[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What 1970s funkadelic albums would you recommend instead of Donald

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: Awaken,_My_Love!.jpg (237KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Awaken,_My_Love!.jpg
237KB, 1200x1200px
What 1970s funkadelic albums would you recommend instead of Donald Glover's latest release?

I see lots of negative criticism regarding this album on the board and wish to know what you guys are comparing it to.
>>
I think the album's alright but it's pretty clearly ripping of Maggot Brain. Just listen to that.
>>
It's not 1970's funk but the neo-soul masters are what you should be listening to if you want to hear "inspiration made into your own thing" done right.

I would this song was made in the same vein as the Gumbino album but done a million times better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3q6kbTs04M
>>
>>69553834
>>69553954
Im so surprised to see such amazing responses in the first 2 posts

actually a little fucking pissed because now I have nothing to quickly post before the haters show up
>>
It doesnt rip off funkadelic on every track. zombie, boogieman me and your mama were the only ones that sounded like pfunk. He kind of jumped on the psych funk revival shit like U.M.O. and people like the internet and all of brainfeeder artists have been doing this shit a lot better for a long time. Still its a chill album and my favorite thing hes made easily
>>
>>69553783
America eats it's young is also pretty good.
>>
File: Black_Messiah.jpg (15KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
Black_Messiah.jpg
15KB, 220x220px
>>69553954
agreed

more recently i think pic related did what gambino wanted to do but better, but thats not really fair because dangelo is one hell of an artist to be compared too

though i do respect gambinos attempt to bring this kind of music to a modern, more pop-oriented, audience
>>
>>69554451
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZoxdPGu_4E&index=1&list=PL4LyJBWB_4o6VkpKgyD5UHNBBFGE5phfc
>>
kendrick lamar does it and he gets album of the year
>>
>>69553783
One Nation Under a Groove
Computer Games by George Clinton
Also Redman did that Funkadelic thing a 1000 times better than any modern rapper.
>>
>>69554472
tpab is a way better though
>>
>>69554472
TPAB was not neo soul...

It also had a shit load more depth to it
>>
>>69554098
not OP, but I agree with everything you said. Except BTI or possibly Culdesac, or Royalty is the best. I do not know, he is so fluent in all of his styles
>>
>>69554451
I don't really feel like he was trying to bring this kind of music to a different audience, rather he was creating seflishly without thinking about the audience. It's just a fact that his audience really isn't that familiar to this kind of music in the first place.
The way the songs plays out give me the feeling that they are either unfinished or that they are trying way too hard when the fundamental idea is too simple and basic.

This was his first attempt at creating this kind of music and already he is trying to change the way these kinds of songs are played out. Trying to revolutionize when he has not proved he is a master of the style.
>>
>>69554451
Gambino's wet dream is being esoteric, he's just not intelligent or talented enough, and so he's only capable of creating image - which attracts bitches. Nothing noble here.
>>
>>69553783
S/t
Free Your Mind and Your Ass Will Follow
Maggot Brain
Standing on the Verge of Getting it On

The classics beat any of this contrived revival slop. Also listen to some Sly Stone ; another reference point for CG (especially the There's A Riot Going On album)
>>
this is the first gambino album i have heard in full and i love it.
>>
>>69553783
Bootsy Collins: The name is Bootsy baby
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.