[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is 99% of modern shoegaze shitty drone/rock music with r

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: tumblr_inline_mzarq16b231rj5lpm.jpg (47KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_mzarq16b231rj5lpm.jpg
47KB, 500x500px
Why is 99% of modern shoegaze shitty drone/rock music with reverb instead of the ambient/downtempo experimentation it was in the 90's?

Same goes for post-rock. Why is 99% of it shitty crescendo-core instead of the innovative stuff it was in the 90's?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZueurvWak0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5kRrLmGJho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L7-cSH7P40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fiql9L7HABk
>>
Post-rock as we most like it died in 2005.
>>
>>69523346
Cause a generic style was established.
>>
>>69523346

>one band has unique style
>they get big
>other bands copy them and wide the popularity wave

it's the story of music
>>
explosions in the sky killed post-rock
>>
Is there a modern post-rock band that sounds like Talk Talk, Tortoise, Bark Psychosis, etc?
>>
>>69523638
Closest thing would be the last album by These New Puritans. Also, check Honeymoons by Matt Christensen.
>>
File: 1477163493890.jpg (102KB, 480x641px)
1477163493890.jpg
102KB, 480x641px
>Bowery Electric will NEVER make another album
>There are NO bands that replicate their sound
>>
...I...don't....know...but...it...makes...me...depressed...
>>
>>69523989
Thanks m8, I'll check them out. I see that the Puritans album is produced by Graham Sutton, so that already gives me hope.
>>
imo the best shoegaze of the present era is the noisy black metal inspired kind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h9jYXGDjDY
>>
File: hard.gif (750KB, 1200x1200px)
hard.gif
750KB, 1200x1200px
>>69523346
cute, but all shoegaze and post-rock is trash
>>
>>69526830
blakckgaze is garbage
>>
>>69526830
btw i'm not talking about deafheaven they can fuck off. not a fan of alcest either.
>>
because the shoegaze fans on this board are nothing but drone freaks who get a buzz from wank shoegaze

like "LSD and the Search for God" is just derivative MBV, has only one good song on it and they think it's actually good or "worthy".
>>
>>69523346
I don't know why you're singling out those genres, when the same could be said about virtually any popular music genre

That's what commercialization does
>>
File: 1480922976188.jpg (49KB, 592x386px)
1480922976188.jpg
49KB, 592x386px
people realized they could make money.

/thread
>>
>>69526859
yeah, see my post below.
i don't really know what to call the kind that i like. maybe it's more doom or industrial inspired.
another example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FntX88FYIoc
>>
>>69526849
It was great before Simon Reynolds and other journalist whores lumped all those weird and cool bands into genres thus giving a set of formulas for hacks to make by the numbers music for tasteless hipsters to circlejerk over.
>>
gimme some good post-rock
with moody, dready vibes to keep my stoned brain occupated
>>
>>69523346
Cause bands labeled shoegaze and post-rock weren't calling themselves shoegaze and post-rock, they were just playing the music.

Whenever I hear someone refer to themselves as Post-Rock I stay far away.
>>
>>69526859
Planning for Burial isn't blackgaze.
>>
>>69527382
/thread
>>
>>69523638
Grails might be up your alley. Incredibly underlooked band:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYqYtNWXX7s
>>
>>69527382
no, they were just making noise-pop and post-punk

sonic youth and nirvana were the ones that really cashed in
>>
>>69527517
I love Grails. All of their albums are great but they really came into their own starting with Burning Off Impurities. I'm hoping they come out with a new album soon because each album that they've released since then has been better than the last.
>>
>>69527658
They were until a point
>>
File: smiling loli.jpg (88KB, 544x483px)
smiling loli.jpg
88KB, 544x483px
>>69523346
The scenes became incestuous and started listening to each other as opposed to their original sources of inspiration. Once a set of techniques and aesthetics are codified (as a result of the "genre" label being applied and a scene popping up surrounding the label as opposed to the original scene of people popping up around the music) the music becomes homogenized in the mainstream.

The reason that this is more of a problem in "underground" pop sub-genres is that many of the people who begin making music within this new context and culture are not particularly gifted in the first place.

This can be seen most readily in "post-rock," which was a genre label realized in hindsight as a way of classifying otherwise stylistically and in some cases geographically disparate acts. Any attempt to define post-rock in a pure aesthetic way fails until you reach the third wave of bands, where influence had shifted away from things like krautrock, jazz, minimalism, lounge music, space age pop, folk music, etc. to the more recent bands within the "genre."

>>69527382
Ding ding ding.
>>
File: Red.jpg (38KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Red.jpg
38KB, 1000x1000px
>>69527311
Albums with an asterisk are recommendations for what you specified.

Durutti Column - The Return of the Durutti Column
* Pan American - Pan American
Ganger - Hammock Style
Tarentel - Ghetto Beats From The Surface of the Sun
Sam Prekop - Sam Prekop
Disco Inferno - The 5 EP's
* Boris & Merzbow - Rock Dream
Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest
* Exhaust - Enregistreur
Do Make Say Think - Goodbye Enemy Airship the Landlord is Dead
Jim O'Rourke - Bad Timing
Gastr Del Sol - Camofleur
Roy Montgomery - Temple IV
* Set Fire to Flames - Signs Reign Rebuilder
Southpacific - Constance
The Evpatoria Report - Golevka
* Bowery Electric - Beat
Stereolab - Emperor Tomato Ketchup
* Jessamine - Jessamine
Moonshake - Eva Luna
Labradford - Prazision LP
The Samuel Jackson Five - Easily Misunderstood
Brokeback - Field Recordings From the Cook County Water Table
* Tribes of Neurot / Walking Time Bombs - Static Migration
Lift to Experience - The Texas Jerusalem Crossroads
Macha - See it Another Way
Manta Ray - Manta Ray
Shalabi Effect - Feign to Delight Gaiety of Gods
Circle - Prospekt
Rhys Chatham - An Angel Moves too Fast to See
Ewa Braun - Stereo
Pram - The Stars are so Big, the Earth is so Small... Stay as You Are
John Fahey & Cul De Sac - The Epiphany of Glenn Jones
* Laika - Sounds of the Satellites
Friends of Dean Martinez - The Shadow of Your Smile
Tortoise - A Lazarus Taxon
Flying Saucer Attack - Flying Saucer Attack
Bark Psychosis - Hex
* Hood - Cabled Linear Tracion
* Seven Percent Solution - All About Satellites and Spaceships
* Th' Faith Healers - Imaginary Friend
Th' Faith Healers - Lido
Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space
Stereolab & Nurse With Wound - Simple Headphone Mind
Fridge - Sevens and Twelves
The American Analog Set - From Our Living Room to Yours
Hash Jar Tempo - Well Oiled
Seefeel - Quique
PiL - Metal Box
Tony Conrad with Faust - Outside the Dream Syndicate
>>
>>69528293
A much better explanation than mine, haha. 10/10
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.