[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I really want to drop out of college, move to a city, get a job

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (130KB, 750x901px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
130KB, 750x901px
I really want to drop out of college, move to a city, get a job as a waiter or something, and focus on writing songs all the time and playing gigs.

There's a little voice in my head that tells me that isn't a good idea, but I feel like it's something I need to do.

Advice??
>>
>>69690080
Life is short and you only do it once
If you can do this, fuck it all up entirely and still be okay you should do it now.
>>
>>69690080
Follow your heart dude. Best of luck if you decide to do it!
>>
if you're not as good as Austin Lucas, don't bother
>>
how much student loan debt do you have already? that can make something like this very difficult to manage
>>
>>69690229
I just finished my first semester, so I don't have much debt
>>
Honestly. You should do it.
I'm not sure how much weight anonymous users advice have on your life but I say go for it.
>>
>>69690080
Be prepared to be totally broke and utterly ignored and every good thing you do stomped on for at least 10 years

And if you're still there

Then funky, man,whatever
>>
>>69690080
lel you're fucking stupid if you do this.
>>
>>69690080
https://vimeo.com/93658952
>>
>>69690229
>>69690249
>ameridebts
>>
WE'RE ALL GONNA BE BIG ROCK STARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
File: dream catcher.jpg (171KB, 650x1140px) Image search: [Google]
dream catcher.jpg
171KB, 650x1140px
>>
yo anon, you dont have to do that in this day and age. it's not like the last decades where you go to somewhere w a good music scene and play and get picked up by some label; that can still happen but youre foolish to put all your eggs in one basket like that.

what you should do is play open mics around your college town, dedicate your free time to songwriting, get some sort of recording set up. lord knows it doesnt have to be good, just look at car seat headrest or that graphic design dad from pitchfork's article the other day. basically, try out song writing and performing to see if its even a promising option before uprooting your life. you can do a hell of a lot of groundwork online, no need to drop out of school
>>
>>69691108
But schoolwork takes up time I could be working on music and it's a lot of money for something I'm not sure I even want to do.
>>
>>69690080

Kill yourself before it's too late.
>>
>>69690225
I am better than Austin Lucas
>>
>>69690080
Don't. Really. Don't.
>>
>>69690080
You will probably starve to death and die, but who cares. Follow your heart. You'll spend the rest of your life wishing you did.
>>
DON'T DO THIS!!! If you do, you're an actual retard. At least now you can't say that nobody ever warned you about how stupid you're being.
>>
>>69690372
>degree from shit third world country
>>
>>69691193
I'm in the same boat as you OP. School is so draining and I never have enough energy or time at the end of the day to sit down and make a song. But I think it's always a good idea to have a backup plan. Finish school, it's just 3 more years, then pursue your music career. You'll have something to fall back on if you don't make it. This'll also give you some time to come up with some music in between the breaks in school.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmeUuoxyt_E
>>
>>69691409
>>69690406

I don't want to become a "rockstar". Of course it'd be fun, but it's not my endgame.
I just want to do what I love 24/7, and there's nothing I love more than writing and performing songs.
I've been playing sets at open mics and every time afterwards I literally feel like I just had sex. My hands shake and I can't think straight. I just want to do that everyday. It's the best feeling in the world.
>>
>>69691530
whatre your fav bands? what do you play and what college you go to
>>
>>69690080
If you think you will be happy, then do it.
>>
>>69690080
College is overrated. If you can't make it as a song writer/muscian (I sincerly hope you do). Just go to a trade school and make a good living.
>>
>>69691764
I like Neutral Milk Hotel, Bob Dylan, Joanna Newsom, Animal Collective, Sufjan Stevens, My Bloody Vallentine, The Beatles, The Beach Boys.
I play guitar, piano, and I sing.
I go to Skidmore college
>>
staying in college might be better than moving to an entirely new area and starting from scratch depending on the size of your school there are most likely people that know others that own venues use that to your advantage plus you could work on writing songs during christmas or summer breaks
good luck op
>>
>>69691108
you're in a complicated situation, op, because i agree with anon, but if you don't even know if you want to study what you are studying, then, fuck
>>
>>69691981
If you're the same the guy in the picture I think I remember your post a week or so back asking for advice. I liked your stuff man and good luck pursuing whatever you desire :)
>>
Why the fuck would you work while playing gigs instead of studying while playing gigs? The latter is the same amount of work, and gives you a safety net in case you don't end up homeless
>>
>>69691530
You can't do what you love 24/7. You have to earn a living.
>>
Yeah dude graduate and at least have a back up plan. Right now i have a job out of college and play music in most of my free time. There's no way i could make a living with music but that totally ok with me. The best part of that is that i don't have to stress about the music i make and i can play for my own reasons and i don't have to worry about other people liking it. Also with a job i can technically buy all the gear i want (i don't but i could). It's very rewarding this way. I will admit though i wish i had more time to play music but it's a trade off.
>>
>I really want to drop out of college, move to a city, get a job as a waiter
Fixed it for you.
>>
Graduate first dude. Have something to fall back on.

Being a full time career musician is something that takes a lot of work. I don't know how it works in the USA but in Australia you more or less manage it like a business if you actually want to get paid properly/go far with it with an ABN/APRA number and do taxes etc etc. You'll have to be consistently doing shows/recording/session work/composing/producing/mixing or mastering (a different thing all together but a lot of musicians branch out to this)/promotion/lessons or even playing in cover bands (whether you like it or not cover bands earn a ton of cash). Hard work but if you love it then it's all worth doing.

At the moment I work 6 days a week (at a decent paying job I enjoy) and run two bands (one doing occasional touring), getting a home studio setup and I'm hoping to be able to start tracking local bands soon since the nearest studio is a 5 hour drive and quite expensive. Eventually start up lessons and hopefully do some session work for local bands that need guitar/bass/keys/backup vocals. I'm far far FAR away from being able to sustain myself without my job or do it outside of weekends but one day maybe. Also depends if you sign up with a promotion/management agency as well as that will take a large portion of the work off your plate but they don't always work out for the best.

Any way that's my advice, take from it what you will, just some observations I've made. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do mate.
>>
Don't do it you retard, and if you're stubborn, waste that money on studying music production, you're wasting it right now if you're studying something you don't like, so you're probably better off like that.
>>
>>69693674
>and if you're stubborn, waste that money on studying music production
I feel bad for my friends studying those kinds of degress/diplomas, unless you're already playing a role in a music scene in some way you're wasting your time, those things have a huge disconnect from any actual industry. Not to mention you've or your parents paid a metric ton of cash for something with dick all job prospects.

I mean, if that's what you want to do go for it but I see people each year finish and then go "well wtf do I do now?"
>>
>>69693002
Hey thanks man :-)
>>
>>69691266
>Getting your degree from a US college
>Working at McDonald's to pay your loan back

The american dream

OP, I'd recommend to graduate first before doing this.
>>
>>69690080
there is no money in music nowadays dude. try and find something you wouldnt totally hate to do as a dayjob. you're gonna have to work either way.

unless you're willing to put up with how dogshit your life will be if things don't work out (and they won't)
>>
The fact that you need to ask is telling of something. Asking 4chan for a way to overcome your doubt isn't going to help you friendo. That shit is internal
>>
finish college first, get a job that pays the bills, and do music on the side. nothing wrong with this as everyone does it in the beginning so dont make any rash decisions. read up on the music business and learn the basics (all you need to know about the music industry is a good book, ariel hyatt cyber pr blog writes really good how to's, william taits HTBAMS blog writes a lot of unusual strategies, and read hypebot for anything good or different ideas). start playing gigs in your area and making cash and then scale it

start up a youtube channel and start releasing music. good luck OP
>>
>>69696200
found the failed musician
>>
finish your degree
get a job that has an okay money/office time ratio ( which is not the case if you work as a waiter )
practice erryday as much as you can.

enough succesful musicians didnt drop their studies before they became successful. people just dont talk about this fact because its not fitting in the "muh follow your dream carpe diem" meme.
>>
>>69691530
Ok then you should move to Austin

Since your priority is performance because waiting tables to pay the rent is sure as hell not going to give you more time to practice and write. Maybe try to get a graveyard shift building attendant job like I have where I could literally have band practice if I wanted.
>>
Drop out
start working a trade (maintenance for college housing is a good place to start, will introduce you to light electrical, plumbing, carpentry, etc)
it will still be draining but no debt, more life skills, cash
become a man through blue collar work ethic
funnel this world weariness into your music
you bring nothing interesting to the table working as a waiter
and if you want to drop out now, that feeling isn't going to go away. you'll just be more in debt the longer you pussyfoot this.
>>
>>69697038
How's the Austin music scene. I'm also looking for a place to move. I currently live near SF and it's dead out here. Everytime I go to an open mic I get a lot of praise and ppl that want to play with me. But every time I have an actual show no one but friends and a few legit fans show up. I need more than that. It can't be because I suck? I don't think people would lie about how much they like my songs haha. But I dunno. I'm so paranoid.
>>
>>69690080
Its probably not as great as you think it is
>>
>>69690336
>>69691231
Explain why. If it makes OP happy then what's wrong. Some people value happiness over security. You may not but that's for you to decide for yourself.
>>
>>69690080
Is pic related you?
>>
>CTRL+F
>lobotomy
>no results
>>
>>69696332
I met Will in Nashville at a songwriters circle 8 years ago at a bonfire. this was way before he started blogging (im assuming). super smart guy and very nice
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.