[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is classical music considered to be the best ever made, as

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 6

File: bach.jpg (119KB, 735x911px) Image search: [Google]
bach.jpg
119KB, 735x911px
Why is classical music considered to be the best ever made, as if it can't be topped by any new music? Is it simply because it was made ages ago and people pretend it's the best out of respect for the musicians because they are long dead?
>>
>>69680122
yup
>>
File: 3.jpg (12KB, 311x559px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
12KB, 311x559px
>>69680122
>Is it simply because it was made ages ago

yes. you figured it out. it's over.
>>
Then what's better?
>>
>>69680230
I don't know but it seems like nothing new, no matter how good it is, could be accepted as being "better" than classical music.
I don't know if music can be objectively better than other music but classical music seems to be considered "objectively, the best".
I guess any music ahead of its time would be better than or as good as classical music imo.
>>
>>69680230
Kraftwerk
>>
File: 6.jpg (56KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
6.jpg
56KB, 720x960px
>>69680275
stop comparing art in the first place you fucking retard
>>
>>69680122
It's because people have this self-made image that they'll seem more intelligent and important if they claim to like classical music. It's our fault as a society for having forced this image of music with strings and piano being associated with class and intelligence.
>>
>>69680301
I'm not the one who does, I'm actually complaining about people who do. Can't you read?
>>
>>69680122
>it was made ages ago
>musicians are long dead
classical music has never ceased existing you fucking idiot
>>
>>69680329
i thought the classical era ended ages ago
>>
>>69680329
I'm obviously talking about classical music that was specifically made ages ago then, autist.
>>
>>69680122
>Why is classical music considered to be the best ever made
Because the people who listen to classical are pretentious and think their music is the best
>>
>>69680363
kill yourself
>>
>>69680382
You first
>>
>>69680357
classical (lowercase "c") = umbrella term for western art music
Classical (capital "C") = the period in music history in the later 1700's
>>
>>69680357
pro-tip: not all classical music is from the classical period
>>
>>69680370
spot the /mu/drone
>>
>>69680122
Classical music just means music that is passed down through compositions. It's very incestuous, and in fact there are actually only a few compositions that were shared around and altered very slightly.

Folk music suffers from similar problems. In fact, it's only around the advent of popular music (The Beatles) that artists really started to innovate and write new music.

The reason it's called popular music is because of the sheer population of people who became involved in music. It was the commercialization of music that allowed for this. Music was made to be sold rather than to be shared with specific people. That meant anyone could buy it and be influenced by it, and then make their own music. Instead of a few old men sharing century old compositions with each other, you had people all over the world contributing to music, developing a tapestry of sound. That's why you get such a diverse array of genres, from blues rock to indie rock.

A lot of confused plebs think they are somehow superior for listening to classical. I think it's the length of the songs that confuses them into thinking they are listening to something different each time, when in fact the tracks are mostly identical. Very few classical musicians even compose their own music, but in popular music you even get music from people who don't have access to studio-level production. There are a lot of lo-fi bedroom projects and garage bands.
>>
>>69680693
Why do you continue to deny this is beautiful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE2muDZksP4
>>
>>69680122
Better question. Why nobody cares about new Classical music and only focus on composers from the past? It's not like people stopped composing in this century.
>>
>>69680860
OP here, I've also wondered about this.
>>
>>69680860
There are a few good ones that I'll listen to, but a lot of it is weird techno shit, or movie soundtracks. I don't like listening to movie soundtracks as much as they're more of an accompaniment to the movie than a stand alone piece, some are dank though.
>>
>Four Seasons (Vivaldi)
>Mars, the Bringer of War (Holst)
>Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity (Holst)
>Night on Bald Mountain (Mussorgsky)
>Air on the G String (Bach)
>1812 Overture (Tchaikovsky)
>Marche Slave (Tchaikovsky)
>Dance of the Knights (Prokofiev)
>Waltz No. 2 (Shostakovich)

All better than anything released in the last sixty years.
>>
>>69681185
>t. plebeius maximus
>>
>lelelel the last memecore album that fantano gave a 10 last year is better than bach and anyone that disagrees is just pretending

/mu/ has fallen
>>
>>69680693
Interesting pasta
>>
>>69681185
Add MBDF and I agree
>>
>>69680122
I don't think many people consider it to be the best ever made OP, but, if it helps, here's why I'd say it's pretty awesome:

1) It can be very emotive.
2) There's a wide range of possible sounds due to the large number of instruments.
3) It was generally composed by someone imagining what it would sound like as an ensemble, which is pretty mind-blowing (at least, for me).

Hope that helps OP!
>>
>>69681185
Forgot to include New World Symphony, in my top three
>>
>>69680275
It isn't really possible to be "ahead of your time" any more. An entire system of musical composition has been gradually built up and eventually dismantled over the past 7 centuries or so, from plainchant through Beethoven's symphonies and finally culminating in the avant-garde of the 20th century (serialism, futurism et al.). There's literally nowhere left to go at this point.
>>
>>69681470
how about they make some new instruments?
>>
>>69681185
Your taste is disgustingly generic, mainly because you're convinced all modern classical is worse than those pieces.
>>
>>69681185

not any better than this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRvq-UfDeyA
>>
>>69681499
>modern classical
post some senpai
>>
>>69680122
Classical composers like beethoven and mozart are undoubtedly among the most talented musicians of all time, so most people who are into music appreciate their contributions and talent. That being said, what constitutes "good" music or the "best" music is highly subjective.
>>69680693 makes a very good point as well.
>>
>>69681499
Most of that list is modern classical you fucking retard. His taste is still pretty shit though.
>>
>>69681678
I posted that as bait, there are no good points there. The
>In fact, it's only around the advent of popular music (The Beatles) that artists really started to innovate and write new music
Is particularly retarded.
>>
>>69681692
Someone seems to be heavily misinformed!
>>
>>69681701
To be honest I just kind of skimmed it, a lot of it is retarded but the bit about how anyone contributes to music rather than just composers making classical music made sense to me
>>
File: 1454794357507.jpg (3KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1454794357507.jpg
3KB, 125x125px
>>69681692
>2 Baroque
>2 Romantics
>1 Post-Romantic
>2 Modern

>most of the list is modern
>>
My favorite classical music is actually fairly recent. Shostakovich, Bártok, Prokofiev, Schnittke, Penderecki, Kalevi Aho etc. It's just that the music is so complex and finely crafted, that's why it's so distinguished for me at least.
>>
>>69681937
post some of your favorite pieces please
>>
>>69681964
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmkDMTU-hb4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deQpNhT1Jr8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdPnUxQ1jlk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1TVnuzQFAY
>>
>>69681642
Not him but I'm a little unclear as to what you mean by "modern classical" so I''m gonna post stuff from 20th century to present.

>Tales of Hemingway by Michael Daughtery (2015)
Cello concerto based on the works of Ernest Hemingway

>Lincoln Portrait by Aaron Copeland (1942)
Work for orchestra and narrator written after the bombing of Pearl Harbor during a period of high American nationalism. About Abraham Licoln. I would recommend listening to recording that's narrated by James Earl Jones.
Also, Copeland's Clarinet Concerto is a great piece too.

>An American in Paris by George Gershwin (1928)
Symphonic Poem written by George Gershwin who's famous for his n"Rhapsody in Blue" which "took jazz off the streets, dressed her up and put her in the concert hall." Scored full orchestra, sax section, and taxi horns.

>Symphony no.1 "The Lord of the Rings" by Johann de Meij (1988)
Based upon the novels by J.R.R Tolkien and written for Wind Ensemble. However, personally, I believe the arrangement for full orchestra performed by the London Symphony Orchestra is superior to the original. Last movement is a little cheesy but still a great piece.

>Black Dog by Scott McAllister (2003)
Clarinet Concerto with Wind Ensemble based on the Led Zeppelin song. of the same name. Features extremely difficult passages for the soloist as well as extended techniques (glissando, pitch bending, growling, etc.) Very heavy metal in sound.
I'd also like to mention Scott McAllisters' composition, "Freebirds" based on the Lynrd Skynrd song. It's a double clarinet concert that is twice as hardcore as Black Dog but is a little harder to listen because off all the clarinet glissandos. May sound obnoxious at times.

>Water Passion by Tan Dun (2000)
Very contemporary piece written by the composer of the soundtrack to "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon." Written for SATB choir, percussion, violin, cello, and 17 bowls of water. I'm gonna be honest,
>>
>>69681486
It will probably fail unless its digital and then when it is its gonna suck.
>>
>>69680230
music is subjective you friccin moron
>>
>>69680854
evanescence did it better
proof that death metal is the GOAT genre
>>
>>69680275
classical was head of its time on many many occassions
>>
>>69682314
not entirely, no
>>
>>69682829
then you've more to learn
>>
>>69682842
wrong
>>
>>69682120
MERDE
MERDE MERDE MERDE MERDE MERDE
>>
>>69680297
bait
>>
>>69682849
dont reply to me again or else i win
>>
>>69680275

What I think is that the general modern lifestyle is not really suitable for composers.
Beethoven got really good at composition after 30 years of intense practice. Behind that quality there is an ungodly amount of hours, and nobody does that anymore.
>>
>>69683336
Cal dropping muscular and elite truthbombs
>>
Handel is shit desu
>>
>>69686328
WRONG
>>
File: More Options.png (20KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
More Options.png
20KB, 800x600px
>>69680122
Because classical composers actually know what they're doing. Combine that with natural creativity, ability to learn from all the masters of the last 500 years, and the professional drive of classical musicians, and they make great works of art.

Popular musicians are just too busy trying to get famous, or too lazy to learn how to make music properly, that or they think learning theory will limit their creativity (which is laughably lazy and ignorant)
>>
>>69684650
>nobody does that anymore.
contemporary composers do.
hell, even popular musicians put in a lot of hours practicing and writing.
>>
>>69687069

Contemporary composers are such a minority, and honestly none of them has managed to actually become famous (at least not in the last 40 years).

>hell, even popular musicians put in a lot of hours practicing and writing.

The practice of classical composers and instrumentalists is on a whole other level. I'm pretty sure that Kanye spends a lot of time listening to complex music and study shit, but we both know that he, like almost everyone else in popular music, is a amateur at best.

Study composition or compose 10 hours everyday for 30 years and you will become truly great and immortal.
>>
>>69687165
>none of them has managed to actually become famous
what has got to do with anything?

If you're part of the classical world, you know about contemporary composers, so they do become famous within their genre. Guys like Arvo Part, Whitacre, John Adams, Lachenmann, Ferneyhough, Penderecki, all famous in classical circles.
>>
>>69687037
creating a label for artist you don't like so you don't need to bother critiquing their music is lazy as well
>>
>>69688179

You're talking about 10 to 20 guys who are recognized worldwide, while ignoring the fact that every major city has literally thousands of contemporary composers.
>>
>>69688523
>10 to 20 guys who are recognized worldwide, while ignoring the fact that every major city has literally thousands of contemporary composers.
thats what fame is like in any genre son
>>
>>69680275
Classical music is not superior to other genres depending on what you value in music. Just look at how many bland classical composers there are these days. Classical listeners may be quick to say that non-classical musicians of today do not measure up to the greats, like Beethoven, but who the hell does? If your main interest in music is mere sophistication of form, then classical music is as great as ever and certainly superior to pop music (in terms of sophistication). But to me its more than just sophistication, it's about emotional power and intelligence. And, for me, the well has dried up. What I see when I look at the past is not a superior genre, rather it is superior talent. There are no more musical giants anymore. This is about talent, not genres. If someone as gifted as Mozart were around today and devoted himself to writing brilliant pop songs, how would someone go about saying classical music is the best?

So, no, I don't believe in superiority of genres, but I do believe in superiority of talent. And to my limited knowledge, nobody in the last 30 years are in the same league as Bach, Chopin or Schubert.

Also I get the impression that you've not explored classical music yet. You should. So should everyone else.
>>
>>69688779
What are some good Schubert pieces, I've never really listened to him
>>
File: cover.jpg (57KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
57KB, 500x500px
>>69688837
>>
>>69680230
popular music, in any capacity except formalism
>>
>>69688837
Best starting place might be his 8th symphony. But also check out his 9th symphony, String Quintet in C Major, Piano Sonata No. 21, String Quartet No. 14, Trout Quintet, "Ave Maria"(Ellens Gesang III), and his Winterreise.
>>
For me it's like ballet or atelier produced paintings/sketches. They are students that live and die for the fundamental structure of these arts. They train like Olympians to reach this impossible level of mastery.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.