[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm sure you've all realized by now that 'musicians'

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: snowflake2-2.jpg (2MB, 2943x2207px) Image search: [Google]
snowflake2-2.jpg
2MB, 2943x2207px
I'm sure you've all realized by now that 'musicians' are the most self important, egotistical, narcissists on the face of the earth. Some of you must have some hilarious stories about some deluded 'artists' you have encountered in your musical travels?
>>
>>69689003
>/mu/
>music travels
>>
>How many guitarists does it take to screw in a light bulb?

>Just one, he hold the bulb and the world revolves around him
>>
>>69689003
I run FoH at a medium size club that has tours come through fairly frequently. Pro musicians are just like normal people. Some are cool, some are dicks, most are just like everyone else.
>>
>Small town, almost no music scene
>There is a local musicians page on facebook that I am a member of
>The only studio in town kind of sucks and most local artist's recordings are not very good
>Had got pretty good at mixing and mastering in my home studio, could easily do a better job than what I was hearing but still wanted more practice with different styles of music
>post on the facebook page saying if anyone wants any tracks mixed and mastered I would do it for free
>only a couple of people respond and they both say something along the lines of "I would need to hear your work first to make sure you would blah blah blah blah"
>these are dudes who just make shitty songs by themselves or with their shitty bands in a garage somewhere, not even guys who play around town
>literally offering to give them something for nothing that would make their entire life's work significantly better
>they seem almost offended
>just give up on the idea because their attitude is completely ridiculous and I don't want to help people like that even if it is also good practice for myself
>>
>>69689129
I think the key thing here is you are dealing with at least slightly successful pro musicians rather than small time amateurs who think they are pro musicians
>>
>>69689187
So, what you're saying is that you have exactly the same shitty attitude about it that they do?
>>
>dad has been a musician his whole life
>has resorted to playing bullshit covers bands and small time local acts
>every single one of his bands of old white dudes who never made it anywhere in life breaks up because of ego clashes
>they make a few hundred bucks a week playing summer of 69 at weddings and they still can't keep their egos in check
>>
>>69689235
I don't see how you figured that
>>
>>69689003
my gfs friend of a friend
knows a soundcloud rapper who got 100k plays over some generic trap song he made
and he is the nicest guy i've ever met.
>>
>>69689213
Well, to a point. I've worked with world famous musicians, admittedly past their prime, and they know what to do and and what to expect and know what's expected of them. There's always local bands playing support. They tend to be more clueless about what to do, but generally don't have 'rock star' attitudes. The amin difference between the locals and the tours besides the obvious gap in musicianship, is that the tour bands know how to set their gear so that it sounds good through a nice PA. Everyone is there to do a job. The tour bands are serious about their craft, they spend 23 hours a day dealing with random crap to perform for an hour (or less) and then move on to the next city. Sometimes they're tired, dirty, hungry and bitchy, but it's understandable. Surprisingly, very few are out right assholes, though. Of course, I'm not trying to be their new best friend, just trying to make their job as easy as I can. I want them to be in a position to be successful.
>>
>>69689365
Hey man. You gotta prove yourself in this business. It's hard work and competitive as fuck. People are wary. Sell yourself. Make it happen. Their time and energy is just as important as yours, yes, you're offering your service. Free. For now. But If you play it right. You'll get paid in time.
>>
>>69689391
Cool man.
I've known maybe ~10 dudes in my local music scene who were really genuinely talented and they were all good dudes. It's always the ones who aren't that great who are the assholes, and sadly those guys are usually quite good at getting work and positioning themselves as being well known in 'the scene' (3 shitty bars lol) and they seem to be friends with everyone.
>>
>>69689485
Well yeah but I wasn't asking to get paid, I wasn't even playing at using that experience to get paid in future, I just like doing it. They've already given up their time to recording, all they needed to do was send it to me and if they didn't like what I did then no one would ever hear it, they have nothing to lose and quite a lot to gain if the result is good.

I get the feeling it might've played out like when you hear some local band that isn't very good complaining after a show about all manner of stuff to do with the equipment, stage, mixing etc, when really they just sucked because they suck. That is to say if that is their attitude at that stage then they would probably try to find some way to blame me for their average recordings or whatever and it would end up being counter-productive.
>>
>>69689728
Yeah. Well, no one wants to admit they suck ass. Really, though, don't be discouraged. Wait a little bit and try again. It can only help you in the long run. Every band is different. I never mix two bands the same way twice. So, the more different stuff you do, you become more adaptable.
>>
>>69689235
not him but shut up with the pleb response. I'm sure the dude's right about what he;s saying. Always people like you to take the low road
>>
>put on a free concert
>was broke af at the time, everyone who came and played was told that it was going to be a pretty low budget affair using borrowed equipment etc
>some pretty decent bands agree to come and play
>there are a few people who didn't deliver on their promises of equipment so I have to rush around at the last minute getting non-ideal stuff like a PA with a broken tweeter, didn't have enough mics, stuff like that
>everyone still has a good time, the guys who are pretty well known are still happy with the whole thing since it was just a laid back fun sort of event
>maybe the best band in the area played last and had an absolute blast, said it was the best gig they ever played
>one of the mics shit itself half way through their set and a drunk person fell on the guitar player but no one cared because everyone had a great time
>some no name band who are really bad had asked if they could play, honestly I would've rather they didn't because they sucked something ruthless but that's not a very good attitude to have to someone offering you their time for free (which I did appreciate)
>they complain the whole time about everything
>acting like rockstars and keep saying they can do this and that because they are 'with the band'
>the dude keeps going on about how he could've brought this and that gear and it would've been so much better than this shit
>I had told him when he asked to play that we were borrowing all the gear, wouldn't have any lighting and anything he could bring would be appreciated
>it was probably the biggest show they ever played, no one would book them for paid gigs because they sucked so bad
>afterwards he says to give him a call next time I do it because they want to play again
>never do it again
>>
>>69689883
Yeah this is true, I'll put the word out again at some stage just working on some other projects at the moment.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.