Nothing I have said has been defensive or supportive of them in the slightest. Your only evidence to the contrary is that I said they weren't "alt-right." For that to be a defense you would have to know if I think that term is positive or negative.

>We did, and I told you what my post meant.
Your expansion was fundamentally different to your original statement. You backtracked. And that's fine, it just means we agree with each other on what I originally took issue with - Fantano being considered part of the alt-right.

>Yeah, referring specifically to the YouTube community.
This is new.
>>
>>69718669
he's the roger ebert of music. one day 'light x' and 'strong y' will become everyday colloquialisms like thumbs up and thumbs down
>>
>>69723419
>Nothing I have said has been defensive or supportive of them in the slightest. Your only evidence to the contrary is that I said they weren't "alt-right." For that to be a defense you would have to know if I think that term is positive or negative.
Well, you don't seem to know much about them in the first place. I have no idea why you felt the need to interject in the first place if you: a) have no idea what they believe, and b) don't think there's a negative connotation behind alt-right.

And defend simply means to try to justify a view point. If you're not defending an argument, I have no idea what the fuck you're doing.

>Your expansion was fundamentally different to your original statement. You backtracked. And that's fine,
Look dude, this isn't about winning or losing a "debate," if that's your end game, then sure, you got me! I'm trying to clear up a misunderstanding, and again, you can reject that all you'd like. That's not productive to the discussion but if it makes you feel better, sure, do it.

>And that's fine, it just means we agree with each other on what I originally took issue with - Fantano being considered part of the alt-right.
Well, no, we don't agree, I was just intentionally avoiding that topic. Please don't speak for me.

>This is new.
The anti-feminist youtube community is new? Er, okay. You can find many of them joining forces on that saw "questions for SJWs" video that I suggested you watched.
>>
i appreciate the fact he never brings pollytics into his reviews 8.5/10 reviewer
>>
>>69723427
that would be grate
>>
>>69723513
>And defend simply means to try to justify a view point.
Of course, but the implication in saying I was defending them (MDE, Sargon and TAA) is that I was defending their views. The viewpoint I was defending is the viewpoint that Fantano is not alt-right. Again, we've gone over this.

>The anti-feminist youtube community is new?
It's a new element of your argument. You never mentioned the alt-right circle Fantano was a part of as being exclusively on YouTube. In fact, you also mentioned Spencer and Breitbart.

> I'm trying to clear up a misunderstanding, and again, you can reject that all you'd like.
I completely understood after you clarified, but your clarification was actually fundamentally different to the original statement you made, not an expansion of it. If the "clarification" is your actual argument, fine, I have no issue with it. It's the original statement I took issue with.
>>
>>69723652
>Of course, but the implication in saying I was defending them (MDE, Sargon and TAA) is that I was defending their views.
Which you are...? You're defending their political views despite not knowing what they are.

Please look up dictionary definition of the words you use.

>It's a new element of your argument. You never mentioned the alt-right circle Fantano was a part of as being exclusively on YouTube.
Context, friend. Fantano is a YouTube commentator. The thread is asking if he's taken seriously as a critic. My point was that he's not going to evolve past his modest YouTube success when he's involving himself with the seedier parts of YouTube.

Like, look at MDE whose commercial success was killed by his involvement in alt-right circles on YT. That's my point.

>In fact, you also mentioned Spencer and Breitbart.
Yes, in response to this post: >>69721531. We were talking about the existence of a political ideology which extends outside of YouTube. Could you try to not conflate these entirely different discussions into one?

>I completely understood after you clarified, but your clarification was actually fundamentally different to the original statement you made, not an expansion of it
No, it was fundamentally different to your understanding of my statement. Again, you're too concerned with having a "got ya" rather than trying to listen and understand what the fuck I meant.
>>
>>69720908
on the other hand, the fact he only reviews flavor of the month makes him uninteresting to anyone with a more specialized interest, or "developed taste" and from what i could tell most /mu/tants realize what really interests them after a few months, because they're not forced to care about new releases to pander to subscribers to make a living
>>
>>69723790
>No, it was fundamentally different to your understanding of my statement

Original statement: "joining the alt right anti-feminist circle"
Clarified statement: "he hangs around with the alt-right"

>Context, friend. Fantano is a YouTube commentator. The thread is asking if he's taken seriously as a critic.
Right. The thread is about music critics. You could quite easily have been referring to an alt-right anti-feminist circle of music critics based on the context.
>>
What do you guys think his yearly income is?
>>
>>69723948
>Original statement: "joining the alt right anti-feminist circle"
Look dude, do I need to spell this out for you? A circle is a group of people with shared interests. To join means to connect. There's nothing inconsistent with my original statement to its intended meaning. Fantano has spent a lot of time involving himself in alt-right circles. You've taken some incredibly narrow definition of an (intentionally) vague statement that you wont let go.

My clarification wasn't meant to correct the original statement, it was meant to elaborate on something that in hindsight was a little too vague.

But like, honestly dude, why are you harping on this? Can you find a single instance where I appear to be making the argument you decided to run with? It's really starting to seem like you have nothing else to fall back on and because you need to "win" this "debate," you're becoming increasingly pedantic with semantics.

If you have to exclusively focus on your perception of how I didn't word my original post correctly, somethings wrong there.

>Right. The thread is about music critics.
Uh, look at the OP. It's a thread about Fantano.

>You could quite easily have been referring to an alt-right anti-feminist circle of music critics based on the context.
Yes, because that makes any sense.
>>
>>69718669
He could have been, but hanging out in alt-right circles is holding him back.
>>
>>69723971
I've heard Sargon makes about $5,000 per video. Fantano has about double the subscribers.

Probably somewhere in the $100,000s.
>>
File: 1390676080234.jpg (47KB, 403x392px) Image search: [Google]
1390676080234.jpg
47KB, 403x392px
>>69724182
>tfw fantano is making six figures for shouting memes on youtube while people who actually work hard live in poverty
>>
>>69724236
Less job security though, and he had to work up to that. Who knows if his brand of video will be as popular in 5 years.
>>
>>69724745
He's certainly got his foot in the door elsewhere if his channel's popularity fades a bit.
>>
Honestly I haven't watched him in months.

He became like a weird ingenuine version of himself. From when he first started out up through 2012 he seemed like a genuinely likeable guy who legitimately cared about music. Now he seems mean-spirited and like he only uses his reviews to voice some sort of repressed aggression. His reviews come off as seething. Five years ago he seemed pained to give a negative review, now it's like he loves it.
>>
His recent interview with Danny brown looked pretty professional and something someone like pitchfork would've made. Also he's close to 1 million subscribers. I'll take fantano any day over shitfork and /mu/ would too they just won't admit it.
>>
>>69725326
if you watched him recently you'd know he's giving out 7's and 8's like candy

he makes his negative reviews alot more comedic if thats what you mean
>>
File: 1480944198309.jpg (94KB, 938x944px) Image search: [Google]
1480944198309.jpg
94KB, 938x944px
>>69720908
nice blog faggot, u rite tho
>>
>>69721663
> No one calls them self an SJW
but they literally do

both your kind and the alt right love evoking no true Scotsman bullshit every chance you fucking get

Why is that I wonder? Maybe it's because you haven't ever read a fucking book and your only knowledge of politics is a telephoned version of Marxist theory you heard in your women's studies class and you prefer to call people names rather than make actual coherent arguments to justify your hollow worldview.

you faggots will let the world burn as long as the war-hawks and wallstreet elite who are constantly raping you don't say the n-word
>>
>>69725439
They're definitely more comedic, but much more scathing than ever.

I genuinely feel bad when an artist with a pretty good reputation/track record gets a "NOT GOOD" from Anthony. Very few bands are batting 1000, but taking context like that into critiquing music would kill the reviews.

I'd love to have some of my music reviewed by him one day, but I also fear he might not like it and say mean things about me ;-;
>>
>>69718669
He has a huge following butttt for how huge of a following it is, he SHOULD have more influence but he does not. So no. If he was respected he would be able to break new indie bands (and pls do not say he broke Dg cuz he did not) but instead he's changed to primarily reviewing hype releases that everyone who follows music relatively closely already knows about.
>>
Fantano is not alt right himself, like I highly doubt he would be in favor of racial segregation, he would vote to keep welfare and social security, but he wants desperately to appeal to alt right ppl, which is kinda pathetic. Own your actual viewpoints and don't pretend you're more right wing than you really are.
>>
>>69726035
I don't think this is the case

I think he thinks he is representing an underrepresented opinion of a classical liberal critique of the modern left. He would be right in seeing that as an underrepresented opinion.

There is and was a culture of silencing on the left for anyone who critiqued Hillary Clinton because of the threat of trump, and before that because you were 'sexist' if you did so.

Even if you are neo-liberal scum you can certainly appreciate the idea that the left needs to change now that trump is about to rape the united states.
>>
>>69725858
>but they literally do
Who?

And people who adopt the term ironically don't count.

>both your kind and the alt right love evoking no true Scotsman bullshit every chance you fucking get
What?

>Why is that I wonder? Maybe it's because you haven't ever read a fucking book and your only knowledge of politics is a telephoned version of Marxist theory you heard in your women's studies class and you prefer to call people names rather than make actual coherent arguments to justify your hollow worldview.
Haha, what? When did I do any of these things?

>you faggots will let the world burn as long as the war-hawks and wallstreet elite who are constantly raping you don't say the n-word
Yes, this is what marxism is about, of course!
>>
>>69726178
thank you for this lively debate
>>
>>69726178
>Who?
you are seriously asking me to provide you a real life example?

a shit ton of tumblr blogs constantly drone on about how they are proud to be SJW's and call themselves that

The rhetoric is nearly identical to alt-rightists, it bears the same shame, most people are unwilling to identify as one, but some do and tout that it's only unpopular because it's so "nuanced"
>What?
"that's not real feminism :^)"
"that's not real marxism :^)"

>Yes, this is what marxism is about, of course!
No but it is what the american left is about though

modern liberals consider revolt to be offensive, they would much rather hug the means of production
>>
>>69726638
>you are seriously asking me to provide you a real life example?
yea

>"that's not real feminism :^)"
>"that's not real marxism :^)"
What?

>No but it is what the american left is about though
Okay. I'm not American.

My friend it sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder.
>>
>>69726638
not him but american left =/= modern liberals

there are many americans who are leftists/socialists and whose ideologies are to the left of liberals; in fact in most leftist circles liberals are enemy #1 atm. most liberals are either complete neocons or just want a watered-down, easily digestible version of socialism.
>>
>>69726638
>a shit ton of tumblr blogs constantly drone on about how they are proud to be SJW's and call themselves that
yeah dude, examples pls
>>
>>69725922
I'm almost afraid to put out music because of people like him. I think music critics are just people who feel like they should be artistic but have nothing to offer so they try to make a career out of their understanding of other people's art.
>>
File: 1479551387053.jpg (22KB, 300x281px) Image search: [Google]
1479551387053.jpg
22KB, 300x281px
>>69718669
>respected
>music critic
pick one and only one
>>
>>69727589
tbf a lot of artists do that too
you get filmmakers who only learn from cinema as well
>>
>>69718669
>Passively aggressively threatens people with negative reviews if they don't give him money
>"serious and respected critic"

Okay.
>>
>>69727366
>All of the examples I’ve seen until quite recently are lionizing the person,” Katherine Martin, the head of U.S. dictionaries at the Oxford University Press, said in an interview last month. Because “Social Justice Warrior” is currently only in Oxford Dictionaries — and not in the Oxford English Dictionary itself — lexicographers there haven’t done a full search for its earliest citation. But a cursory search for the phrase turns up several positive uses, spanning from the early ’90s through the early ’00s.

>Baptist minister, the Rev. James Obey Sr.’s, 1992 obituary in the Houston Chronicle was titled, “Social justice warrior dies.” In 2007, “Social Justice Warrior” Monsignor David Cappo was honored with an award. And lawyer-turned filmmaker Ana Kokkinos told a newspaper reporter in 2009 that “what attracted me to law at that age was the idea of being a social justice warrior.”
>>
File: tumblr_maobgvW1i51r26r5ao1_400.jpg (38KB, 375x375px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_maobgvW1i51r26r5ao1_400.jpg
38KB, 375x375px
Nah, he has a huge positive bias towards Danny Brown and Injury Reserve because he knows them personally.
Floss is a 7 at best and Atrocity Exhibition isn't 9/10 material either.
Thread posts: 135
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.