[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this album actually good or is it just a meme? Why do people

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

File: unknownpleasures.jpg (116KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
unknownpleasures.jpg
116KB, 600x600px
Is this album actually good or is it just a meme? Why do people hold it to such a high standard?
>>
>>69565102
cuz people like it
>>
>>69565102
It's a meme. Just a 35+ year old inside joke, which you exposed.
>>
definitely has a unique atmosphere that influenced a lot of bands.
>>
>i ain't never run from nuthin but da police

What did he mean by this?
>>
haunting lyrics, you can tell he isn't making shit up
repetitive droning that sticks in your head
>>
>>69565102
its a good album
ofc its a meme but DSOTM is too
i dont know but imo sth doesnt have to be bad just because its a meme
a meme album is anyways just a popular album on this board so who gives a shit
>>
It's an alright album but a pretty good introduction to post-punk.
>>
It's really good. Hannett's production, Curtis's lyrics, and the overall atmosphere created is amazing.
>>
It has a better cover than what's on the album
>>
>>69565102
Why don't you listen to it and decide for yourself? I'll help you.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ncJ8FCvCofw
>>
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>or
it's both, mate.
i fucking love that album but it's also been memed to oblivion by hot topic core teenagers and subsequent post-ironic shitposting.

>Why do people hold it to such a high standard?
because it's a "classic".
i guess it was once a very, unironically, popular record - if you could believe it.
>>
>>69565504
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvPIvoJkmGs
>>
>>69565416
This
>>69565496
Also this
>>
>>69565496
OP here, I've already listened to it once but I couldn't figure out if I was falling for another shitty album /mu/ likes for some reason or something actually good.
>>
>>69565623
The album was released in 1979 and is still talked about and praised today by more than just /mu/. There must be something good about it to contribute to it's longevity.

Have you considered that it may just not be for you? We all have our own music tastes, after all.
>>
File: 1479838534679.jpg (38KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1479838534679.jpg
38KB, 500x375px
>>69565623
Listen to it in your car at the current weather in northern hemisphere. Hopefully with some humidity. It's cool outside. Don't listen to it because it's cool to listen to it or whatever. Set and setting. Sentence fragments. Just phrases!
>>
>>69565158
norf norf or get scorfed bitch
>>
>>69565656
>>69565675
I've only listened to it once, if I don't like an album I usually give it a couple more listens before I decide if it's actually for me or not. I'll probably give it 10 or so more spins before I form an opinion on it.
>>
Other people have said it here already, but yeah it's a good album. It has a depressing atmosphere and probably sounded unique at the time (I wouldn't know, I wasn't around in 1979). Overall, it's a good introduction to post-punk. However, /mu/ hates anything popular, and this album is admittedly the favorite of teenagers who are just now discovering new music. They all of a sudden think they're unique for liking this music, thinking that it's unknown even though the full album on youtube has 8.5M views.
>>
>>69565102
One good song and the rest are absolute shit.
>>
it's influential and it's really great, it doesn't have to be the greatest album of all times but it's still great
>>
this album is fantastic, I'm listening to it right now
>>
>>69565102
brilliant lyrics and every aspect of the music has an uncanny ability to repress negative emotions like anxiety and depression
>>
It's one of the best examples of the post-punk genre although Curtis' lyrics stand out on their own.
>>
>>69565717
It's a helluva grower. I know it took me quite a while to pick out the subtleties in it. And really, its subtlety can easily make first spins disappointing.
>>
>>69565102
As they say, it is an influential album. For some people, it might sound dull and boring.
>>
>>69566735
there's a shrouded bleakness to it akin to depression
>>
>>69566697
Because it doesn't really have any hooks

Doesn't deserve the hipster credit though, once you've listened a few times you see it really is a great album
>>
>>69565504
WUZ STRANGERS N SHIT
>>
>>69565541
classic
>>
>>69565158
fucking kek
>>
cool t shirt core

people like to romanticize musicians that killed themselves
>>
>>69567890
if Ian were alive today I'd still be listening to unknown pleasures
>cool t shirt core
where are you people from who see this t shirt everywhere? genuinely curious. i haven't seen a single person wearing an unknown pleasures t shirt in my life. is this a US thing?
>>
File: IMG_20161209_203204.jpg (3MB, 3480x4640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161209_203204.jpg
3MB, 3480x4640px
Me irl
>>
>>69565102
both
the backstory makes people think it's more powerful than it really is
>>
>>69565102
Only the first track is good.
>>
>>69568040
maybe if you like dick
>>
>>69567967
>is this a US thing?
it might be. i met someone with it tattooed on his arm and when i asked if he liked joy division he had no idea what i was talking about
>>
Closer is better, but Joy Division is important.

the fact they've been reduced to a meme is one of /mu/'s biggest failures
>>
>>69568076
>when i asked if he liked joy division he had no idea what i was talking about
same could be said for a lot of assholes with tattoos. sad
>>
>>69568099
>implying only /mu/ is responsible for turning it into a meme
ahem
tumblrinas
>>
>>69565158
this nigga killed himself
>>
File: metal box.jpg (31KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
metal box.jpg
31KB, 300x300px
pretty good album, but sounds lightweight compared to this.
>>
>>69565102
there is at least 6 different album with that cover, you fucking sperging plebs
>>
>>69568099
>Closer is better

What took you so long to arrive?
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.