[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Bands that got (more) successful after replacing their lead

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

File: Paul Di'Anno.jpg (34KB, 312x466px) Image search: [Google]
Paul Di'Anno.jpg
34KB, 312x466px
>be singer in fairly successful metal band
>end up getting replaced by new guy
>band becomes one of the biggest bands of all time
Classic Paul Di'Anno
>>
Pink Floyd
>>
File: syd-barrett.jpg (53KB, 304x304px) Image search: [Google]
syd-barrett.jpg
53KB, 304x304px
>>69558865

>Makes classic pshychedelc
>Succes
>Tries LSD
>More success
>1968
>Then the band publishes Ummagumma
>>
Cannibal Corpse
>>
Genesis
Fleetwood Mac
Deep Purple
>>
>>69558948
>Deep Purple
Coverdale is fucking awful. They should've let Glenn Hughes sing.
>>
Oasis

Originally called The Rain and they replaced the frontman with Liam
>>
>>69558961
Gillan wasn't the original lead vocalist though, Rod Evans was before he formed Captain Beyond. Purple 2 and C. Beyond are both better than Purple 1 so that worked out well for all involved.
>>
Would Iron Maiden have gotten as large if they didnt switch out vocalists?
>>
>>69558996
Probably not. I couldn't imagine something like Number of the Beast being as big of a hit with Di'Anno's vocals.
>>
>>69558961
why do you think gillan era purple is also known as Mark 2, anon?
>>
>>69558996
I don't know, but I prefer the rougher sound of their first two albums
>>
Faith No More
Anthrax
>>
why are so many of these replies rock bands?
do rock artists have anger management issues or something?
>>
>>69558865
For better or worse, AC/DC
>>
File: 135736285892.jpg (581KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
135736285892.jpg
581KB, 1000x1500px
He became the frontman of Genesis after Peter Gabriel left and they ended up becoming one of the most successful pop bands of the 80s.

Also, unlike a lot of other million-selling pop acts of the 80s, Genesis actually had the artistic value to back the commercial success up.
>>
>>69559414
/thread
>>
>>69559321
I don't know about that. Both lead singers had about the same degree of success. People remember songs both of them did nowadays.
>>
>>69559414
>>69559461
and as completely amazing as his career is, the greatest thing he's created is Lilly
>>
>>69559488
I agree.
>>
>>69559532
Not a big fan that her names spelled with only two L's though. Maybe it's a British thing.
>>
>>69558996
They might have been a better band
>>
File: p01bqmwg[1].jpg (64KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
p01bqmwg[1].jpg
64KB, 960x540px
The comedian and actor said: “A member of the band – I won’t say who – said: ‘You know, this is such a great movie because it’s got such an amazing thing that happens in the middle.’”
“And I go: ‘What happens in the middle of the movie?’ He goes: ‘You know, Freddie dies.’ ... I go: ‘What happens in the second half of the movie?’ He goes: ‘We see how the band carries on from strength to strength.’
>>
>>69559321
>>69559481
They were gunna go big anyways and Brain fit Bons place well enough to keep riding the trajectory of the Bon Scott era. Id say Back in Black would be the tie breaker but Bon wrote it and Brain sung it for those signature vocals so id say theyre similar in terms of the all around success
>>
Mayhem
>>
>>69559481
No dude Bon Scott songs get played on the radio once for every 100 times a song with the other guy plays. It's too bad he died, the band was way more interesting with him in the picture and his vocals were less stadium rock and more punk.
>>
>>69560215
Yeah but not really though did it?
>>
RHCP could have been so good without Kiedis.
>>
File: PanteraMetalMagic.jpg (56KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
PanteraMetalMagic.jpg
56KB, 300x300px
Pantera
>>
>>69558996
Yes, they had a #4 album in the UK and had done headlining tours.
>>
>>69559003
they wrote most of the material for number of the beast after finding dickinson. so album would've been very dirrefent if they kept di'anno
>>
>>69559414
Big Genesis fan here, while I heavily prefer the material with Peter Gabriel, I can't lie and say that the Phil fronted stuff wasn't good. I like Trick of the Tail to Duke a lot, but Abacab and on is a bumpy ride for me. Some stand-out songs, but mostly stuff I'm not into. Having said that there is plenty of 80s mainstream music that I enjoy a lot. And I'm basically with you when you say that during their pop phase they retained their artistic abilities, but a lot of that stuff to me was merely being commercial to be commercial without much merit.
>>
>>69560753
It's because there are some bland commercial tracks here and there, they're mostly the ones that get a lot of radio play, like No Reply At All, Invisible Touch, In Too Deep and so on. But the albums from Abacab to We Can't Dance have quite a number of hidden gems.

Despite me preferring the Trespass to Duke period as well, I would say Abacab, S/T and Invisible Touch are good pop albums. We Can't Dance is pretty mediocre, though, there's a lot of unecessary tracks that are there just for the sake of padding the album length out.
>>
File: acdc2.jpg (241KB, 1454x931px) Image search: [Google]
acdc2.jpg
241KB, 1454x931px
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.