[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have you ever shared an opinion about music that sent the entire

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 9

Have you ever shared an opinion about music that sent the entire room into conniptions?

Last year I was in a room with a couple of hipster-types from college who were playing Kanye West. Somebody who knew I had a pretty high music IQ asked what I thought, and I told him that hip hop wasn't my thing.

There was a great big pause, and everybody stopped talking while Kanye moaned over the speaker

My acquaintance pressed me on it: "What do you mean you don't like hip hop? Everybody listens to hip hop"

I said: "Hip hop musicians are not intelligent or talented. The vast majority don't know how to play instruments or compose songs, and they overwhelmingly rely on the studio musicians and samples of better, more talented artists to make their own music for them." The token black guy in the back of the room made a silly Twitter face and a couple people gave that pity laugh they afford to black people when they know they're trying to be funny, but I wasn't done

"The Beatles's worst record featured more talent and skill than every single hip hop track in the history of recorded music."

The room went apeshit. Apparently pointing out the superior musicianship of dadrock in comparison to all of hip hop is a BIG no-no. The black guy, who apparently was an aspiring rapper, stood up and started sputtering about how instrumental skill and knowledge of music wasn't necessary to produce intelligent music (LMAO). My acquaintance shot me the dirtiest look, and some quiet girl said, "So why don't you fucking leave?"

I was obviously in the right, but I saw that Pitchfork and Reddit had brainwashed them too deeply for any argument to be worthwhile, so I left. Honestly the opinion is only controversial to a certain subset of the population, most people agree that rappers aren't talented.
>>
File: welovedyourpost.jpg (19KB, 432x264px) Image search: [Google]
welovedyourpost.jpg
19KB, 432x264px
Dang anon, you've really changed my outlook on this issue
>>
itt things that happened
>>
>>69564882
While I disagree with you OP and think there are rappers who are talented as vocalists and lyricists (MF Doom has rhymes and wordplay that are quite impressive to me), I will say that whenever I say in public that Queen is overrated people literally lose their shit. Actually try this and see the reactions. It can be quite hilarious as people who have never listened to a full album in their entire lives go into conniption fits because you suggest that their blessed Freddie Mercury wasn't such a god after all.
>>
why do you seem to value the artist's "intelligence" over good music
>>
>>69564954
queen are underrated by /mu/ and overrated by 9gaggers
>>
>>69564882
>"The Beatles's worst record featured more talent and skill than every single hip hop track in the history of recorded music."
I know this is bait but this is just cringe.
>>
>>69564882
>I sperged hard and people laughed at me and now I'm gonna go on /mu/ and try (keyword: try) to make me sound superior in this story
>>
File: 1480694411160.jpg (103KB, 419x536px) Image search: [Google]
1480694411160.jpg
103KB, 419x536px
>how to be an autist
>>
>>69564882
The level of social retardation on this board really blows my dick off
>>
>>69564882
this copypasta always makes me mad
>>
>>69565024
It's objectively true though...
>>
>>69564882
Some hip hop is amazing though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1ZwaRVlNVY
>>
>>69565661
i love eminem cause he actually raps about real life and not guns and money and stuff
>>
>>69565459
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9rs9PSG9qE

http://genius.com/Dalek-classical-homicide-lyrics

This song is better than half of the Beatles whole discography
>>
i can't take rappers seriously because half of their lyrics are
yo yo nigga hoe shit

is there any good rapper that doesn't use such words?
>>
>>69564954
I actually really like Queen, but one time this girl was telling me that Freddie Mercury was the greatest singer of all time and that literally no one else could ever compare, I told her I didn't think he was THAT good and she lost her fucking shit.
>>
>>69564882
i was rooting for you in the story but then i go to the beatles part.

THE FACT THAT
>>
>>69565213
What's 10x more autistic was that someone typed out this long story and thought it was remotely entertaining, creative, or believable.
>>
>>69565459
There isnt more artistic merit, talent, and skill in Beatles for Sell than in Madvillainy, Absence, Donuts, Entroducing..., Deltron 3030, Modal Soul, The Low End Theory, The Unseen, etc. etc.
>>
File: low-quality-bait.jpg (3KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
low-quality-bait.jpg
3KB, 160x160px
>>69565730
>>
>>69565749
Most music is though
>>
>>69565749
Dalek is a collective of pseuds posturing as challenging and experimental to fellow pseuds who assume noise = innovation. No, it was innovative when the Beatles introduced the deliberate use of feedback to pop music in 1964's I Feel Fine, what Dalek does is easy and derivative. They're basically Odd Future for pretentious undergraduates. Unlike Dalek, The Beatles were actually able to bring the advances of art music e.g. musique concrete, Stockhausen, drone, and give it Mozartian melody and an English music hall veneer, restructuring it into focused, mellifluous, highly organized and technically competent entertainment that rewards repeated listenings.

The comparison is moronic. Even the lyrics are embarrassing, it's just a free association of rhymes for the sake of rhymes, no sense of narrative or sonic purpose like the Beatles. I'm embarrassed for you because I can tell you actually thought dalek was interesting music.
>>
File: 1393703239715.jpg (61KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1393703239715.jpg
61KB, 480x640px
>>69564882
>>
>>69565749
lol those lyrics are lame prog rock levels of cringe
>>
File: 1480907385082.png (191KB, 432x400px) Image search: [Google]
1480907385082.png
191KB, 432x400px
>>69564882
I honestly can't tell who's in the wrong here. Sure, the whole dadrock argument is a little lame, but the fact that they flat-out shunned you for not being part of their hivemind is a little alarming.
>>
>>69566106
Its was a joke, sarcasm, a meme even. None of it was true, shame on you for thinking it was.
>>
>>69566007
>Dalek does is easy and derivative
>proceeds to compare to musical act that came out decades later
L O L

>Beatles
>musique concrete
>Beatles
>drone

>>implying anyone shoved a black metal solo disguised as an instance of raw data in a rap song before Dälek
>implying the lyrics wouldn't be praised by retards on this site if they were on Madvillainy or other record that kiddies use to pretend they know hip hop
>not understanding Dälek's use of religious inspired jargon
>trying to shit on lyricism because it's the front where most rap music shits on most rock music
L O L2
>>
>>69564882
can someone post the version of this picture with 4chan added?
>>
File: o1lROnY.jpg (168KB, 960x756px) Image search: [Google]
o1lROnY.jpg
168KB, 960x756px
>>
>>69564882
I call shenanigans as no self respecting hipster would be listening to kanye
>>
>>69566369
>self respecting hipster
>>
>>69564882
Bait or not, it takes some creativity to come up with such an autistic sounding situation, so congrats
>>
>>69564882
>>69566229
The coming generation of kids is going to be either hard centrist or right-wing after the shitshow liberal millennials have wrought upon the political climate, holy shit.
>>
>>69566461
>implying the alr-right didn't create a big shitshow as well
>implying the coming generation of kids wasn't a big part of the liberal shitshow
>>
>>69566607
>implying the alt-right is backed by the media and the establishment as the current wave of liberalism is
>implying the alt-right is not the uprising of a following cultural movement opposed to this liberal shitshow
>implying he is not referring to a NEXT generation, and not the current
>>
>>69566671
>implying literally all politics isn't usually a shit-show
>>
>>69566229
The google one is really just the internet in general cause you can find out bloody everything.
Youtube ain't taught nobody to be themself
>taught to laugh
If deviant art does that then an art gallery does it better.
That facebook one is stupid
Sharing pictures and sharing are not the bloody same
The twitter one is bollocks
Pretty fucking sure the meme 4chan addition is the only one vaguely accurate.
>>
>>69566724
Wow crazy stuff anon, I also think the picture is dumb :) Simply epic haha
>>
>>69566461
>>69566671
>implying this wave of progressivism is any different from the now normalized progressivism of the past
>implying conservatives haven't always leveled the same complaints since the dawn of civilization
>implying they haven't been wrong nearly every time

the times they are a changing m8
>>
Hip hop is just boring and doesn't go anywhere artistically. It's just thug fantasies for cucks and liberals to feel tolerant to and blacks to chimp out to. The reason rap is so shit is because blacks are too stupid to do anything other than mumble in front of a shitty beat.
>>
>>69565000
>>69564954

trips confirms.

of course queen is overrated, its actually pretty lousy to my ears

fucking goddamn, am i the only one who feels like the only good rock and roll was Hendrix and The Velvet Underground

the Beatles, pretty good too, and pieces of other artists are alright. Blues, a different story, a lot more soul there, but damn alot of rock is just vapid shit
>>
>>69566007
This. But stop glorifying the Beatles, they were just a pop band with fancy equipment. Popular music never "evolves" artistically. Music is not for that. Avant-gardism in popular music is always just psuedo-intellectual posturing with lel so weird xD aesthetics. "Experimental" pop, rock, and rap is simply embarrassing. Popular music is not for that. If you want artistic depth, listen to classical. Even then it's just pure music, rousing sound, nothing that can really convey ideas.
>>
>>69566745
>hurr there has never been a right-wing movement since the Enlightenment
>hurr progress is a real thing
>hurr right wing = conservative
What was Nazism then?
>>
>>69566821
holy shit shut up, what the fuck are you talking about
>>69566813
you too, hendricks and vu being only good rock music isn't even contrarian, just ignorant
>>69566767
and fuck you too
>>
>>69566862
Experimental popular music isn't a thing.

When a faggot uses a le ambient noise sample xD and thinks he's hot shit for it he's a retard.

The avant-garde is dead.
>>
>>69566821

terrible anon just terrible

the best of pop is always the kind that's pushing boundaries a little further

Hendrix, Bjork.. classical, lmao get over yourself, it was another period in history dumbo that was for "aristocrats only"

but i guess you probably assume that patriarch posture in full blown doggystyle anyway
>>
>>69566843
I was more responding to the idea that modern progressivism is somehow notable for being a "shit show".

And yeah of course hard right wing movements occur, but in western society they tend to not last, do I really need to explain how Nazism was an actual shit show?
>>
>>69566881
>Experimental popular music isn't a thing
why not, I can list a bunch of examples
>When a faggot uses a le ambient noise sample xD and thinks he's hot shit for it he's a retard.
One example please
>The avant-garde is dead.
According to who? When did this occur?

You're embarrassing yourself
>>
>>69566745
>>implying this wave of progressivism is any different from the now normalized progressivism of the past
The difference being that back in the 70's those idiots were asking their country to get out of Vietnam and give up on the war like a bunch of pussies would do to their own country during a time of war (and a war they lost LOL), and nowadays they are painting their hair pink, putting an ear stretcher on and pretending that there are 31 different genders like only someone who lives in a social paradise devoid of problems would.

>>implying conservatives haven't always leveled the same complaints since the dawn of civilization
>ISIS, trans bathrooms and jobs being shipped to other countries have happened since the dawn of times

>implying they haven't been wrong nearly every time
>like that time they opposed to communism, which destroys everything it touches
>like that time they voted for the end of slavery as the democrats voted unanimously against it in the USA
>like that time the EMPIRE freed the slaves in Brazil
>>
>>69566907
>the best of pop is always the kind that's pushing boundaries a little further
>Hendrix, Bjork.. classical, lmao get over yourself, it was another period in history dumbo that was for "aristocrats only"
I remember when I thought like you.

Pop music DOES NOT push boundries. Nothing now does, or should, intentionally, in the way of avant-gardists. Pitchfork would have you believe that any old music with weird xD aethetics and sounds are "experimental", but this is a meme. Bjork and Hendrix don't do much that's new, and that's perfectly fine. The obsession with novelty is what's been destroying popular music.
>>
>>69566936
you're actually retarded if you think that progressivism isn't the new conservativism. Leftists are the establishment now.
>>
>>69566907
>classical
>aristocrats only
When will this meme end?
>>
>>69566958
ok dude

>>69566989
it was.. the most music commonfolk ever heard was folk tunes
>>
>>69566938
>why not, I can list a bunch of examples
do it
>One example please
Choose any random album on Pitchfork's BNM
>According to who? When did this occur?
According to me and other intelligent people. I would place the end around the 1960s.
>>
>>69566958
Certain pop music does push boundaries, how can you deny that? Hendrix did a ton that's new, as did Captain Beefheart, as did Frank Zapppa, as did the Beatles, as did Bob Dylan, as did Brian Eno.

Also, name any songs in the top 50 within the past 10 years that were "obsessed with novelty." I'm sorry you have some weird vendetta against anything not status-quo, but you logic makes no sense.
>>
>>69567031
>the most music commonfolk ever heard was folk tunes
Also false. Plenty of "commonfolk" heard music in churches, from Bach cantatas to masses. Least I need to bring up public concerts and comic opera.
>>
>>69567039
>do it
listed some here >>69567046
>Choose any random album on Pitchfork's BNM
nah, pitchfork sucks
>I would place the end around the 1960s.
Surely something heralded this earth-shaking demise?
>>
File: 1474149894876.png (719KB, 1092x1185px) Image search: [Google]
1474149894876.png
719KB, 1092x1185px
I miss Ame and Antz shitposting.
>>
>>69564882
i want to stuff you in a locker, twerp
>>
>>69567046
kek, why do I even talk to pitchforktards.

Popular music's "pushing boundries" is very slight. Oh, the Beatles used computer effects. Oh, wow, Beefheart used some crazy rhythms and free jazz structures. It's good and unique, but novelty is not the aim of popular music. It isn't the aim of music in general, I don't think that's what it's for.

As for the avant-garde, it's dead. If you had any knowledge of art history you'd know that we've been repeating ourselves in the naive effort to be "shocking" that the "shocking" is now the status quo. Think of all the rich faggots who buy bullshit abstract impressionist bullshit and seriously think that it's worth anything. Novelty is not the end of anything, beauty and expression are much better markers. Haven't you noticed how every pop artist seems to "push boundries" in exactly the same way?

>>69567083
tard
>>
>"I like Death Grips and listen to Exmilitary at least once a month unironically"
>>
>>69567140
ok buddy
>>
>>69567166
Sorry, forgot that this is the music board mainly populated by underage kids who are incapable of abstract thought.
>>
>>69567183
I wanna post last don't reply please
>>
>>69567195
k
>>
>>69566007
Why the fuck do people lose their shit over those 3 second of light feedback
>>
File: 1458870461877.png (2MB, 1000x967px) Image search: [Google]
1458870461877.png
2MB, 1000x967px
>>69564882
>The token black guy in the back of the room made a silly Twitter face and a couple people gave that pity laugh they afford to black people when they know they're trying to be funny, but I wasn't done

Best part of the whole thing.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.