[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Art music did not exist until romanticism. Previously music was

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1439097938282.png (117KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1439097938282.png
117KB, 600x600px
Art music did not exist until romanticism. Previously music was made for events, practical purposes, or paid commissions. It was not until after Beethoven that the idea of art for arts sake when it comes to music was actually a thing. Therefore, if we consider classical music to be synonymous with academic art music, then music pre romanticism is not classical music, it is instead, popular music, or pop music for short. When you listen to Mozart, you're essentially listening to the top 40 radio of the 18th century.
>>
>>69668911
no
>>
>>69668930
yes actually
>>
>>69668941
no
>>
>>69668911
[citation needed]
>>
>>69668975
Where's the lie? op's point is that art didn't used to be as easily accessible. It was a savory morsel exclusively for the rich. He's not too far off in implying that until romanticism came around, music was just shit a bunch of hoity-toity rich white dudes hired other hoity-toity rich white dudes to do for them while they tried to bone zone their hoity-toity rick white chicks. (In the west anyways. Meanwhile africans were defining what the future of modern music would sound like.)

Anyways op, that's worth considering. I always think it's pretentious when people put classical music on a superior pedestal to modern music, basically out of statement.
>>
>>69668911
there's no such thing as "art music". every musical piece made nowadays exists either with a certain purpose or for a certain crowd. p4kcore for numales. bleeps for productionfags. indie rock for college pussies etc. they overlap, even. if you do not belong to a certain scene, no one will care what kind of music you make
>>
>>69669037
>op's point is that art didn't used to be as easily accessible. It was a savory morsel exclusively for the rich.
Not true, but even then it's clear that Folk music was the Pop music of it's time

>music was just shit a bunch of hoity-toity rich white dudes hired other hoity-toity rich white dudes to do for them while they tried to bone zone their hoity-toity rick white chicks
Hopefully bait

>(In the west anyways. Meanwhile africans were defining what the future of modern music would sound like.)
Primitive music will always be popular as long as there's primitive people
>>
>>69668911
Pop music back then was peasants playing lutes.
>>
Just want 2 pop in and say you folks have a child's grasp on music history.
>>
>>69669064
That's like saying there's no "art literature", only the higher echelon of literature can be considered art
>>
>>69669277
in my experience, even the people who perform academic music jerk off to each other's skill/performance. academic music is still a scene
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.