[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Now that the dust has (hopefully) settled, what is /mu/ verdict

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 2

File: Solange_Knowles-830x830.jpg (94KB, 830x830px) Image search: [Google]
Solange_Knowles-830x830.jpg
94KB, 830x830px
Now that the dust has (hopefully) settled, what is /mu/ verdict on Solange a.k.a. Best Knowles' magnum opus A Seat At The Table
>>
it good :)
>>
I tried it. I found it derivative old ass R&B shit. I'm not racist. I'm not misogynistic. It's just shit.
>>
Def will put it on next time I forget to be guilty about being white.
>>
>>69711317
I don't really rate it to be honest.
>>
Nice try but I'm not getting tricked into listening to pop garbage.
>>
In 2016, when it still seems like a radical act to release a record that catalogues the nuances of black womanhood, she has done so with stunning candor.
>>
>>69711317
by this point y'all should know that end of the year lists,hell, the whole farce you call popular music criticism, are a pointless spectacle put on for basic bitch consumers like us. If you unironically 'care' about any given dollop of commodified audio content packaged into 'album' form getting a 'good'/'bad'/whatevs rating you are cucked beyond belief
>>
>>69711317
I enjoy it a lot more than Lemonade
Lemonade was just not good
>>
It's bad
>>
>knowles
is she a sonic fan ?
>>
she doesn't slay
>>
File: Cuckduck.jpg (309KB, 595x842px) Image search: [Google]
Cuckduck.jpg
309KB, 595x842px
>>
>>69711317
>Best Knowles
no
>>
>>69711317
Why is Lil Wayne rapping like Chance in that one song? Am I retarded or is he actually copying him?
>>
5/10

literally every track sounds the exact fucking same. it's not a particularly bad sound, but gets old around track 7. of a 21 track album.
>>
shit
pitchfork is pushing an agenda because of le racist white drumpf
>>
Wasn't a fan, I just didn't like it. I'm not racist I swear
>>
>>69712004
yes you are
>>
>>69711968
As a purely profit driven enterprise, Pitchfork could easily switch over to pushing Volkisch, Trump praising Schlager tunes and Marches over the next year, so don't fret. tomorrow belongs to us
>>
>>69711443
I wouldn't say a radical act, this has been done before and has gotten a lot of praise before. Now it is done again and is getting a lot of praise again.
>>
>>69712040
only cuz nu males and cucks worship this kind of degenerative shit
>>
Ugly.
>>
i honestly haven't met a single person who has talked about this album
and i know people who like beyonce (fucking trash """artist"""" btw) but nobody knows this album except for like a couple tumblr whores
>>
>>69712092
i can tell that you havent met a single person at all, anon.
>>
If you skip the retarded black power skits it's a decent album but nothing special, unless you place a LOT of value on being black and making sure everyone knows you're black and if they're not black they just don't understand.

Objectively a 7/10 at best. Britney's album was much better.
>>
>>69712131
I actually thought the skits were really well done and added a lot to the narrative. I do feel that the album suffers from being a little too long, but I thought it was pretty good overall.
>>
>>69711317
I think her next album is gonna be better. I hope it doesn't take 8 years lol but I feel like this album is a start of something amazing as opposed to actually being amazing.
>>
>>69712161
it wasnt THAT long though

the new kid cudi album on the other hand...thats fucking long
>>
>>69712062
this desu
>>
>>69712131
Ok I felt this way at first 5 or 6 listens and then it just CLICKED. Maybe it won't grow on you but I suggest you return in like 6 or 7 months when he hype has died down.
>>
>>69712203
>hype as died down

what hype?
>>
>>69712062
How is this degenerative? I understand things like idk Chingy and Blood on the Dancefloor and Shaggy but this? Degenerative? I don't think that word means what you think it means. It doesn't just mean anything with pro-black themes lol.
>>
>>69712224
anything that promotes niggers and BLM is degenerative
>>
>>69712203
>listening to an album the amount of times needed for you to start thinking it's good rather than just writing off the trash
>>
the album is so praised for a reason whether you can see it or not. i'll admit it took forever to click with me but that's really common with music of this genre (ie erykah badu, d'angelo). this album is just as good as lemonade. both objective masterpieces that have me wondering if they're gonna both keep their streak of top tier albums going
>>
>>69712224
when you respond to a comment like that seriously
>>
>>69712211
It debuted at #1 on the billboard 200 and currently sits at #101, and it's just about the highest album on the whole chart that doesn't get radio play
>>
>>69712040
the fact that it's being praised by white owned corporate outlets such as 'pitchfork' means it can't really be *that* 'radical'. 'pitchfork' is marketed at the 'young, hip' upper middle class demographic (mostly white, btw). Being 'millennials' they like to feel their consumer choices matter and are an expression of their 'social consciousness' .
>>
>>69711317
>p4k #1
>Bon Iver invented a new instrument and went a completely different path for his past critically acclaimed albums and produced one of the best albums I've ever heard
>#12
>Beyoncé & Rihanna cracked Top 10
P4k must be shedding viewership and are trying to replace it with Top 40 faggots. I'm actually disappointed.
>>
just listen more times and it will click with you unless you have a really close minded music taste is all i'm saying. it'll happen. if you hate neo-soul as a genre (or you're just racist) i don't know why you'd waste your time
>>
>>69712261
Well I didn't think it was trash at first, I thought it was like a strong 7.

Also what's wrong with listening to an album and then it clicks? I kept coming back to it cuz I wanted to listen to it cuz it's nice, if not amazing, and then eventually changed my mind and decided it was indeed amazing like a month ago
>>
when wwill it be my turn for angry black gf
>>
>>69712289
The album doesn't claim to be radical. There's a whole interlude dedicated to the idea that black pride is not about hating white people, whereas radical pro black people generally talk about hating white people pretty openly.
>>
>>69712312
Uh inventing a musical instrument means jack shit if your songwriting is bland. He should get other ppl to write his songs desu then the album would've been amazing.
>>
>>69712161
>I actually thought the skits were really well done and added a lot to the narrative.

Some of them were okay but some of them were just plain flat out wrong or hypocritical. For example, in "Tina Taught Me" the lady is talking about how she's proud to be black, which I can respect. But then she goes on to claim that white people act like when black people are proud to be black, that white people call that "racist" or "reverse racism". While there is a small group of people that might feel this way because they literally hate black people and everything they do, it's a small group so I think that's a major cop out - most white people don't give a shit when black people are proud to be black. It's when you're "proud to be black" at the expense or exclusion of white people, or in being "proud to be black" you are shoving it in our faces that you're black so we should respect that and feel guilty somehow about being white that's the issue.

She then goes on to essentially say it's totally okay that white people aren't allowed to have a white history month... proving her hypocrisy/cop-out and my point.

Have all the pride you want and I'll respect that, but don't bullshit, and a lot of those skits were objectively major bullshit.
>>
Why do black pride albums always gotta shit on whitey? Can't you just be proud of your race without always having to complain about whites?

Is this some sort of cultural/racial thing where they're not considered black enough within their race if they don't do that?
>>
>>69712473
whats not to hate about white ppl tho
>>
>>69712350
You have to be radical in this day and age, otherwise your 'pride' is not really different from the neoliberal 'be yourself' mantra of self-empowerment reflected in innumerable advertisements everywhere. Politics should be about those who lack power seizing it by any means necessary. Everything else is an illusion.
>>
Imagine sweater-vested, impeccably groomed, coffee-scented, beanie-wearing, bearded p4k nu-males listening to this at their desks
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.